Xbox 360 with Router behind Router setup media share problem

Mentor

Xbox 360 with Router behind Router setup media share problem

i currently have uverse tv and internet and i just got the xbox 360 to be used a a stb.  i currently have a linksys wireless n router that i want to put behind the 2wire rg.  i currently have my one stb and xbox 360 connected to the rg with ethernet then i have one ethernet going from the rg to my n router.  my pc is connected to my n router and i am trying to get my xbox 360 to recognize my pc so i can stream music.   everything seems to be working (have internet access on n router side and my stbs are working, also xbox live is working too).  i just cant seem to get my xbox 360 and pc to see each other for media sharing.  can somebody please help me with what my configurations should be?  Thanks
Message 1 of 6 (2,705 Views)

Re: Xbox 360 with Router behind Router setup media share problem

[ Edited ]

Do you have your "N" router set up as just an access point for the RG?

edit: Is the "N" router connected by it's WAN port to the RG? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Message 2 of 6 (2,678 Views)
Mentor

The wan on the n router goes into one of the 4 ports on the rg
Message 3 of 6 (2,663 Views)

mtavery24 wrote:
The wan on the n router goes into one of the 4 ports on the rg

Were you trying to use the "N" router as a wireless access point only, or were you trying to isolate your computers from the STBs?

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, reboot the "internal" router, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs and the XBOX, they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax. Now when it comes to communicating between the XBOX and your PC for streaming you will need to hard code the IP addresses in their configurations. For example the XBOX would need to have the IP (192.168.2.*) entered to find the PC/Server and the PC/Server would need to have the IP (192.168.1.*) entered to find the XBOX/Media Extender.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 6 (2,652 Views)
Mentor

I have everything set up up to the point of your last paragragh. You talk about hard coding the up addresses into both to get the media sharing to work. How would I do that? Everything seems to he working ok except when I tey to connect to my pc to stream music from windows media player to Xbox. My pc doesn't even show up on my Xbox when it scans for media servers.
Message 5 of 6 (2,644 Views)

mtavery24 wrote:
I have everything set up up to the point of your last paragragh. You talk about hard coding the up addresses into both to get the media sharing to work. How would I do that? Everything seems to he working ok except when I tey to connect to my pc to stream music from windows media player to Xbox. My pc doesn't even show up on my Xbox when it scans for media servers.

Ok, I have not been able to find any info/documentation for the XBOX for manually entering a media server IP. The reason why they can not see each other is that right now they are on different subnets. XBOX is on the 192.168.1.* subnet and the MCE PC is on the 192.168.2.* subnet.

Can you access the RG by typing 192.168.1.254 in your browser on the MCE PC?

Can you ping the XBOX by it's IP address from your MCE PC?

It might be a NetBIOS issue.

You might try manually entering additionl DNS servers in the PC and the XBOX. In other words, on the PC's network config, it should show the "N" router's address as the primary DNS and on the XBOX it should show the RG's address as primary DNS. Add the RG's address to the PC as secondary DNS and the "N" router's address to the XBOX as it's secondary DNS.

Other than that you will have to configure the "N" router differently.

The main problem here is that the XBOX needs to connect to the RG's (and U-verse) network to act as a STB, but it also needs to connect to the "N" router's network (and MCE PC) to be a Media Extender.

Message 6 of 6 (2,619 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.