Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 16, 2010
5:51:23 PM
View profile
Will ATT follow Charter in imposing monthly internet usage caps?

I noticed at the link below that Charter plans to institute monthly internet usage caps in December:

http://gigaom.com/2010/11/11/charter-follows-comcast-with-broadband-usage-caps/

Does anyone know if ATT is going to follow Charter with this policy?

I noticed at the link below that Charter plans to institute monthly internet usage caps in December:

http://gigaom.com/2010/11/11/charter-follows-comcast-with-broadband-usage-caps/

Does anyone know if ATT is going to follow Charter with this policy?

Will ATT follow Charter in imposing monthly internet usage caps?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2010 5:52:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Will ATT follow Charter in imposing monthly internet usage caps?

2 of 8 (1,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2010 3:36:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hmmm, couldn't read very well.  Charter is a pretty crappy service. My mom has it and unfortunately it's either Charter or satellite and she doesn't want to go with satellite so she's stuck with them.  More issues than she cares to mention.  It really doesn't surprise me that they are the ones doing this.  I think TWC tried it and failed miserably so I don't see any real service doing it again anytime in the near future.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

hmmm, couldn't read very well.  Charter is a pretty crappy service. My mom has it and unfortunately it's either Charter or satellite and she doesn't want to go with satellite so she's stuck with them.  More issues than she cares to mention.  It really doesn't surprise me that they are the ones doing this.  I think TWC tried it and failed miserably so I don't see any real service doing it again anytime in the near future.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 8 (1,274 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2010 3:31:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Usage caps?  Might happen.  Might not.  Might happen for every provider at some point.  Might not.  Smiley Very Happy  

There was a "chicken little" type user who proclaimed that the sky was falling and U-Verse was going to mandate caps.  This user polluted this forum and Uverseusers.com back in 2008 that caps "were right around the corner" and stated that some town out west (Reno, IIRC) were a test bed for it.  Lots of arguing.  The cap trial was for DSL, IIRC and have heard little more about caps in over two years!

Usage caps?  Might happen.  Might not.  Might happen for every provider at some point.  Might not.  Smiley Very Happy  

There was a "chicken little" type user who proclaimed that the sky was falling and U-Verse was going to mandate caps.  This user polluted this forum and Uverseusers.com back in 2008 that caps "were right around the corner" and stated that some town out west (Reno, IIRC) were a test bed for it.  Lots of arguing.  The cap trial was for DSL, IIRC and have heard little more about caps in over two years!

4 of 8 (1,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2010 4:22:21 PM
(0)
Scholar

If any system should be immune from data caps it should be a fiber system like U-verse.  However I do think that we will inevitably be paying more for our internet access as these "cable" companies realise that they are really just ISP's.

If any system should be immune from data caps it should be a fiber system like U-verse.  However I do think that we will inevitably be paying more for our internet access as these "cable" companies realise that they are really just ISP's.

5 of 8 (1,192 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2010 10:27:19 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Stringrazor on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:28:26 PM

oufanindallas wrote:

+1

I had to live with Charter or no TV for many years. When ATT *FINALLY* brought U-Verse to my neighborhood I switched as fast as i could. Charter's "bundle" is slightly cheaper but their service is horrible. I'd rather use tin cans and string.

oufanindallas wrote:

+1

I had to live with Charter or no TV for many years. When ATT *FINALLY* brought U-Verse to my neighborhood I switched as fast as i could. Charter's "bundle" is slightly cheaper but their service is horrible. I'd rather use tin cans and string.

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (1,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2010 6:22:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

Bandwidth caps are inevitable at this point. Without caps, more and more people will be switching to streaming services (Netflix, GoogleTV, etc) and taking money away from TV providers. Consequently, TV providers are (in most markets) also the HSIA providers, so to protect their investments on the TV side they will HAVE to implement caps.

I love the way things are going with Streaming and A-la-carte choices, but the Internet providers aren't going to give up easily.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Bandwidth caps are inevitable at this point. Without caps, more and more people will be switching to streaming services (Netflix, GoogleTV, etc) and taking money away from TV providers. Consequently, TV providers are (in most markets) also the HSIA providers, so to protect their investments on the TV side they will HAVE to implement caps.

I love the way things are going with Streaming and A-la-carte choices, but the Internet providers aren't going to give up easily.

7 of 8 (896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2010 10:36:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

nobody_1 wrote:

Especially those like Comcast who have hands in multiple cookie jars (Internet, TV, TV networks, studios and so on).

nobody_1 wrote:

Especially those like Comcast who have hands in multiple cookie jars (Internet, TV, TV networks, studios and so on).

8 of 8 (732 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments