Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 24, 2010
7:22:10 AM
View profile
does the slingbox have to connect to the router ??

looking to purchase the solo and trying to figure out where I can put it.

looking to purchase the solo and trying to figure out where I can put it.

does the slingbox have to connect to the router ??

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2010 8:55:05 AM
(0)
Employee

Video and audio connect to the Set-top box or DVR, the network cable can directly connecto the the RG, or to the RG via switch. In an UNSUPPORTED config, if your STB /DVR is connected via coax back to the RG, then you can plug the Slingbox network connection into the open Ethernet port on the STB/DVR.

Unsupported in that under some circumstances, you may see degraded quality on the DVR/STB that the Slingbox is plugged into.

Video and audio connect to the Set-top box or DVR, the network cable can directly connecto the the RG, or to the RG via switch. In an UNSUPPORTED config, if your STB /DVR is connected via coax back to the RG, then you can plug the Slingbox network connection into the open Ethernet port on the STB/DVR.

Unsupported in that under some circumstances, you may see degraded quality on the DVR/STB that the Slingbox is plugged into.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: does the slingbox have to connect to the router ??

2 of 8 (4,611 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 6:50:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am also looking into purchasing a Slingbox or the new Vulkano. However, the stb that I'd like to connect to is not near the RG. Can I hook the Slingbox/Vulkano into a network switch that also connects the stb?

I am also looking into purchasing a Slingbox or the new Vulkano. However, the stb that I'd like to connect to is not near the RG. Can I hook the Slingbox/Vulkano into a network switch that also connects the stb?

3 of 8 (4,608 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 8:37:36 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by sportsman_1 on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:37:54 PM

from the slingbox.com website:

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd-faq

"My TV is in a different room than my broadband modem and router. How am I supposed to connect the Slingbox to it?

If stringing a cable across your living room floor doesn't appeal to you, check out the SlingLink TURBO. It turns any electrical socket into an Ethernet jack. SlingLink comes in pairs. Plug one into a power socket and your router in the room where your router is located. Plug the other SlingLink into another power socket and your Slingbox. The SlingLink creates a network connection using the electrical wiring in your home.

You can also use a wireless gaming adapter to connect the Slingbox to your router, much in the same way a gaming console is connected to the Internet."

I have the Slingbox and I love it.

from the slingbox.com website:

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd-faq

"My TV is in a different room than my broadband modem and router. How am I supposed to connect the Slingbox to it?

If stringing a cable across your living room floor doesn't appeal to you, check out the SlingLink TURBO. It turns any electrical socket into an Ethernet jack. SlingLink comes in pairs. Plug one into a power socket and your router in the room where your router is located. Plug the other SlingLink into another power socket and your Slingbox. The SlingLink creates a network connection using the electrical wiring in your home.

You can also use a wireless gaming adapter to connect the Slingbox to your router, much in the same way a gaming console is connected to the Internet."

I have the Slingbox and I love it.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (4,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 11:03:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. However, I wouldn't need a slinglink or wireless adapter because I already have a network cable there for the Uverse STB. 

I'm just wondering if I can both the Slingbox/Vulkano device and the Uverse STB to the same 10/100 network switch without any issues. The network switch would then connect to a single port on the RG.

Thanks for the reply. However, I wouldn't need a slinglink or wireless adapter because I already have a network cable there for the Uverse STB. 

I'm just wondering if I can both the Slingbox/Vulkano device and the Uverse STB to the same 10/100 network switch without any issues. The network switch would then connect to a single port on the RG.

5 of 8 (4,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 11:26:29 PM
(0)
Guru

A46220 wrote:

A Gigabit switch is preferred, though as long as the 10/100 switch supports IGMP snooping (very few do), it should work fine

A46220 wrote:

A Gigabit switch is preferred, though as long as the 10/100 switch supports IGMP snooping (very few do), it should work fine

6 of 8 (4,566 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

7 of 8 (4,547 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2010 8:35:54 AM
(0)
Expert

Yep, that one should work well.

Yep, that one should work well.

8 of 8 (4,526 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments