Wired connection getting shut off?

Tutor

Wired connection getting shut off?

Hello all,

I've just started with U-verse in the last 2 months, switched from Comcast. Some things are great, others don't seem to be so great. The DVR and TV service is very good, but I am having issues with the Internet. I do not have the VOIP service.

Maybe the community here can give me some help or advice.  I apologize for my rambling ways, I want to try to give enough information and insight into the issues.

Info:

10 meg service, couple of PC's wired and 1 laptop that is wireless. My house is wired for many computers and I have held LAN parties and such at my place.

Issue #1  Internet connectivity issues

The internet connection seems to drop every so often while playing online games, or at least have huge lag spikes. It also happens with normal web surfing. This isn't consistent to a certain time of day, it also hasn't been because of recorded TV shows or someone watching TV in the house. Usually it happens when there is only internet traffic in the house from one or two PC's. I have seen the problem when only one PC was running. This is with the wired PC's, not the laptop. I have swapped cables, rebooted pc's, connected the pc's directly into the RG to no effect. If it is just a lag spike, it might last for 10 seconds or up to 2 minutes. Sometimes when the internet connection drops completely, it might take 3 minutes or so for the outage to correct itself.

It is most definitely the U-verse internet connection and not the PC or the sites or services I am using online. When the internet connection drops or slows down to a crawl, the TV's sometimes still work with U-verse. I checked the TV's after I saw the issue on the PC. I have Verizon aircards that work fine connecting to the same sites or services when my AT&T service drops.The internet connection will drop completely, no traffic to anything outside my network. Wait for a minute or two and do nothing else, it's back to normal.

I have unplugged the RG and rebooted it. I have had the splitters inside and box outside properly grounded by the U-verse techs. The U-verse techs have replaced the cabling in my house to the RG. The cabling all tests good. They measured the distance back to the hub, we are well within the normal range. The max bandwidth was measured around 68 meg throughput. I have connected the PC's directly to the RG or through my network switch.

All that being said, it is probably something I could live with. It happens infrequently, maybe once or twice a night or morning, maybe not at all for a few days.

Issue #2 Peer to Peer traffic

I also have noticed that when I start a p2p program that the network connection to that specific pc gets shut off. Yes, I mean shut off. The other pc's on the network can still work fine. It is only that one pc. When I first start the application, it works normally. It has good speeds, traffic is flowing in and out. Then about 30-60 minutes later, it is dead in the water.

No, there isn't any spyware or malware on the pc, I've checked. If I tried to repair the network connection, it fails getting an IP from the RG. Reboot the PC, it will work again. Reboot the RG, it will work again. This same machine configured as it is now worked fine with Comcast internet. When I switched I had to add the proper ports and such to the RG's firewall to get it working again properly, but that was normal. It makes me think that the RG is incapable of handling a lot of internet traffic, or is designed to throttle a p2p app running pc to death until it gets reset.

My next step will probably be to place my old firewall back into the network and forward all ports from the RG to it and reconfigure the pc's default gateway back to the old firewall and see if that helps.

If it remains like it is, it's probably not a problem that I can live with. If anyone has any suggestions or tips and tricks to get things working again, I'd appreciate it.

Message Edited by furpigs on 01-28-2009 03:54 PM
Message 1 of 6 (964 Views)
Expert

Re: Wired connection getting shut off?

I have had odd things happen on my PCs before, and I determined that the RG's firewall was kind of freaking out.  I ended up doing a factory reset on the RG (hold the red button for 10 seconds until the RG resets) to completely clear the RG's configuration, and set it up again.

You may want to give that a try -- write down all your firewall settings first so you can put them back in.

Message 2 of 6 (964 Views)
Tutor

Thanks, I'll try that too. But it's not just a one time issue. I can start the p2p app anytime and within an hour the connection is dead.
Message 3 of 6 (964 Views)
Master

furpigs wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that too. But it's not just a one time issue. I can start the p2p app anytime and within an hour the connection is dead.

u may be runnin out of sessions  (1024)   scale back # of sessions allowed ?   maybe

http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=J14&THISPAGE=J15&NEXTPAGE=J14

NAT Sessions
current secs since boot: 1529623
session table 1004/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

a thought

randy

Message Edited by randyl on 01-29-2009 09:23 AM
Message 4 of 6 (964 Views)
Tutor

Randyl, you are correct. Thank you for your assistance. I had previously been using Azureas for my P2P solution with Comcast. When I switched to U-verse the RG would lock up after a short period of time. I ended up testing with uTorrent and throttled the number of connections back and p2p is now stable.

But another issue has been identified. I had comcast with the ~8 meg speed and now I'm on U-Verse with 10 meg. The torrents are always much slower, and the internet performance is also much slower. When I test I will get somewhere around 8 meg most of the time, but it does drop to 5 meg at times. No other use on the lines, just one pc doing bandwidth testing.

Message 5 of 6 (964 Views)
Highlighted

randyl wrote:

furpigs wrote:

u may be runnin out of sessions  (1024)   scale back # of sessions allowed ?   maybe

http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=J14&THISPAGE=J15&NEXTPAGE=J14

NAT Sessions
current secs since boot: 1529623
session table 1004/1024 available, 0/512 used in inbound sessions:

a thought

randy

Message Edited by randyl on 01-29-2009 09:23 AM

i am having the same problem. so you are saying i should reduce the number of connections allowed on my azureus p2p client
NAT Sessions

current secs since boot: 83415
session table 916/1024 available, 25/512 used in inbound sessions:
sess[31095]: bkt 2, flags: 0x000001a1, proto: 17, cnt: 8

Message 6 of 6 (964 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.