Will technician connect from outside the house if I choose 'Self Installation' for U-verse Internet?

Teacher

Will technician connect from outside the house if I choose 'Self Installation' for U-verse Internet?

Hello all! Firstly, let me thank you all for providing such a forum/alternative where 'potential customers' like me can research options before taking a decision.

Hello all! Firstly, let me thank you all for providing such a forum/alternative where 'potential customers' like me can research options before taking a decision.

My question mainly is that after chatting with chat ppl, i'm confused as to whether a tech frm att will need to come outside my house to connect frm wht i've been reading as a 'Vrad' or 'Nid' to outside the 'grey box' outside my house? I'm assuming tht they'll ship the 'green' data cable along with the RG if i do the self install? May i simply 'put in' one end of the green data cable into the 'phone jack' and the opposite end into the back of the 'RG'.  From the RG, i can run ethernet to the 'switch' and into my local network of 2 desktop computers and 1 HP pavillion laptop pc?

My question mainly is that after chatting with chat ppl, i'm confused as to whether a tech frm att will need to come outside my house to connect frm wht i've been reading as a 'Vrad' or 'Nid' to outside the 'grey box' outside my house? I'm assuming tht they'll ship the 'green' data cable along with the RG if i do the self install? May i simply 'put in' one end of the green data cable into the 'phone jack' and the opposite end into the back of the 'RG'.  From the RG, i can run ethernet to the 'switch' and into my local network of 2 desktop computers and 1 HP pavillion laptop pc?

........Thanks to everyone for replying  in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Expert

Re: Will technician connect from outside the house if I choose 'Self Installation' for U-verse Inter

I've never done a self-install of UV, but your assumptions sound correct.

VRAD is the big box in the neighborhood (most likely not in your backyard); NID is the gray box on your home where the phonelines come in to your home.

jamesSB wrote:

........Thanks to everyone for replying  in advance.

Message 2 of 9
Scholar

Re: Will technician connect from outside the house if I choose 'Self Installation' for U-verse Inter

Correct, for HSIA CSI you should only have to hook up your equipment inside the house.  All work up to the side of the house should be done by the Prem Tech.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 3 of 9
Teacher

Thank you. However, could you or anybody else tell what exactly will be provided with the Self Installation kit for Uv Internet along with RG?

Message 4 of 9
Expert

ATT seems to be rather secretive about this on their site; I came up with nothing.  They have a video for self-install of Voice, but not HSI.

Take a look at SomeJoe's post here for some further info.

When I had regular DSL, the kit was a modem, Ethernet and phone cables, and a CD (that I didn't use).

Message 5 of 9
Scholar

The kit should include the RG/Modem, cable, instructions and installation CD.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 6 of 9
Expert

Do you know if there is anything on ATT's site?  I couldn't find anything about the HSI self-install kit.  In case I missed it, and a link could be posted here?

Message 7 of 9
ACE - Expert

I couldn't find anything on AT&T's sites.  Using Google (for AT&T U-verse HSI self-install) I was able to find several references to it.  Some said you had to call to place an order.  Another was a link to an internal sales document describing how to set up a customer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 9
Expert

OK, then it just isn't there (and should be, IMO). Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support