Helpful Links

can you change the SSID and WEP key?

Tutor

can you change the SSID and WEP key?

My wife decided to switch us from Comcast to UVerse yesterday, so I've been reading up on how this system works. One thing I noticed is that they predefine the wireless network SSID and WEP key for each in home network. Well, that's secure - NOT! 

Has anybody figured out how to override that? Is there software embedded in the gateway where that is defined? If so, perhaps it can be overridden?

Alternatively, has anybody just connected their residential getway with and ethernet cable to an existing wireless router and continued running the existing wireless network? It seems like that should work fine, no? My wireless network is very reliable and quite secure, and not at all dependent on my IP service provider. So while there may be times we cannot connect to the internet, at least we can connect to each other.

Message 1 of 8
Mentor

Re: can you change the SSID and WEP key?

ITGuy wrote:

My wife decided to switch us from Comcast to UVerse yesterday, so I've been reading up on how this system works. One thing I noticed is that they predefine the wireless network SSID and WEP key for each in home network. Well, that's secure - NOT! 

Has anybody figured out how to override that? Is there software embedded in the gateway where that is defined? If so, perhaps it can be overridden?

Alternatively, has anybody just connected their residential getway with and ethernet cable to an existing wireless router and continued running the existing wireless network? It seems like that should work fine, no? My wireless network is very reliable and quite secure, and not at all dependent on my IP service provider. So while there may be times we cannot connect to the internet, at least we can connect to each other.

Yes, you can log into the rg and change all the information that you want

the ip is 192.168.1.254

you can find your system password on the rg itself.

You can hook up your router to the rg, but you want to log into

192.168.1.254/mdc , go to thconfiguration or settings link on the left (close to the wireless information) and disable the router behind router warning.  This is not afail proof set-up.  The rg will not always play nice with another router behind it, but it is worh a shot.  

also, be aware that if you call tech support and they reset the rg, all of this information will probably be reset back to factory defaults, ie 2wirexxx and factory WEP key.  

Hope this helps! 

Message 2 of 8
Teacher

Yeah, changing that is pretty easy.  On the other hand, I found port forwarding to be a little tricky (wasn't exactly easy to find).  It was much easier with my old linksys wrt54g. 
Message 3 of 8
Expert

Here's how to setup your router to work from Computer-Joe: http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&message.id=8149#M8149

:smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9 Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

Message 4 of 8
Expert

What Miah said is correct, and I agree with you both.
You can continue to use your existing router for Wireless, just turn off the WAP in the UV's RG when you get it.
Good for you for reading up before your install, you'll be way ahead of the game.
Let us know how it goes. :smileyhappy:

ITGuy wrote:

Message 5 of 8
Tutor

thanks all for the info. I also like my wrt54gs, and think I'll keep it running.
Message 6 of 8
Expert

Good luck with the install. :smileyhappy:
Message 7 of 8
Tutor

very easy to change.  i disabled boradcasting the  ssid, changed encryption to wpa2 and used a different, 63 digit key to connect.
Message Edited by bryn987 on 03-01-2009 08:39 PM
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Additional Support