Why is AT&T blocking CNN and local TV video's?

Teacher

Why is AT&T blocking CNN and local TV video's?

[ Edited ]

I have to start then pause a 3 minute video for 5-8 minutes to buffer the stream. Why does it take up to ten minutes to download a 3 minute news video? Speed tests from here run fine. If I establish a VPN tunnel to a non-AT&T network and route all of my traffic over it, all of the same news sites stream in video at full speed. CNN, WTHN, WFSB, etc.

Why is AT&T intentionally disrupting other content providers? 

And you want to cap this {Keep it Appropriate} service?

Message 1 of 26 (1,347 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Why is AT&T blocking CNN and local TV video's?

[ Edited ]

Not sure what was going on when you posted this but I just watched a 2:45 video on CNN that downloaded in a matter of seconds.  There was a bit of buffering but nothing out of the ordinary.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 26 (1,287 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mentalfloss wrote:

I have to start then pause a 3 minute video for 5-8 minutes to buffer the stream. Why does it take up to ten minutes to download a 3 minute news video? Speed tests from here run fine. If I establish a VPN tunnel to a non-AT&T network and route all of my traffic over it, all of the same news sites stream in video at full speed. CNN, WTHN, WFSB, etc.

Why is AT&T intentionally disrupting other content providers? 

And you want to cap this {Keep it Appropriate} service?

No issues here.  Must be something with your connection.  AT&T is not blocking any sites.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 3 of 26 (1,269 Views)
Mentor

After reading these forums for several months, I finally registered to respond to this post. I'm having the same problem as the OP. It started about a week ago. Whenever I try to watch Flash-based video, the download is so slow that the video must keep buffering every few seconds. Speedtest shows normal speeds, there are no unusual errors reflected in the RG and the problem is evident on my Windows and Mac OS machines. I've rebooted the RG and it hasn't helped.

Message 4 of 26 (1,190 Views)
Guru

Upgrade or reinstall your Adobe flash player

Im not Smart! The Voices in my Head are!!
Message 5 of 26 (1,173 Views)
Mentor

Already tried that.
Message 6 of 26 (1,162 Views)
Mentor

What version of the flash player are you running? Try this download from Ninite, it's a quick downloader of the typically runtimes and frameworks you'd need. If you're still having problems after it, let us know.

http://ninite.com/dotnet-flash-flashie-java-silverlight/

Message 7 of 26 (1,156 Views)
Teacher

Same issue here. There is a 28 page thread in this forum about the exact same thing.  Streaming content buffers for an unacceptable amount of time, then plays for a few seconds, rinse and repeat.  All speed test results are normal, no packet loss, etc. 

It has nothing to do with Adobe, there is something wrong on AT&T's end, but they don't seem too keen on addressing it.  It is no coincedence that so many people  with Uverse across the country are experiencing the exact same thing. 

I can take my lap top to a friends house two blocks away and experience no issues on his Charter Cable connection.  Another friend that lives even closer has AT&T DSL with one third of the bandwidth, I experience no issues streaming content from my lap top on his network either.

I can even stream content over the weak McDonald's WiFi signal that I get in my front yard with no issues.  Though, as soon as I attempt to stream content on my Uverse connection, the relentless buffering starts again.

AT&T seems like they want to lose customers.  First they make it impossible to stream content, then they plan on placing bandwidth caps on top of that.  Why would anyone want Uverse?  Surely not for the extra bandwidth, as you are unable to use it; and certainly not the price.

Message 8 of 26 (1,134 Views)
Mentor

Re: Why is AT&T blocking CNN and local TV video's?[

I'm using the latest version of Flash for Windows: 10.2.152.32. I'm not on my Mac at the moment, but it's running the latest version as well. Java is also up to date. I've tried competely uninstalling and reinstalling Flash, but the problem persists. YouTube videos are much less prone to buffering pauses, but sites such as CNN and the NY Times have severe problems. This began about a week ago. I've experimented with different domain name servers, but it makes no difference.

Message 9 of 26 (1,126 Views)
ACE - Expert

Something's definitely wrong on your end, a browser add-on, etc.  I just went to CNN and clicked on one of the earthquake videos.  It started immediately when the flash box came w/NO buffering and played all the way thru w/12M internet here. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 26 (1,091 Views)
Scholar

S0DA wrote:

Same issue here. There is a 28 page thread in this forum about the exact same thing.  Streaming content buffers for an unacceptable amount of time, then plays for a few seconds, rinse and repeat.  All speed test results are normal, no packet loss, etc.

It has nothing to do with Adobe, there is something wrong on AT&T's end, but they don't seem too keen on addressing it.  It is no coincedence that so many people  with Uverse across the country are experiencing the exact same thing.

I can take my lap top to a friends house two blocks away and experience no issues on his Charter Cable connection.  Another friend that lives even closer has AT&T DSL with one third of the bandwidth, I experience no issues streaming content from my lap top on his network either.

I can even stream content over the weak McDonald's WiFi signal that I get in my front yard with no issues.  Though, as soon as I attempt to stream content on my Uverse connection, the relentless buffering starts again.

AT&T seems like they want to lose customers.  First they make it impossible to stream content, then they plan on placing bandwidth caps on top of that.  Why would anyone want Uverse?  Surely not for the extra bandwidth, as you are unable to use it; and certainly not the price.

AT&T provides the WiFi service at McDonald's.  Ever think the issue is with CNN?  There are such things as server farms and load balancers.

Message 11 of 26 (994 Views)
Mentor

Don't want to stray to far OT, but is your machine up to snuff? I just watched some flash based videos from CNN, Fox, YouTube and Netflix, and had absolutely 0 problems. No slow downs, no freezing.

For reference I'm on a Core i7 and wayy to much RAM coupled with an Nvidia card... no one ever seems to mention that they are on a 1ghz Celeron with 128MB RAM... lol.

Message 12 of 26 (988 Views)
Mentor

mibrnsurg wrote:

Something's definitely wrong on your end, a browser add-on, etc.  I just went to CNN and clicked on one of the earthquake videos.  It started immediately when the flash box came w/NO buffering and played all the way thru w/12M internet here. Smiley Wink

Chris

I've tried it with Firefox and IE 9, and the result is the same. I just tried streaming video from gamespot.com, and it was completely unwatchable. I haven't changed anything on my system, and streaming video used to work fine on all sites about a week ago.

To the person who asked about the horsepower of the systems exhibiting the problem, I don't know if you were referring to me, but I've got a desktop with a quad core i7 processor, 6 GB of RAM and a graphics card with 1 GB of VRAM. I'd be happy if the problem were on my end, because then I could fix it. But I'm stumped.

Message 13 of 26 (975 Views)
ACE - Expert

Can you get any video from the web to play?   Possibly some upgrade occured about the time they stopped playing?

Here I have an MVPS.org Hosts file that blocks a whole lot of things, many times I have to disable it for videos to play.  Didn't have to do this on the CNN video though. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 14 of 26 (965 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

YouTube videos seem to play OK. I watched a video from Netflix via an Xbox a few days ago, and that was fine. (I probably shouldn't have said that. I may have jinxed myself.) Smiley Surprised

I can't think of any upgrades I did. The problem also occurs on my Mac.

Message 15 of 26 (956 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.