Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 17, 2010
5:40:18 AM
View profile
Which Device Should I Use?

1st off, I am glad to be a happy new U-Verse customer getting between 18-19 Mbps ever since Tuesday. It's awesome!

I have a question that I would like some help on. The install man asked me thi as well, and I didn't know what to do???

Before Uverse, I had ATT DSL running thru a Dlink DIR-655. Which I had an extended antenna and everything was great, except for the speed.

The tech asked me if I wanted to use my D-link or his router. I wanted it at least to be working with his router 1st and see how I like it so I told him his. Would I have been better off going with my D-Link or just staying as I am?

I have not really tested the length of the signal yet. My Dlink was great. I have a computer in my vehicle running off of an Gobi card and that sucker would switch from Verizon to my house about 6 houses before I got there.

Thanks for your help!

1st off, I am glad to be a happy new U-Verse customer getting between 18-19 Mbps ever since Tuesday. It's awesome!

I have a question that I would like some help on. The install man asked me thi as well, and I didn't know what to do???

Before Uverse, I had ATT DSL running thru a Dlink DIR-655. Which I had an extended antenna and everything was great, except for the speed.

The tech asked me if I wanted to use my D-link or his router. I wanted it at least to be working with his router 1st and see how I like it so I told him his. Would I have been better off going with my D-Link or just staying as I am?

I have not really tested the length of the signal yet. My Dlink was great. I have a computer in my vehicle running off of an Gobi card and that sucker would switch from Verizon to my house about 6 houses before I got there.

Thanks for your help!

Which Device Should I Use?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 8:29:37 AM
(0)
Expert

I would recommend using the RG directly, without your D-Link, if you can.  Router-behind-router setups will work, but only with several caveats on U-Verse, and to me it's worth it to avoid those things if you can.

I would recommend using the RG directly, without your D-Link, if you can.  Router-behind-router setups will work, but only with several caveats on U-Verse, and to me it's worth it to avoid those things if you can.

Re: Which Device Should I Use?

2 of 3 (290 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 9:34:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ok that sounds good. I do not know much about this router yet, but I will learn!

I did install the UVRT this morning and everything looks good, I think. I know my speeds are showing close to 18.0 Mbps!

Ok that sounds good. I do not know much about this router yet, but I will learn!

I did install the UVRT this morning and everything looks good, I think. I know my speeds are showing close to 18.0 Mbps!

Re: Which Device Should I Use?

3 of 3 (290 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments