Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 29, 2009
5:05:11 PM
View profile
Wirelss Problem
This may have already been posted about.  As of Friday my wife's laptop loses it's ability to connect to the internet.  The message says "Wireless detecion excellent with limited connectivity".  If I soft boot the laptop it is able to connect again.  Nothing was changed on the laptop.  I have run scans for viruses and spyware.  Any help is appreciated.
This may have already been posted about.  As of Friday my wife's laptop loses it's ability to connect to the internet.  The message says "Wireless detecion excellent with limited connectivity".  If I soft boot the laptop it is able to connect again.  Nothing was changed on the laptop.  I have run scans for viruses and spyware.  Any help is appreciated.

Wirelss Problem

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 6:10:43 PM
(0)
Master
If this is on Vista try disabling IPv6.

Re: Wirelss Problem

2 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 8:01:13 PM
(0)
Expert
I know this will sound dumb, but see if the Wireless Channel changed itself (or ATT did a little remote change).  I had it happen twice and know I didn't do it.
I know this will sound dumb, but see if the Wireless Channel changed itself (or ATT did a little remote change).  I had it happen twice and know I didn't do it.

3 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 10:47:56 AM
(0)
Expert

oz wrote:

What is that and where would I locate it?

oz wrote:

What is that and where would I locate it?

4 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 10:50:24 AM
(0)
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

Right now the wireless channel is 6 (2437Mhz).  I tried locating the channel on the laptop.  I haven't found it yet. When I reboot the computer it is able to connect to the internet again.  ATT changed the channel rebooting the computer wouldn't automatically change the wireless number.  Or am I wrong?

spd2demun wrote:

Right now the wireless channel is 6 (2437Mhz).  I tried locating the channel on the laptop.  I haven't found it yet. When I reboot the computer it is able to connect to the internet again.  ATT changed the channel rebooting the computer wouldn't automatically change the wireless number.  Or am I wrong?

5 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 11:30:47 AM
(0)
Master

Hit the start menu click control panel now under network connections click on properties in network connection folder chose the networking tab then

you will see an option for internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) un check the box next to it and your done close out and try again. 

Hit the start menu click control panel now under network connections click on properties in network connection folder chose the networking tab then

you will see an option for internet protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) un check the box next to it and your done close out and try again. 

6 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 11:32:30 AM
(0)
Master
The problem is supposedly fixed in Windows 7 maybe someone can verify later.
The problem is supposedly fixed in Windows 7 maybe someone can verify later.

7 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 1:39:20 PM
(0)
Expert
I don't think the problem is a windows issue.  The computer has worked fine over the past year up until last week.  Thanks for the suggestions.
I don't think the problem is a windows issue.  The computer has worked fine over the past year up until last week.  Thanks for the suggestions.

8 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 2:06:14 PM
(0)
Master

It has worked on a few clients so your luck may vary but there are wireless problems affecting a lot of people this year knock on wood I escaped

it so far on my personal laptop. 

It has worked on a few clients so your luck may vary but there are wireless problems affecting a lot of people this year knock on wood I escaped

it so far on my personal laptop. 

9 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2009 1:17:22 AM
(0)
Expert
For the computer, it's under the Wireless Network Connection to Configure (the card)...don't know where it is for Vista.  It's the Advanced tab, but that's AdHoc, so here it makes no difference.  Scratch that idea.
See in your settings if your encryption settings have changed.  Your Wireless Network, Properties, Association tab.  
I am set for TKIP, but it has (and is now as a matter of fact!) changed to AES.
WHY, no clue, but have had that be a reason why I can't connect.
Settings change automatically in Win sometimes, I know it's not supposed to happen, but it does, I've seen it (not just Wireless); of course, I'm the poster child for computer problems. :smileysad:

RCSMG wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

For the computer, it's under the Wireless Network Connection to Configure (the card)...don't know where it is for Vista.  It's the Advanced tab, but that's AdHoc, so here it makes no difference.  Scratch that idea.
See in your settings if your encryption settings have changed.  Your Wireless Network, Properties, Association tab.  
I am set for TKIP, but it has (and is now as a matter of fact!) changed to AES.
WHY, no clue, but have had that be a reason why I can't connect.
Settings change automatically in Win sometimes, I know it's not supposed to happen, but it does, I've seen it (not just Wireless); of course, I'm the poster child for computer problems. :smileysad:

RCSMG wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

10 of 26 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2009 5:12:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

The best solution when encountering this problems is through changing the wireless channel on the Residential Gateway to a channel other than what is currently selected. Channels 5 and 6 are recommended; however, you will have different circumstances and another channel may work better. 

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&thread.id=4118

Another thing is physical barrier may caused this sudden change in connectivity. The environment that a Residential Gateway is in can greatly affect the range and strength of the signal it produces. A physical barrier is an object or material that is too dense for radio waves to pass through. If such an object is directly between the Residential Gateway and the wireless computer, signal degradation can occur. Some examples include the following:

• Basements
  • Concrete or metal walls (normally only found in industrial areas)
  • Steel or aluminum framing
  • Breaker boxes
  • Stucco (plaster on chicken wire)
  • Wall aquariums
  • Large or medium appliances:
    • Refrigerators
    • Washing machines
    • Dryers
    • Microwave ovens

For optimal performance, the Residential Gateway should be placed in an open environment at a moderate elevation (shoulder height) and away from other electronic devices.

I'm not sure if that make sense to you but I'm just trying to help. :smileyhappy:

RCSMG wrote:

The best solution when encountering this problems is through changing the wireless channel on the Residential Gateway to a channel other than what is currently selected. Channels 5 and 6 are recommended; however, you will have different circumstances and another channel may work better. 

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&thread.id=4118

Another thing is physical barrier may caused this sudden change in connectivity. The environment that a Residential Gateway is in can greatly affect the range and strength of the signal it produces. A physical barrier is an object or material that is too dense for radio waves to pass through. If such an object is directly between the Residential Gateway and the wireless computer, signal degradation can occur. Some examples include the following:

• Basements
  • Concrete or metal walls (normally only found in industrial areas)
  • Steel or aluminum framing
  • Breaker boxes
  • Stucco (plaster on chicken wire)
  • Wall aquariums
  • Large or medium appliances:
    • Refrigerators
    • Washing machines
    • Dryers
    • Microwave ovens

For optimal performance, the Residential Gateway should be placed in an open environment at a moderate elevation (shoulder height) and away from other electronic devices.

I'm not sure if that make sense to you but I'm just trying to help. :smileyhappy:

RCSMG wrote:

11 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2009 11:02:25 PM
(0)
Expert

Trees and shrubs have also been known to suck up wireless signals, as well as UFO's. :smileywink:

RC, did you ever get it fixed/connected?

Trees and shrubs have also been known to suck up wireless signals, as well as UFO's. :smileywink:

12 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2009 10:45:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

You may actually try and change the wireless channel to channel 11. And make sure that your Wireless Encryption Key is correct. Avoid using your telephone number as the WEP key such that it is so prone to anonymous usage of you wireless network. Moreover, you may try and check if the IP address starts with 192.168.___.___. If not, you may try to reset the gateway to acquire a new IP address.

You may actually try and change the wireless channel to channel 11. And make sure that your Wireless Encryption Key is correct. Avoid using your telephone number as the WEP key such that it is so prone to anonymous usage of you wireless network. Moreover, you may try and check if the IP address starts with 192.168.___.___. If not, you may try to reset the gateway to acquire a new IP address.

13 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2009 11:36:14 AM
(0)
Expert

spd2demun wrote:

The problem went away almost as suddenly as it started.  I don't know why, I didn't do anything.  I just decided to give it a few days since I had heard phase 2 had begun rolling out.  Maybe it was maint or something.

spd2demun wrote:

The problem went away almost as suddenly as it started.  I don't know why, I didn't do anything.  I just decided to give it a few days since I had heard phase 2 had begun rolling out.  Maybe it was maint or something.

14 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 6:26:40 PM
(0)
Expert
My wireless connection problem has returned.  And there are times when the internet connection fails very quickly.  I check and it says my wireless connection is excellent with limited or no connectivity.  HELP.
My wireless connection problem has returned.  And there are times when the internet connection fails very quickly.  I check and it says my wireless connection is excellent with limited or no connectivity.  HELP.

15 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 7:04:28 PM
(0)
Master
Does the problem only happen with wireless will it connect and run ok with ethernet cable with wireless disabled.
Does the problem only happen with wireless will it connect and run ok with ethernet cable with wireless disabled.

16 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 8:20:29 PM
(0)
Expert
I haven't tried that yet.  I will try it tomorrow.  So far it only happens when I am connected wirelessly.
Message Edited by RCSMG on 07-26-2009 08:21 PM
I haven't tried that yet.  I will try it tomorrow.  So far it only happens when I am connected wirelessly.
Message Edited by RCSMG on 07-26-2009 08:21 PM

17 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 8:32:17 PM
(0)
Master
Did you happen to run Adaware or a program that is similar sometimes they target the good besides the bad.
Did you happen to run Adaware or a program that is similar sometimes they target the good besides the bad.

18 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 9:50:46 AM
(0)
Expert
I recently added software from Verizon that would enable me to connect to the internet using my mobile phone.  The problem occurred after that.  I uninstalled the software, so I will see if the problem goes away.
I recently added software from Verizon that would enable me to connect to the internet using my mobile phone.  The problem occurred after that.  I uninstalled the software, so I will see if the problem goes away.

19 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 12:11:53 PM
(0)
Master

RCSMG wrote:

Thats interesting I wonder if it tries to connect by default to your phone instead of your home wireless and if so when you have connection issues would temporarily turning your mobile phone off bring the home connection back. 

RCSMG wrote:

Thats interesting I wonder if it tries to connect by default to your phone instead of your home wireless and if so when you have connection issues would temporarily turning your mobile phone off bring the home connection back. 

20 of 26 (481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 12:43:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've had the same problem for months.  I can confirm that every wireless computer in my house has had this problem EXCEPT the one I have running Win7.

I've had multiple calls into tech support.  Tried everything, including changing channels.  The system detect the wireless signal, but doesn't get a DHCP address from the gateway. You should be able to fix this by using static IP's on your computers instead of getting DHCP addresses from the gateway.

I eventually turned off the wireless on my gateway and started using a separate wireless access point with static IP's.

I've had the same problem for months.  I can confirm that every wireless computer in my house has had this problem EXCEPT the one I have running Win7.

I've had multiple calls into tech support.  Tried everything, including changing channels.  The system detect the wireless signal, but doesn't get a DHCP address from the gateway. You should be able to fix this by using static IP's on your computers instead of getting DHCP addresses from the gateway.

I eventually turned off the wireless on my gateway and started using a separate wireless access point with static IP's.

21 of 26 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 12:43:57 PM
(0)
Expert
Thats what I was wondering also.  I didn't know this when I decided to try the service, but when I looked at available networks on the laptop computer.  It had the VZN listed as dial up.  I've used sky cards from Sprint and they were considered high speed.
Thats what I was wondering also.  I didn't know this when I decided to try the service, but when I looked at available networks on the laptop computer.  It had the VZN listed as dial up.  I've used sky cards from Sprint and they were considered high speed.

22 of 26 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2009 8:04:09 PM
(0)
Expert
I uninstalled the vzn software that would enable me to connect to the internet using my cell phone.  Since then I have not had any connection losses on my laptop.
I uninstalled the vzn software that would enable me to connect to the internet using my cell phone.  Since then I have not had any connection losses on my laptop.

23 of 26 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 7:17:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've just recently encountered the problem with wireless limited/no connectivity on some of our computers. Vista computer seems to have continued working. Win 7 computer not working tonight, same symptom.

Problem is as described, wireless does not setup the DNS serve properly, seems to be using external IP adddress rather than the router IP as when things are working. Wireless on computer doesn't negotiate its IP address.

Using one static IP address for network printer connection.

I've found that by connecting to the router by hard wire (ethernet) running repair connection will restore the wireless connection; also by telling the wireless to rescan channels.

Have observed wireless status going to 'Error' about the time of the connection problem. Also observed various responses to malicious contact from external IP's, seems not to be related however.

Haven't made any recent changes except had WinXP updates recently (automatic).

Will try disabling IPv6 and advise if there is a difference.

I've just recently encountered the problem with wireless limited/no connectivity on some of our computers. Vista computer seems to have continued working. Win 7 computer not working tonight, same symptom.

Problem is as described, wireless does not setup the DNS serve properly, seems to be using external IP adddress rather than the router IP as when things are working. Wireless on computer doesn't negotiate its IP address.

Using one static IP address for network printer connection.

I've found that by connecting to the router by hard wire (ethernet) running repair connection will restore the wireless connection; also by telling the wireless to rescan channels.

Have observed wireless status going to 'Error' about the time of the connection problem. Also observed various responses to malicious contact from external IP's, seems not to be related however.

Haven't made any recent changes except had WinXP updates recently (automatic).

Will try disabling IPv6 and advise if there is a difference.

24 of 26 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 6:41:24 PM
(0)
Teacher

Same problems with iphone, ipad, hp laptop after this latest firmware upgrade. Support has set the channel to 9 turned off wireless protected setup yet problems continue.  Just going to go get a wireless N router soon and use it in dmz mode. The 2wire has too many issues.

Same problems with iphone, ipad, hp laptop after this latest firmware upgrade. Support has set the channel to 9 turned off wireless protected setup yet problems continue.  Just going to go get a wireless N router soon and use it in dmz mode. The 2wire has too many issues.

25 of 26 (855 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 6:13:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

signing in to the gateway/router and keeping the window open did not prevent eventually losing the internet connection.

Did a power cycle reset on the gateway and haven't had a problem since. Nothing else changed.

My son's theory is that with multiple computers connecting/going on standby sort of uses up IP addresses as they renegotiate and eventually enough reassignments are made that the only way to clear the cycle is to do a clean reboot. It has been a couple of months since I cycled power because nothing seemed to connect so I'm optimistic that we'll be ok for a while. 

I might try resetting via the hardwire ethernet connection to the gateway next time but it's only marginally more convenient than killing the power.

Will advise if I get any better or more sophisticated insights.

signing in to the gateway/router and keeping the window open did not prevent eventually losing the internet connection.

Did a power cycle reset on the gateway and haven't had a problem since. Nothing else changed.

My son's theory is that with multiple computers connecting/going on standby sort of uses up IP addresses as they renegotiate and eventually enough reassignments are made that the only way to clear the cycle is to do a clean reboot. It has been a couple of months since I cycled power because nothing seemed to connect so I'm optimistic that we'll be ok for a while. 

I might try resetting via the hardwire ethernet connection to the gateway next time but it's only marginally more convenient than killing the power.

Will advise if I get any better or more sophisticated insights.

26 of 26 (855 Views)