What is wrong with this equipment...

Mentor

What is wrong with this equipment...

In general,  we have been happy with Uverse.  Unfortunately,  we have a problem with they can not seem to fix.  first of all,  I think the equipment, in general, is marginal at best.  Having the service for about a year now we have had the RG replaced, the DVR replaced and both the the RT replaced.  After all of that,  there is still a problem.  When we try and watch a recorded program via the RT in the bedroom,  it freezes.  It will freeze and then play, freeze and play, absolutely unwatchable.

Had a tech come out a couple of weeks ago.  His solution was to replace the RT upstairs,  claiming that it was sending out a lot of errors and that was causing the problem.  He replaced the RT with a new one (rather than the refurb crap we had been stuck with before).  Well  a couple days later,  the problem returns.  Having another tech come out tomorrow.  I told them I want new units and not refurbs.  With over 10 tech visits in the last year,  I'd have to think that connections are good,  I'm thinking it must be the **bleep** units.

This will be the last straw.  If they can't fix it this time,  it will be time to change service.  We had Dish for 10+ years and never had a problem.  Changed to Uverse for the cost advantage,  but the equipment apparently sucks.

I do give them a lot of credit for Customer Service though.  They have always been quick to react and I've even had techs out here on a Sunday.  They could save a ton of money if they had equipment that was somewhat reliable.

Message 1 of 26 (1,183 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: What is wrong with this equipment...

If you have all these problems you need to have them go over the wiring with a fine tooth comb.

Make sure all the cable ends are replaced and that you have a good splitter.

If they used existing wiring, do you have a splitter or other connector buried in the wall or the attic?

You have to thoroughly check everything to find the problem.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 26 (1,177 Views)
ACE - Expert

Download SomeJoe's Uverse realtime: http://www.uverserealtime.com/  Great deal of info available.

Then post the IP profile and Coax/HPNA tabs, sounds more like a connection problem and not an equipment problem.  Had the same DVR/RG for 2+ years w/no problems. Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 26 (1,177 Views)
Expert

I agree ... the problem isn't the units here, it's your coax wiring.  That's a common problem with some U-Verse installations.

Have a premises tech fix the wiring and the problems will disappear.  Meanwhile, download U-Verse realtime using the link above and post the Coax/HPNA tab and IP/Profile tabs, we'll be able to see if there are other concurrent problems.

Message 4 of 26 (1,177 Views)
Mentor

Thanks for the responses.  I downloaded the Uverse Realtime thing, but I get a Net Framework error message telling me it can't open an adapter.  I choose continue,  but it does not show me anything on the COAX/HPNA tab.  Any ideas?

By the way,  the RT in the bedroom does not work at all now.  Can't even watch regular TV, tells me is is not connected to the network even after a reboot.  Get a client initialization error.  Just gets worse...

Message 5 of 26 (1,177 Views)
Expert

Hookster wrote:

Thanks for the responses.  I downloaded the Uverse Realtime thing, but I get a Net Framework error message telling me it can't open an adapter.  I choose continue,  but it does not show me anything on the COAX/HPNA tab.

What is your networking setup on that computer where you've installed U-Verse Realtime?  Does it have a standard Ethernet card in it, hooked up to your network?  If not, try a different computer.

Message 6 of 26 (1,177 Views)
Mentor

Tried it on a different computer,  but got the same error message.  Here it is...

2317i3F1853491295C675

Message 7 of 26 (1,177 Views)
Expert

I can't see the picture until it's gets approval by the moderator, so as soon as that happens I'll see what's going on.

Message 8 of 26 (1,177 Views)
Mentor

Well,   I think this tech might be a good one.  He is replacing the COAX connection to the RT in the bedroom with CAT5 (something simple in that it is just through a wall).  He was not getting any HPNA reading so he is going to replace the RG with a new version.  Hope this is going to do it.  I think the error I was getting with the Uverse Realtime may have been due to the RG flaking out.  The other TV upstairs (hooked up via COAX) is not working either.

Message 9 of 26 (1,177 Views)
Expert

Let us know how it goes!  Good luck!

Message 10 of 26 (1,177 Views)
Employee

Hookster wrote:

Tried it on a different computer,  but got the same error message.  Here it is...

2317i3F1853491295C675

That's not a hardware problem (or if it is, it's a failed port). That's the dotNet three-point-five Base Class Library (the library of common routines, aka The Framework) reporting that it can't find or can't open the port in the specified mode, requested by the application code (promiscuous mode ... to listen without participating).

It's not a U-Verse problem, it's not a problem with the U-Verse RG or STB. It's programming issue (probably in WinPcap) or a port hardware issue with the device itself. Check the revision of the software you are trying to use.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 26 (1,166 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

That error can appear if the network card you're using does not support promiscuous mode and you are attempting to turn on the "Enable Gathering STB Channels/Streams Data".  Is this a wireless network interface?  WinPCap only supports a few wireless devices.

Try to run U-Verse Realtime without checking this box on the configuration tab, or check the pull-down menu there and make sure there isn't another network interface that you should be selecting instead.

If you can't run the program because it crashes with this error at startup, then delete the following folder:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Local Settings\_UVerseRealtime

Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\_UVerseRealtime

This will reset your preferences to defaults, and the Channels/Streams feature will be turned off by default.

Message 12 of 26 (1,166 Views)
Mentor

It appears that the new RG and wiring the RT via CAT5 instead of coax has fixed that problem.  Only time will tell though as the other "fixes" worked for a while.   Now I seem to have a new problem.  Since the tech has did his thing, my DVR has re-booted itself 4 or 5 times.  Apparently it is impossible to have Uverse and not have some sort of glitch.  The guy had thought about replacing the DVR, but then changed his mind.  I should have demanded it.

Message 13 of 26 (1,166 Views)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

That error can appear if the network card you're using does not support promiscuous mode and you are attempting to turn on the "Enable Gathering STB Channels/Streams Data".  Is this a wireless network interface?  WinPCap only supports a few wireless devices.

Guess that must be it.  All of my connections are via wireless.  A Netgear card in my desktop and not really sure what is in my Notebooks.

Message 14 of 26 (1,166 Views)
Mentor

Unfrigginbelievable!!   So the Tech replaced the RG and did the CAT5 cabling.  After that I was having a problem with frequent re-booting.  Another tech comes out and replaces the DVR with a new one.  5 days later the thing reboots on me when I try and play a recorded show.  We'll see how often this one reboots by itself.  If it is anything like the last one (which never rebooted until I got the new RG), this will be the last straw.  Either all of the equipment is horribly unrealiable, or none of the 12+ Techs that have been out here have a clue.

Message 15 of 26 (1,166 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.