Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 5, 2009
11:29:30 AM
View profile
Will there be any upcoming internet speed increases?
Ive read about how some of the cable companies are going to Docsis 3.0. This seems great as i am willing to pay more for faster internet. Im wondering if At&t/Uverse will be increasing their internet speeds and expanding the package offerings to compete with the other companies. I would like to have atleast 50mbps internet as i download lots of game demos, movies, and game patches. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Ive read about how some of the cable companies are going to Docsis 3.0. This seems great as i am willing to pay more for faster internet. Im wondering if At&t/Uverse will be increasing their internet speeds and expanding the package offerings to compete with the other companies. I would like to have atleast 50mbps internet as i download lots of game demos, movies, and game patches. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Will there be any upcoming internet speed increases?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2009 11:43:00 AM
(0)
Mentor

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&thread.id=11913

I don't know when this is going to happen, but I hope it does soon. As far as 50mbps goes, I wouldn't expect that any time soon. U-verse isn't capable of achieving those speeds because currently, the throughput is 25216kbps, which must be shared between TV, internet, and phone.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&thread.id=11913

I don't know when this is going to happen, but I hope it does soon. As far as 50mbps goes, I wouldn't expect that any time soon. U-verse isn't capable of achieving those speeds because currently, the throughput is 25216kbps, which must be shared between TV, internet, and phone.

Re: Will there be any upcoming internet speed increases?

2 of 7 (1,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2009 11:55:36 AM
(0)
Tutor
Interesting. Well, if Time Warner rolls it out first, looks like i will be switching back. I cant stand this slow speed anymore. Went to my friends house the other day (lives in a University Apartment Complex) and he was getting 86Mbps, or 10MBps Download speed, insane.
Interesting. Well, if Time Warner rolls it out first, looks like i will be switching back. I cant stand this slow speed anymore. Went to my friends house the other day (lives in a University Apartment Complex) and he was getting 86Mbps, or 10MBps Download speed, insane.

3 of 7 (1,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2009 12:50:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

86mbps? yeah on a university connection.

as far as 10mbps.  uverse currently has max12 (12mbps down/1.5mbps up) and max 18 (18mbps down/1.5mpbs up) and in some areas texting max turbo which is 24mbps down/2mbps up

as far as 10mbps.  uverse currently has max12 (12mbps down/1.5mbps up) and max 18 (18mbps down/1.5mpbs up) and in some areas texting max turbo which is 24mbps down/2mbps up

4 of 7 (1,737 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2009 2:06:25 PM
(0)
Expert

He was saying 10 MBytes per second, not 10 Mbits.

Although in my opinion, he was mistaken.  10 Mbits is more likely.  I know of no consumer Internet service that is consistently above 20 Mbps.

Even if there was an 86 Mbps connection available to your home, I can think of maybe 5 companies on the Internet that have servers that would be able to sustain that transfer rate.  In all other cases, your download speed would be significantly limited by the connection at the server's end.  Even major companies that have racks of servers in data centers are most often connected to the Internet by only a 100 Mbps Ethernet connection, and that's shared amongst all the people who are trying to download.

He was saying 10 MBytes per second, not 10 Mbits.

Although in my opinion, he was mistaken.  10 Mbits is more likely.  I know of no consumer Internet service that is consistently above 20 Mbps.

Even if there was an 86 Mbps connection available to your home, I can think of maybe 5 companies on the Internet that have servers that would be able to sustain that transfer rate.  In all other cases, your download speed would be significantly limited by the connection at the server's end.  Even major companies that have racks of servers in data centers are most often connected to the Internet by only a 100 Mbps Ethernet connection, and that's shared amongst all the people who are trying to download.

5 of 7 (1,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2009 7:44:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

Uverse is coming out with 24 d/l and 2 u/l soon but yeah testing it right now

Uverse is coming out with 24 d/l and 2 u/l soon but yeah testing it right now

6 of 7 (1,737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2009 6:09:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

mkoegle wrote:

Si

Mine today    Speed Test AT&T Uverse

mkoegle wrote:

Si

Mine today    Speed Test AT&T Uverse

7 of 7 (1,737 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments