Volume dropped on DVR

Scholar

Volume dropped on DVR

I called Uverse yesterday to get a confirmation number to return one of my STB's I'm not using anymore.  I received the number and then the person told me she was going to waive my $10 HD fee for 6 months.  I'm not sure why but I wasn't going to put up a fuss :smileyhappy:.  Later last night I turned everything on and the volume was down so low I could not hear anything.  I normally listen at about the -40dB range on my Yamaha.  I had to go up to about +10dB on the volume setting to be able to hear.  I NEVER go that high with the volume (normally).  I should have seen the furniture moving!   I checked the Moto DVR volume setting and it was still at the maximum setting of 25.  Rebooted the DVR - no change.  Rebooted the RG - no change.  Recycled the Yamaha - no change.  Checked other inputs (CD, PS3, etc) and volume was fine.  I changed the DVR from Surround to Stereo and the volume is normal again.  Normally, being in Stereo dropped the volume a few dB's from Surround.  Last night it was just the opposite, by a MUCH higher margin.

So, did something happen when I disconnected the unused STB?  Did my account get changed somehow at Uverse when it was changed by the Tech to de-activate the STB?  Is the DVR bad and the timing is just a coincidence?  I haven't called Tech Support yet - thought I'd ask here just in case I'd done something stupid. 

Any ideas on this one...? 

Message 1 of 253 (975 Views)
Scholar

Re: Volume dropped on DVR

Jim,

My own rating was an overall AT&T rating.  The big issue was not the issue itself, but in how everything was managed... or basically not managed. 

Aside from whatever testing they may have done, they certainly didn't have the necessary feedback mechanism to have held off on rolling out the change once people starting having issues.  Given they broke local HD channels first, why would they have later rolled out a change that trashed the rest of the HD channels?  Were they completely unaware that the first update had issues?  It seems like they should have a better process for ensuring that changes don't break stuff before going nationwide.    That's on top of the poor support side of this whole issue.

Message 241 of 253 (121 Views)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Diamond_Jim wrote:

Yes, the source is very reliable and in fact is part of the team involved with the upgrade.  I told them I would not give a name or email because I knew they would be swamped with emails.  I can understand what happened with this upgrade because in my line of work the same things happens all too often.  Don't blame the engineering folks.  They never intended for this to happen and believed they had done enough tests to insure it wouldn't.  You can only do so many tests in the lab and with a small control sample.  If your "acceptance tests" all execute error free you have to assume its ready to push out to everyone. 

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that.

Black box testing should be part of a testing program, but by itself is insufficient.  Precisely because you can't test every possible audio receiver is why you can't rely on a small sample of receivers to ensure that your changes are ready.

Dolby has testing equipment that can certify that a Dolby Digital bitstream is 100% compliant with the specs.  One hookup to that testing device would have immediately red-flagged the missing dialnorm value and told everyone that the stream was out-of-spec.

The fact that this wasn't done is why the engineers also get an "F".

Exactly. And, as I stated before, when implementing a change of this magnitude a simple onscreen message for all customers could have easily avoided what turned out to be quite a conundrum for many. Any network engineer worth their salt would have posted a message detailing any upcoming maintenance that could possibly negatively affect it's users. That, in my not so humble opinion, is SOP.

Message 242 of 253 (121 Views)
Mentor

I haven't had any audio volume increases or lip-sync problems for 2 days now. Time will tell if a permanent fix is in place. I sure hope so!!!

Maybe they'll address motion blur next?

Message 243 of 253 (121 Views)
Contributor

Be sure and check your bills. Mine came today, and there was a $55 repair charge. Very interesting - considering we had nothing to do with the problem. All together over the last 2 weeks, I spoke to 8 different U-Verse people ( 2 Tier 1 techs, 1 Tier 2 tech, 1 Tier 2 supervisor, 2 techs dispatched to my home, and 2 Billing agents). The Billing agent I spoke to today still was not aware of this problem! It's mind boggling to think about how much money AT&T wasted on this and why 4 weeks after the fact, no one seems to know about it except the engineers who caused the problem to begin with. At least the agent today was very nice about removing the charge and giving me a credit for wasting my time.

Message 244 of 253 (121 Views)
Mentor

GPeaslee wrote:

Be sure and check your bills. Mine came today, and there was a $55 repair charge. Very interesting - considering we had nothing to do with the problem. All together over the last 2 weeks, I spoke to 8 different U-Verse people ( 2 Tier 1 techs, 1 Tier 2 tech, 1 Tier 2 supervisor, 2 techs dispatched to my home, and 2 Billing agents). The Billing agent I spoke to today still was not aware of this problem! It's mind boggling to think about how much money AT&T wasted on this and why 4 weeks after the fact, no one seems to know about it except the engineers who caused the problem to begin with. At least the agent today was very nice about removing the charge and giving me a credit for wasting my time.

That's cheesy. Maybe they figure they can recoup some of their losses by billing customers and hoping the customers won't look closely at their bills and just pay them?

Message 245 of 253 (121 Views)
Mentor

Anyone experiencing low (no) volume on HD channels again?

Message 246 of 253 (121 Views)
Scholar

I had the issue while watching the Cubs game on Comcast Sports tonight! It went on for a while.

Message 247 of 253 (121 Views)
Expert

uh oh!:smileysurprised:

Message 248 of 253 (121 Views)
Contributor

Hi, I am also in Atlanta,  in the Clairmont / Emory area.  I was wondering if you are having the following issue? I have optical out from STB going to my HTR, the 5.1 works fine now, I was having the same problem as everyone else a few weeks ago. But, before the Dialog Normalization problem started, I began losing audio on my TV. I have HDMI out from STB going directly to my TV. Some channels are worse than others. Some channels I will lose the audio a few seconds after tuning to it, other channels it will last 5 minutes or more before the audio disappears. The only way to get the audio back is to change the channel and immediately go back. Once I do, it will last for 5 seconds or 5 minutes plus, again depending on the channel. However, the audio stays on my HTR the entire time. Just seems to be an issue with the HDMI output, almost like it isn't getting enough audio stream from certain channels. I have had this exact setup for 5 months before this and it worked without a problem (except for the 5.1 audio pops and drops on my HTR). I am a Director at FOX 5, so I know quite a bit about how all this stuff is connected / works. An Engineer I work with has contact info for a U-Verse top level engineer, that he is going to pass on to me. Just wondering if anyone else with this setup is having the same problem, before I talk to this guy. Obviously if I am watching the news, I don't want / need to waste power having my HTR on. But, right now this is the only way I can watch TV. If I switch the STB to stereo instead of surround sound, I don't have the audio disappearing problem on my TV. So I guess I could just keep switching audio options while watching regular TV for now.

Message 249 of 253 (121 Views)
Scholar

Tvspot,

After more than a year of looking at all the threads about audio and video problems my conclusion is don't use HDMI.  I tried in the beginning and it became a nightmare.  I now use component for video (straight to the LCD) and optical to a Yamaha AVR.  This gives me fewer problems.  Still not problem free, but better than using HDMI.  I know that really doesn't do much for your situation.

Something else I've observed is, what worked last week may not work this week.  And next week expect something completely different.   I've never seen such a bug-filled product.

Message 250 of 253 (121 Views)
Mentor

Diamond_Jim wrote:

Tvspot,

After more than a year of looking at all the threads about audio and video problems my conclusion is don't use HDMI.  I tried in the beginning and it became a nightmare.  I now use component for video (straight to the LCD) and optical to a Yamaha AVR.  This gives me fewer problems.  Still not problem free, but better than using HDMI.  I know that really doesn't do much for your situation.

Something else I've observed is, what worked last week may not work this week.  And next week expect something completely different.   I've never seen such a bug-filled product.

This would work for me except that I have other components that require component connections because they don't have HDMI and I don't have enough component connections to the TV or receiver.

Message 251 of 253 (275 Views)
Scholar

Could you use a combination of component inputs on both the receiver and TV?  You would consume one with the receiver to TV, but have all of your receiver component inputs, plus any remaining on the TV.

Message 252 of 253 (275 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Banzai wrote:

Could you use a combination of component inputs on both the receiver and TV?  You would consume one with the receiver to TV, but have all of your receiver component inputs, plus any remaining on the TV.

No. I would have to move something, like the gaming system, to a composite connection to free up another component connection.

Message 253 of 253 (275 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support