Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 18, 2011
11:37:07 PM
Why is AT&T blocking CNN and local TV video's?
Edited by Tifa_Shines on Mar 19, 2011 at 9:37:58 AM

I have to start then pause a 3 minute video for 5-8 minutes to buffer the stream. Why does it take up to ten minutes to download a 3 minute news video? Speed tests from here run fine. If I establish a VPN tunnel to a non-AT&T network and route all of my traffic over it, all of the same news sites stream in video at full speed. CNN, WTHN, WFSB, etc.

Why is AT&T intentionally disrupting other content providers? 

And you want to cap this {Keep it Appropriate} service?

I have to start then pause a 3 minute video for 5-8 minutes to buffer the stream. Why does it take up to ten minutes to download a 3 minute news video? Speed tests from here run fine. If I establish a VPN tunnel to a non-AT&T network and route all of my traffic over it, all of the same news sites stream in video at full speed. CNN, WTHN, WFSB, etc.

Why is AT&T blocking CNN and local TV video's?

[ Edited ]
25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 4:33:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Mar 19, 2011 at 4:35:53 AM

Not sure what was going on when you posted this but I just watched a 2:45 video on CNN that downloaded in a matter of seconds.  There was a bit of buffering but nothing out of the ordinary.

Not sure what was going on when you posted this but I just watched a 2:45 video on CNN that downloaded in a matter of seconds.  There was a bit of buffering but nothing out of the ordinary.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why is AT&T blocking CNN and local TV video's?

[ Edited ]
2 of 26 (964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 5:29:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Tifa_Shines on Mar 19, 2011 at 9:38:19 AM

Mentalfloss wrote:

No issues here.  Must be something with your connection.  AT&T is not blocking any sites.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Mentalfloss wrote:

No issues here.  Must be something with your connection.  AT&T is not blocking any sites.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
3 of 26 (946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 11:53:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

After reading these forums for several months, I finally registered to respond to this post. I'm having the same problem as the OP. It started about a week ago. Whenever I try to watch Flash-based video, the download is so slow that the video must keep buffering every few seconds. Speedtest shows normal speeds, there are no unusual errors reflected in the RG and the problem is evident on my Windows and Mac OS machines. I've rebooted the RG and it hasn't helped.

After reading these forums for several months, I finally registered to respond to this post. I'm having the same problem as the OP. It started about a week ago. Whenever I try to watch Flash-based video, the download is so slow that the video must keep buffering every few seconds. Speedtest shows normal speeds, there are no unusual errors reflected in the RG and the problem is evident on my Windows and Mac OS machines. I've rebooted the RG and it hasn't helped.

4 of 26 (867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 1:01:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Upgrade or reinstall your Adobe flash player

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

Upgrade or reinstall your Adobe flash player

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!

5 of 26 (850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 1:17:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Already tried that.
Already tried that.

6 of 26 (839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 1:21:38 PM
(0)
Mentor

What version of the flash player are you running? Try this download from Ninite, it's a quick downloader of the typically runtimes and frameworks you'd need. If you're still having problems after it, let us know.

http://ninite.com/dotnet-flash-flashie-java-silverlight/

What version of the flash player are you running? Try this download from Ninite, it's a quick downloader of the typically runtimes and frameworks you'd need. If you're still having problems after it, let us know.

http://ninite.com/dotnet-flash-flashie-java-silverlight/

7 of 26 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 2:31:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Same issue here. There is a 28 page thread in this forum about the exact same thing.  Streaming content buffers for an unacceptable amount of time, then plays for a few seconds, rinse and repeat.  All speed test results are normal, no packet loss, etc. 

It has nothing to do with Adobe, there is something wrong on AT&T's end, but they don't seem too keen on addressing it.  It is no coincedence that so many people  with Uverse across the country are experiencing the exact same thing. 

I can take my lap top to a friends house two blocks away and experience no issues on his Charter Cable connection.  Another friend that lives even closer has AT&T DSL with one third of the bandwidth, I experience no issues streaming content from my lap top on his network either.

I can even stream content over the weak McDonald's WiFi signal that I get in my front yard with no issues.  Though, as soon as I attempt to stream content on my Uverse connection, the relentless buffering starts again.

AT&T seems like they want to lose customers.  First they make it impossible to stream content, then they plan on placing bandwidth caps on top of that.  Why would anyone want Uverse?  Surely not for the extra bandwidth, as you are unable to use it; and certainly not the price.

Same issue here. There is a 28 page thread in this forum about the exact same thing.  Streaming content buffers for an unacceptable amount of time, then plays for a few seconds, rinse and repeat.  All speed test results are normal, no packet loss, etc. 

It has nothing to do with Adobe, there is something wrong on AT&T's end, but they don't seem too keen on addressing it.  It is no coincedence that so many people  with Uverse across the country are experiencing the exact same thing. 

I can take my lap top to a friends house two blocks away and experience no issues on his Charter Cable connection.  Another friend that lives even closer has AT&T DSL with one third of the bandwidth, I experience no issues streaming content from my lap top on his network either.

I can even stream content over the weak McDonald's WiFi signal that I get in my front yard with no issues.  Though, as soon as I attempt to stream content on my Uverse connection, the relentless buffering starts again.

AT&T seems like they want to lose customers.  First they make it impossible to stream content, then they plan on placing bandwidth caps on top of that.  Why would anyone want Uverse?  Surely not for the extra bandwidth, as you are unable to use it; and certainly not the price.

8 of 26 (811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 2:45:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm using the latest version of Flash for Windows: 10.2.152.32. I'm not on my Mac at the moment, but it's running the latest version as well. Java is also up to date. I've tried competely uninstalling and reinstalling Flash, but the problem persists. YouTube videos are much less prone to buffering pauses, but sites such as CNN and the NY Times have severe problems. This began about a week ago. I've experimented with different domain name servers, but it makes no difference.

I'm using the latest version of Flash for Windows: 10.2.152.32. I'm not on my Mac at the moment, but it's running the latest version as well. Java is also up to date. I've tried competely uninstalling and reinstalling Flash, but the problem persists. YouTube videos are much less prone to buffering pauses, but sites such as CNN and the NY Times have severe problems. This began about a week ago. I've experimented with different domain name servers, but it makes no difference.

Re: Why is AT&T blocking CNN and local TV video's?[

9 of 26 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 5:31:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Something's definitely wrong on your end, a browser add-on, etc.  I just went to CNN and clicked on one of the earthquake videos.  It started immediately when the flash box came w/NO buffering and played all the way thru w/12M internet here. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Something's definitely wrong on your end, a browser add-on, etc.  I just went to CNN and clicked on one of the earthquake videos.  It started immediately when the flash box came w/NO buffering and played all the way thru w/12M internet here. Smiley Wink

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

10 of 26 (768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 6:15:37 PM
(0)
Scholar

S0DA wrote:

AT&T provides the WiFi service at McDonald's.  Ever think the issue is with CNN?  There are such things as server farms and load balancers.

S0DA wrote:

AT&T provides the WiFi service at McDonald's.  Ever think the issue is with CNN?  There are such things as server farms and load balancers.

11 of 26 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 6:19:17 PM
(0)
Mentor

Don't want to stray to far OT, but is your machine up to snuff? I just watched some flash based videos from CNN, Fox, YouTube and Netflix, and had absolutely 0 problems. No slow downs, no freezing.

For reference I'm on a Core i7 and wayy to much RAM coupled with an Nvidia card... no one ever seems to mention that they are on a 1ghz Celeron with 128MB RAM... lol.

Don't want to stray to far OT, but is your machine up to snuff? I just watched some flash based videos from CNN, Fox, YouTube and Netflix, and had absolutely 0 problems. No slow downs, no freezing.

For reference I'm on a Core i7 and wayy to much RAM coupled with an Nvidia card... no one ever seems to mention that they are on a 1ghz Celeron with 128MB RAM... lol.

12 of 26 (665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 7:07:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

I've tried it with Firefox and IE 9, and the result is the same. I just tried streaming video from gamespot.com, and it was completely unwatchable. I haven't changed anything on my system, and streaming video used to work fine on all sites about a week ago.

To the person who asked about the horsepower of the systems exhibiting the problem, I don't know if you were referring to me, but I've got a desktop with a quad core i7 processor, 6 GB of RAM and a graphics card with 1 GB of VRAM. I'd be happy if the problem were on my end, because then I could fix it. But I'm stumped.

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

I've tried it with Firefox and IE 9, and the result is the same. I just tried streaming video from gamespot.com, and it was completely unwatchable. I haven't changed anything on my system, and streaming video used to work fine on all sites about a week ago.

To the person who asked about the horsepower of the systems exhibiting the problem, I don't know if you were referring to me, but I've got a desktop with a quad core i7 processor, 6 GB of RAM and a graphics card with 1 GB of VRAM. I'd be happy if the problem were on my end, because then I could fix it. But I'm stumped.

13 of 26 (652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 7:35:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Can you get any video from the web to play?   Possibly some upgrade occured about the time they stopped playing?

Here I have an MVPS.org Hosts file that blocks a whole lot of things, many times I have to disable it for videos to play.  Didn't have to do this on the CNN video though. Smiley Wink

Chris

Can you get any video from the web to play?   Possibly some upgrade occured about the time they stopped playing?

Here I have an MVPS.org Hosts file that blocks a whole lot of things, many times I have to disable it for videos to play.  Didn't have to do this on the CNN video though. Smiley Wink

Chris

14 of 26 (642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 7:44:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

YouTube videos seem to play OK. I watched a video from Netflix via an Xbox a few days ago, and that was fine. (I probably shouldn't have said that. I may have jinxed myself.) Smiley Surprised

I can't think of any upgrades I did. The problem also occurs on my Mac.

YouTube videos seem to play OK. I watched a video from Netflix via an Xbox a few days ago, and that was fine. (I probably shouldn't have said that. I may have jinxed myself.) Smiley Surprised

I can't think of any upgrades I did. The problem also occurs on my Mac.

15 of 26 (633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 8:22:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

There is nothing wrong with my system. I make my living as a network engineer and can smell a problem in the cloud here, and nothing ticks me off more than when I have to diagnose and fix other people’s problems. Two neighbors of mine are having the same problems with UVerse. It started about 5 weeks ago for all of us.

Last week I called the general tech support. I had to play the touch tone rendition of Jingle Bells to get a human instead of that wasteful of time automated system “reboot this, try that…”. That was nothing but a waste of time trying to explain the problem is not my system, do not send a tech here.

I ran some traceroute’s to one of my office systems. Results pasted below. The first is from a server of mine in Poughkeepsie, NY connected to Hudson Valley Datanet, the second from a server in Waterbury, CT on Comcast. Both are OK. The third is a server in Waterbury, CT on AT&T DSL. It sucks in comparison but still not all that bad. The forth is from my home network. Pathetic results. I believe there are AT&T representatives here. There is a serious problem here that needs fixing, do something about it or I’ll go back to Comcast.

Poughkeepsie server, Hudson Valley Datanet

1  10.42.43.254  0.296 ms   0.259 ms   0.481 ms

2  bsd-gateway.mentalfloss.bsdwebsolutions.com (64.72.69.17)  0.757 ms   0.744 ms   0.821 ms

3  bsd-hvdn.customer.hvdata.net (64.72.65.5)  1.140 ms   0.986 ms   2.106 ms

4  pghknyshj42-ae0-66.lightower.net (72.22.160.159)  0.868 ms   5.494 ms   5.374 ms

5  nycmnyzrj42-xe-0-3-0.lightower.net (72.22.160.151)  6.061 ms   4.116 ms   3.079 ms

6  67.17.196.133  3.506 ms   3.545 ms   3.482 ms

7  fibertech.gigabitethernet7-14.asr1.jfk1.gblx.net (67.17.199.130)  20.169 ms   18.982 ms   18.830 ms

8  97.107.166.250  12.086 ms   11.017 ms   9.366 ms

9  208.49.46.2  8.040 ms   9.124 ms   7.284 ms

10  * * *

Waterbury server, Comcast

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  10.42.55.254

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.

3     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  te-9-4-ur01.waterbury.ct.hartford.comcast.net [6

8.85.143.189]

4    13 ms     9 ms     9 ms  be-60-ar01.berlin.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68.85

.69.33]

5    16 ms    12 ms    15 ms  -1-8-0-0-ar01.woburn.ma.boston.comcast.net [6

8.87.144.162]

6    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  -0-1-0-0-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net [

68.85.162.145]

7    21 ms    19 ms    20 ms  -2-2-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [6

8.86.93.185]

8    25 ms    21 ms    22 ms  TenGigabitEthernet4-4.ar4.NYC1.gblx.net [64.215.

24.85]

9    23 ms    24 ms    22 ms  fibertech.gigabitethernet7-14.asr1.jfk1.gblx.net

[67.17.199.130]

10    25 ms    26 ms    26 ms  97.107.166.250

11    24 ms    23 ms    23 ms  208.49.46.2

Waterbury server, AT&T DSL

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1

2    46 ms    46 ms    46 ms  bras2-l0.mrdnct.snet.net [204.60.4.35]

3    45 ms    44 ms    44 ms  dist1-vlan50.mrdnct.sbcglobal.net [66.159.184.19

4]

4    43 ms    44 ms    44 ms  bb1-10g2-0.mrdnct.sbcglobal.net [151.164.92.147]

5    49 ms    50 ms    50 ms  ppp-151-164-55-245.eulstx.swbell.net [151.164.55

.245]

6    58 ms    53 ms    51 ms  asn3549-glbx.eqnwnj.sbcglobal.net [151.164.89.82

]

7    56 ms    60 ms    57 ms  fibertech.gigabitethernet7-14.asr1.jfk1.gblx.net

[67.17.199.130]

8    61 ms    64 ms    60 ms  97.107.166.250

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10    58 ms    56 ms    55 ms  kaseya.netsynergy.com [205.246.18.222]

12    24 ms    25 ms    25 ms  kaseya.netsynergy.com [205.246.18.222]

Bethel, CT UVerse

1     2 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  home [10.42.69.254]

2    22 ms    23 ms    21 ms  99-57-236-2.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net [99.

57.236.2]

3    24 ms    22 ms    22 ms  75.12.207.138

4    27 ms    23 ms    22 ms  75.12.192.12

5    23 ms    22 ms    23 ms  75.12.192.4

6    23 ms    21 ms    21 ms  12.83.32.5

7    26 ms    24 ms    24 ms  151-164-100-61.lgtpmi.sbcglobal.net [151.164.100

.61]

8   108 ms   111 ms   108 ms  asn3549-glbx.eqnwnj.sbcglobal.net [151.164.89.82

]

9   115 ms   111 ms     *     fibertech.gigabitethernet7-14.asr1.jfk1.gblx.net

[67.17.199.130]

10   111 ms   115 ms   112 ms  97.107.166.250

11   114 ms   115 ms   121 ms  208.49.46.2

12   117 ms   111 ms   117 ms  kaseya.netsynergy.com [205.246.18.222]

There is nothing wrong with my system. I make my living as a network engineer and can smell a problem in the cloud here, and nothing ticks me off more than when I have to diagnose and fix other people’s problems. Two neighbors of mine are having the same problems with UVerse. It started about 5 weeks ago for all of us.

Last week I called the general tech support. I had to play the touch tone rendition of Jingle Bells to get a human instead of that wasteful of time automated system “reboot this, try that…”. That was nothing but a waste of time trying to explain the problem is not my system, do not send a tech here.

I ran some traceroute’s to one of my office systems. Results pasted below. The first is from a server of mine in Poughkeepsie, NY connected to Hudson Valley Datanet, the second from a server in Waterbury, CT on Comcast. Both are OK. The third is a server in Waterbury, CT on AT&T DSL. It sucks in comparison but still not all that bad. The forth is from my home network. Pathetic results. I believe there are AT&T representatives here. There is a serious problem here that needs fixing, do something about it or I’ll go back to Comcast.

Poughkeepsie server, Hudson Valley Datanet

1  10.42.43.254  0.296 ms   0.259 ms   0.481 ms

2  bsd-gateway.mentalfloss.bsdwebsolutions.com (64.72.69.17)  0.757 ms   0.744 ms   0.821 ms

3  bsd-hvdn.customer.hvdata.net (64.72.65.5)  1.140 ms   0.986 ms   2.106 ms

4  pghknyshj42-ae0-66.lightower.net (72.22.160.159)  0.868 ms   5.494 ms   5.374 ms

5  nycmnyzrj42-xe-0-3-0.lightower.net (72.22.160.151)  6.061 ms   4.116 ms   3.079 ms

6  67.17.196.133  3.506 ms   3.545 ms   3.482 ms

7  fibertech.gigabitethernet7-14.asr1.jfk1.gblx.net (67.17.199.130)  20.169 ms   18.982 ms   18.830 ms

8  97.107.166.250  12.086 ms   11.017 ms   9.366 ms

9  208.49.46.2  8.040 ms   9.124 ms   7.284 ms

10  * * *

Waterbury server, Comcast

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  10.42.55.254

2     *        *        *     Request timed out.

3     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  te-9-4-ur01.waterbury.ct.hartford.comcast.net [6

8.85.143.189]

4    13 ms     9 ms     9 ms  be-60-ar01.berlin.ct.hartford.comcast.net [68.85

.69.33]

5    16 ms    12 ms    15 ms  -1-8-0-0-ar01.woburn.ma.boston.comcast.net [6

8.87.144.162]

6    13 ms    13 ms    13 ms  -0-1-0-0-ar01.needham.ma.boston.comcast.net [

68.85.162.145]

7    21 ms    19 ms    20 ms  -2-2-0-0-cr01.newyork.ny.ibone.comcast.net [6

8.86.93.185]

8    25 ms    21 ms    22 ms  TenGigabitEthernet4-4.ar4.NYC1.gblx.net [64.215.

24.85]

9    23 ms    24 ms    22 ms  fibertech.gigabitethernet7-14.asr1.jfk1.gblx.net

[67.17.199.130]

10    25 ms    26 ms    26 ms  97.107.166.250

11    24 ms    23 ms    23 ms  208.49.46.2

Waterbury server, AT&T DSL

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1

2    46 ms    46 ms    46 ms  bras2-l0.mrdnct.snet.net [204.60.4.35]

3    45 ms    44 ms    44 ms  dist1-vlan50.mrdnct.sbcglobal.net [66.159.184.19

4]

4    43 ms    44 ms    44 ms  bb1-10g2-0.mrdnct.sbcglobal.net [151.164.92.147]

5    49 ms    50 ms    50 ms  ppp-151-164-55-245.eulstx.swbell.net [151.164.55

.245]

6    58 ms    53 ms    51 ms  asn3549-glbx.eqnwnj.sbcglobal.net [151.164.89.82

]

7    56 ms    60 ms    57 ms  fibertech.gigabitethernet7-14.asr1.jfk1.gblx.net

[67.17.199.130]

8    61 ms    64 ms    60 ms  97.107.166.250

9     *        *        *     Request timed out.

10    58 ms    56 ms    55 ms  kaseya.netsynergy.com [205.246.18.222]

12    24 ms    25 ms    25 ms  kaseya.netsynergy.com [205.246.18.222]

Bethel, CT UVerse

1     2 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  home [10.42.69.254]

2    22 ms    23 ms    21 ms  99-57-236-2.lightspeed.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net [99.

57.236.2]

3    24 ms    22 ms    22 ms  75.12.207.138

4    27 ms    23 ms    22 ms  75.12.192.12

5    23 ms    22 ms    23 ms  75.12.192.4

6    23 ms    21 ms    21 ms  12.83.32.5

7    26 ms    24 ms    24 ms  151-164-100-61.lgtpmi.sbcglobal.net [151.164.100

.61]

8   108 ms   111 ms   108 ms  asn3549-glbx.eqnwnj.sbcglobal.net [151.164.89.82

]

9   115 ms   111 ms     *     fibertech.gigabitethernet7-14.asr1.jfk1.gblx.net

[67.17.199.130]

10   111 ms   115 ms   112 ms  97.107.166.250

11   114 ms   115 ms   121 ms  208.49.46.2

12   117 ms   111 ms   117 ms  kaseya.netsynergy.com [205.246.18.222]

16 of 26 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2011 8:36:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I'd contact David and his tier2 team here:

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

Follow the directions under TROUBLES w/UVerse or install problems and hopefully they will solve your routing problems, good luck. Smiley Wink

Chris

I'd contact David and his tier2 team here:

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

Follow the directions under TROUBLES w/UVerse or install problems and hopefully they will solve your routing problems, good luck. Smiley Wink

Chris

17 of 26 (610 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 12:13:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

I just viewed a Flash video that had been completely unwatchable for the past week. It played perfectly well this morning. CNN video appears to be streaming fine as well. I haven't changed anything on my system. I think this lends support to the belief that the problem is on AT&T's end. Hopefully, they have gotten any routing issues sorted out.

I just viewed a Flash video that had been completely unwatchable for the past week. It played perfectly well this morning. CNN video appears to be streaming fine as well. I haven't changed anything on my system. I think this lends support to the belief that the problem is on AT&T's end. Hopefully, they have gotten any routing issues sorted out.

18 of 26 (567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2011 7:55:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

Try it again tomorrow and odds are it will be a problem again. I can as of a few minutes ago stream CNN video's but ABC News is a fail. Fox News not working either. (Not that I watch unpatriotic terroist inspiring propaganda, for testing only) While inconsistent the problem is more often very apparent everywhere, except for some reason YouTube almost always works fine.

I sent an email to the two fellows mentioned two posts above, if by some miracle I get anywhere I'll post again. But chances are I'm going to have to switch back to Comcast. While it is video's I use for example I work some from home and telecommute but this poor service makes that painfully slow. That and the caps...don't even get me started there...I'm going with an uncapped business account from Comcast and cutting the cord on the TV, everything I watch is available via Usenet, bittorrent or NetFlix anyhow and I have a dedicated PC for the TV.

Try it again tomorrow and odds are it will be a problem again. I can as of a few minutes ago stream CNN video's but ABC News is a fail. Fox News not working either. (Not that I watch unpatriotic terroist inspiring propaganda, for testing only) While inconsistent the problem is more often very apparent everywhere, except for some reason YouTube almost always works fine.

I sent an email to the two fellows mentioned two posts above, if by some miracle I get anywhere I'll post again. But chances are I'm going to have to switch back to Comcast. While it is video's I use for example I work some from home and telecommute but this poor service makes that painfully slow. That and the caps...don't even get me started there...I'm going with an uncapped business account from Comcast and cutting the cord on the TV, everything I watch is available via Usenet, bittorrent or NetFlix anyhow and I have a dedicated PC for the TV.

19 of 26 (537 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 12:31:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

lanbrown wrote:

S0DA wrote:

McDonald's DOESN'T use Uverse.  Ever think that CNN is only one MANY content streaming sites that is affected?  This has nothing to do with AT&T in general, it has everything to do with their Uverse service.  As I mentioned in my previous post which you subsequently ignored, I had no issues on AT&T ADSL either.

Please, if you have no input regarding this situation, don't feign like you do.

lanbrown wrote:

S0DA wrote:

McDonald's DOESN'T use Uverse.  Ever think that CNN is only one MANY content streaming sites that is affected?  This has nothing to do with AT&T in general, it has everything to do with their Uverse service.  As I mentioned in my previous post which you subsequently ignored, I had no issues on AT&T ADSL either.

Please, if you have no input regarding this situation, don't feign like you do.

20 of 26 (504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 12:35:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mentalfloss wrote:

This is key.  YouTube always works fine.  The issues are always with streaming content from any other provider.

Mentalfloss wrote:

This is key.  YouTube always works fine.  The issues are always with streaming content from any other provider.

21 of 26 (572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 4:50:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

I can't help but be cynical, as any AT&T rep in this forum has remained silent, that this is all intentional. Degrade Netflix, news content providers, anything that cuts in to AT&T's TV ad revenue. Back it up with usage caps for those of us that bring in most of our TV shows via NNTP and Bittorrent. That appears to be AT&T's plan.

I can't help but be cynical, as any AT&T rep in this forum has remained silent, that this is all intentional. Degrade Netflix, news content providers, anything that cuts in to AT&T's TV ad revenue. Back it up with usage caps for those of us that bring in most of our TV shows via NNTP and Bittorrent. That appears to be AT&T's plan.

22 of 26 (548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 6:54:42 AM
(0)
Employee

Mentalfloss wrote:

It's actually a very simple explanation: U-verse products (TV, Voice) travel through the system in a tunnel, with enforced Quality of Service. All of the others you mention are in from the Internet, where no such guarantee for Quality of Service exists (and no possibility of QOS exists).

Untuned Bitorrent is a challenge to any system, generally at the gatway device (SOHO router or in U-verse' case, the RG). People that leave the BT client wide open screw themselves; AT&T has nothing to do with it. With proper tuning, you get more throughput with less overall effect on the system as a whole.

Mentalfloss wrote:

It's actually a very simple explanation: U-verse products (TV, Voice) travel through the system in a tunnel, with enforced Quality of Service. All of the others you mention are in from the Internet, where no such guarantee for Quality of Service exists (and no possibility of QOS exists).

Untuned Bitorrent is a challenge to any system, generally at the gatway device (SOHO router or in U-verse' case, the RG). People that leave the BT client wide open screw themselves; AT&T has nothing to do with it. With proper tuning, you get more throughput with less overall effect on the system as a whole.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

23 of 26 (538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 11:45:16 AM
(0)
Mentor

ScottMac

I think we have some incorrect info on the subject.

Uverse TV, VoiP is only QoS from customer prem to the CO, once it hits the CO the services are split onto an entire different subnet & network physically. So QoS and the internet are only in play for about the last mile run which AT&T has more than enough bandwidth on anyway.

That is why people do not see issues with TV/VoIP yet can have problems doing a stream, its because they don't run on the same network.

I still think AT&T has some bad routes and bad configs on its routers (not local customer routers but main ones) in regards to traffic shapes and other things which cause these problems.... The routers do still do SOME QoS but not in regards to TV or VoIP as they are not on same network even.

In a netshell AT&T TV and VoIP should always be decent as its on a different network with butt loads of bandwidth all to itself and only last mile share the same network/wires.

ScottMac

Uverse TV, VoiP is only QoS from customer prem to the CO, once it hits the CO the services are split onto an entire different subnet & network physically. So QoS and the internet are only in play for about the last mile run which AT&T has more than enough bandwidth on anyway.

That is why people do not see issues with TV/VoIP yet can have problems doing a stream, its because they don't run on the same network.

I still think AT&T has some bad routes and bad configs on its routers (not local customer routers but main ones) in regards to traffic shapes and other things which cause these problems.... The routers do still do SOME QoS but not in regards to TV or VoIP as they are not on same network even.

In a netshell AT&T TV and VoIP should always be decent as its on a different network with butt loads of bandwidth all to itself and only last mile share the same network/wires.

24 of 26 (506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 1:40:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Mentalfloss wrote:

Of course AT&T reps are going to remain silent - this is a peer to peer (customer to customer) forum.  I'm sure that you already knew that, right?  1-800-288-2020, Facebook, David' s team, the Social Media team and so on are official support avenues.

Are they degrading Netflix?  Can you prove this?  There is one thread that indicates that they may be but others are streaming away.  Just sayin.'

Mentalfloss wrote:

Of course AT&T reps are going to remain silent - this is a peer to peer (customer to customer) forum.  I'm sure that you already knew that, right?  1-800-288-2020, Facebook, David' s team, the Social Media team and so on are official support avenues.

Are they degrading Netflix?  Can you prove this?  There is one thread that indicates that they may be but others are streaming away.  Just sayin.'

25 of 26 (489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 4:04:48 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by ScottMac on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:07:15 PM

Big-B wrote:

ScottMac

U-Verse voice is operating under QOS until it is handed off to the PSTN (Public Switched Telehone Network), which is usually at the CO.
U-verse TV is operating under QOS for it's entire life. The video is received from the source (as ASI or SDI, I don't remember), encoded, is passed through several server platforms that handle things like DRM, conditional acccess, and the "trick loop" (for instant channel change and quick forward/back), and leaves the final server re-encoded and sent through the network via CO/IO, VRAD, RG (or iNID) to the STB ... with QOS the whole way. U-Verse TV never sees the Internet, and the Internet never sees QOS, regardless of the application.
The various streams are operating as "tunnels;" one tunnel (IPTV, Voice) supports QOS, the other tunnel (the Internet) does not.

Big-B wrote:

ScottMac

U-Verse voice is operating under QOS until it is handed off to the PSTN (Public Switched Telehone Network), which is usually at the CO.
U-verse TV is operating under QOS for it's entire life. The video is received from the source (as ASI or SDI, I don't remember), encoded, is passed through several server platforms that handle things like DRM, conditional acccess, and the "trick loop" (for instant channel change and quick forward/back), and leaves the final server re-encoded and sent through the network via CO/IO, VRAD, RG (or iNID) to the STB ... with QOS the whole way. U-Verse TV never sees the Internet, and the Internet never sees QOS, regardless of the application.
The various streams are operating as "tunnels;" one tunnel (IPTV, Voice) supports QOS, the other tunnel (the Internet) does not.
Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
26 of 26 (472 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments