freeze problems constantly

Mentor

freeze problems constantly

Hi all,

I hope this is the right spot for this. I have had problems for the last few months with my Uverse freezing and pixelating distortion of whatever we're watching. HD is bad about it,but the regular channels are bad now to. I am constantly having to reset the boxes on all 3 tv's, or unplugging the modem. I've had them out here numerous times. Today I can't even get it to stay fixed. I have called so much they gave me my techs phone # and told me to call him for the next 30 days and not call in. Well,the guy's been here a few times,changes the lines,leaves,and in about an hour or so it does it again and as time goes by,it gets worse as it has today. My internet works fine. I like uverse,better than comcast. I've had this since 2005. I am really getting frustrated. Talked to a sup and all he did was give me a discount for 6 months. I want them to send a sup out here to check it. I don't think it's a line problem in my house. I told them the boxes have not been changed,nor the modem. Any help would be appreciated!

TIA,

Message 1 of 38
Contributor

Re: freeze problems constantly

Hi - I have the same problem too.  Uverse "customer service" is absolutely the worst and can't do anything to fix this.  I've had 4 gateways and 3 dvr replaced.  WiFi always going in and out. Now the freezing and pixelating.  Less than 2 years of this after switching from comcast cable.  regretting the change... probably going to dish now.  I absolutely hate this provider.  good luck. i needed to vent.

Message 2 of 38
Mentor

I definately understand!!! I had Comcast before this and hated them..the customer service was worse than uverse and they didn't have every channel digital. I thought about going back but don't wanna. Afraid if I go with Dish then when bad weather arrives, no picture.

I can't even get them to change out my modem or my boxes. I told them well..the linemen sure can't seem to get the lines fixed after they say they are,so what else is left? The sup gave me 20.00 discount for the next 6 months and HD free for 1. Was going to give me free channels and I said what for? I can't watch 'em!!!

I am at a loss and am about to give up.

Message 3 of 38
Teacher

Well, that is not good.  I am in the process of determine if I want to switch over and have witnessed the pixelation problem first hand on a friends TV. I couldn't not live with periodic pixelation. I have a Pioneer Plasma for a reason.

If you google u-verse pixilation, you will find tons of people discussing this issue.

If I were you, the first thing I would do is get a handle on your packet statistics. Find out how to determine errors and other issues.  Once you have this knowledge, you can determine if your tech is improving the situation when he comes out.

Here is an example post of what I'm referring to

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20599613-Pixelation-in-UVerse-TV

Message 4 of 38
Mentor

I'll google it and see. I understand it happening once in awhile. But not everytime I turn on my tv and not having a picture and having to reset it more times than I can count. After they mess with the lines,it works for awhile and by the end of 1-2 weeks it's so bad I can't stand it anymore. I don't know if I'd understand what to check for or not. We have a new flat screen as well,but I had these problems before I got the new tv this year to.

I really don't wanna switch..but I might.

I'll go check out the link you sent and google this issue later and see what I can figure out.

Thanks

Message 5 of 38
Teacher

Have you tried pulling the power plug on all of your equipment including your TV and anything else that is connected to your STB and RG? Wait 30 seconds and then plug back in. I would do that, and follow the boot up order.  I would also reduce all unessesary equipment off your line.

It sounds more like a problem where it builds up over time and then fails. This is indicative of a piece of equipment having problems, for example, what is referred to as a memory leak.  Pulling power would temporarily solve a problem like this. Start will pulling the power plug on all equipment at first.  If it seems to fix the problem, then pull power on one box at a time until you find the offending box.

You could have a router, PC or unrelated peiece of equipment injecting bad packets on your network, who knows, even a virus that is expoiting some vulnerability that is known to hackers.

Still - don't forget to learn how to look at your packets stats - this is the most informative thing you can do

Message 6 of 38
Mentor

I have pulled the cord on them then plugged back in..the box, the modem,the tv(the main one all are on a power strip and I've unplugged that to.so all have been unplugged and plugged back in. After the last time he came out it was only a couple of hours and I had to reset it and it was freezing up again. So it starts again the same day. As of now it's been 2 weeks since I called them back. I couldn't get any of it to work today until I unplugged the modem 2 seperate times. It got stuck on the orange screen and just stayed there on 2 different occasions today. At the moment it isn't acting up,but it will.

Message 7 of 38
Expert

Those of you having freezing or pixelation problems:

Download U-Verse Realtime from www.uverserealtime.com, install it, run it and post screenshots of the IP/Profile, Bitloading, and Coax/HPNA tabs. This should give us some information on your line and its capabilities, and if there are any problems that need to be looked at.

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 38
Mentor

I'm installing it..gotta remember how to do a screenshot,lol.

Message 9 of 38
Expert

Select "save screen shot" save it to a folder on your computer.  Open a post and click on the little tree located on the little bar above the "body panel" which is the insert/edit image button.  Navigate to the screen shots and select them.

Message 10 of 38
Mentor

thank you..I saw that feature was already on there..here is what I have:

2710iE024E5FB0776B3B3

2708i588AC6B7E5392955

2706i8F693296CFFAA252

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 38
Expert

When the mods approve your pictures they will be available to for review.

Message 12 of 38
Mentor

ok..i can see them already though..but maybe cuz I'm the poster,lol

Message 13 of 38
Mentor

I have now reset it for the 5th time since noon..sick of it.

Message 14 of 38
Teacher

Thanks for posting this RCSMG - it will come in handy when I get U-Verse.

Could you answer my question over here:

http://utalk.att.com/t5/Equipment/STB-network-port-question-RG-6-used-to-distribute-video-data/td-p/...

Thanks!

Message 15 of 38
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support