Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 30, 2009
10:30:31 AM
View profile
how to record over-the-air HD broadcast on motorola vip1216 DVR

I have a LCD HDTV. I would like to record over-the-air (OTA) HD broadcasts on the DVR I got from ATT (it is a motorola vip 1216 model).

1. Is this possible?

2. I have rabbit ear antenna to receive the OTA signals. I have connected the output of the antenna to the 'TO WALL (video in)' pin at the back of the vip1216 DVR. But I have no idea how to get the OTA channels to show up on my TV (when I connect antenna to TV directly, I can switch from the DVR to OTA broadcast effortlessly). Is this the way to go about it?

My DVR is connected to my TV using HDMI cable.

I have a LCD HDTV. I would like to record over-the-air (OTA) HD broadcasts on the DVR I got from ATT (it is a motorola vip 1216 model).

1. Is this possible?

2. I have rabbit ear antenna to receive the OTA signals. I have connected the output of the antenna to the 'TO WALL (video in)' pin at the back of the vip1216 DVR. But I have no idea how to get the OTA channels to show up on my TV (when I connect antenna to TV directly, I can switch from the DVR to OTA broadcast effortlessly). Is this the way to go about it?

how to record over-the-air HD broadcast on motorola vip1216 DVR

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 10:33:39 AM
(0)
Scholar
There is no way to do this.  If you are trying to record OTA HD that is on the U-Verse lineup, just record that channel, otherwise you are out of luck to record the other OTA channels that are not there.

It sucks, I know, but that's what we deal with when ATT does not have the other subchannels from the OTA channels.
There is no way to do this.  If you are trying to record OTA HD that is on the U-Verse lineup, just record that channel, otherwise you are out of luck to record the other OTA channels that are not there.

It sucks, I know, but that's what we deal with when ATT does not have the other subchannels from the OTA channels.

Re: how to record over-the-air HD broadcast on motorola vip1216 DVR

2 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 11:39:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

otafan wrote:

1. Is this possible?

1. Is this possible?

No

That connector is not an antenna input, it is coax using hpna (IP connection).  This would be for a cable coming from the Residential Gateway (RG) if the Ethernet port is not used.

otafan wrote:

1. Is this possible?

1. Is this possible?

No

That connector is not an antenna input, it is coax using hpna (IP connection).  This would be for a cable coming from the Residential Gateway (RG) if the Ethernet port is not used.

3 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 12:06:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
You will have to buy a dvd/vcr recorder and connect the antenna to it to record ota channels.
You will have to buy a dvd/vcr recorder and connect the antenna to it to record ota channels.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 12:21:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Will also need a digital converter box for OTA reception now for DVD recorder most likely. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Will also need a digital converter box for OTA reception now for DVD recorder most likely. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2009 1:36:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Chris - I don't think that he will need a converter box.  I think that his LCD TV already receives HD ATSC signals.  He will need an HD-DVD recorder to record the DVD's in HD, if there is such an animal.  This seems pretty complicated. 
Chris - I don't think that he will need a converter box.  I think that his LCD TV already receives HD ATSC signals.  He will need an HD-DVD recorder to record the DVD's in HD, if there is such an animal.  This seems pretty complicated. 

6 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2009 3:53:03 PM
(0)
Master
TiVo will record OTA in HD warning it requires a monthly subscription.
TiVo will record OTA in HD warning it requires a monthly subscription.

7 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2009 4:26:58 PM
(0)
Guru
As several others have said, you can't record directly to the AT&T DVR with an OTA.  But rather than pay the monthly TiVo fee, there is a box that LG made, the LST-3410A.  It records HD to an internal hard drive either from an antenna or some cable systems (not UVerse, sadly).  It used to get it's TV Guide information from a local PBS station "back in the day" when they were broadcast as analog signals (NTSC).  Those are gone, but it does have the ability to program manual recordings.  Just happen to have one sitting in my den ...
As several others have said, you can't record directly to the AT&T DVR with an OTA.  But rather than pay the monthly TiVo fee, there is a box that LG made, the LST-3410A.  It records HD to an internal hard drive either from an antenna or some cable systems (not UVerse, sadly).  It used to get it's TV Guide information from a local PBS station "back in the day" when they were broadcast as analog signals (NTSC).  Those are gone, but it does have the ability to program manual recordings.  Just happen to have one sitting in my den ...

8 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2009 5:37:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Good call. In addition to an OTA HD DVD-recorder, an OTA HD DVR would be nice too.
Good call. In addition to an OTA HD DVD-recorder, an OTA HD DVR would be nice too.

9 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2009 5:41:52 PM
(0)
Guru
That's what the LG LST-3410A is - a DVR.  It has inputs for antenna (with built in ATSC tuner), cable, and 2 sets of AV input (R/W/Y).  Outputs are 2 sets of Video (R/W/Y0, Component, S-Video, and DVI.  Also has optical audio out.
Message Edited by elliswl on 07-16-2009 05:45 PM
That's what the LG LST-3410A is - a DVR.  It has inputs for antenna (with built in ATSC tuner), cable, and 2 sets of AV input (R/W/Y).  Outputs are 2 sets of Video (R/W/Y0, Component, S-Video, and DVI.  Also has optical audio out.
Message Edited by elliswl on 07-16-2009 05:45 PM

10 of 13 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2009 8:00:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
It appears that SBC (d/b/a AT&T) u-verse latest TV HD DVR does not have any way to integrate the local broadcast OTA digital HD TV channels like their satellite competitor can (by adding the AM21 piggyback unit to their HR21/HD21P HD DVR) and have both the satellite and local broadcast HD combined so that one can search and select from one directory listing and without having to reconnect units or throw a single A/V switch.  This is a fatal selling flaw of SBC (AT&T) u-verse because although they promise to include the local broadcast stations, they only carry one-third the local channels (only the x-1) and none of the x-2, x-3 and x-4 alternate programming --- during tornado and grapefruit-sized hailstorms in the area, it is nice to be able to select the local broadcast of live weather radars to see which neighborhoods currently has the storms and when to duck for cover.  U-verse takes nearly 60+seconds to go through several menus to select local weather, and the picture is a state-wide weather map from the National Weather Service that is ten minutes old at the very best, while the local OTA broadcast is live weather radar feed.  
It appears that SBC (d/b/a AT&T) u-verse latest TV HD DVR does not have any way to integrate the local broadcast OTA digital HD TV channels like their satellite competitor can (by adding the AM21 piggyback unit to their HR21/HD21P HD DVR) and have both the satellite and local broadcast HD combined so that one can search and select from one directory listing and without having to reconnect units or throw a single A/V switch.  This is a fatal selling flaw of SBC (AT&T) u-verse because although they promise to include the local broadcast stations, they only carry one-third the local channels (only the x-1) and none of the x-2, x-3 and x-4 alternate programming --- during tornado and grapefruit-sized hailstorms in the area, it is nice to be able to select the local broadcast of live weather radars to see which neighborhoods currently has the storms and when to duck for cover.  U-verse takes nearly 60+seconds to go through several menus to select local weather, and the picture is a state-wide weather map from the National Weather Service that is ten minutes old at the very best, while the local OTA broadcast is live weather radar feed.  

11 of 13 (936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2009 8:20:15 PM
(0)
Guru

It appears that SBC (d/b/a AT&T) u-verse latest TV HD DVR does not have any way to integrate the local broadcast OTA digital HD TV channels like their satellite competitor can (by adding the AM21 piggyback unit to their HR21/HD21P HD DVR) and have both the satellite and local broadcast HD combined so that one can search and select from one directory listing and without having to reconnect units or throw a single A/V switch. This is a fatal selling flaw of SBC (AT&T) u-verse because although they promise to include the local broadcast stations, they only carry one-third the local channels (only the x-1) and none of the x-2, x-3 and x-4 alternate programming --- during tornado and grapefruit-sized hailstorms in the area, it is nice to be able to select the local broadcast of live weather radars to see which neighborhoods currently has the storms and when to duck for cover. U-verse takes nearly 60+seconds to go through several menus to select local weather, and the picture is a state-wide weather map from the National Weather Service that is ten minutes old at the very best, while the local OTA broadcast is live weather radar feed.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "fatal flaw", especially when most cable companies have the same "flaw". If you are comfortable with a separate device (eg. antenna) for OTA with Dish/DirecTV, why not just connect an antenna to the coax on the back of your TV? If  you want to record that programming, you could pick up a HD DVR like the LG device I talked about earlier.  In fact, if you are willing to cough up a few extra dollars each month for TiVo, they will keep track of, and let you record local broadcast channels on their DVR, along with providing options like streaming NetFlix and pictures and movies from your PC. Until the new kid on the block, UVerse, adds these features, I'm content to use TiVo for OTA on one of my HDMI connectors, UVerse on another, and my BluRay DVD on yet another.

Message Edited by elliswl on 08-10-2009 08:23 PM

It appears that SBC (d/b/a AT&T) u-verse latest TV HD DVR does not have any way to integrate the local broadcast OTA digital HD TV channels like their satellite competitor can (by adding the AM21 piggyback unit to their HR21/HD21P HD DVR) and have both the satellite and local broadcast HD combined so that one can search and select from one directory listing and without having to reconnect units or throw a single A/V switch. This is a fatal selling flaw of SBC (AT&T) u-verse because although they promise to include the local broadcast stations, they only carry one-third the local channels (only the x-1) and none of the x-2, x-3 and x-4 alternate programming --- during tornado and grapefruit-sized hailstorms in the area, it is nice to be able to select the local broadcast of live weather radars to see which neighborhoods currently has the storms and when to duck for cover. U-verse takes nearly 60+seconds to go through several menus to select local weather, and the picture is a state-wide weather map from the National Weather Service that is ten minutes old at the very best, while the local OTA broadcast is live weather radar feed.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "fatal flaw", especially when most cable companies have the same "flaw". If you are comfortable with a separate device (eg. antenna) for OTA with Dish/DirecTV, why not just connect an antenna to the coax on the back of your TV? If  you want to record that programming, you could pick up a HD DVR like the LG device I talked about earlier.  In fact, if you are willing to cough up a few extra dollars each month for TiVo, they will keep track of, and let you record local broadcast channels on their DVR, along with providing options like streaming NetFlix and pictures and movies from your PC. Until the new kid on the block, UVerse, adds these features, I'm content to use TiVo for OTA on one of my HDMI connectors, UVerse on another, and my BluRay DVD on yet another.

Message Edited by elliswl on 08-10-2009 08:23 PM

12 of 13 (936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2009 10:32:05 PM
(0)
Mentor
Couldn't you just look at live weather with the same computer you used to type the post ?
Couldn't you just look at live weather with the same computer you used to type the post ?

13 of 13 (936 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments