Wi-Fi problems at hot spots? RESOLVED!

Expert

Wi-Fi problems at hot spots? RESOLVED!

Since going over to Uverse from DSL, I am not able to get past the login screen at hot spots.  I called Tech Support while on-the-road and they were at a loss to help me.

I've tried changing everything, including disabling my virus protection and its firewall.

Anyone else experienced this?

Suggestions to get it working appreciated. :smileyhappy:

R E S O L V E D !!!

Message Edited by spd2demun on 08-05-2007 08:44 AM
Message 1 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Professor

Re: Wi-Fi problems at hot spots?

Were you a subscriber in the past to AT&T Wifi (or whatever they call it)?
Message 2 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Professor

I never had, and still don't have a subscription to AT&T Wi-Fi service, but logging into any hotspot (doesn't even have to be AT&T's) using my U-verse login gets me right in. And there are no charges on my bill for it either (just got this months bill).
Message 3 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Professor

I know that we get it free. But I know spd2demun said that he/she was using hotspots since before U-verse. So I was wondering if he/she was a subscriber if there was some conflict in the account when he/she switched over to U-verse and now that's why he/she can't log in.
Message 4 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Expert

No, I was not getting it then, or even aware I was eligible.  When I signed up for DSL the last time (of 3 upgrades), it was by subscription only.  I just discovered it was included with DSL Pro or Elite when I went online looking at Uverse.

I was able to do hot spots but I think there is something blocking somewhere.  I stopped Win firewall and my virus program's, even stopped the whole virus program and still wouldn't connect past the login page.  Before, I could just hop on wherever.

Something is definitely configged wrong and I can't find it!  GRRRRRR. 

When WiFi is connected, I'm seeing a lock on the Network Connections properties icon; which means firewall/blocked.

Koolkid and I discussed known McDs in our area; and I tried another one last night...same Wayport red screen/McDs logo, but this time no ATT WiFi logo.  I used ATTs program as a test, but normally use the reg. Win program.  Funny, girl at the drivethru said, you mean Wee Fee?  Is that a joke? :smileytongue:

Is this something I should contact DSL about even though I am Uverse now?  Or whom at Uverse should I ask for, what department?  Someone has GOT to be able to check this out.

Going to visit San Antonio...maybe I should drop into the corp. ofc.?  Would they be able to help? :smileyhappy:  Just kidding!

Message Edited by spd2demun on 08-05-2007 08:45 AM
Message 5 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Professor

Can you access a devicelist and see the access points at the McDonalds?
Message 6 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Expert

Re: Wi-Fi problems at hot spots? RESOLUTION...

I posted my solution on the other Uverse board, but haven't been getting my e-mail notifications here. :smileymad:

No, I could not see McD's/ATT's list.

A helpful Tech at ATT checked out my connection at the location I was at, and discovered that my IP address was not "releasing".  Because I had set it for home to my WAP (to keep out a piggybacking neighbor), it was not letting me connect wirelessly away from home.  All fixed now!

I can usually connect without McDs, but if I happen to be at one, they come up first.  In the big cowtown here, not many have WiFi in my area.  And depending where I am, there are no WiFi's unlocked except at the McD's.

BTW, I did a copied list on my laptop of all the available connections around town for ATT WiFi so I will know where to get a connection if I'm out and other methods fail.  :smileyhappy:   R E S O L V E D  !!!

Message Edited by spd2demun on 08-05-2007 08:45 AM
Message 7 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Master

So I tried connecting at McD's this week when on vacation. I could connect just fine, but when I tried to login using my Uverse login, it wouldn't let me. So I called the WiFi tech support and she wasn't even aware that Uverse users got free WiFi access. She went and checked and verified that I was correct in saying that I should have access, but couldn't tell me why my login wouldn't work. She said I would have to call Uverse tech support to find out why it wouldn't let me. She gave me an access code that would work 5 times at McD's for a temporary fix, but I still need to call and find out what is going on....
Message 8 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Expert

I found (from a phone tech) that my IP address wasn't releasing, as it was set for home (to the RG).  So we did a reset/release of the IP, rebooted, and I could log in!  Might be your situation?  And the login on the 1st line is only your ATT/Yahoo user name (part before the @ whatever att group); 2nd line is the drop-down for your @ whatever att; 3rd is password you use for ATT/Yahoo login.

And I have profiles set in my AV program, so when I'm out, I always switch to Wireless as my home one is set to the RG only.  But I'm sure you know to check there...
Message 9 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Master

Well my connection part was fine, once the tech lady checked my connection, she gave me 2 hours of access from that McD's, so it has something to do wtih my username and password being recognized.
Message 10 of 25 (2,238 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

I mentioned that about the login because I was using my whole e-mail addy on the first line, then selecting @sbcglobal.net and it wouldn't take it.  So it was seeing sbcglobal.net twice.  It was not logical.:smileyvery-happy:
Message 11 of 25 (1,999 Views)
Contributor

How do you release your IP so you can log in at the McDonalds?
Message 12 of 25 (1,999 Views)
Expert

I would have to go into the TCP/IP option of Properties on the General tab in my Wireless Connection (Network Connections), or whatever it is in Vista (if you have that).  I had to pick the option for Obtain IP Address Automatically (then all fields will clear from previous selections) and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically (other field will clear).

Then the Alternate Config. tab, I would select Auto Private IP Address.  I don't use the pseudo-static anymore, and it makes things easier.

But you might have an A/V program that is grabbing it as well; my program allows me to change profiles, which I do when I'm away from home.

Maybe someone else has a quicker method? 
Message 13 of 25 (1,999 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.  I will try it when I get a chance and I hope it works.

spd2demun wrote:
I would have to go into the TCP/IP option of Properties on the General tab in my Wireless Connection (Network Connections), or whatever it is in Vista (if you have that).  I had to pick the option for Obtain IP Address Automatically (then all fields will clear from previous selections) and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically (other field will clear).

Then the Alternate Config. tab, I would select Auto Private IP Address.  I don't use the pseudo-static anymore, and it makes things easier.

But you might have an A/V program that is grabbing it as well; my program allows me to change profiles, which I do when I'm away from home.

Maybe someone else has a quicker method? 

Message 14 of 25 (1,999 Views)
Expert

You can also do a ping to release it, but I forgot how.:smileysad:
Message 15 of 25 (1,999 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.