Helpful Links

Wireless and XP User Switching

Tutor

Wireless and XP User Switching

I am using XP and have a wired desktop, wireless laptop, wii, and blu-ray player on my RG network.  Before u-verse, I had no network problems with my Netgear router/cable modem.  Since getting u-verse, I cannot switch users on the laptop and keep the wireless connection for the second user.  The signal is detected with Excellent strength, but it searches endlessly for an IP and can never find it.  If the first user is logged off and the second user logs on, it works fine, so it is not a network key problem.

I have scoured the net for a solution and found nothing of use.  I can only imagine that the problem resides somewhere in a RG setting, but can't find anything in the RG settings that would solve the problem (to my knowledge).  

If anyone has a clue, or has experienced this, please respond.  Thanks.

David

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 7
Tutor

Re: Wireless and XP User Switching

Do both accounts have only one wireless network?

What happens if, under the broken user account, you run ipconfig /renew? 

Are you using XP's built-in wireless manager or a third party manager (such as Intel)?  If you're using a third party manager, you may want to try disabling it (services, too) and making Windows' built in manager the default.  Might not have as much control, but I doubt many third party managers are designed to work with Windows' fast user switching service.

Message 2 of 7
Tutor

Yes, both accounts are on the same wireless network.  I am using the Intel ProSet manager that came with the laptop and has been working for the last 3 years with my old router/cable modem.  The only change has been changing to the RG and u-verse.  I have not tried the ipconfig/renew, but I never needed to do that before, so I shouldn't need to now.  I will try it just to see if it works though.

David

Message 3 of 7
Tutor

Are you using the same security settings as before (did you go from WEP to WPA2, for example)?

Not sure if you're interested in using your old device, but you could always attach your old router to the U-verse device and set up DMZplus...that'd let you use your old device as it's always been.  Something about my devices sitting directly on AT&T's hardware without my own NAT makes me nervous.  :smileyhappy:

Message 4 of 7
Expert

Put your router back in the mix and use this Compute Joe post to set it up correctly:

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&message.id=8149#M8149

His setup has worked for many users and you will have the performance you had w/your router

before Uverse.  Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 08-20-2009 11:54 AM
Message 5 of 7
Tutor

That sounds like I good idea, except my "old" router is b and I wanted to take advantage of the g speed from the RG.  Does anyone know why the RG causes this problem in the first place?
Message 6 of 7
Expert

We users don't know why, sometime the RG works w/a network and then sometimes it doesn't, no

rhyme or reason.  Maybe there's a reason 2wire's are not on the consumer market?   You could get

a new n router for the future, linksys WRT-120N $59.99, free shipping Amazon and NewEgg. :smileywink:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/wheretobuy?sku=WRT120N

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 08-21-2009 12:19 AM
Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support