Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 23, 2010
5:44:53 PM
View profile
Why do my shows always get erased?

This has happened to me about 3 or 4 times now, my shows always seem to get erased whenever the DVR gets reset.  Why is that?  Today I got home and when I turned on the TV I got the ATT Orange screen and all my shows are gone.  If it is so simple to erase shows and not be able to get them back, what is the point of even having a DVR?!

This has happened to me about 3 or 4 times now, my shows always seem to get erased whenever the DVR gets reset.  Why is that?  Today I got home and when I turned on the TV I got the ATT Orange screen and all my shows are gone.  If it is so simple to erase shows and not be able to get them back, what is the point of even having a DVR?!

Why do my shows always get erased?

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 5:51:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It is possible that your dvr is in the early stages of failure.  Call ts and request a new one, because you should not be losing recordings because your dvr resets.  800.983-2811  Let us know what happens.

It is possible that your dvr is in the early stages of failure.  Call ts and request a new one, because you should not be losing recordings because your dvr resets.  800.983-2811  Let us know what happens.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Why do my shows always get erased?

2 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 10:06:25 AM
(0)
Employee

There are a couple different way to "reset" the DVR, at least one will clear the hard drive.

Pushing and holding the power button for ~ five seconds will reset the box, and leave (should leave) everything intact.

Power cycling the box (unplug it, wait ~15 seconds, plug it back in) should not cause any loss of stored programming.

Doing the "Disaster Recovery" button sequence will (should) erase the hard drive, it also causes a complete reload of all the code and firmware ... which can take upwards of 20 minutes or more in some cases.

If your hard drive is approaching capacity, anything not set to "Keep until I erase" will disapear in order of age, oldest first. An indication that you are nearing this level is that an exclamation point (" ! ") appears next to the program name in the recorded programs lst.

There are a couple different way to "reset" the DVR, at least one will clear the hard drive.

Pushing and holding the power button for ~ five seconds will reset the box, and leave (should leave) everything intact.

Power cycling the box (unplug it, wait ~15 seconds, plug it back in) should not cause any loss of stored programming.

Doing the "Disaster Recovery" button sequence will (should) erase the hard drive, it also causes a complete reload of all the code and firmware ... which can take upwards of 20 minutes or more in some cases.

If your hard drive is approaching capacity, anything not set to "Keep until I erase" will disapear in order of age, oldest first. An indication that you are nearing this level is that an exclamation point (" ! ") appears next to the program name in the recorded programs lst.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 6:16:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

ScottMac wrote:

Isn't there also a maximum number of recordings the TH DVR can store, regardless of available disk space?

A Crystal Ball once said it was about 200 max :smileyhappy:

Unlikely to occur if one is recording all HD movies, but possible is one is recording many short SD recordings?

ScottMac wrote:

Isn't there also a maximum number of recordings the TH DVR can store, regardless of available disk space?

Unlikely to occur if one is recording all HD movies, but possible is one is recording many short SD recordings?

4 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 6:30:40 AM
(0)
Employee

Personally, I've never come close to having 200 recordings, so I can't say that I've ever seen that. I've run out of space and seen the exclamation point (and subsequent disappearing recordings), but never lost anything from hitting a specific count.

I'll ask around and see if I can find anything.

Personally, I've never come close to having 200 recordings, so I can't say that I've ever seen that. I've run out of space and seen the exclamation point (and subsequent disappearing recordings), but never lost anything from hitting a specific count.

I'll ask around and see if I can find anything.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 7:33:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've rebooted my DVR several  times since I got the service in February. I hold the power button for a few seconds. I've never lost anything.

I've rebooted my DVR several  times since I got the service in February. I hold the power button for a few seconds. I've never lost anything.

6 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 2:29:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

kokopelli wrote:

Doing a soft reboot, which is what you did will not cause you to lose your recordings.  That is if your dvr isn't beginning to fail.  The only reboot that will eliminate your recordings is a disaster recovery reboot.  Which is pressing and holding the power button, the ok button, and the down cursor button all at the same time until the lights blink on your dvr.

And some have posted that doing a DR didn't erase their recordings.  YRMV

kokopelli wrote:

Doing a soft reboot, which is what you did will not cause you to lose your recordings.  That is if your dvr isn't beginning to fail.  The only reboot that will eliminate your recordings is a disaster recovery reboot.  Which is pressing and holding the power button, the ok button, and the down cursor button all at the same time until the lights blink on your dvr.

And some have posted that doing a DR didn't erase their recordings.  YRMV

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 7:32:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

ScottMac wrote:

Personally, I've never come close to having 200 recordings, so I can't say that I've ever seen that. .

Some data:

VIP1225.

203 recordings.

50% disk space remaining.

No exclamation point.

Recordings are getting deleted.

ScottMac wrote:

Personally, I've never come close to having 200 recordings, so I can't say that I've ever seen that. .

Some data:

VIP1225.

203 recordings.

50% disk space remaining.

No exclamation point.

Recordings are getting deleted.

8 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2010 3:43:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Have you called ts and requested a tech be sent out to replace your dvr?

Have you called ts and requested a tech be sent out to replace your dvr?

9 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2010 6:06:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

Nate2 wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

I have heard / seen that same max recording at either 200 or 205. 

I suspect you have a high capacity drive like me.

I've also read that the dvr keeps a 10% capacity hard drive free, so it will delete old recordings to maintain this buffer.  On the standard 250Gb drive would be 25 gigs, but say on a 500Gb drive would be 50Gigs, and on a terabyte drive would be a whopping 100 gigs.  Nothing can be done about this.

I believe I have experienced deleted recordings without the (!) indicator.  I also believe the "Disk space remaining" is also inaccurate with higher capacity drives.  So this might be why the (!) indicators don't seem to show for me.  I believe my drive always listed higher than 25% space remaining, although recordings were being deleted.  I later found out that the drive had approximately 45Gb free space remaining, much less than the ~125Gb if the 25% space remaining was accurate.

Nate2 wrote:

ScottMac wrote:

I have heard / seen that same max recording at either 200 or 205. 

I suspect you have a high capacity drive like me.

I've also read that the dvr keeps a 10% capacity hard drive free, so it will delete old recordings to maintain this buffer.  On the standard 250Gb drive would be 25 gigs, but say on a 500Gb drive would be 50Gigs, and on a terabyte drive would be a whopping 100 gigs.  Nothing can be done about this.

I believe I have experienced deleted recordings without the (!) indicator.  I also believe the "Disk space remaining" is also inaccurate with higher capacity drives.  So this might be why the (!) indicators don't seem to show for me.  I believe my drive always listed higher than 25% space remaining, although recordings were being deleted.  I later found out that the drive had approximately 45Gb free space remaining, much less than the ~125Gb if the 25% space remaining was accurate.

10 of 14 (1,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 6:20:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem, I have had them replace the DVR box 5 times and it still does it :smileysad:  I think its time to go with another company......

I have the same problem, I have had them replace the DVR box 5 times and it still does it :smileysad:  I think its time to go with another company......

11 of 14 (897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 23, 2010 10:21:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

nancygm wrote:

Before you go to another company contact David.  He is a tier 2 tsr, click on the link and contact him.  He or a member of his staff will be in touch with you.   There is something happening that is being overlooked or missed.

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

nancygm wrote:

Before you go to another company contact David.  He is a tier 2 tsr, click on the link and contact him.  He or a member of his staff will be in touch with you.   There is something happening that is being overlooked or missed.

http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

12 of 14 (897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 4:26:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have had the same thing happen to me twice now.  The DVR has the habit of freezing while I am watching shows and I would do the soft reboot when it would do this (holding down the power button for 5 seconds).  At first this worked fine and I could resume watching the shows when it started back up, but then last weekend when I did this and it rebooted all of my shows were deleted.  And no, it was nowhere near full nor was I anywhere near 200 recordings.  I called customer service and they had me do something so the software was reinstalled and said that this should fix the problem.  The DVR froze again today and after waiting 10 minutes for it to recover from the freeze I reluctantly did the soft reboot and when it came back on all of my shows were deleted again! 

On another note, I have only had this DVR  and ATT U-verse for about a month.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution for it?

I have had the same thing happen to me twice now.  The DVR has the habit of freezing while I am watching shows and I would do the soft reboot when it would do this (holding down the power button for 5 seconds).  At first this worked fine and I could resume watching the shows when it started back up, but then last weekend when I did this and it rebooted all of my shows were deleted.  And no, it was nowhere near full nor was I anywhere near 200 recordings.  I called customer service and they had me do something so the software was reinstalled and said that this should fix the problem.  The DVR froze again today and after waiting 10 minutes for it to recover from the freeze I reluctantly did the soft reboot and when it came back on all of my shows were deleted again! 

On another note, I have only had this DVR  and ATT U-verse for about a month.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution for it?

13 of 14 (897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 3:54:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It is possible that your dvr could be in various stages of failure.  You could call cs and request a tech be sent out to check yourdvrs and maybe even replace them.

It is possible that your dvr could be in various stages of failure.  You could call cs and request a tech be sent out to check yourdvrs and maybe even replace them.

14 of 14 (897 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments