Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 11, 2010
7:27:23 AM
View profile
i need help.. not getting the blue light..
hi.. I'm brand new to this... in my bedroom upstairs, we have a flatscreen hdtv.. it works perfectly with uverse.. but downstairs, I'm trying to hook up an older tube tv.. I dont get the blue light.. I'm thinking I know the problem.. I'm using regular [yellow/white/red] cables instead of the (blue/green/red) component cables.. is that my problem right there??? ..fyi- the tv and box are kiiiind of working.. but the picture freezes alot and makes it impossible to watch..
hi.. I'm brand new to this... in my bedroom upstairs, we have a flatscreen hdtv.. it works perfectly with uverse.. but downstairs, I'm trying to hook up an older tube tv.. I dont get the blue light.. I'm thinking I know the problem.. I'm using regular [yellow/white/red] cables instead of the (blue/green/red) component cables.. is that my problem right there??? ..fyi- the tv and box are kiiiind of working.. but the picture freezes alot and makes it impossible to watch..

i need help.. not getting the blue light..

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 8:53:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

Is the regular a HD TV? If not it will not come on. I think thats just for HD TV's and you will not get the blue light.I have a regular tube type TV thats non HD and the light doesn't come on.

Is the regular a HD TV? If not it will not come on. I think thats just for HD TV's and you will not get the blue light.I have a regular tube type TV thats non HD and the light doesn't come on.

Re: i need help.. not getting the blue light..

2 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 11:23:24 AM
(0)
Professor

twisted_pair wrote:

Tube TV's? What, your TV's are over 40 years old? That's why you don't see the TV tube testers in the drug stores anymore.

twisted_pair wrote:

Tube TV's? What, your TV's are over 40 years old? That's why you don't see the TV tube testers in the drug stores anymore.

3 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 11:24:16 AM
(0)
Professor

kraizy wrote:

They're called RCA cables.

kraizy wrote:

They're called RCA cables.

4 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:04:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

To start off, standard cables like the red/white/yellow RCA cables aren't going to make the picture seem any better bacause they don't support HD. You'll need component (red/blue/green) or HDMI to have the picture come in full screen.

Once you get those plugged in, change the input of the TV to get the picture back (some TVs have INPUT, TV/VIDEO or SOURCE buttons). If you get a list of inputs, hit the button again to switch choices. When you get the picture back you gotta fix the receiver aspect ratio. To do this, use the U-Verse remote and hit MENU, scroll over to the OPTIONS to the right (it's actually off the page), and then down to System Settings. Hit ok and then hit OK on Aspect Ratio.

Switch the ratio to the ratio of the TV (probably either 720p or 1080i) and hit OK. Then go back to the left and hit ok on continue. Hit start test. When the option to Keep Settings comes up, arrow up to it and hit OK. The blue light should come on at this point. If it's still too small, or you have 1080p, hit the Zoom button under number 9 and hit the arrows until you see the zoom settings (language comes up first). Set it to stretch and hit ok. The picture should be full screen at that point and the blue HD light will be on.

To start off, standard cables like the red/white/yellow RCA cables aren't going to make the picture seem any better bacause they don't support HD. You'll need component (red/blue/green) or HDMI to have the picture come in full screen.

Once you get those plugged in, change the input of the TV to get the picture back (some TVs have INPUT, TV/VIDEO or SOURCE buttons). If you get a list of inputs, hit the button again to switch choices. When you get the picture back you gotta fix the receiver aspect ratio. To do this, use the U-Verse remote and hit MENU, scroll over to the OPTIONS to the right (it's actually off the page), and then down to System Settings. Hit ok and then hit OK on Aspect Ratio.

Switch the ratio to the ratio of the TV (probably either 720p or 1080i) and hit OK. Then go back to the left and hit ok on continue. Hit start test. When the option to Keep Settings comes up, arrow up to it and hit OK. The blue light should come on at this point. If it's still too small, or you have 1080p, hit the Zoom button under number 9 and hit the arrows until you see the zoom settings (language comes up first). Set it to stretch and hit ok. The picture should be full screen at that point and the blue HD light will be on.

5 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:05:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If it's not an HD TV you don't get the blue light.  You can still watch HD channels which will be formatted differently (letter boxed or squished) but if your aspect ratio is set to 4:3, you won't get the blue light on that box.

If it's not an HD TV you don't get the blue light.  You can still watch HD channels which will be formatted differently (letter boxed or squished) but if your aspect ratio is set to 4:3, you won't get the blue light on that box.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:07:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

LOL Beat you to that one. hehehe

LOL Beat you to that one. hehehe

7 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:29:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
okay guys, so I just bought the blue/green/red component cables.. put em on.. still no blue light.. but the tv isn't hd, so I guess I dont need that blue light to come on.... now, my main problem is.....

..the picture quality is just so messed up.. it pauses, its boxy, I thought the new cables would fix that.. but it didn't.. help?
okay guys, so I just bought the blue/green/red component cables.. put em on.. still no blue light.. but the tv isn't hd, so I guess I dont need that blue light to come on.... now, my main problem is.....

..the picture quality is just so messed up.. it pauses, its boxy, I thought the new cables would fix that.. but it didn't.. help?

8 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:48:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

Didn't you say you had an HDTV flatscreen that you're working with? I'm confused.

Didn't you say you had an HDTV flatscreen that you're working with? I'm confused.

9 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:53:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It was the 'old' tube TV downstairs (probably only has coax and composite inputs,480i). :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

It was the 'old' tube TV downstairs (probably only has coax and composite inputs,480i). :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 23 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:56:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

kraizy wrote:

Go back to the YWR cables.  If the TV isn't HD, it's not going to matter.

kraizy wrote:

Go back to the YWR cables.  If the TV isn't HD, it's not going to matter.

11 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:57:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

As Skeeter mentioned above, when the Aspect Ratio on the U-verse DVR/STB is set to 4:3 standard definition, the blue light does not come on.  Since you have an SDTV, this is the correct setting and behavior.  With the SDTV, you should use either composite cables (red, white, yellow) or coaxial cables to connect the U-verse box to the TV.  You do not need the component cables (red, green, blue).

If you are experience freezing of the picture you may have some wiring issues at the location of that TV.  If the U-verse box is feed by a coaxial cable, make sure that connections are tight.  Also, download SomeJoe's Tool and post screenshots of the IP/Profile, Bitloading and Coax/HPNA tabs.  We can look at those to see if it appears you might have some issues.

As Skeeter mentioned above, when the Aspect Ratio on the U-verse DVR/STB is set to 4:3 standard definition, the blue light does not come on.  Since you have an SDTV, this is the correct setting and behavior.  With the SDTV, you should use either composite cables (red, white, yellow) or coaxial cables to connect the U-verse box to the TV.  You do not need the component cables (red, green, blue).

If you are experience freezing of the picture you may have some wiring issues at the location of that TV.  If the U-verse box is feed by a coaxial cable, make sure that connections are tight.  Also, download SomeJoe's Tool and post screenshots of the IP/Profile, Bitloading and Coax/HPNA tabs.  We can look at those to see if it appears you might have some issues.

12 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 12:58:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

:smileysurprised: LOL well keep in mind what my last post said. It'll work for HD anyway. As for that TV, go with mibrnsurg.

Not having the HD light won't stop you from viewing HD if you're subscribed. The aspect ratio is generally just about the picture size. Most HD TVs need a larger picture but SD doesn't.

:smileysurprised: LOL well keep in mind what my last post said. It'll work for HD anyway. As for that TV, go with mibrnsurg.

Not having the HD light won't stop you from viewing HD if you're subscribed. The aspect ratio is generally just about the picture size. Most HD TVs need a larger picture but SD doesn't.

13 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 1:37:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
sorry.. I have an hdtv upstairs that works perfectly.. the tv I'm having trouble with is downstairs which is not hd.. but regardless, I hooked up a spare (much smaller) hdtv to it and still had the same problems.. so either way.. hdtv or regular tv.. its having the same issue.. the picture is choppy, blocky, and freezes every 3 seconds.. I called at&t.. we may have solved the problem.. I had 3 component cables and 3 rca cables all hooked up and the lady said to unplug the yellow rca (video) cable, because it was 'confusing' the tv.. so we'll see if it works now... I'm in the (long)process of rebooting the whole receiver now..
sorry.. I have an hdtv upstairs that works perfectly.. the tv I'm having trouble with is downstairs which is not hd.. but regardless, I hooked up a spare (much smaller) hdtv to it and still had the same problems.. so either way.. hdtv or regular tv.. its having the same issue.. the picture is choppy, blocky, and freezes every 3 seconds.. I called at&t.. we may have solved the problem.. I had 3 component cables and 3 rca cables all hooked up and the lady said to unplug the yellow rca (video) cable, because it was 'confusing' the tv.. so we'll see if it works now... I'm in the (long)process of rebooting the whole receiver now..

14 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 1:41:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What do you have the settings on the stb that is connected to that other tv?

What do you have the settings on the stb that is connected to that other tv?

15 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 1:51:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Just to clarify, whether the blue light comes on or not is not dependent on the type of TV connected to the U-verse box.  It is totally dependent on the Aspect Ratio selected on the U-verse box. 

If a high definition Aspect Ratio (720p or 1080i) is selected, the blue light will come on.  If no high definition Aspect Ratio is selected, the blue light would not come on.  A high definition Aspect Ratio could be selected on a U-verse box connected to an SDTV, and the blue light would come on.  A standard definition Aspect Ratio could be selected on a U-verse box connected to an HDTV, and the blue light would not come on.

Just to clarify, whether the blue light comes on or not is not dependent on the type of TV connected to the U-verse box.  It is totally dependent on the Aspect Ratio selected on the U-verse box. 

If a high definition Aspect Ratio (720p or 1080i) is selected, the blue light will come on.  If no high definition Aspect Ratio is selected, the blue light would not come on.  A high definition Aspect Ratio could be selected on a U-verse box connected to an SDTV, and the blue light would come on.  A standard definition Aspect Ratio could be selected on a U-verse box connected to an HDTV, and the blue light would not come on.

16 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 1:56:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

That is why I asked about their settings.

That is why I asked about their settings.

17 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 2:08:51 PM
(0)
Tutor
I messed with all 4 aspect ratios.. none of them solved my problem.... the problem no longer has anything to do with the blue light.. I understand it doesn't need to be on, so that's got nothing to do with it.... my real problem is just that the picture is choppy, blocky, and is constantly freezing..... its like its stuttering.
I messed with all 4 aspect ratios.. none of them solved my problem.... the problem no longer has anything to do with the blue light.. I understand it doesn't need to be on, so that's got nothing to do with it.... my real problem is just that the picture is choppy, blocky, and is constantly freezing..... its like its stuttering.

18 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 2:13:02 PM
(0)
Tutor
rcsmg.. what does the stb settings mean? sorry I'm dumb lol
rcsmg.. what does the stb settings mean? sorry I'm dumb lol

19 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 2:26:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

kraizy wrote:

Changing the aspect ratio will not solve your freezing problem.  I still suspect wiring issues at the location of that TV.  Did you see my message earlier in the thread about downloading SomeJoe's tool and posting the screenshots?

kraizy wrote:

Changing the aspect ratio will not solve your freezing problem.  I still suspect wiring issues at the location of that TV.  Did you see my message earlier in the thread about downloading SomeJoe's tool and posting the screenshots?

20 of 23 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 2:30:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

kraizy wrote:

I was asking in response to your question about the blue light not being on.  But I got your answer here.

kraizy wrote:

I was asking in response to your question about the blue light not being on.  But I got your answer here.

21 of 23 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 2:38:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

Try checking for any loose cables both in the back of the receiver and the wall.

Try checking for any loose cables both in the back of the receiver and the wall.

22 of 23 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 8:27:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

It's loose cables or bad connectors on the cable, I had the same problem.  I have CAT5 (network cable) coming into my Remote Gateway (RG), then coaxial cable out to the TVs.

You can go to radio shack and buy some double shield connectors.  Replace the old ones, and make sure the silver shielding does not touch the copper wire (IMPORTANT).  The bad connector can be anywhere from your TV to the RG (if the cable is spliced anywhere between them).

Good luck, should fix the problem.

It's loose cables or bad connectors on the cable, I had the same problem.  I have CAT5 (network cable) coming into my Remote Gateway (RG), then coaxial cable out to the TVs.

You can go to radio shack and buy some double shield connectors.  Replace the old ones, and make sure the silver shielding does not touch the copper wire (IMPORTANT).  The bad connector can be anywhere from your TV to the RG (if the cable is spliced anywhere between them).

Good luck, should fix the problem.

23 of 23 (862 Views)