frequent interruptions with connection

Contributor

frequent interruptions with connection

Hi there,

Just got U-verse internet installed. And speed test show the download speed is near 12Mbps. However, it seems that the connection is frequently down so for 1 second of connection there is 10-20 seconds' interruption.

Last night I did some counting and for each web page I click,  I need to wait average 15 seconds for it to start loading, but once it started loading it's pretty fast. During all the time the lights on the router were green so seems working properly.

Is this connection problem or just  some settings in the router?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7 (702 Views)
Expert

Re: frequent interruptions with connection

Click on the link below, download and install the Realtime app.  Run it, take screen shots, and post them so we can see your stats.

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Message 2 of 7 (684 Views)
ACE - Expert

Two things you can try for slow web page load is the DNS server and the browser. Most complaints seem to come from Macs.

I use google DNS 8.8.8.8 and google chrome for browser. Whenever I have to go back to Safari, I get to take a nap.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 7 (678 Views)

I use Safari on my Mac and usually get very quick loading.  I have my old PC in the basement with IE8 and the loading is significantly (and irritatingly) slower.  I started with 6Mbps and now have 18, but loading has been faster on Safari at both speeds.  But I suppose things are not equal on all systems, and each user's experience will differ to some degree.

docbombay  

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein
Message 4 of 7 (671 Views)
ACE - Expert

ilvch wrote:

Hi there,

Just got U-verse internet installed. And speed test show the download speed is near 12Mbps. However, it seems that the connection is frequently down so for 1 second of connection there is 10-20 seconds' interruption.

Last night I did some counting and for each web page I click,  I need to wait average 15 seconds for it to start loading, but once it started loading it's pretty fast. During all the time the lights on the router were green so seems working properly.

Is this connection problem or just  some settings in the router?

Thanks

Wireless or wired?  If wireless, that's probably your answer.  See SJ's wireless interference post:

http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/230300...

If it is a DNS problem, the browser should say 'looking up......', then changing DNS might help. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 7 (655 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

RCSMG wrote:

Click on the link below, download and install the Realtime app.  Run it, take screen shots, and post them so we can see your stats.

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

I had trouble download the executable yesterday. The best I got was download 6M of the 10M file before getting stuck. Finally I used GoogleWiFi to complete the download.

I have screen shot of the Error Table of the U-Verse Realtim. But how do I attach it in the post?

Message 6 of 7 (637 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]
I use wireless and the channel is set to 9. But I also tried connect another wireless router to the U-verse router and use the additional router's wireless. The problem is still there.
I don't have the "looking up..." problem. It's usually "time out" or "connection was reset" message.

mibrnsurg wrote:
Wireless or wired?  If wireless, that's probably your answer.  See SJ's wireless interference post:

http://forums.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/230300...

If it is a DNS problem, the browser should say 'looking up......', then changing DNS might help. Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 7 of 7 (635 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.