Helpful Links

WiFi Connection Drops In & Out Every Other Second Just Feet Away From Router

Contributor

WiFi Connection Drops In & Out Every Other Second Just Feet Away From Router

This is no logner a problem for me so I thought I would share the problem and resolution with others.  We got AT&T last week and had the router installed in my home office just 5 feet away from my compter.  Since the router went in on the other side of the room I just did a WiFi connection since it was safe to assume that my computer would get the best connection because of how closer it was to the router.

The next day my WiFi connection began cutting in and out every other second.  The only solution was to run a CAT cable to the router and computer and take the WiFi out of the equation.  The cause?  AT&T believes the router was so close that the signal was essentially overpowering my WiFi adapter because the signal was so strong and so close.  Their fix?  They sent out a tech to drop a line on the other side of my office and moved the router so I would have a hard line connection between the router and computer.

Very impressed with AT&T so far.

Message 1 of 3
Master

Re: WiFi Connection Drops In & Out Every Other Second Just Feet Away From Router

You might try selecting another channel 1 through 11 just to see if the one it selected was already heavy in use a program such as Net Stumbler

will show the channels being used their signal strength and noise. Just incase you want to try wireless again. 

Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: WiFi Connection Drops In & Out Every Other Second Just Feet Away From Router

THANK YOU!!  I have 2 laptops, one was sitting about 1ft away from the router (work), the other a couple of feet away (personal).  The one closest would never connect automatically, had to ping the networks several times just to find mine, and connect??  Ha.  My personal laptop never had any issues.  I called AT&T and they said that it was because my work laptop used a VPN connection, and that AT&T doesn't support that (say WHAT??   But that's another issue).   Heck, you have to connect FIRST to the network before you can even connect to VPN, so I knew that wasn't the problem.

I just moved the router about 18 inches away thanks to your timely note, and issue is resolved. 

Dang, you'd think that 1) the guy that set up the system would have known that (and yes, he knew that's where I used the work laptop... but then again, he was a real estate broker in his previous life, so I didn't expect much from him); and 2) that AT&T tech support would have a clue.

Not impressed with AT&T so far..

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support