Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 29, 2007
4:40:46 PM
Wi-Fi problems at hot spots? RESOLVED!
Since going over to Uverse from DSL, I am not able to get past the login screen at hot spots.  I called Tech Support while on-the-road and they were at a loss to help me.

I've tried changing everything, including disabling my virus protection and its firewall.

Anyone else experienced this?

Suggestions to get it working appreciated. :smileyhappy:

R E S O L V E D !!!

Message Edited by spd2demun on 08-05-2007 08:44 AM
Since going over to Uverse from DSL, I am not able to get past the login screen at hot spots.  I called Tech Support while on-the-road and they were at a loss to help me.

I've tried changing everything, including disabling my virus protection and its firewall.

Anyone else experienced this?

Suggestions to get it working appreciated. :smileyhappy:

R E S O L V E D !!!

Message Edited by spd2demun on 08-05-2007 08:44 AM

Wi-Fi problems at hot spots? RESOLVED!

24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2007 9:28:32 PM
(0)
Professor
Were you a subscriber in the past to AT&T Wifi (or whatever they call it)?
Were you a subscriber in the past to AT&T Wifi (or whatever they call it)?

Re: Wi-Fi problems at hot spots?

2 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2007 9:34:09 PM
(0)
Professor
I never had, and still don't have a subscription to AT&T Wi-Fi service, but logging into any hotspot (doesn't even have to be AT&T's) using my U-verse login gets me right in. And there are no charges on my bill for it either (just got this months bill).
I never had, and still don't have a subscription to AT&T Wi-Fi service, but logging into any hotspot (doesn't even have to be AT&T's) using my U-verse login gets me right in. And there are no charges on my bill for it either (just got this months bill).

3 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2007 9:51:44 PM
(0)
Professor
I know that we get it free. But I know spd2demun said that he/she was using hotspots since before U-verse. So I was wondering if he/she was a subscriber if there was some conflict in the account when he/she switched over to U-verse and now that's why he/she can't log in.
I know that we get it free. But I know spd2demun said that he/she was using hotspots since before U-verse. So I was wondering if he/she was a subscriber if there was some conflict in the account when he/she switched over to U-verse and now that's why he/she can't log in.

4 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2007 12:40:24 AM
(0)
Expert
No, I was not getting it then, or even aware I was eligible.  When I signed up for DSL the last time (of 3 upgrades), it was by subscription only.  I just discovered it was included with DSL Pro or Elite when I went online looking at Uverse.

I was able to do hot spots but I think there is something blocking somewhere.  I stopped Win firewall and my virus program's, even stopped the whole virus program and still wouldn't connect past the login page.  Before, I could just hop on wherever.

Something is definitely configged wrong and I can't find it!  GRRRRRR. 

When WiFi is connected, I'm seeing a lock on the Network Connections properties icon; which means firewall/blocked.

Koolkid and I discussed known McDs in our area; and I tried another one last night...same Wayport red screen/McDs logo, but this time no ATT WiFi logo.  I used ATTs program as a test, but normally use the reg. Win program.  Funny, girl at the drivethru said, you mean Wee Fee?  Is that a joke? :smileytongue:

Is this something I should contact DSL about even though I am Uverse now?  Or whom at Uverse should I ask for, what department?  Someone has GOT to be able to check this out.

Going to visit San Antonio...maybe I should drop into the corp. ofc.?  Would they be able to help? :smileyhappy:  Just kidding!

Message Edited by spd2demun on 08-05-2007 08:45 AM
No, I was not getting it then, or even aware I was eligible.  When I signed up for DSL the last time (of 3 upgrades), it was by subscription only.  I just discovered it was included with DSL Pro or Elite when I went online looking at Uverse.

I was able to do hot spots but I think there is something blocking somewhere.  I stopped Win firewall and my virus program's, even stopped the whole virus program and still wouldn't connect past the login page.  Before, I could just hop on wherever.

Something is definitely configged wrong and I can't find it!  GRRRRRR. 

When WiFi is connected, I'm seeing a lock on the Network Connections properties icon; which means firewall/blocked.

Koolkid and I discussed known McDs in our area; and I tried another one last night...same Wayport red screen/McDs logo, but this time no ATT WiFi logo.  I used ATTs program as a test, but normally use the reg. Win program.  Funny, girl at the drivethru said, you mean Wee Fee?  Is that a joke? :smileytongue:

Is this something I should contact DSL about even though I am Uverse now?  Or whom at Uverse should I ask for, what department?  Someone has GOT to be able to check this out.

Going to visit San Antonio...maybe I should drop into the corp. ofc.?  Would they be able to help? :smileyhappy:  Just kidding!

5 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2007 4:31:27 AM
(0)
Professor
Can you access a devicelist and see the access points at the McDonalds?
Can you access a devicelist and see the access points at the McDonalds?

6 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2007 5:22:19 AM
(0)
Expert
I posted my solution on the other Uverse board, but haven't been getting my e-mail notifications here. :smileymad:

No, I could not see McD's/ATT's list.

A helpful Tech at ATT checked out my connection at the location I was at, and discovered that my IP address was not "releasing".  Because I had set it for home to my WAP (to keep out a piggybacking neighbor), it was not letting me connect wirelessly away from home.  All fixed now!

I can usually connect without McDs, but if I happen to be at one, they come up first.  In the big cowtown here, not many have WiFi in my area.  And depending where I am, there are no WiFi's unlocked except at the McD's.

BTW, I did a copied list on my laptop of all the available connections around town for ATT WiFi so I will know where to get a connection if I'm out and other methods fail.  :smileyhappy:   R E S O L V E D  !!!

I posted my solution on the other Uverse board, but haven't been getting my e-mail notifications here. :smileymad:

No, I could not see McD's/ATT's list.

A helpful Tech at ATT checked out my connection at the location I was at, and discovered that my IP address was not "releasing".  Because I had set it for home to my WAP (to keep out a piggybacking neighbor), it was not letting me connect wirelessly away from home.  All fixed now!

I can usually connect without McDs, but if I happen to be at one, they come up first.  In the big cowtown here, not many have WiFi in my area.  And depending where I am, there are no WiFi's unlocked except at the McD's.

BTW, I did a copied list on my laptop of all the available connections around town for ATT WiFi so I will know where to get a connection if I'm out and other methods fail.  :smileyhappy:   R E S O L V E D  !!!

Re: Wi-Fi problems at hot spots? RESOLUTION...

7 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2007 7:43:01 AM
(0)
Master
So I tried connecting at McD's this week when on vacation. I could connect just fine, but when I tried to login using my Uverse login, it wouldn't let me. So I called the WiFi tech support and she wasn't even aware that Uverse users got free WiFi access. She went and checked and verified that I was correct in saying that I should have access, but couldn't tell me why my login wouldn't work. She said I would have to call Uverse tech support to find out why it wouldn't let me. She gave me an access code that would work 5 times at McD's for a temporary fix, but I still need to call and find out what is going on....
So I tried connecting at McD's this week when on vacation. I could connect just fine, but when I tried to login using my Uverse login, it wouldn't let me. So I called the WiFi tech support and she wasn't even aware that Uverse users got free WiFi access. She went and checked and verified that I was correct in saying that I should have access, but couldn't tell me why my login wouldn't work. She said I would have to call Uverse tech support to find out why it wouldn't let me. She gave me an access code that would work 5 times at McD's for a temporary fix, but I still need to call and find out what is going on....

8 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2007 7:48:01 AM
(0)
Expert
I found (from a phone tech) that my IP address wasn't releasing, as it was set for home (to the RG).  So we did a reset/release of the IP, rebooted, and I could log in!  Might be your situation?  And the login on the 1st line is only your ATT/Yahoo user name (part before the @ whatever att group); 2nd line is the drop-down for your @ whatever att; 3rd is password you use for ATT/Yahoo login.

And I have profiles set in my AV program, so when I'm out, I always switch to Wireless as my home one is set to the RG only.  But I'm sure you know to check there...
I found (from a phone tech) that my IP address wasn't releasing, as it was set for home (to the RG).  So we did a reset/release of the IP, rebooted, and I could log in!  Might be your situation?  And the login on the 1st line is only your ATT/Yahoo user name (part before the @ whatever att group); 2nd line is the drop-down for your @ whatever att; 3rd is password you use for ATT/Yahoo login.

And I have profiles set in my AV program, so when I'm out, I always switch to Wireless as my home one is set to the RG only.  But I'm sure you know to check there...

9 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2007 8:13:53 AM
(0)
Master
Well my connection part was fine, once the tech lady checked my connection, she gave me 2 hours of access from that McD's, so it has something to do wtih my username and password being recognized.
Well my connection part was fine, once the tech lady checked my connection, she gave me 2 hours of access from that McD's, so it has something to do wtih my username and password being recognized.

10 of 25 (2,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2007 8:27:59 AM
(0)
Expert
I mentioned that about the login because I was using my whole e-mail addy on the first line, then selecting @sbcglobal.net and it wouldn't take it.  So it was seeing sbcglobal.net twice.  It was not logical.:smileyvery-happy:
I mentioned that about the login because I was using my whole e-mail addy on the first line, then selecting @sbcglobal.net and it wouldn't take it.  So it was seeing sbcglobal.net twice.  It was not logical.:smileyvery-happy:

11 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2008 4:26:34 PM
(0)
Contributor
    How do you release your IP so you can log in at the McDonalds?
    How do you release your IP so you can log in at the McDonalds?

12 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2008 7:59:11 PM
(0)
Expert
I would have to go into the TCP/IP option of Properties on the General tab in my Wireless Connection (Network Connections), or whatever it is in Vista (if you have that).  I had to pick the option for Obtain IP Address Automatically (then all fields will clear from previous selections) and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically (other field will clear).

Then the Alternate Config. tab, I would select Auto Private IP Address.  I don't use the pseudo-static anymore, and it makes things easier.

But you might have an A/V program that is grabbing it as well; my program allows me to change profiles, which I do when I'm away from home.

Maybe someone else has a quicker method? 
I would have to go into the TCP/IP option of Properties on the General tab in my Wireless Connection (Network Connections), or whatever it is in Vista (if you have that).  I had to pick the option for Obtain IP Address Automatically (then all fields will clear from previous selections) and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically (other field will clear).

Then the Alternate Config. tab, I would select Auto Private IP Address.  I don't use the pseudo-static anymore, and it makes things easier.

But you might have an A/V program that is grabbing it as well; my program allows me to change profiles, which I do when I'm away from home.

13 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2008 9:07:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
    Thanks for your answer.  I will try it when I get a chance and I hope it works.

spd2demun wrote:

Thanks for your answer.  I will try it when I get a chance and I hope it works.

spd2demun wrote:

14 of 25 (1,980 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2008 6:48:10 PM
(0)
Expert
You can also do a ping to release it, but I forgot how.:smileysad:

15 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2008 7:12:31 PM
(0)
Master

spd2demun wrote:

USAGE:
    ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |
              /flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns |
              /showclassid adapter |
              /setclassid adapter [classid] ]

where
    adapter         Connection name
                   (wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples)

Options:
       /?           Display this help message
       /all         Display full configuration information.
       /release     Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
       /renew       Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
       /flushdns    Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
       /registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
       /displaydns  Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
       /showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.
       /setclassid  Modifies the dhcp class id. 

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

spd2demun wrote:

USAGE:
    ipconfig [/? | /all | /renew [adapter] | /release [adapter] |
              /flushdns | /displaydns | /registerdns |
              /showclassid adapter |
              /setclassid adapter [classid] ]

where
    adapter         Connection name
                   (wildcard characters * and ? allowed, see examples)

Options:
       /?           Display this help message
       /all         Display full configuration information.
       /release     Release the IP address for the specified adapter.
       /renew       Renew the IP address for the specified adapter.
       /flushdns    Purges the DNS Resolver cache.
       /registerdns Refreshes all DHCP leases and re-registers DNS names
       /displaydns  Display the contents of the DNS Resolver Cache.
       /showclassid Displays all the dhcp class IDs allowed for adapter.
       /setclassid  Modifies the dhcp class id. 

The default is to display only the IP address, subnet mask and
default gateway for each adapter bound to TCP/IP.

For Release and Renew, if no adapter name is specified, then the IP address
leases for all adapters bound to TCP/IP will be released or renewed.

For Setclassid, if no ClassId is specified, then the ClassId is removed.

16 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2008 7:18:07 PM
(0)
Expert
Thanks for your expertise in pinging. :smileywink:
Thanks for your expertise in pinging. :smileywink:

17 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2008 7:50:54 AM
(0)
Teacher
I have been trying to get an answer for this for a while. Do I have Free excess to WI-FI? If so is the free excess limited to McD only or can I excess any WI-FI, say at All airports even those with BONGO?
I have been trying to get an answer for this for a while. Do I have Free excess to WI-FI? If so is the free excess limited to McD only or can I excess any WI-FI, say at All airports even those with BONGO?

18 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2008 8:08:13 AM
(0)
Master
Just ATT WiFi spots
Just ATT WiFi spots

19 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2008 8:06:00 PM
(0)
Expert
And it's not just McDs (and not ALL McDs have it), also some B&N, Starbucks, airports, etc.  Their site will let you do a search for hotspots wherever you are. :smileywink:
And it's not just McDs (and not ALL McDs have it), also some B&N, Starbucks, airports, etc.  Their site will let you do a search for hotspots wherever you are. :smileywink:

20 of 25 (1,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2008 1:15:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

hello,I'm new and I came here for the same reasons as some of you. I'm having the same problem as described in this thread, I contacted att but they were useless, they kept redirecting me to a different department--in a loop!-- in attempt to solve my issue but no one had a good notion of my problem much less on how to solve it.

anyway, I ran the commands posted by randyl in command promt. I tried to release my IP adress and got the following:

[windows IP configuration

No opperation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconected]

What exactly is this refering to? I'm afraid to run more commands blindly as I don't have much experience on this and I don't want to screw anything up.

hello,I'm new and I came here for the same reasons as some of you. I'm having the same problem as described in this thread, I contacted att but they were useless, they kept redirecting me to a different department--in a loop!-- in attempt to solve my issue but no one had a good notion of my problem much less on how to solve it.

anyway, I ran the commands posted by randyl in command promt. I tried to release my IP adress and got the following:

No opperation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconected]

What exactly is this refering to? I'm afraid to run more commands blindly as I don't have much experience on this and I don't want to screw anything up.

21 of 25 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2008 6:37:25 AM
(0)
Guru

What that means is you're not even connected at layer 1/2.  In other words, you're not connecting to the wireless router or access point; that has to happen before you can get an IP address.

What operating system are you using, and what happens when you try to connect?

What that means is you're not even connected at layer 1/2.  In other words, you're not connecting to the wireless router or access point; that has to happen before you can get an IP address.

What operating system are you using, and what happens when you try to connect?

22 of 25 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2008 11:05:27 PM
(0)
Expert
Can you connect to wireless AT HOME?
Is it only Wi-Fi AWAY FROM HOME that won't connect? 

sphinx wrote:

Can you connect to wireless AT HOME?
Is it only Wi-Fi AWAY FROM HOME that won't connect? 

sphinx wrote:

23 of 25 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2008 9:36:59 AM
(0)
Tutor
I am able to connect successfully everywhere (school, home, and other free hotspots), but when I try to log in to any of the att hotspots my log in credentials are rejected. I'll try to contact uverse tech servise for the att wifi techs couldn't really helped much.
I am able to connect successfully everywhere (school, home, and other free hotspots), but when I try to log in to any of the att hotspots my log in credentials are rejected. I'll try to contact uverse tech servise for the att wifi techs couldn't really helped much.

24 of 25 (1,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2008 9:40:07 AM
(0)
Tutor
I'm running windows vista bussiness and as I said before, I can connect to any router. when doing the pinging I was connected to my router at home and it dint work.
I'm running windows vista bussiness and as I said before, I can connect to any router. when doing the pinging I was connected to my router at home and it dint work.

25 of 25 (1,435 Views)