Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 29, 2008
6:27:05 PM
Wireless Network setup help

Hello everyone,

So we just installed U-Verse yesterday, and so far, I'm pretty happy with it.  However, I have not yet been able to set up the wireless network that is supposed to be available.  The RG is connected to the computer with an ethernet cable, so as far as i know, i dont need any additional software to "install" the gateway.  The computer is currently running Windows Xp Service pack 2.  When i try to set up the network through "Network Connections", I can't find the Wireless network option.  There is a "Wireless network setup wizard" option in the control panel.  I have tried running this, but it doesn't seem to help.  If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

~Matt

Kudos!

Hello everyone,

So we just installed U-Verse yesterday, and so far, I'm pretty happy with it.  However, I have not yet been able to set up the wireless network that is supposed to be available.  The RG is connected to the computer with an ethernet cable, so as far as i know, i dont need any additional software to "install" the gateway.  The computer is currently running Windows Xp Service pack 2.  When i try to set up the network through "Network Connections", I can't find the Wireless network option.  There is a "Wireless network setup wizard" option in the control panel.  I have tried running this, but it doesn't seem to help.  If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

~Matt

Kudos!

Wireless Network setup help

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

Re: Wireless Network setup help

2 of 7 (5,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2008 3:00:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've tried searching through the forums for other articles with the same problem. However, the other articles I found dealt usually with re-establishing a wireless network, or mentioned "wireless network settings" under network settings. The only 2 options i have available are 1394 connection, and LAN, which is the rg right now. Do I need to have a previous wireless network device installed before using the RG?
I've tried searching through the forums for other articles with the same problem. However, the other articles I found dealt usually with re-establishing a wireless network, or mentioned "wireless network settings" under network settings. The only 2 options i have available are 1394 connection, and LAN, which is the rg right now. Do I need to have a previous wireless network device installed before using the RG?

3 of 7 (5,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

4 of 7 (5,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2008 6:04:02 AM
(0)
Guru

SirJames989 wrote:

Dumb question...do you actually have a wireless network adapter in your computer?

SirJames989 wrote:

Dumb question...do you actually have a wireless network adapter in your computer?

5 of 7 (5,090 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2008 9:06:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
My apologies, that question was poorly phrased.  I do not have a wireless card in the computer.  The one computer that's connected to the internet is connected via ethernet cable to the residential gateway.  I was trying to set up a network to connect a Wii/Ds/eventual laptop.  I was under the impression that the rg could be used in such a fashion.  If not, I apologize for the waste of time. 
My apologies, that question was poorly phrased.  I do not have a wireless card in the computer.  The one computer that's connected to the internet is connected via ethernet cable to the residential gateway.  I was trying to set up a network to connect a Wii/Ds/eventual laptop.  I was under the impression that the rg could be used in such a fashion.  If not, I apologize for the waste of time. 

6 of 7 (5,090 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2008 10:57:26 AM
(0)
Master

SirJames989 wrote:

The Wireless is already there and running. You just have to set up each wireless device individually to connect to it.

You will need the password and the "Network Name" or "SSID" will be "2WIRE***" replace the asterisc with the last 3 numbers in the serial number of the gateway. The Serial number and password are located on a label affixed to the gateway.

Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 11-10-2008 01:02 PM

SirJames989 wrote:

The Wireless is already there and running. You just have to set up each wireless device individually to connect to it.

You will need the password and the "Network Name" or "SSID" will be "2WIRE***" replace the asterisc with the last 3 numbers in the serial number of the gateway. The Serial number and password are located on a label affixed to the gateway.

Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 11-10-2008 01:02 PM

neon_sign.jpg

7 of 7 (5,090 Views)