Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 2, 2010
8:13:56 PM
Wireless N on the RG

When I signed up for this Uverse deal the sales rep on the phone promised me a Wireless N RG device, that was in June we are now into August.  Is there any info when these will become available?  I would like to be able to dump my current wireless router that I have behind the RG to use just one device.

When I signed up for this Uverse deal the sales rep on the phone promised me a Wireless N RG device, that was in June we are now into August.  Is there any info when these will become available?  I would like to be able to dump my current wireless router that I have behind the RG to use just one device.

Wireless N on the RG

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2010 9:02:17 PM
(0)
Mentor

I take it that nobody but myself heard about this?

I take it that nobody but myself heard about this?

Re: Wireless N on the RG

2 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2010 9:05:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

I don't think there are any plans of a Wireless N device right now, although I have heard about some sales reps lying about it to new customers. When 2Wire makes a Wireless N capable device, I'm sure AT&T will deploy them.

I don't think there are any plans of a Wireless N device right now, although I have heard about some sales reps lying about it to new customers. When 2Wire makes a Wireless N capable device, I'm sure AT&T will deploy them.

3 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2010 9:40:08 PM
(0)
Guru

I plan to use my CradlePoint n router and existing network behind the RG.  For some reason, my Droid will only connect to n routers after a recent software update.  I also have a Verizon USB internet card that plugs into the CradlePoint router and acts as an automatic failback if my ISP goes down.

I plan to use my CradlePoint n router and existing network behind the RG.  For some reason, my Droid will only connect to n routers after a recent software update.  I also have a Verizon USB internet card that plugs into the CradlePoint router and acts as an automatic failback if my ISP goes down.

4 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 3:19:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

It's actually not a compatibility issue. You can use an N router on the modem but it's not supported by AT&T and it'll never get up past B/G for speed. Sorry bout that one.

It's actually not a compatibility issue. You can use an N router on the modem but it's not supported by AT&T and it'll never get up past B/G for speed. Sorry bout that one.

5 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 4:51:58 PM
(0)
Mentor

How so?  I use my WRT610 behind the RG just fine, wireless speeds are great I was hoping to be able to just have my entire network on one router though. 

I was told by the sales rep that I would get a N RG device when I signed up.  Then the day of my install they sent out a senior tech to troubleshoot problems I was having.  I asked him about the N devices and he said they are expecting them in August.  Here we are a week from September I was hoping some people might have gotten them.

How so?  I use my WRT610 behind the RG just fine, wireless speeds are great I was hoping to be able to just have my entire network on one router though. 

I was told by the sales rep that I would get a N RG device when I signed up.  Then the day of my install they sent out a senior tech to troubleshoot problems I was having.  I asked him about the N devices and he said they are expecting them in August.  Here we are a week from September I was hoping some people might have gotten them.

6 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2010 10:08:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

I don't see the problem. The AT&T RG is a 54G wifi router in addition to its other functions. Still it has 4 x 10/100 ethernet ports for hard wired network devices. One could, in theroy, skip the 54G WLAN of the 2Wire RG by patch connecting an N router like the Cisco WRT610N, WRT300N and setting up that WLAN. The second router will pull the Internet WAN over the 10/100 ethernet cable then broadcast in N speeds from itself. The choke point is the speed of Uverse dsl to the RG.

My PC has gigabit ports (or 100/1000 ethernet) which is not available on the AT&T 2Wire RG. My home router is also capable of gigabit and I pulled cat 6e to accomodate. Too bad AT&T is so far behind on data communication equipment and they install the RG with cat 5e only.

I don't see the problem. The AT&T RG is a 54G wifi router in addition to its other functions. Still it has 4 x 10/100 ethernet ports for hard wired network devices. One could, in theroy, skip the 54G WLAN of the 2Wire RG by patch connecting an N router like the Cisco WRT610N, WRT300N and setting up that WLAN. The second router will pull the Internet WAN over the 10/100 ethernet cable then broadcast in N speeds from itself. The choke point is the speed of Uverse dsl to the RG.

My PC has gigabit ports (or 100/1000 ethernet) which is not available on the AT&T 2Wire RG. My home router is also capable of gigabit and I pulled cat 6e to accomodate. Too bad AT&T is so far behind on data communication equipment and they install the RG with cat 5e only.

7 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2010 10:13:59 AM
(0)
Guru

Silgon25 wrote:

Sorry, but you're wrong.  If you put an N router behind the RG and use it for wireless, you absolutely will get N speeds.

Silgon25 wrote:

Sorry, but you're wrong.  If you put an N router behind the RG and use it for wireless, you absolutely will get N speeds.

8 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2010 3:45:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

cheer wrote:

Silgon25 wrote:

Pretty much. Ethernet cable from a 100/1000Mbps source to the Wireless N router = no bottleneck. Now getting the 54Mbps Wireless G from the RG and re-broadcasting it as 108Mbps, I would see a problem, but who would do that?

cheer wrote:

Silgon25 wrote:

Pretty much. Ethernet cable from a 100/1000Mbps source to the Wireless N router = no bottleneck. Now getting the 54Mbps Wireless G from the RG and re-broadcasting it as 108Mbps, I would see a problem, but who would do that?

9 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2010 1:56:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

Bump....

My whole reason for making this post was to see if anyone has heard or seen the new N RG's hit the streets yet.  Because I want to take my WRT610N out of the loop.  In all honesty it was quite a pain to setup behind the RG, and even after a few weeks I am still tweaking, opening ports etc...  It totally FUBARed my router settings and I had to start a fresh.  With 8 clients and 4 cellular devices running behind a router that runs behind a RG I would just like what I was promised and do away with my router.

Know what I mean?

Bump....

My whole reason for making this post was to see if anyone has heard or seen the new N RG's hit the streets yet.  Because I want to take my WRT610N out of the loop.  In all honesty it was quite a pain to setup behind the RG, and even after a few weeks I am still tweaking, opening ports etc...  It totally FUBARed my router settings and I had to start a fresh.  With 8 clients and 4 cellular devices running behind a router that runs behind a RG I would just like what I was promised and do away with my router.

Know what I mean?

10 of 12 (968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 10:50:53 AM
(0)
Expert

To my knowledge, 2Wire has not produced a VDSL router with wireless N.  Even the newest one, the 3801HGV, is still wireless G.

To my knowledge, 2Wire has not produced a VDSL router with wireless N.  Even the newest one, the 3801HGV, is still wireless G.

11 of 12 (335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 12:24:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks SomeJoe7777! Now I know I'm not crazy.

Thanks SomeJoe7777! Now I know I'm not crazy.

12 of 12 (335 Views)