cannot log on to pop.att.yahoo.com

Contributor

cannot log on to pop.att.yahoo.com

Hi, I'm a new uverse customer and I'm looking for help here because I don't want to spend another hour in help chat with a technical service rep if I can help it.

They tried helping me set up my e-mail today - I couldn't log in anywhere at all with my att account - finally changed username and password to something new, logged in to uverse, but still couldn't get signed in to yahoo.  They finally told me it was a known error and it was being worked on.  They said to try again in 2-4 hours.

Well, here I am 8 hours later.

I'm running WIndows Vista Home Premium SP2.  I've never set up or used Windows Mail on this machine, but that's what it has and I'd like to use it.  Why? Because I'm naturally lazy and don't want to set up something else right at this moment, I guess.

Anyway, I followed the handy-dandy "Set It Up Your Own **bleep** Self" guide on the uverse site.  Everything seemed to go as the step by step guide said that it would - except then Yahoo had to rear its ugly head again.  It wanted me  to log on to pop.att.yahoo.com.  So I did, using my brand new just set up this afternoon user name and password which DOES let me sign in to my uverse account.  Well, Yahoo wasn't having any of that.  When I hit submit, it just popped up with the same window asking for the user name and password again and again and again and again...well, you get the idea.

Now, I am overy impatient and thought I could make an end run around this pesky and hopefully unnecessary logon step.  Yes, I said unnecessary.  No, I don't know why I thought logging on to the server could be unnecessary.  I just hoped maybe in this one instance it could be magical and unnecessary.  It's not.  I did x out of the log on box, checked the advanced settings to make sure all was as it should be, and set about testing the email by sending an email to myself.

I tried to send it and after a lifetime of waiting, got this little gem:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I did try to read a thread about port 25, but it seemed a bit above my pay grade.

If anyone has read this far, thank you.  Surely your time in Purgatory will be lessened by the time you spent reading this.

Can anyone offer some assistance?

Dawn

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: cannot log on to pop.att.yahoo.com

These are the settings you need for conection:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570

Good luck :smileywink:

Edit:  Ckick on the blue How do I set up my email account?

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Yep, those match my settings.  Yahoo still wants me to log on.  Every time I do and hit submit, the log on box refreshes itself and comes back like a zombie.  Perhaps I should offer it brains.

Thanks anyway,

Dawn

Message 3 of 8
Scholar

Fromt the error message returned it appears that you have your E-Mail client configured wrong. The client needs to have Outgoing Mail (SMTP) set to Port 465 with the Secure Connection (SSL) option checked. the Incoming Mail (POP3) set to Port 995 with the Secure Connection (SSL) option checked.

Server Addresses:

Incoming Mail (POP3)      pop.att.yahoo.com

Outgoing Mail (SMTP)      smtp.att.yahoo.com

Can you log into your account from the AT&T webpage using your username and password?

Hope this helps.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

That's what my support link says and the OP said that's how theirs is set up already and got the error. :smileysurprised:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Chris is right, and I've doublechecked the settings about 500 times now.  Everything is correct and I still (as of two minutes ago) am getting the neverending zombie sign in box.

I cannot log in through the uverse page that sends you to the yahoo page either. The tech assured me yesterday that if I could sign in to uverse I could sign in and use the yahoo webmail.  Such is not the case.

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

What I might suggest is you get a gmail account and use it all the time, since yahoo access is being such a hassle. :smileywink:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13273  adding POP access to gmail acct

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=12103  configuration of email client

Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Message 7 of 8
Scholar

Check you Firewall and Firewall Software. It is possibel that is is blocking the required port for AT&T E-Mail access. In addition I would call AT&T and have them reset you password to the account.

Under the E-Mail Server username are you including the username.swbell.net or in your case it might be username.sbcglobal.net In additon mine has the checkbox for Log on with clear text authentication.

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support