Posted Jul 6, 2008
4:13:59 PM
Wireless HP printer won't communicate with Wireless U-Verse Gateway

I have an HP 2510 All-in one printer that used to be connected wireless through my Linksys router when I had Comcast.  I just got U-Verse, and I can't get my printer to communicate wireless with the new 2wire U-Verse installed.  I uninstalled the HP software and reinstalled it - but I think I'm getting hung up with the encryption.  It works fine if I wire it directly to the 2Wire.

My network is setup with WPA-Personal - encryption type TKIP.

The HP software only gives me an option of WEP - and when I put in the security key it tells me it's not long enough (it's 10 digits - all numbers)

Any ideas?

Thanks

DJ

I have an HP 2510 All-in one printer that used to be connected wireless through my Linksys router when I had Comcast.  I just got U-Verse, and I can't get my printer to communicate wireless with the new 2wire U-Verse installed.  I uninstalled the HP software and reinstalled it - but I think I'm getting hung up with the encryption.  It works fine if I wire it directly to the 2Wire.

My network is setup with WPA-Personal - encryption type TKIP.

The HP software only gives me an option of WEP - and when I put in the security key it tells me it's not long enough (it's 10 digits - all numbers)

Any ideas?

Thanks

DJ

Wireless HP printer won't communicate with Wireless U-Verse Gateway

17 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2008 4:27:23 PM
(0)
Professor

Well you could access your RG and change the settings to match what your printer is able to handle..

http://gateway.2wire.net

Click home network, then head over to the wireless settings section and click "edit settings" and make the changes you need.  If it asks for a system password then that is printed on a white sticker on the side of your RG.  If you prefer a tech to do it for you then you could call tech support at 1800att2020 but they would basically be doing the same thing.  Good luck, let us know how it goes.  =)

Well you could access your RG and change the settings to match what your printer is able to handle..

http://gateway.2wire.net

Click home network, then head over to the wireless settings section and click "edit settings" and make the changes you need.  If it asks for a system password then that is printed on a white sticker on the side of your RG.  If you prefer a tech to do it for you then you could call tech support at 1800att2020 but they would basically be doing the same thing.  Good luck, let us know how it goes.  =)

Re: Wireless HP printer won't communicate with Wireless U-Verse Gateway

2 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2008 5:26:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

If it's the HP PSC 2510, according to the HP Manual, it supports WPA, so you might want to review how to configure your printer to use WPA instead of WEP. Or if it's easier, just change the RG to use WEP as goot suggested.

Regards, Bill

If it's the HP PSC 2510, according to the HP Manual, it supports WPA, so you might want to review how to configure your printer to use WPA instead of WEP. Or if it's easier, just change the RG to use WEP as goot suggested.

Regards, Bill

3 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2008 6:37:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

:smileyvery-happy:

Got it!  Thanks.  You pointed me in the right direction. 

Apparently the WPA encryption data is 'hidden' in the Embedded Web Server under the Advanced Configuration and it's listed as EAP/PSK.  You can't set the WPA during software installation.  It can only be done from the Embedded Web Server. 

Thanks Bill for your help! 

:smileyvery-happy:

Got it!  Thanks.  You pointed me in the right direction. 

Apparently the WPA encryption data is 'hidden' in the Embedded Web Server under the Advanced Configuration and it's listed as EAP/PSK.  You can't set the WPA during software installation.  It can only be done from the Embedded Web Server. 

Thanks Bill for your help! 

4 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2008 9:25:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue, where I can't get the software to recognize my HP 2510.  Worked just fine with my netgear router. Thanks for your help (need it in non tech terms).

I am using WEP open

Message Edited by michmom on 08-09-2008 12:26 AM

Did this ever get resolved? I have the same issue, where I can't get the software to recognize my HP 2510.  Worked just fine with my netgear router. Thanks for your help (need it in non tech terms).

I am using WEP open

Message Edited by michmom on 08-09-2008 12:26 AM

5 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2008 6:52:58 AM
(0)
Master

security

As with other networks, security for WLANs focuses on access control and

privacy. Traditional WLAN security includes the use of Service Set Identifiers

(SSIDs), open or shared-key authentication, static WEP keys, and optional Media

Access Control (MAC) authentication. This combination offers a basic level of

access control and privacy.

More advanced levels of security (such as WPA, Pre-shared key, and so forth) are

available through the HP PSC’s embedded Web server (EWS). For more

information about the EWS, see use the embedded web server on page 166.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00043654.pdf

security

As with other networks, security for WLANs focuses on access control and

privacy. Traditional WLAN security includes the use of Service Set Identifiers

(SSIDs), open or shared-key authentication, static WEP keys, and optional Media

Access Control (MAC) authentication. This combination offers a basic level of

access control and privacy.

More advanced levels of security (such as WPA, Pre-shared key, and so forth) are

available through the HP PSC’s embedded Web server (EWS). For more

information about the EWS, see use the embedded web server on page 166.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00043654.pdf

6 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 14, 2008 5:34:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi - sorry.  Haven't been online in awhile. 

Did you get your problem resolved?  What version of Windows are you on!

DJ

Message Edited by tdbusiness on 08-14-2008 07:34 PM
Message Edited by tdbusiness on 08-14-2008 07:35 PM

Hi - sorry.  Haven't been online in awhile. 

Did you get your problem resolved?  What version of Windows are you on!

DJ

Message Edited by tdbusiness on 08-14-2008 07:34 PM
Message Edited by tdbusiness on 08-14-2008 07:35 PM

7 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2008 9:22:54 AM
(0)
Mentor
If you are replying to my post, yes I got the problem solved.  I wound up reinstalling as a wired printer and then changed the settings to wireless.  I am curious however about changing the security to WPA-PSK - in the EWS I think it asks for a passphrase - what would I use if I want to keep the same password I have now (the one on the side of the router)?
If you are replying to my post, yes I got the problem solved.  I wound up reinstalling as a wired printer and then changed the settings to wireless.  I am curious however about changing the security to WPA-PSK - in the EWS I think it asks for a passphrase - what would I use if I want to keep the same password I have now (the one on the side of the router)?

8 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2008 11:28:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Make the new passphrase the same as the on on the rg.  If is gives you the option to type letters then make it something like rgpassphraze or something like that.

michmom wrote:

Make the new passphrase the same as the on on the rg.  If is gives you the option to type letters then make it something like rgpassphraze or something like that.

michmom wrote:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2009 9:12:25 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am having a problem with my HP C7280.  It will not recognize the network and I followed the steps on the thread to no avail.  Please comment.
I am having a problem with my HP C7280.  It will not recognize the network and I followed the steps on the thread to no avail.  Please comment.

10 of 18 (3,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2009 2:16:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

geaux give us some more info wireless or networked Mac or PC and are you using just the RG3800 or do you us another wireless router and if so what kind and model with

this info available a solution will follow. 

geaux give us some more info wireless or networked Mac or PC and are you using just the RG3800 or do you us another wireless router and if so what kind and model with

this info available a solution will follow. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 18 (2,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2009 8:03:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just switched to Uverse and was able to re-establish all of our home networked computers without too much hassle.  My HP printer, however, just can't be found.  I've got an HP laserjet 4100 with a 10/100 network card plugged into a netgear switch.  This is connected to a leviton cat6 switch panel for the home office, fed from a line coming off the uverse router, which is a 2wire 3800HGV-B. 

I noticed the printer IP was out of range based on the data from the router's network page.  Changed the printer IP through the menu system, still no luck.  I even rolled the printer right up next to the router and connected it to the ethernet switch that feeds some of the non-office jacks.  Nothing at all.

I tried connecting to the embedded info on the printer using its new IP and i get the good old page not found error.  The IP prints from the config menu, so the change appears to have taken, but I can't get it to work.  I must be missing something obvious.

Chris

I just switched to Uverse and was able to re-establish all of our home networked computers without too much hassle.  My HP printer, however, just can't be found.  I've got an HP laserjet 4100 with a 10/100 network card plugged into a netgear switch.  This is connected to a leviton cat6 switch panel for the home office, fed from a line coming off the uverse router, which is a 2wire 3800HGV-B. 

I noticed the printer IP was out of range based on the data from the router's network page.  Changed the printer IP through the menu system, still no luck.  I even rolled the printer right up next to the router and connected it to the ethernet switch that feeds some of the non-office jacks.  Nothing at all.

I tried connecting to the embedded info on the printer using its new IP and i get the good old page not found error.  The IP prints from the config menu, so the change appears to have taken, but I can't get it to work.  I must be missing something obvious.

Chris

12 of 18 (2,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 6:00:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Have you tried hooking it directly to the RG also look to see in system summary if the RG sees the printer and gave it an address one other thing to look for is if the firewall is set for the printer to allow for

access. 

Have you tried hooking it directly to the RG also look to see in system summary if the RG sees the printer and gave it an address one other thing to look for is if the firewall is set for the printer to allow for

access. 

13 of 18 (2,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 6:45:13 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have had the same problem with my Dell Laser Printer 1700n and my Color Laserjet 2600n. You have to attach it to a separate DHCP enabled router so the printer is assigned an IP address that you can access. You then have to connect a computer to that same router (this router cannot be the gateway) and look in the router settings for the IP address of the printer. You then go into the printer settings and change it to a static IP address, but one that matches what the gateway would give out, just not conflicting with another device, such as 192.168.1.134, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.254 for the address, subnet mask, and gateway, respectively. Then connect it to the gateway, and the gateway should recognize it in the "Home Network" section in the gateway settings as the IP address you assigned it. If all goes well, you should be able to connect to it with that IP address on any computer on the network. Just make sure that all your computers are getting IP adresses assigned by the gateway, and you do not have any other routers on your network. Hope this helps :smileyhappy:
I have had the same problem with my Dell Laser Printer 1700n and my Color Laserjet 2600n. You have to attach it to a separate DHCP enabled router so the printer is assigned an IP address that you can access. You then have to connect a computer to that same router (this router cannot be the gateway) and look in the router settings for the IP address of the printer. You then go into the printer settings and change it to a static IP address, but one that matches what the gateway would give out, just not conflicting with another device, such as 192.168.1.134, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.254 for the address, subnet mask, and gateway, respectively. Then connect it to the gateway, and the gateway should recognize it in the "Home Network" section in the gateway settings as the IP address you assigned it. If all goes well, you should be able to connect to it with that IP address on any computer on the network. Just make sure that all your computers are getting IP adresses assigned by the gateway, and you do not have any other routers on your network. Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

14 of 18 (2,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 2:35:28 PM
(0)
Tutor
I did try hooking it directly to the RG and the RG did not find the printer or assign it an IP address.  I tried to manually assign one in the printer menu, one that would fit in the range specified.  No luck.  I'm not sure about the firewall...do you mean the firewall settings in the RG itself or on each computer?  (we have four on the network)  I looked for firewall settings and I only see them listed for devices found on the network and since the printer was not found...am I missing something? I'd hate to resort to the next post, but I'm willing to try anything at this point - even calling AT&T. :smileysurprised:
I did try hooking it directly to the RG and the RG did not find the printer or assign it an IP address.  I tried to manually assign one in the printer menu, one that would fit in the range specified.  No luck.  I'm not sure about the firewall...do you mean the firewall settings in the RG itself or on each computer?  (we have four on the network)  I looked for firewall settings and I only see them listed for devices found on the network and since the printer was not found...am I missing something? I'd hate to resort to the next post, but I'm willing to try anything at this point - even calling AT&T. :smileysurprised:

15 of 18 (2,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 2:38:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

@mcvbcg - interesting solution.  If the firewall issue isn't the problem, I'll give your suggestion a shot a post here with my results.  Thanks everyone for the help.

Chris

@mcvbcg - interesting solution.  If the firewall issue isn't the problem, I'll give your suggestion a shot a post here with my results.  Thanks everyone for the help.

Chris

16 of 18 (2,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 4:43:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
On mine I had to tell my Mac to always allow incoming connection from the printer in the firewall settings.
On mine I had to tell my Mac to always allow incoming connection from the printer in the firewall settings.

17 of 18 (2,884 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2009 8:00:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, it wasn't a firewall issue, router or switch issue.  When configuring the IP addys in my printer, an HP laserjet 4100, make sure that the GW address in the menu actually matches the RG address listed on the bottom of the box.  Wow.  It's been so long since I've had to set this up I just kept missing it.  Thanks for shaking out the cobwebs.

Chris

Well, it wasn't a firewall issue, router or switch issue.  When configuring the IP addys in my printer, an HP laserjet 4100, make sure that the GW address in the menu actually matches the RG address listed on the bottom of the box.  Wow.  It's been so long since I've had to set this up I just kept missing it.  Thanks for shaking out the cobwebs.

Chris

18 of 18 (2,884 Views)