Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Dec 7, 2008
1:53:00 PM
View profile
XBOX Live Connection Issue

I am looking for some help getting XBOX Live hooked up through my 360 and 2-Wire gateway.  I previously had XBOX Live set up through SBC/AT&T, but that was prior to the U-verse equipment.  I have contacted customer service and the first time, they were quite helpful besides them not supporting game consoles and the second time, they were fairly rude about the whole situation.  Anyway, if anyone can give me some tips with this set up, I would appreciate it.

Here's the setup:

XBOX 360 - Wireless Bridge (D-Link DGL-3420)

2-Wire AT&T Gateway (3800HGV-B)

Figuring out how to change the ip address on the bridge was a challenge, but I've got that down to a science now.  I can adjust that ip address and the one for the XBOX or put them on DHCP, but to no avail.  On the XBOX Live check, the XBOX recognizes the wireless bridge, but then says that the wireless network is "Not Connected".  When I select my wireless network from those the bridge identifies, it shows it and after putting in my WPA key states is "Connected."  I'm a bit confused about what to do next here.  I don't see how to tell the 2-Wire gateway to expect an ip address and allow it or anything.  I'm guessing the problem is with the gateway and a security feature, but I can't figure out what.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I am looking for some help getting XBOX Live hooked up through my 360 and 2-Wire gateway.  I previously had XBOX Live set up through SBC/AT&T, but that was prior to the U-verse equipment.  I have contacted customer service and the first time, they were quite helpful besides them not supporting game consoles and the second time, they were fairly rude about the whole situation.  Anyway, if anyone can give me some tips with this set up, I would appreciate it.

Here's the setup:

Figuring out how to change the ip address on the bridge was a challenge, but I've got that down to a science now.  I can adjust that ip address and the one for the XBOX or put them on DHCP, but to no avail.  On the XBOX Live check, the XBOX recognizes the wireless bridge, but then says that the wireless network is "Not Connected".  When I select my wireless network from those the bridge identifies, it shows it and after putting in my WPA key states is "Connected."  I'm a bit confused about what to do next here.  I don't see how to tell the 2-Wire gateway to expect an ip address and allow it or anything.  I'm guessing the problem is with the gateway and a security feature, but I can't figure out what.  

XBOX Live Connection Issue

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 11:15:07 AM
(0)
Guru

2percenter wrote:

Here's the setup:

I think that's all you need to do. Once you're connected, you're good to go. You can also hardwire your xbox directly to an stb.

2percenter wrote:

Here's the setup:

I think that's all you need to do. Once you're connected, you're good to go. You can also hardwire your xbox directly to an stb.

Re: XBOX Live Connection Issue

2 of 10 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 12:51:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Maybe the order I wrote things is a bit confusing.  When I select a wireless network from what's available, I pick mine.  I put in the WPA key.  Next time I look at the available networks, it says that I am "connected." 

Then, I run the XBOX Live test.  There is a list of "tests" it runs through.  Test 1 confirms that I have a wireless bridge instead of a wired connection.  This is true.  The next test checks for network connection.  It tries and results in a "Not Connected."

I can't connect to the network!

-----

I do have a Wii connected to the network and it works fine.  No wireless bridge involved there, though. 

Maybe the order I wrote things is a bit confusing.  When I select a wireless network from what's available, I pick mine.  I put in the WPA key.  Next time I look at the available networks, it says that I am "connected." 

Then, I run the XBOX Live test.  There is a list of "tests" it runs through.  Test 1 confirms that I have a wireless bridge instead of a wired connection.  This is true.  The next test checks for network connection.  It tries and results in a "Not Connected."

-----

I do have a Wii connected to the network and it works fine.  No wireless bridge involved there, though. 

3 of 10 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 1:08:46 PM
(0)
Guru
Why would you use a bridge btw?

4 of 10 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 1:27:04 PM
(0)
Master

FuzioN wrote:

for wireless ....

Installation and Setup

The installation of the DGL-3420 is practically nonexistence. In fact, in my case I had to simulate the installation because as soon as I connected the D-Link Wireless 108AG Gaming Adapter to the Xbox and turned on the console, the Xbox Dashboard automatically displayed the Xbox Live interface. I was like, “ok… what setup if it’s already working”

The only case in which you will have to run through the setup process is when you are using some form of wireless security, whether that is WEP encryption or WPA, within your wireless LAN. In any case, the D-Link Wireless 108AG Gaming Adapter is ridiculously easy to get up and running.

http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/hardware/dgl-3420/superg.gif

Message Edited by randyl on 12-08-2008 03:34 PM

FuzioN wrote:

for wireless ....

Installation and Setup

The installation of the DGL-3420 is practically nonexistence. In fact, in my case I had to simulate the installation because as soon as I connected the D-Link Wireless 108AG Gaming Adapter to the Xbox and turned on the console, the Xbox Dashboard automatically displayed the Xbox Live interface. I was like, “ok… what setup if it’s already working”

The only case in which you will have to run through the setup process is when you are using some form of wireless security, whether that is WEP encryption or WPA, within your wireless LAN. In any case, the D-Link Wireless 108AG Gaming Adapter is ridiculously easy to get up and running.

http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/hardware/dgl-3420/superg.gif

Message Edited by randyl on 12-08-2008 03:34 PM

5 of 10 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 1:48:37 PM
(0)
Guru
For XBOX, is it recommended to run it wep or wpa? I have nintendo wii run through wep. I have difficulty running it through wpa.
For XBOX, is it recommended to run it wep or wpa? I have nintendo wii run through wep. I have difficulty running it through wpa.

6 of 10 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 2:05:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

If you are continuing to experience problems, you may also need to open-up some ports in the RG/Gateway Firewall. 

A.)  CREATE THE OPEN PORT ENTRY
 1.) Go to Firewall > Advanced.  Select your XBox based on either the name of the adapter or the Hostname provided by the adapter or XBox.

2.) Below the box should appear a hyperlink option to "Add user defined..." entry.  Chose this.

3.) In the new dialog box presented, enter the name of the Filter (like "XBox ports" ).

4.) Enter the starting port of 3074 (skip the ending port, it will automatically fill in).

5.) Skip down to "Map to Port" and again, enter 3074.  

6.) Ensure that you have selected TCP and not UDP. Click "Add" button, but not the "Done" button.

7.) You should now see the previously created entry at the bottom, with a fresh entry page to add another entry under the same filter name.

8.) Repeat Steps 4 & 5 to add the port 88 and 3074, but these will differ in Step 6 as these are both UDP definitions, so chose UDP instead of TCP here.

9.) When done adding all three entries, click the "Done" button.

B.) SET YOUR XBOX TO USE THE NEWLY CREATED ENTRY
 1.) Now back at the main firewall page, make sure your Xbox is selected in Step 1 of the main Firewall page.

2.) Go into the list of special port entries to find the new entry you just created ("aka "XBox Ports" or whatever name you provided in step A-2 above).

3.) Highlight the entry and click on the right-facing single bracket ">" to push the entry over to this list of entries specific to your XBox device.

4.) Click "Done" in lower-right hand corner to finish the process.

C.) CONFIRM THE NEWLY CREATED ENTRY
 1.) To be sure, you can confirm it is programmed correctly by going to System > Summary.

2.) In the list of computers on your network, you should see the entry for the XBox (or the corresponding Wireless Bridge you setup).

3.) Under this entry for your XBox, you should see a bulleted item with the name of the filter you provide in step A-2 above.  If you do, you're done!

Message Edited by Elrendhel on 12-08-2008 02:19 PM

If you are continuing to experience problems, you may also need to open-up some ports in the RG/Gateway Firewall. 

A.)  CREATE THE OPEN PORT ENTRY
 1.) Go to Firewall > Advanced.  Select your XBox based on either the name of the adapter or the Hostname provided by the adapter or XBox.

2.) Below the box should appear a hyperlink option to "Add user defined..." entry.  Chose this.

3.) In the new dialog box presented, enter the name of the Filter (like "XBox ports" ).

4.) Enter the starting port of 3074 (skip the ending port, it will automatically fill in).

5.) Skip down to "Map to Port" and again, enter 3074.  

6.) Ensure that you have selected TCP and not UDP. Click "Add" button, but not the "Done" button.

7.) You should now see the previously created entry at the bottom, with a fresh entry page to add another entry under the same filter name.

8.) Repeat Steps 4 & 5 to add the port 88 and 3074, but these will differ in Step 6 as these are both UDP definitions, so chose UDP instead of TCP here.

9.) When done adding all three entries, click the "Done" button.

B.) SET YOUR XBOX TO USE THE NEWLY CREATED ENTRY
 1.) Now back at the main firewall page, make sure your Xbox is selected in Step 1 of the main Firewall page.

2.) Go into the list of special port entries to find the new entry you just created ("aka "XBox Ports" or whatever name you provided in step A-2 above).

3.) Highlight the entry and click on the right-facing single bracket ">" to push the entry over to this list of entries specific to your XBox device.

4.) Click "Done" in lower-right hand corner to finish the process.

C.) CONFIRM THE NEWLY CREATED ENTRY
 1.) To be sure, you can confirm it is programmed correctly by going to System > Summary.

2.) In the list of computers on your network, you should see the entry for the XBox (or the corresponding Wireless Bridge you setup).

3.) Under this entry for your XBox, you should see a bulleted item with the name of the filter you provide in step A-2 above.  If you do, you're done!

Message Edited by Elrendhel on 12-08-2008 02:19 PM

7 of 10 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 2:33:37 PM
(0)
Guru

2percenter wrote:

-----

You should not need to adjust the default settings of your 2-wire gateway router. If you can connect to your bridge you are halfway there. I would let DHCP assign  ip addresses by your RG.

In your xbox network settings you should set it to "automatic". Also make sure that PPoE is not set. Some former dsl users forget to change this option for U_Verse. That should be all you need. Try rebooting everything once this is setup.

Message Edited by CGI on 12-09-2008 09:35 AM

2percenter wrote:

-----

You should not need to adjust the default settings of your 2-wire gateway router. If you can connect to your bridge you are halfway there. I would let DHCP assign  ip addresses by your RG.

In your xbox network settings you should set it to "automatic". Also make sure that PPoE is not set. Some former dsl users forget to change this option for U_Verse. That should be all you need. Try rebooting everything once this is setup.

Message Edited by CGI on 12-09-2008 09:35 AM

8 of 10 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 6:19:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

Well, I sat down to try out some of these suggestions.  Then it occurred to me to check the back of the U-Verse box for a network plug.  Now I feel like a rube.  There it was the whole time. 

I still don't know why the wireless didn't work as is.  I am still going to try some of your suggestions and hope to report back with success if that might be of help to anyone else in my situation.  Why I didn't think of this earilier is beyond me.  It's also a bummer that customer service never thought to suggest it!  I'm sure there are situations where the game console is on a TV without a U-Verse box, but I bet not too many.  

Thanks for the help.  If I get it to work, I'll post back with how... if it doesn't, I won't.  

Well, I sat down to try out some of these suggestions.  Then it occurred to me to check the back of the U-Verse box for a network plug.  Now I feel like a rube.  There it was the whole time. 

I still don't know why the wireless didn't work as is.  I am still going to try some of your suggestions and hope to report back with success if that might be of help to anyone else in my situation.  Why I didn't think of this earilier is beyond me.  It's also a bummer that customer service never thought to suggest it!  I'm sure there are situations where the game console is on a TV without a U-Verse box, but I bet not too many.  

Thanks for the help.  If I get it to work, I'll post back with how... if it doesn't, I won't.  

9 of 10 (2,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2008 11:46:35 AM
(0)
Master
try this link for instructions (http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=29)

try this link for instructions (http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=29)

neon_sign.jpg

10 of 10 (2,642 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments