Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 25, 2011
4:38:19 PM
Why is AT&T restricting access to news site video's? CNN, local TV, etc.

About three weeks ago my wife and I noticed that video's on cnn.com and our local TV stations no longer stream in fast enough to watch. The typical 2-3 minute news story would have to be paused for 5 minutes or more to be playable. I would test at a couple of speed tests site, no trouble there. Our same laptops work fine on non-AT&T networks. Today I had a shell open on a server over an encrypted VPN tunnel, all of my traffic was routing over this, and while some database repair commands were running I was reading news at CNN. I clicked a video, before I could make it to the pause button 40% of the video was in the buffer. I watched a couple more, worked great. My local TV stations had the same results. I disconnected my VPN tunnel and back to the poor performance. So, I conclude that AT&T is intentionally cutting off news video's. Downloads work great, full speed. Torrents are working too. Why is AT&T targeting news and other streaming video's and degrading performance?

About three weeks ago my wife and I noticed that video's on cnn.com and our local TV stations no longer stream in fast enough to watch. The typical 2-3 minute news story would have to be paused for 5 minutes or more to be playable. I would test at a couple of speed tests site, no trouble there. Our same laptops work fine on non-AT&T networks. Today I had a shell open on a server over an encrypted VPN tunnel, all of my traffic was routing over this, and while some database repair commands were running I was reading news at CNN. I clicked a video, before I could make it to the pause button 40% of the video was in the buffer. I watched a couple more, worked great. My local TV stations had the same results. I disconnected my VPN tunnel and back to the poor performance. So, I conclude that AT&T is intentionally cutting off news video's. Downloads work great, full speed. Torrents are working too. Why is AT&T targeting news and other streaming video's and degrading performance?

Why is AT&T restricting access to news site video's? CNN, local TV, etc.

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 5:14:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

They are not blocking them, they just dont know how to run a network or are being very cheap making us use BAD routes.

see:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Netflix-unwatchable-Internet-otherwise-fine/td-p/266416...

23 pages, most complaints.... Last page has a funny little story/answer AT&T gave for reason... My suggestion. Call and complain, keep posting about it and if need be switch providers.... They seem to not care as much anymore. Which I dont get, not like they got people under contract...

This company needs to change big time for the better.

They are not blocking them, they just dont know how to run a network or are being very cheap making us use BAD routes.

see:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Netflix-unwatchable-Internet-otherwise-fine/td-p/2664161

23 pages, most complaints.... Last page has a funny little story/answer AT&T gave for reason... My suggestion. Call and complain, keep posting about it and if need be switch providers.... They seem to not care as much anymore. Which I dont get, not like they got people under contract...

This company needs to change big time for the better.

Re: Why is AT&T restricting access to news site video's? CNN, local TV, etc.

2 of 2 (366 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments