Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 12, 2010
7:42:54 PM
View profile
Wireless Shuts down on U-Verse when certain PC is on.

I just had U-Verse installed in my home 2 days ago. I have 4 PC's in my home, I had no problem connecting 2 laptops, 1 desktop, IPOD and other wireless devices to the U-Verse router, but when I boot up my son's desktop (Windows 7) the wireless light shuts off on the U-Verse Router and every device in the house disconnects. When I turn off or even disable the wireless network adapter on that PC the wireless light comes back on on the U-Verse and all devices re-connect. Before I had Comcast and a Linksys router with the same computers, etc. and had no such problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I just had U-Verse installed in my home 2 days ago. I have 4 PC's in my home, I had no problem connecting 2 laptops, 1 desktop, IPOD and other wireless devices to the U-Verse router, but when I boot up my son's desktop (Windows 7) the wireless light shuts off on the U-Verse Router and every device in the house disconnects. When I turn off or even disable the wireless network adapter on that PC the wireless light comes back on on the U-Verse and all devices re-connect. Before I had Comcast and a Linksys router with the same computers, etc. and had no such problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wireless Shuts down on U-Verse when certain PC is on.

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 11:52:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the problem as well.  My Windows laptops log in just fine and then every 8 or 9 minutes, the wireless would go down.  I called technical support.  I am sure they hate it when a tech person calls, but I told him I had already troubleshooted the usual things (reboot, unplug from power, etc.).  He connected remotely and changed the channel of my router.  This did not work.   After about 1 hour, we gave up and scheduled a tech.  AT&T came out and replaced my router.  I connected my laptop with my new key just fine.  He started to pack up and I was setting up my iPhone.  The wireless light went out and the connection dropped.  He ran some test, changed the channel and it connected again.  He left.  About 3 minutes after he drove off, I lost the connection to my laptop and the light went out.  I had asked that they call before they arrived for the service call and I had his cell phone number on my caller id...  I called him right away and told him that I thought it was my iPhone connection.  I tested my theory a few times and every time I disconnected my iPhone from the wireless, my laptop would reconnect.  He said he would check into it.  I sent him some preint screens from my iPhone to his wireless and have never heard from them again.  Still doesn't work.

I have the problem as well.  My Windows laptops log in just fine and then every 8 or 9 minutes, the wireless would go down.  I called technical support.  I am sure they hate it when a tech person calls, but I told him I had already troubleshooted the usual things (reboot, unplug from power, etc.).  He connected remotely and changed the channel of my router.  This did not work.   After about 1 hour, we gave up and scheduled a tech.  AT&T came out and replaced my router.  I connected my laptop with my new key just fine.  He started to pack up and I was setting up my iPhone.  The wireless light went out and the connection dropped.  He ran some test, changed the channel and it connected again.  He left.  About 3 minutes after he drove off, I lost the connection to my laptop and the light went out.  I had asked that they call before they arrived for the service call and I had his cell phone number on my caller id...  I called him right away and told him that I thought it was my iPhone connection.  I tested my theory a few times and every time I disconnected my iPhone from the wireless, my laptop would reconnect.  He said he would check into it.  I sent him some preint screens from my iPhone to his wireless and have never heard from them again.  Still doesn't work.

Re: Wireless Shuts down on U-Verse when certain PC is on.

2 of 6 (2,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 8:33:20 AM
(0)
Master

Take a look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/77-63-windows-wired-computer-prevents-wireless-connections-router it seems to point to an issue with the implementation of the "Home Group"  and IPv6 in Win7 borking routers. May or may not help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Take a look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/77-63-windows-wired-computer-prevents-wireless-connections-router it seems to point to an issue with the implementation of the "Home Group"  and IPv6 in Win7 borking routers. May or may not help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

neon_sign.jpg

3 of 6 (2,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 9:16:59 AM
(0)
Expert

Very interesting!

Very interesting!

4 of 6 (2,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 11:14:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had a very similar issue with my Windows 7 computer; I spoke with tech support and they advised going into the modem and disabling the wifi protected setup in there.  Since then, no more drops or issues with connections.  They also put the modem on a dedicated channel to balance out that signal too.  They gave me 192.168.1.254/mdc to enter the modem myself whenever I wanted to so I could customize things on my own.  No more issues..very happy now  :smileyhappy: 

I hope you find a quick resolution too.

I had a very similar issue with my Windows 7 computer; I spoke with tech support and they advised going into the modem and disabling the wifi protected setup in there.  Since then, no more drops or issues with connections.  They also put the modem on a dedicated channel to balance out that signal too.  They gave me 192.168.1.254/mdc to enter the modem myself whenever I wanted to so I could customize things on my own.  No more issues..very happy now  :smileyhappy: 

I hope you find a quick resolution too.

5 of 6 (2,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 11:52:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

You know what?  I was resigned to the fact that i could not connect my iPhone while at home unless I put A LOT of time into complaining to AT&T.  Well, last night I was lazy, when downloading a big app to the iPhone, you get a message that you should do it through iTunes or connect to wireless.  I connected to wireless, downloaded by app and forgot to change my setting back to not auto connect.  I JUST realized that I have been on my laptop wirelessly AND my iPhone all day.  I am not sure what fixed it.  Either they updated UVerse or when I updated to OS 4.1 on my iPhone, that I am not having a problem.  We shall see how it goes!

:smileyvery-happy:

You know what?  I was resigned to the fact that i could not connect my iPhone while at home unless I put A LOT of time into complaining to AT&T.  Well, last night I was lazy, when downloading a big app to the iPhone, you get a message that you should do it through iTunes or connect to wireless.  I connected to wireless, downloaded by app and forgot to change my setting back to not auto connect.  I JUST realized that I have been on my laptop wirelessly AND my iPhone all day.  I am not sure what fixed it.  Either they updated UVerse or when I updated to OS 4.1 on my iPhone, that I am not having a problem.  We shall see how it goes!

:smileyvery-happy:

6 of 6 (2,654 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments