Why is AT&T restricting access to news site video's? CNN, local TV, etc.

Teacher

Why is AT&T restricting access to news site video's? CNN, local TV, etc.

About three weeks ago my wife and I noticed that video's on cnn.com and our local TV stations no longer stream in fast enough to watch. The typical 2-3 minute news story would have to be paused for 5 minutes or more to be playable. I would test at a couple of speed tests site, no trouble there. Our same laptops work fine on non-AT&T networks. Today I had a shell open on a server over an encrypted VPN tunnel, all of my traffic was routing over this, and while some database repair commands were running I was reading news at CNN. I clicked a video, before I could make it to the pause button 40% of the video was in the buffer. I watched a couple more, worked great. My local TV stations had the same results. I disconnected my VPN tunnel and back to the poor performance. So, I conclude that AT&T is intentionally cutting off news video's. Downloads work great, full speed. Torrents are working too. Why is AT&T targeting news and other streaming video's and degrading performance?

Message 1 of 2
Mentor

Re: Why is AT&T restricting access to news site video's? CNN, local TV, etc.

They are not blocking them, they just dont know how to run a network or are being very cheap making us use BAD routes.

see:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Netflix-unwatchable-Internet-otherwise-fine/td-p/266416...

23 pages, most complaints.... Last page has a funny little story/answer AT&T gave for reason... My suggestion. Call and complain, keep posting about it and if need be switch providers.... They seem to not care as much anymore. Which I dont get, not like they got people under contract...

This company needs to change big time for the better.

Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support