Wirelss Problem

Expert

Wirelss Problem

This may have already been posted about.  As of Friday my wife's laptop loses it's ability to connect to the internet.  The message says "Wireless detecion excellent with limited connectivity".  If I soft boot the laptop it is able to connect again.  Nothing was changed on the laptop.  I have run scans for viruses and spyware.  Any help is appreciated.
Message 1 of 26
Master

Re: Wirelss Problem

Does the problem only happen with wireless will it connect and run ok with ethernet cable with wireless disabled.
Message 16 of 26
Expert

I haven't tried that yet.  I will try it tomorrow.  So far it only happens when I am connected wirelessly.
Message Edited by RCSMG on 07-26-2009 08:21 PM
Message 17 of 26
Master

Did you happen to run Adaware or a program that is similar sometimes they target the good besides the bad.
Message 18 of 26
Expert

I recently added software from Verizon that would enable me to connect to the internet using my mobile phone.  The problem occurred after that.  I uninstalled the software, so I will see if the problem goes away.
Message 19 of 26
Master

RCSMG wrote:
I recently added software from Verizon that would enable me to connect to the internet using my mobile phone.  The problem occurred after that.  I uninstalled the software, so I will see if the problem goes away.

Thats interesting I wonder if it tries to connect by default to your phone instead of your home wireless and if so when you have connection issues would temporarily turning your mobile phone off bring the home connection back. 

Message 20 of 26
Tutor

I've had the same problem for months.  I can confirm that every wireless computer in my house has had this problem EXCEPT the one I have running Win7.

I've had multiple calls into tech support.  Tried everything, including changing channels.  The system detect the wireless signal, but doesn't get a DHCP address from the gateway. You should be able to fix this by using static IP's on your computers instead of getting DHCP addresses from the gateway.

I eventually turned off the wireless on my gateway and started using a separate wireless access point with static IP's.

Message 21 of 26
Expert

Thats what I was wondering also.  I didn't know this when I decided to try the service, but when I looked at available networks on the laptop computer.  It had the VZN listed as dial up.  I've used sky cards from Sprint and they were considered high speed.
Message 22 of 26
Expert

I uninstalled the vzn software that would enable me to connect to the internet using my cell phone.  Since then I have not had any connection losses on my laptop.
Message 23 of 26
Contributor

I've just recently encountered the problem with wireless limited/no connectivity on some of our computers. Vista computer seems to have continued working. Win 7 computer not working tonight, same symptom.

Problem is as described, wireless does not setup the DNS serve properly, seems to be using external IP adddress rather than the router IP as when things are working. Wireless on computer doesn't negotiate its IP address.

Using one static IP address for network printer connection.

I've found that by connecting to the router by hard wire (ethernet) running repair connection will restore the wireless connection; also by telling the wireless to rescan channels.

Have observed wireless status going to 'Error' about the time of the connection problem. Also observed various responses to malicious contact from external IP's, seems not to be related however.

Haven't made any recent changes except had WinXP updates recently (automatic).

Will try disabling IPv6 and advise if there is a difference.

Message 24 of 26
Mentor

Same problems with iphone, ipad, hp laptop after this latest firmware upgrade. Support has set the channel to 9 turned off wireless protected setup yet problems continue.  Just going to go get a wireless N router soon and use it in dmz mode. The 2wire has too many issues.

Message 25 of 26
Highlighted
Contributor

signing in to the gateway/router and keeping the window open did not prevent eventually losing the internet connection.

Did a power cycle reset on the gateway and haven't had a problem since. Nothing else changed.

My son's theory is that with multiple computers connecting/going on standby sort of uses up IP addresses as they renegotiate and eventually enough reassignments are made that the only way to clear the cycle is to do a clean reboot. It has been a couple of months since I cycled power because nothing seemed to connect so I'm optimistic that we'll be ok for a while. 

I might try resetting via the hardwire ethernet connection to the gateway next time but it's only marginally more convenient than killing the power.

Will advise if I get any better or more sophisticated insights.

Message 26 of 26
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support