Helpful Links

dvr freeze fixed? Simple, but worked

Highlighted
Mentor

dvr freeze fixed? Simple, but worked

I have been having many problems with freezing video on the dvr and affiliated stb's. So after 2 house calls and a dozen tech calls it came to this.

every time they reset the box they would forget to queue in the correct time zone.

once I put in correct time zone....wallah it was fixed.

I fired up 2 HDTV TV's and 2 SD TV's plus the internet to make sure I was using all bandwidth and the dvr's did not freeze up.

I can not believe this fixed this problem.

I thought I would pass along to help any others.

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 33
Employee

Re: dvr freeze fixed? Simple, but worked

Your fix will make FuzioN a very happy camper. Everybody gave him a hard time for suggesting this as a fix.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 33
Mentor

foxtvman wrote:

I have been having many problems with freezing video on the dvr and affiliated stb's. So after 2 house calls and a dozen tech calls it came to this.

every time they reset the box they would forget to queue in the correct time zone.

once I put in correct time zone....wallah it was fixed.

I fired up 2 HDTV TV's and 2 SD TV's plus the internet to make sure I was using all bandwidth and the dvr's did not freeze up.

I can not believe this fixed this problem.

I thought I would pass along to help any others.

Setting time zone for a box corrected freezing?

just out curiousity, was the tech who helped you on the phone from Manilla?  This is a common thing they say/do which is not true and does not exist at all.  And yes, I know that for a fact............

And no , I have nothing against the people from the Philippines.  

Message Edited by flourdude on 05-05-2009 08:38 PM
Message 3 of 33
Mentor

Nope his name was Anthony from Denver.

I wish I could give myself a kudos and a solved. Seriously I was very frustrated and I can not believe it was this simple,but overlooked. He was right as my gateway was set to Samoa time, not quite the Philippines, but close!

Message 4 of 33
Master

Advanced – Configure Time Services
Current Time Settings
Date:Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Time:08:05:19 AM
Time Zone: 
Time Configuration:Automatic

Manually Set Time/Date
Time Zone: (GMT-11:00) Midway Island, Samoa (GMT-10:00) Hawaii (GMT-09:00) Alaska (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana (GMT-07:00) Arizona (GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00) Central America (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) (GMT-06:00) Guadalajara, Mexico City, Monterrey (GMT-06:00) Saskatchewan (GMT-05:00) Bogota, Lima, Quito (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time, (US & Canada) (GMT-05:00) Indiana (East) (GMT-04:00) Atlantic Time (Canada) (GMT-04:00) Caracas, La Paz (GMT-03:00) Newfoundland (GMT-03:00) Brasilia (GMT-03:00) Buenos Aires, Georgetown (GMT-03:00) Greenland (GMT-02:00) Mid-Atlantic (GMT-01:00) Azores (GMT-01:00) Cape Verde Is. (GMT) Casablanca, Monrovia (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, Dublin, Edinburgh, London (GMT+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna (GMT+01:00) Belgrade, Bratislava, Budapest, Prague (GMT+01:00) Brussels, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris (GMT+01:00) Sarajevo, Skopje, Sofija, Warsaw, Zagreb (GMT+01:00) West Central Africa (GMT+02:00) Athens, Istanbul, Minsk, Bucharest (GMT+02:00) Cairo (GMT+02:00) Harare, Pretoria (GMT+02:00) Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn (GMT+02:00) Jerusalem (GMT+03:00) Kuwait, Riyadh (GMT+03:00) Moscow, St. Petersburg, Volgograd (GMT+03:00) Nairobi (GMT+04:00) Abu Dhabi, Muscat (GMT+04:00) Baku, Tbilisi, Yerevan (GMT+04:30) Kabul (GMT+05:00) Ekaterinburg (GMT+05:00) Islamabad, Karachi, Tashkent (GMT+05:30) Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi (GMT+05:45) Kathmandu (GMT+06:00) Almaty, Novosibirsk (GMT+06:00) Astana, Dhaka (GMT+06:00) Sri Jayawardenepura (GMT+06:30) Rangoon (GMT+07:00) Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta (GMT+07:00) Krasnoyarsk (GMT+08:00) Beijing, Chongqing, Hong Kong, Urumqi (GMT+08:00) Irkutsk, Ulaan Bataar (GMT+08:00) Kuala Lumpur, Singapore (GMT+08:00) Perth (GMT+08:00) Taipei (GMT+09:00) Osaka, Sapporo, Tokyo (GMT+09:00) Seoul (GMT+09:00) Yakutsk (GMT+09:30) Adelaide (GMT+09:30) Darwin (GMT+10:00) Brisbane (GMT+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney (GMT+10:00) Guam, Port Moresby (GMT+10:00) Hobart (GMT+10:00) Vladivostok (GMT+11:00) Magadan, Solomon Is., New Caledonia (GMT+12:00) Auckland, Wellington (GMT+12:00) Fiji, Kamchatka, Marshall Is.

Configure Internet Time Servers
Time Servers:ntp1.sbcglobal.net
 ntp2.sbcglobal.net
 ntp3.2wire.com
 ntp4.2wire.com
 ntp.ucsd.edu
Message 5 of 33
Master

foxtvman wrote:

Nope his name was Anthony from Denver.

I wish I could give myself a kudos and a solved. Seriously I was very frustrated and I can not believe it was this simple,but overlooked. He was right as my gateway was set to Samoa time, not quite the Philippines, but close!

Everyone's defaults to the Samoan time, as it is the first thing listed in the dropdown menu, however, everyone's actual time, is correct for their time zone, otherwise, there would be a lot more problems.

We heard of this so called fix before and I think you are the second person (outof how man people?) to say that it has actually worked.

Think about it. If the times were completely off for your time zone, your guide would be wrong all the time and the ;program listings would be completely off.

Plus, when I, and many other have gone in and tried to change from the Samoan time, it has always reverted back to Samoan time.

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=A06&THISPAGE=&NEXTPAGE=A06

You'll need the password off of the RG to access the above page, but I am willing to bet that yours too, will revert back to the Samoan time sometime soon.

You will notice that I am at Samoan time, yet my actual time, is correct for the eastern time zone, allowing for a few minutes it took to make this post and to upload the photo. :smileywink:

Message 6 of 33
Mentor

I should probably rephrase what I said up above since I now see how I wrote it the way I didn't intend to. I apologize.

Setting the box to a specific time zone  would not help keep your system from freezing. I wish it would be as simple as that but it isn't..  I don't see any correlation at all and this has been discussed by my peers and superiors and they pretty much agree as well. I see this being done in the particular region I was talking about and everything else is ignored.  It is used a simple but temporary fix without really addressing the long term issue/cause.

Usually the freezing involves some sort of equipment problem or (even more so) cabling/wiring issues. It  could be just as simple as a loose connection, a bad compression fitting going into the rg, or whole laundry list of things.

Message 7 of 33
Professor

I've changed my time zone several times, at least at first, but then realized, like Pip said, that it just goes back to Samoan time regardless.
Message 8 of 33
ACE - Master

The last time that I called a tech I was having lots of break ups and hiccups and jitters, she (a girl from the Philipenes) said I see that your time zone is set wrong.  It is set for "American Samoa."  She said "that could account for lots of your problems."
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 33
Professor

dhascall wrote:
The last time that I called a tech I was having lots of break ups and hiccups and jitters, she (a girl from the Philipenes) said I see that your time zone is set wrong.  It is set for "American Samoa."  She said "that could account for lots of your problems."

Well if that's the case, then I guess someone needs to let us know how to save our changes.  Like I said, I've tried it, always goes back to Samoan time.

Message 10 of 33
Master

so u guys  think because u see the first line in the drop down box its set wrong ??

i dont    check your time and zone and it will be correcct i bet.....

Manually Set Time/Date
off

my slant

randy

Time Line  

2009/05/06 16:25:12 CDT 3

Message Edited by randyl on 05-06-2009 04:36 PM
Message 11 of 33
Employee

I wonder if setting the time zone is also resetting some other bit or option that was his real problem. It is not fix for any freezing problems except whatever was causing Foxtvman's problem.  In his case it worked. It may be 100K more freezing pics calls before it helps someone else.  

It is not the fix all ills some SRs think it is for all the reasons stated and most of the time it is a waste of time. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 33
Professor

You are absolutley right Randy...imagine that though LOL!!

Current Date and Time

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

04:44:08 PM

is the correct date and time.

Message 13 of 33

Lol .... Guy from manila....think i had him the other day....when i call to upgrade to the 1225 stb dvr....and he didnt know anything....and he was supposed to be tier 2....he kept reading me my bill
Message 14 of 33
Mentor

coleman1209 wrote:
Lol .... Guy from manila....think i had him the other day....when i call to upgrade to the 1225 stb dvr....and he didnt know anything....and he was supposed to be tier 2....he kept reading me my bill

Sorry you had to deal with that as well.. Not all are like that from Manila.

For me, it is just sad that this  whole time zone thing is a common "fix" that really in the end does nothing or solves the underlying problem yet I see it time and time again.

Message 15 of 33
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Additional Support