Who is screwing with the picture size?

Scholar

Who is screwing with the picture size?

Yesterday morning I noticed the picture no longer was filling my HD screen on HD channel 1011(CBS).  Last night I noticed parts of the banner at the top of my SD screen were chopped off on channel 11 during the preseason football game.  It should have shown the down and yardage to go but I could only see "2 &" instead of "2 & 7".  This morning back on my HD tv I see only an SD size picture on HD channel 1004(FOX), same as HD channel 1011.  Several other HD channels still look fine.

Two different TVs so I don't think the problem is with my TVs or with my STBs.  I can stretch and zoom on my HD tv but even that doesn't fill the screen horizontally completely any more.

As other's have said about other problems THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!

Message 1 of 13 (1,471 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Who is screwing with the picture size?

If your TVs aspect ratios were correct and the DVR/STB zoom (enter button) was on normal, HD and

SD should be displayed according to how the channel distributed it.  Not sure what you mean "no longer

was filling my HD screen on HD channel 1011(CBS)", was it an SD program on the HD channel?  As

you say "Several other HD channels still look fine", would seem the local channels are "screwing

w/the picture". :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 13 (1,471 Views)
Scholar

When you view a SD channel on a widescreen TV then it doesn't fill the screen horizontally.  When you view a HD channel that has always filled the screen horizontally during the same network show and now "no longer is filling my HD screen" then this is what I mean. 

It could be the local channels are the one's screwing it up ok.  I'm in the DFW TX area.  Anyone else seeing this problem?

Message 3 of 13 (1,471 Views)
Scholar

mmullins_98 wrote:

When you view a SD channel on a widescreen TV then it doesn't fill the screen horizontally.  When you view a HD channel that has always filled the screen horizontally during the same network show and now "no longer is filling my HD screen" then this is what I mean. 

It could be the local channels are the one's screwing it up ok.  I'm in the DFW TX area.  Anyone else seeing this problem?

no issues here (bedford, tx)... only issues i have is when they show widescreen commercials in 4:3 format on 16:9 channels(fills like maybe a 1/3 of my HD screen), which sounds like the same issues you have...  I watch 1004 and 1011 religiously... never noticed any issues...

are they any specific times you noticed this?  or just randomly?

Message 4 of 13 (1,471 Views)
ACE - Master

Had an issue here with the local Fox station (KABB-TV) on Wednesday.  On SD channel 29 the picture was surrounded by black bars on all 4 sides.  When I went to the HD channel 1029 the black bars were on all 4 sides and the picture was even smaller in the middle of the screen.  I chalked it up to an issue at the station.  The next day Thursday it was all back to normal so it had to be an issue at the station not at Uverse.

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 13 (1,471 Views)
Scholar

"are they any specific times you noticed this?"

Yes, as mentioned the SD problem on my SD was last night Cowboy's game on channel 11.

The day before(and today) at 7:00am "The Early show" on channel 1011is SD size on my HD tv(in HD mode).

Today at 7:00am "The Good Day show" on channel 1004 is SD size on my HD tv(in HD mode).

I changed nothing before or during these times.

Thanks

Message 6 of 13 (1,471 Views)
Scholar

Perhaps I have a clue into one of the problems.  I just saw the highlights of the Cowboy game that was shown on channel 11 last night.  The highlights were on a different HD channel and on a different TV just now and the exact same parts were cut off from the horizontal.  The rest of the screen horizontally showed the background. This tells me at least the same source this other channel is using has the problem.  Hope this makes sense to someone.
Message 7 of 13 (1,471 Views)
Expert

I'm in Dallas and I am not noticing any issues with how the SD or HD pictures are displayed.
Message 8 of 13 (1,471 Views)
Mentor

You do realize that just because you are on an HD channel local or not...if that show is not broadcast in HD..the bars will show ...and present itself in SD....like your local news broadcast or the preaseason NFL games where most local markets cant afford the HD uplink...
Message 9 of 13 (1,471 Views)
Scholar

"You do realize that just because you are on an HD channel local or not...if that show is not broadcast in HD..the bars will show ...and present itself in SD....like your local news broadcast or the preaseason NFL games where most local markets cant afford the HD uplink..."

Yes, I know that of which you speak.  I agree also it may be a local issue but "The Good Day" local news has been HD for months now and unless there was just a screw up today something was going on that made it SD size on my HD widescreen.

Thanks anyway.

Message 10 of 13 (1,471 Views)
ACE - Expert

Are you getting full HD 16x9 on that same channel anytime of the day?  If so, it is SD when the barn

doors are open, even though that program was HD for months.  Then it is what I first stated the channel

is appearing in the format the station distributed it. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 08-14-2009 03:36 PM
Message 11 of 13 (1,317 Views)
Scholar

"Are you getting full HD 16x9 on that same channel anytime of the day?  If so, it is SD when the barn

doors are open, even though that program was HD for months.  Then it is what I first stated the channel

is appearing in the format the station distributed it. :smileywink:"

Yes, as I previously stated.  I don't dissagee with you but I do find it kind of strange nobody else has observed it or at least nobody has commented so far.  Am I the only one watching Fox News in HD in the morning in the Dallas area?

Message 12 of 13 (1,317 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I'm having a similar issue here (live outside of Chicago), when I first had my service installed (a few weeks ago), the HD channels would always fill the screen (16:9), and the SD channels would stay the same (4:3), which is what I perfered. For a short period of time, all my SD channels would automatically be stretched-out, which I cannot stand. However, I did some recent changing of my network's IP settings, which led to me having to reboot each box individually, and now everything works with the exception of a couple HD channels. For example, my kids watch a lot of Disney and Nickelodeon in HD, and only certain content runs in 16:9, but almost everything on those channels run in 4:3. However, all of my HD movie channels work just fine in 16:9. All SD channels are back to running in 4:3.

I have not messed with the zoom settings on the box, and have not changed my TV's settings either (set to "normal" which displays the image as-is). My TV is hooked up to the DVR via HDMI, and my DVR is set to run at 1080i in widescreen.

Not a huge deal, and certainly not something that makes me want to call customer service about. At this point, I am just waiting it out.

Message Edited by MRMonaco on 08-14-2009 03:01 PM
Message 13 of 13 (1,317 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.