Ask a question

Posted Sep 28, 2009
    9:24:28 PM
    View profile
    Wireless Not Connecting

Okay so i dont know much at all about internet connection so i'm gonna need some help. I got ATT U-verse two days ago and had sbc before with a 2wire router that had perfectly working wifi. Then it was installed and there is a new 2wire router that is connected to one tv box and xbox and a Belkin battery thing (I really dont know if thats related but it was just there when i got home). So now the new 2wire router (i guess its a router again i really dont know the terminology) is nicer but its not connected to the computer (and the old router was). The computer has an ethernet cable goin straight into the wall, but the phone line jack is split into a phone line jack and an ethernet jack. The ethernet cable goes right into the jack w/o a router. The computer is in a diff room from the new router so ik theyre not (directly) connected. The internet on the desktop computer works great and so do all 3 u-verse tv boxes so idk really how they connect to it. Also, the computer says it is connectedto the local area network (LAN or High-Speed), and i have the IP address and subnet mask for the Local Area Connection. I also have the System Password, Max Address, and Wireless Network Key on the side of the router. I want to know ho to reconnect the wifi because the new router says on it that it has wireless. The wifi doesnt show up on my computer (but idk if i have installed the wireless card that came with the last router or if that even matters) and i think i can see it as "2wire243" on my iphone, which is what i really want to connect it to, but i cant connect to it, it just asks for a password. If you all could help me figure out how to either set up the wifi or just get it to connect to my iphone that would be awesome. I dont care really how it is set up as long as the wireless works. I have tried reusing my sbc router and it does not connect either. Sorry i dont know much about this topic or what info you need but i just posted everything i really know about the system. Thanks

Oh, btw, the router (which is apparently called a wireless gatewayor something) looks like this: 

http://www.lquick.com/images/Router.jpg

and the old router from sbc looked like this: http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/images/1000-401000-000-LN.jpg

Wireless Not Connecting

11 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (11)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2009 11:02:05 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

password is on the side of the router. use that.

also to make sure you are connecting to the right one the las 3 numbers of the serial number is the last 3 of the 2wire number 

ie this #  2wire243"

should match the last 3 of the serial number.

Re: Wireless Not Connecting

2 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 28, 2009 11:05:01 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

Are you sure the wireless is enabled in the RG on the iPhone if it can see the network and you tap it then it should prompt you for a password which is the 10 digit number on the side of the RG on a sticker. Not being snobby but make sure 2wire243 is in fact yours and not your neighbors

these things cranked up have a wide area coverage. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 29, 2009 6:49:27 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    we need to know whats your network name first.. you can find it out by looking at the serial number on the new 2wire router, there's  a sticker in there.. then also look for the wireless network key... u have to take note the last 3 digit of the serial number (SN) for example - 100811007004 then the last 3 digit would be 004 .. through that we would know that your network name (SSID) is 2wire004..then connect to 2wire004 (again that's just an example) and use the wireless network key as your password.... just in case...... please reply if you'll recieve any error message thanks!   :smileyhappy:

4 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2009 1:14:35 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Having a problem just like this in the past few days, my iphone, desk top and laptop can't connect to my RG on the WI-FI connection. Seems like it connects then kicks me off then connects. All my machines see the newtork but can't connect to the internet.

Being pretty tech savy I had to break down and call the techs to comeout to check it out. They will be here tomorrow I'll tell you what they say. I can still connect via hardwire to the web, but the w-fi on the RG doesn't like me for some reason the past few days. My guess new RG will be installed!

5 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2009 2:00:40 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

wxbrad wrote:

Having a problem just like this in the past few days, my iphone, desk top and laptop can't connect to my RG on the WI-FI connection. Seems like it connects then kicks me off then connects. All my machines see the newtork but can't connect to the internet.

Being pretty tech savy I had to break down and call the techs to comeout to check it out. They will be here tomorrow I'll tell you what they say. I can still connect via hardwire to the web, but the w-fi on the RG doesn't like me for some reason the past few days. My guess new RG will be installed!

Might be a good guess my neighbor had same issue they gave him a new RG now everything works.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2009 5:53:22 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Tonight I actually figured out what happened to the WI-FI from the RG. I recently added the AT&T 3G Micro-cell( http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/) to my network which at first worked fine, gave me 5 bars at home! :-) During my most recent RG reboot I must haven not powered up the RG and Micro-Cell in the right order. This mistake then tried to make my Microcell a WI-FI hotspot, which it is not. Long story short went back into the RG settings and just defaulting everything back to square 1 and renamed my network and gave it a new password. Now my RG WI-FI is back in business.

Message Edited by wxbrad on 09-30-2009 05:54 PM

7 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2009 8:39:02 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Thanks all of you it works great now! Yeah i just had to use the Wireless Key as password for iphone

8 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 30, 2009 9:06:39 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

wxbrad wrote:

Tonight I actually figured out what happened to the WI-FI from the RG. I recently added the AT&T 3G Micro-cell( http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/) to my network which at first worked fine, gave me 5 bars at home! :-) During my most recent RG reboot I must haven not powered up the RG and Micro-Cell in the right order. This mistake then tried to make my Microcell a WI-FI hotspot, which it is not. Long story short went back into the RG settings and just defaulting everything back to square 1 and renamed my network and gave it a new password. Now my RG WI-FI is back in business.

Message Edited by wxbrad on 09-30-2009 05:54 PM

I am curious as to how big of an area around your house does the cell cover and if you have all your service with AT&T do they wave the monthly charge last I heard the cost for the unit was 150.00 with a 100.00 rebate. 

9 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2009 2:34:56 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

My microcell covers about 5000 sq feet there's not a place in my house that I don't get five bars, when I walk outside the signal slowly falls to about then 3 bars at the street then switches to the local cell. My Wi-Fi from the RG though stay connected until I drive down the street on my Iphone.

I do have everything on AT&T but no word if I get any discounts on the unlimited calling, unless I get it free I wouldn't get unlimited calling doesn't make sense. I'd just spend that 20 bucks on a bigger cell plan then I could use the minutes anywhere. I would say if you have a very weak signal or want to ditch the landline this is a good investment, otherwise save your money.

Great blog from a guy here in Charlotte who installed the very first day http://jasonnash.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/review-of-the-att-3g-microcell/

Brad

10 of 12 (3,426 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 1, 2009 9:32:29 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

wxbrad wrote:

My microcell covers about 5000 sq feet there's not a place in my house that I don't get five bars, when I walk outside the signal slowly falls to about then 3 bars at the street then switches to the local cell. My Wi-Fi from the RG though stay connected until I drive down the street on my Iphone.

I do have everything on AT&T but no word if I get any discounts on the unlimited calling, unless I get it free I wouldn't get unlimited calling doesn't make sense. I'd just spend that 20 bucks on a bigger cell plan then I could use the minutes anywhere. I would say if you have a very weak signal or want to ditch the landline this is a good investment, otherwise save your money.

Great blog from a guy here in Charlotte who installed the very first day http://jasonnash.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/review-of-the-att-3g-microcell/

Brad

thanks for the info. 

11 of 12 (2,179 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Feb 26, 2011 1:39:26 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

SIMPLE SOLUTION TO WIFI no connection issues.

1) Every time we add a new Iphone to our UVERSE network, the iPhone never seems to connect to the WIFI.  I call AT&T several times, they have no clue how to fix it, they do something, then magically, WIFI connects.  When I ask them how they did it, they have NO IDEA.  In other words, the Iphone SEES the network, it accepts the password to the network, the checkmark appears, BUT the DHCP page is blank of any IP addresses, and there is NO CONNECTION to the Internet.

2) I figured it out a solution.

3) Go to your 2WIRE router configuration page - typically something like 192.168.1.254

4) Go to the SETTINGS TAB.

5) Go to LAN Header of the Settings Tab.

6) Go to the section that says, DEVICES.

7) This secion will list all the devices on your UVERSE network, with MAC ID addresses.

8) cleck the button "CLEAR LIST".  CHOOSE "OK" when prompted.

The result will be tha the router will begin to re-populate the list of devices, and the WIFI icon will magically appear on the Iphone screen next to the AT&T logo.

12 of 12 (2,045 Views)