Posted May 26, 2011
4:29:52 PM
View profile
Way to avoid 250GB cap?

I have only one service with ATT: Internet via uverse.  I have made a lot of choices based on the policies that were in place when a signed up.  I did take a long look at ATT IPTV service, but in order to get the 3-4 non-premium channels I actually would watch I was looking at $70-80.00/mo.  It just wasn't worth it to me.

So, what is this about switching to a business account to avoid the cap?  Is it possible to do that?  If so how much would it cost?  Is the service really unmetered?

Frankly, I don't mind paying more for more GB - but $10 per 50GB is expensive. I would rather pay more - even $30-40.00 more for unlimited service.  It would seem to me that if ATT offered a surcharge for unlimited GBs it would be fair all the way around.  ATT get compensated for the "loss" of TV customers and the revenue they bring and those of us whose tastes in entertainment don't ATTs TV packages would get to find the video we want on the net.  Win -Win.  In any case, ATT will not see my TV business because you do not offer a la carte purchasing of individual channels - directv does.

I am looking forward to actually knowing how much I am using.  Perhaps I am "only" using 400-500GB - in which case I am still miles ahead of buy TV service Hopefully the useage tool will be up and running soon.

Way to avoid 250GB cap?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2011 11:18:01 PM
(0)
Expert

Yes, the business U-Verse account is unmetered (no cap).

Be aware that if you get business U-Verse Internet, you cannot add residential IPTV to that (if you were considering doing that at a later date).

Re: Way to avoid 250GB cap?

2 of 7 (7,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2011 12:06:09 AM
(0)

Yes, some searching on the net did reveal that IPTV would have to be business as well.  

My search also revealed that they are reportedly asking for an EIN (Employer Identification Number).  In 10 years of running my own computer business, I have never needed one!  I have never had any employees.

Although I am retired/disabled I still host several websites here at home - in fact before switching to Uverse I had Business Class DSL.

So does anyone here know what is required to switch to business service?

3 of 7 (7,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2011 8:16:30 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by mogamer on May 27, 2011 at 8:20:57 AM

vincewarde wrote:

Yes, some searching on the net did reveal that IPTV would have to be business as well.  

My search also revealed that they are reportedly asking for an EIN (Employer Identification Number).  In 10 years of running my own computer business, I have never needed one!  I have never had any employees.

Although I am retired/disabled I still host several websites here at home - in fact before switching to Uverse I had Business Class DSL.

So does anyone here know what is required to switch to business service?

Before I left U-Verse for WOW I investigated Business Class service from both ATT and Comcast. Comast was less expensive for the same service (Comcast 12/2 vs U-Verse 12/1.5). Comcast didn't require an EIN for their service, I didn't call ATT because it was more expensive in the first place and I was angry about them putting caps on their residential service. Why don't you just call around to see what they require. If U-Verse is the best for you and they require an EIN, then get one. I've heard that they're not that difficult to get. If you want business class service and also want full tv service; then there is always satellite tv, which quite frankly, has better HD picture quality than U-verse anyway.

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (7,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2011 5:26:53 PM
(0)

And there is always the possibility of using an antenna!  We currently get several stations crystal clear, using a relititively small antenna in our attic.  I intend to pick up an "HD Stacker" and see if I can put it in the attic - if that doesn't work, I'll put it on the roof.  Using an antenna to watch network shows can save a lot of GB compared to Hulu.  I guess local stations will indirectly benifit from caps.

5 of 7 (7,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2011 7:02:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

It is very easy.  Cancel all of your Uverse services and go with another provider.  I just did and will be calling support bright and early Tues AM with my cancelation.  Vote with your wallet!

6 of 7 (7,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2011 5:36:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Hopefully if someone gets a notification they will post a screen shot.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (7,339 Views)