Win XP Machine Can't Connect to 2wire, but connects to internet when IP is forced

Highlighted
Tutor

Win XP Machine Can't Connect to 2wire, but connects to internet when IP is forced

I am having a very odd issue.  My home network is working great.  I have a MacPro, a Macbook, My wifes Lenovo WinXP Laptop, a NAS Harddrive, and a robust wireless network and everything is working great!  I am usually able to figure things out, when they dont work. But this one has me so confused.

When I boot my mac pro into BootCamp + WinXP mode, it will not connect to the internet when set to DHCP ato configure.  The router see's it, and thinks it has assigned an IP address to the machine, but as far as an ipconfig /all is concerned, no ip has been given to the machine.  A tech support call got me as far as assigning an IP, a DNS Server and a Gateway, and that appeared to have fixed the problem ... but not entirely.

Some how I can access the internet, but it appears to be bypassing the 2 wire router now.  Which boggles my mind.  If i Ping yahoo.com it works.  If i ping the router IP it fails.  My WinXP also cannot see the rest of my home network.  Somehow its connected to the web, but not to the local network, and this has my mind blown.

I have tried resetting the 2wire, rebooting a million times, and nothing works.  But if i reboot into Mac OSX on the same machine, same network port, same everything, it works GREAT. No Issues.

If i switch back to DHCP assigned, my network adapter constatly says "Aquiring IP Address"  and never does.

Can someone please help!  Thank you.
Fred

Message 1 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Master

Re: Win XP Machine Can't Connect to 2wire, but connects to internet when IP is forced

On the XP side are there any warnings like update Broadcom Adapter in device manager or an error code and when you loaded XP did you acquire all necessary drivers.
Message Edited by oz on 07-18-2009 05:56 PM
Message 2 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Tutor

Re: Win XP Machine Can't Connect to 2wire, but connects to internet when IP is forced

No errors or warnings other than the "Limited or no Connectivity" warning on the network adapter when in auto dhcp mode.  Now with the dns gateway forced, i get no warnings or errors, but I cannot see the router or home network still.

Message 3 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Master

Have you tried running the Boot Camp drivers off of the OSX disc that came with the computer.
Message 4 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Tutor

What do you mean "running"  .. do you mean trying to reinstall the drivers from boot camp?  I have not yet...

The other piece of information I left off, was that this machine worked perfectly before UVerse ..  Before Uverse, I had AT&T DSL, and it worked perfectly, Mac, Windows, didnt matter.  Same machine, same install, same drivers....  So I have to believe its the router config...

Message 5 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Master

The drivers are different for ADSL and VDSL another thing you might check and see if it is defaulting to your prior IP with ADSL.
Message 6 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Tutor

Aha! Well that is something I did not know.  How do i find out which one I am using?  And which one do I want?  Is VDSL Uverser?  where do i find the correct driver if I dont have a bootcamp cd? I think i just got bootcamp from apples site..?

Message 7 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Master

Message 8 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Tutor

Oz,

Thanks.. That link seems to be more aout wireless....  I believe I specified before, but if I did not, this machine is hardwired to the 2wire router.

Message 9 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Master

The OSX disc ( Leopard) has the bootcamp drivers on the disc. On the XP side what does your device manager say when you bring it up besides

limited or no connection does it show a yellow triangle with an exclamation point if so the most current drivers for broadcom are probably missing. 

Yes Uverse is VDSL . 

Message Edited by oz on 07-18-2009 11:38 PM
Message 10 of 15 (1,877 Views)
Master

Sorry misread its late and I am tired no sleep last night but in device manager there should be a reason for not linking wired or wireless. This is the

only other thing I found. http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-23071-xp-internet-explorer-problem-with-boot-camp#p37834 

Message Edited by oz on 07-19-2009 12:17 AM
Message 11 of 15 (1,437 Views)
Tutor

Ok I reinstalled Boot camp drivers, this didnt do anything.

I turned on auto dhcp and yes, it has a yellow triangle with an exclam.

I am not sure what you mean by broadcom, my network card says its a  Intel(R) Pro /1000 EB Network Connection.

The only way I see the net is set manually

IP 192.168.1.253

Gateway 192.168.1.254

DNS 68.94.156.1

DNS 68.94.157.1

With that I can see the internet, but not my router or my home network at all.

So confused... thanks for the help this far, but man...  This system worked before UVerse, and I am starting to be swayed away from how cool it is.

Message 12 of 15 (1,437 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for that link.  I tried the 4.2.2.1 DNS and it also allows me to access the internet, but it is still not seeing my router RG.

Nor my home network

Message 13 of 15 (1,437 Views)
Tutor

Awesome.  Richard from Uverse Support just hooked me up.  It took about an hour of debugging, but it turns out even though I am not using VMWare Fusion, it is installed on the mac side of my machine, and the preferences for its networking needs to be set to NAT.  With that set, rebooting into windows, it started behaiving.

ODD.  I dont even use VMWare Fusion, i installed it to check it out...  

But it is working now!

omg.

Message 14 of 15 (1,437 Views)
Teacher

:smileyhappy: im glad they could help you
Message 15 of 15 (1,437 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.