Helpful Links

is this a bandwidth or STB problem?

Mentor

is this a bandwidth or STB problem?

My son recently moved back home a few weeks ago, so I added a 5th STB in the house.  He also plays an online fantasy war game called Starcraft or Stardust.  I have the 25/2 profile which provides 2 HD and 2 SD streams, and my bandwidth tests close to 6Mbps.  I get phone, internet, and TV on uverse.

When my son is playing the video game, and I talk on the land line, I often lose all sound on the phone for 1-2 seconds.  This continues every minute or so. 

I also intermittently see on the TV the error message that I can't watch an HD channel because they are all in use, even tho no one else is watching TV and nothing is being recorded.  If I then switch to another channel (HD or otherwise), everything is okay.  So the error message is incorrect and occurs whether or not my son is playing his online game.

So are these problems related to having too many STBs?  Can an online game consume 6 MBps by itself?  How much bandwidth will I have to get?  I guess since all the signals are digital, there is no way to dedicate some portion of the bandwidth so that I don't get audio problems over my voice line?

thanks for any insight you can provide,

-mj

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 5

Re: is this a bandwidth or STB problem?

I am having the same dropout problems on the telephone. But my dropouts last 5 to 8 seconds and are happening more often, but I don't have 5 STBs (only 1 in fact!) I was told when they set it up that it's a marginal situation, I will only get one HD stream, but I didn't care until now.

Sorry, I don't really have an answer to help you but I think we have the same problem- AT&T is trying to push huge amounts of data through antiquated POTS wires. It actually works amazingly well considering, but you and I are finding it's limitations.

Message 2 of 5
Expert

Download SomeJoe's 2wirerealtime.exe to see what bandwidth is being used in real time to see if you have a problem:

http://utalk.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/2WireRealtime-exe/td-p/209722

Hope this will help, good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 5
Employee

mjsoccerfan  At one time Uverse was having a problem with RG processing overload if you had all three services, TV, VoIP, and internet.  The solution was to place a router behind the RG to off load the internet processing from the RG. The installers carry a Linksys router or switch on their truck if they have not used up their inventory for the day.

Go ahead and run the 2WireRealtime  program to see if you may have other problems.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5
Mentor

thanks for the suggestions.  I will try the 2wireRealTime software

I already use an Apple Airport time machine as the wireless router for my home network.  I have left the 2wire gateway's wireless router on as well, but I will try turning that one off and see if that mitigates the bandwidth problem.

-mj

Escapee wrote:

mjsoccerfan  At one time Uverse was having a problem with RG processing overload if you had all three services, TV, VoIP, and internet.  The solution was to place a router behind the RG to off load the internet processing from the RG. The installers carry a Linksys router or switch on their truck if they have not used up their inventory for the day.

Go ahead and run the 2WireRealtime  program to see if you may have other problems.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support