What is this?! No ROUTER?!!!?

Contributor

What is this?! No ROUTER?!!!?

OK, so I have the Elite internet package U-Verse but it came without a router. It's wireless and all .. but it has no router. I thought

it came like that but it turns out that you do get one.  The internet is wireless but there is 1 cord in my room hooked up striaght to the wall

so i can hook it up to the internet.. WHY DONT I HAVE A ROUTER? does any one else not have 1??

and also... I bought a modem to hook the wire in to have more than one ethernet cords so i plugged them in to diffrent computers now my internet shuts down sometimes and says something about a third party omg im going to kill my self plzzplzpzpl help.. sorry for the bad english.

Message 1 of 11 (459 Views)
Professor

Re: What is this?! No ROUTER?!!!?

iR3pulsive wrote:

OK, so I have the Elite internet package U-Verse but it came without a router. It's wireless and all .. but it has no router. I thought

it came like that but it turns out that you do get one.  The internet is wireless but there is 1 cord in my room hooked up striaght to the wall

so i can hook it up to the internet.. WHY DONT I HAVE A ROUTER? does any one else not have 1??

and also... I bought a modem to hook the wire in to have more than one ethernet cords so i plugged them in to diffrent computers now my internet shuts down sometimes and says something about a third party omg im going to kill my self plzzplzpzpl help.. sorry for the bad english.

Uh, Mr.Pulsive, are you telling us that you don't have that gray and black thing with the little green lights on it called the Residential Gateway? You don't see it?It's simple, if you  have a residential gateway, you have a modem and router in one package. And if you don't have a residential gateway, then you don't have U-verse.

Message 2 of 11 (459 Views)
Professor

Good night, all
Message 3 of 11 (459 Views)
Scholar

If you have wi-fi then you have a router period. Its immpossible to have wi-fi without a router. Your RG is your router, it has 4 eathernet ports on the back for wired connections, and wifi for non wired connections.

http://192.168.1.254 gets you to your router settings.  

Message 4 of 11 (459 Views)
Expert

doubleatheman wrote:

If you have wi-fi then you have a router period. Its immpossible to have wi-fi without a router.

Not exactly.  Most consumer routers have built-in Wi-Fi (including the RG), but there are many wireless access points available that are just that -- a wireless access point only, with no routing capabilities.  These are very useful when you need to add a second wireless access point to increase the coverage area, or you want to add 802.11n wireless to a system that already has a router where the built-in wireless is 802.11g.

Message 5 of 11 (459 Views)
Scholar

Maybe MrPulsive is in Candada - :smileyvery-happy:
Message 6 of 11 (459 Views)
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

doubleatheman wrote:

If you have wi-fi then you have a router period. Its immpossible to have wi-fi without a router.

Not exactly.  Most consumer routers have built-in Wi-Fi (including the RG), but there are many wireless access points available that are just that -- a wireless access point only, with no routing capabilities.  These are very useful when you need to add a second wireless access point to increase the coverage area, or you want to add 802.11n wireless to a system that already has a router where the built-in wireless is 802.11g.

But a wifi acess point does not work without having a router somewhere on your network. You need something to hand out a dhcp address. Im sure in some rare weird setups you dont need a router (ie adhoc) but in most cases wi-fi = router somewhere on your network.  

Message 7 of 11 (459 Views)
Expert

This is kind of OT, but a router and Wi-Fi do not have to coexist in any form.  A router is a device to allow packets on one network to traverse to another network at the network layer (layer 3).  A Wi-Fi access point allows packets to travel between the wired and wireless networks at the logical link layer (layer 2).  You most certainly can have a Wi-Fi access point work without any router.

DHCP is not required on any network.  You can always use static IP addressing, with no DHCP server.  And if you do want to use DHCP, that service is independent of a router.  You can run it on Windows Server, on any Linux machine, and several other devices besides a router.

It's true that if you want to connect your network to the Internet, you need a router.  But this is independent of any other hardware devices or services running on the network.

"Adhoc" is a term used in 802.11 networks that refers to a group of client end-stations that talk to each other without a wireless access point.  Don't confuse that with a network that doesn't have a router, which isn't referred to by that term.

For the OP, he probably does not realize that the RG is his router.

Message 8 of 11 (459 Views)
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

This is kind of OT, but a router and Wi-Fi do not have to coexist in any form.  A router is a device to allow packets on one network to traverse to another network at the network layer (layer 3).  A Wi-Fi access point allows packets to travel between the wired and wireless networks at the logical link layer (layer 2).  You most certainly can have a Wi-Fi access point work without any router.

DHCP is not required on any network.  You can always use static IP addressing, with no DHCP server.  And if you do want to use DHCP, that service is independent of a router.  You can run it on Windows Server, on any Linux machine, and several other devices besides a router.

It's true that if you want to connect your network to the Internet, you need a router.  But this is independent of any other hardware devices or services running on the network.

"Adhoc" is a term used in 802.11 networks that refers to a group of client end-stations that talk to each other without a wireless access point.  Don't confuse that with a network that doesn't have a router, which isn't referred to by that term.

For the OP, he probably does not realize that the RG is his router.

UGH... I didn't need a lesson in network topography, In most cases In a home network setting, if you have wi-fi you have a router, Thats all I was getting at. 

Message 9 of 11 (459 Views)
Expert

doubleatheman wrote:
UGH... I didn't need a lesson in network topography

Then don't make blanket statements that are untrue.  That's all I was getting at.

Message 10 of 11 (459 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

and isn't it network topology?  I thought topography was for maps and things ... like GPS gizmos. :smileyhappy:

Just trying to stay OT here...

Message 11 of 11 (160 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.