Wirless Connection Problems...

Contributor

Wirless Connection Problems...

I have uverse and have been using it for a couple months now with no problems.  Currently I have my computer connected through the wireless connection using the 2 wire adapter, another comptuer using an ethernet cable, an xbox, and my lap top thru the wireless connection.

All the computers in the house are working fine (thus allowing me to pos this) except for my computer connected through the 2 wire.  I initially thought it was due to a malfunction in the adapter, but i pulled out another wireless adapter i have and tried it and was not able to pick anything up.

I am not able to get any connection at all.  It searches and does not pull anything up.  I am not sure what would be causing this problem.  It worked for months, and then the other night I went to bed, woke up the next morning and nothing.  I figure the hardware is fine or I wouldn't have an internet connection anywhere else in the house or able to get a wireless connection on my iphone or laptop.

I am a bit if of a "noob" when it comes to computers, so any help in layman terms and step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.  

Message 1 of 11 (799 Views)

Re: Wirless Connection Problems...

So, you're saying you CAN get to the Internet wirelessly from your iPhone and from a laptop, but NOT from another computer? 

That means there's a problem with that particular computer (obviously).

What do you think changed with that computer at the same time you lost the ability to connect? 

One thing to try would be moving the computer so it can make a wired connection, and make sure that that works. 

Message 2 of 11 (799 Views)
Contributor

yeah the wireless connection still works on the other pc and my iphone, so i figured it has to be a pc problem... i just dont know what would have chanaged

i literally went to sleep on Friday night and woke up saturday morning to check something and there was no connection

i guess the next step is to plug into a wired connection, i was just hoping there was something else i may have been missing, but i'll try that and report back 

Message 3 of 11 (799 Views)
Contributor

ok so i moved my PC and plugged it in and I have a full fucntioning internet connection and am posting this from that PC right now

so the PC is fine, but why can I not get a wireless connection?  I've tried 2 different usb adapters, so what else could it be?

Message 4 of 11 (799 Views)

the best thing is , try another adapter, if it will have the same issue, then go ahead and  let ur PC do hardwired connection :smileywink:
Message 5 of 11 (799 Views)

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless adapter in the control panel hardware install.  Maybe the software for the adapter had become corrupted.  You could also see if you can log onto a neighbors or some other non-secure wireless network.
Message 6 of 11 (799 Views)
Tutor

you mentioned earlier that you are using a 2wire USB Wireless Adapter?

If yes, kindly try to uninstall the 2wire Wireless Client Manager from the Add/Remove Programs. after that make sure your Wireless Zero Configuration is activated.

Windows Vista To start Wireless Zero Configuration in Windows Vista you need to log in as an Administrator.
  • Click on Start and Control Panel
  • Select Administrative Tools and then Services
  • In the Services box scroll down the list of Services (Local) until you find the one labelled Wired AutoConfig and double click it.
  • In the Wired AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
  • Click on Start and once the service has started click on OK
  • Now find the service labelled WLAN AutoConfig and double click it.
  • In the WLAN AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
  • Go to File and Exit to close the Services window

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows XP Windows XP users must have Service Pack 2 installed to activate the Wireless Zero Configuration. 
  • Go to Start and Control Panel
  • Click on Administrative Tools and Services
  • In the Services box scroll down the list of Services (Local) until you find the one labelled Wireless Zero Configuration and double click it.
  • In the Wireless Zero Configuration Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
  • Now find the service labelled WLAN AutoConfig and double click on it
  • In the WLAN AutoConfig Properties (Local Computer) box change the Startup type to Automatic
  • Go to File and Exit to close the Services window
   -------------------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by stryker on 11-26-2008 10:35 PM
Message 7 of 11 (799 Views)

Re: Wireless Connection Problems...

if u have  still problem  based on the suggestions, try wireless zero configuration (RUN>services.msc>WZC>start automatically) ...it might help .....:smileywink:
Message 8 of 11 (799 Views)

Re: Wireless Connection Problems...

sori hvnt seen stryker's msg .........:smileysurprised: is that wud not resolve the probelm , there could also be problem with the authentication , it is not compatible  with ur  PC , try changing ur RGs authentication (WPA or WEP) ...that might help buddy !:smileywink:
Message 9 of 11 (799 Views)
Contributor

thanks for this response. it worked!!!! we have five laptops and three worked with no problems, but two wouldn't connect to internet. following your steps fixed the problem. cheers
Message 10 of 11 (799 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Alright, so we can assume there's no problem with the adapter, not with the gateway(moddem), not even with the computer? not entirely true. the problem is with the settings on your computer. and they're right, the adapter could also be the issue. there are a few things we need to check. have you tried calling tech support? calling tech support could be frustrating at times but these people are actually more than willing to solve your issue more than you are.:smileyvery-happy: we usually shout at them but these people got the brains and heart to help you with your issue. called them before, just tried to be patient. took some steps but we then found out that there is a problem with the driver which caused it not to display the list of available networks. did uninstall/reinstall, issue was resolved. agent even adviced me to call them back if issue still re-occurs so that they could send us a different adapter instead.

:smileyvery-happy: Hopefully nobody got offended with my posts

Message 11 of 11 (295 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.