Helpful Links

When the DVR loses power

Professor

When the DVR loses power

I lost power while recording.  Obviously, I lost a bit of the show.

However, is there any reason as to why the show is now listed in two parts (before and after power loss) on the DVR list?  I'm sure a software update could insert a few seconds of "no image available" and resume the recording on the same selection on the DVR menu.

Message 1 of 6
Scholar

Re: When the DVR loses power

From my experience what you see is the expected behavior.  The second listing will simply have the portion of the show from the point it rebooted, forward.

Message 2 of 6
ACE - Master

Been there....done that.

The DVR only sees it a scheduled recording that STARTED and then STOPPED.  And then to redeem itself, it STARTED the recording again.  Hence, two recordings.

I call my DVR Stanley.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Professor

Shyster951 wrote:

From my experience what you see is the expected behavior.  The second listing will simply have the portion of the show from the point it rebooted, forward.

Exactly.  But why can't it continue it as the same show when I press the "Recorded TV" button?

Better yet, it would ideally have a battery backup to the AT&T server.  Even though it wouldn't have power, there would be a backup system in place to continue to record the show.

You know how the U-Verse voice has a battery backup in case of power failure?  Same concept.  You wouldn't be able to turn your TV on, but the battery backup for the DVR would continue to record the show.

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Expert

But when it lost power, it probably closed out that file and couldn't add anything to it, so it just started a new one and continued where it left off. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 6
Expert

What was the reason the dvr lost power?  Mine lost power once while a show was being recorded because the circuit kicked out, and when it regained power then the recording resumed.  If the dvr lost power because it was accidentally unplugged, then a battery backup would be useless because the cable running from the battery backup to the stb was disconnected.  You would get the same result.

Uverse doesn't provide ups for the dvr because if you lose power to your home, dvr will have power but your tv won't.  So you still can't watch it.  It is a far more serious thing for phones to work in the event of a power failure for a variety of reasons.  So those of us who have Uvoice will have power to the rg ( which generates the dial tone ) for us to make calls.  And then that only lasts 4 hours.

If you really want to decrease the chance of your dvr losing power you can go out and buy a heavy duty ups that you can plug your dvr and your tv into.  And then in the event of a power outtage, not only will your recordings continue.  But you will also be able to watch them on that tv.  I'm just sayin.

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support