Volume dropped on DVR

Scholar

Volume dropped on DVR

I called Uverse yesterday to get a confirmation number to return one of my STB's I'm not using anymore.  I received the number and then the person told me she was going to waive my $10 HD fee for 6 months.  I'm not sure why but I wasn't going to put up a fuss :smileyhappy:.  Later last night I turned everything on and the volume was down so low I could not hear anything.  I normally listen at about the -40dB range on my Yamaha.  I had to go up to about +10dB on the volume setting to be able to hear.  I NEVER go that high with the volume (normally).  I should have seen the furniture moving!   I checked the Moto DVR volume setting and it was still at the maximum setting of 25.  Rebooted the DVR - no change.  Rebooted the RG - no change.  Recycled the Yamaha - no change.  Checked other inputs (CD, PS3, etc) and volume was fine.  I changed the DVR from Surround to Stereo and the volume is normal again.  Normally, being in Stereo dropped the volume a few dB's from Surround.  Last night it was just the opposite, by a MUCH higher margin.

So, did something happen when I disconnected the unused STB?  Did my account get changed somehow at Uverse when it was changed by the Tech to de-activate the STB?  Is the DVR bad and the timing is just a coincidence?  I haven't called Tech Support yet - thought I'd ask here just in case I'd done something stupid. 

Any ideas on this one...? 

Message 1 of 253 (976 Views)
Teacher

Re: Volume dropped on DVR

redass1876 wrote:

Anyone notice the fix to come with a slight lip sync issue?

Watched a few shows that were recorded on Tuesday from my DVR (I'm in LA area BTW) & FX was still low in level.  Fox was okay for 75% of GLEE (first time it's worked in several weeks now).  BUT -

during a commercial break, my fast forward stuck, had to hit play, audio went to stereo from the 5.1 signal, then turned back into 5.1 when the show came on & audio was suddenly low again.  Also, audio drops were still present when audio was okay, but there seemed to be less of them. 

This issue, coupled with some of our favorite shows ending (24, LOST, possibly "The Office") may lead us to cancel after our 6month promo discount is over.  Too early to tell though.

Message 211 of 253 (228 Views)
Scholar

I've had a couple more conversations with the AT&T engineering folks today.  I supplied them with some requested data from last night that helped them identify some of the problem areas still acting up.  They have completed what they believe is a fix for all the issues concerning the dialnorm problem.  I think they said it has been pushed to the Dallas/DFW area already and will attempt a nationwide push tonight during the normal maintenance cycle.  I really believe the folks I've been talking with are very concerned about us having a good signal.  I told them the feeling of hopelessness we get sometimes from dealing with the normal tech support people and how our frustration level can be so high.  I was told their department is going to monitor U-Talk from now on to try and get a better handle on things that are impacting all of us.  That's good news!! 

Message 212 of 253 (228 Views)
Mentor

Diamond_Jim wrote:

I've had a couple more conversations with the AT&T engineering folks today.  I supplied them with some requested data from last night that helped them identify some of the problem areas still acting up.  They have completed what they believe is a fix for all the issues concerning the dialnorm problem.  I think they said it has been pushed to the Dallas/DFW area already and will attempt a nationwide push tonight during the normal maintenance cycle.  I really believe the folks I've been talking with are very concerned about us having a good signal.  I told them the feeling of hopelessness we get sometimes from dealing with the normal tech support people and how our frustration level can be so high.  I was told their department is going to monitor U-Talk from now on to try and get a better handle on things that are impacting all of us.  That's good news!! 

I'm still amazed at the number of T1, T2 and Prem Techs i've come across who have no idea that this forum or Uverseusers.com even exist.

Message 213 of 253 (228 Views)
Scholar

The engineering folks I've been talking with made it sound like someone just came in the office one day and said "Hey, guess what I found?"  They went to the forum and read where we were having the problems and then got started on fixing it.  That may not be exactly how it happened but I don't think I'm too far wrong.

Have you ever noticed that auto mechanics drive junker cars that belch oil and smoke?  Plumbers all have rusted leaking plumbing in their homes, doctors all have sick family members, and landscapers all have weed infested yards?  Well, AT&T can't communicate!!

Message 214 of 253 (228 Views)
Mentor

Yesterday I still had the surround sound volume issue on 1005 (NBC). Today 1005 is fine but 1151 (SyFy) is messed up. Actually the volume/distortion change took place after watching the channel for about half an hour. The random checking I did yesterday was to view a channel for maybe 1 minute. So now I'm wondering about the fix.

WORSE... Lip-Sync. It's worse than ever. Anyone else experiencing this?

Message 215 of 253 (228 Views)
Teacher

San Antonio area here...Syfy channel is now having issues again.  It was just fine last night.  All the rest seem just fine.

Message 216 of 253 (228 Views)
Scholar

Greater LA area:

CBS is still bad (low volume + distortion)

Have not checked all channels yet.  Many are better.

Did notice some minor lip sync issues.

Message 217 of 253 (228 Views)
Tutor

I checked last and a large number of my channels are back to "normal' including the audio dropouts, but I still have a number of them with low volume. I live near Sacramento CA. I have not bothered to report this to customer service and get my blood pressure up. I don't want to be told:

1.We don't support Dolby Digital (really, I was told this)

2.Your audio equipment is bad

3 Your box is bad, blow away all your settings before we give you a new one

as I was told the last time I called in.

Message 218 of 253 (228 Views)
Teacher

innajnod wrote:

Yesterday I still had the surround sound volume issue on 1005 (NBC). Today 1005 is fine but 1151 (SyFy) is messed up. Actually the volume/distortion change took place after watching the channel for about half an hour. The random checking I did yesterday was to view a channel for maybe 1 minute. So now I'm wondering about the fix.

Forgot to mention that in my earlier post - terrible lip sync when watching a Fox show for the time it worked, so you're not alone.  I'd rather watch it in stereo mode than 5.1 with bad sync.

Message 219 of 253 (228 Views)
Mentor

chris_s_p wrote:

innajnod wrote:

Forgot to mention that in my earlier post - terrible lip sync when watching a Fox show for the time it worked, so you're not alone.  I'd rather watch it in stereo mode than 5.1 with bad sync.

I know. When I switched from DirecTV to U-verse, UV's package saved me about $30 a month. I'm starting to think it's worth $30 a month to rid myself of these issues, but mostly the frustration.

I just called and talked to a guy (David) in Escalations. He was familiar with the surround audio and lip-sync  issues. He said that in surround there is a delay between the audio and video, they're aware and working on it. He suggested going back to stereo to eliminate the lip-sync issue. He also waived the $10/mo. HD fee for 6 months. Wow, a whopping $60 bucks. I'm not sure if that's enough to make up for what's now 6 weeks of problems with no end in sight.

Message 220 of 253 (228 Views)
Scholar

On at least one channel I noticed lip sync issues on a setup running stereo on the STB which was connected to a receiver via RCA cables.  The STB was connected to the TV via HDMI.  Direct TV audio through HDMI was ok, but through the receiver via had lip sync issues.  We've not had that problem before.

Message 221 of 253 (210 Views)
Contributor

Houston, Texas.  Watched all of my recorded Thursday shows last night (The Office, Parks etc) and it all seems to be perfect now, in fact the DD 5.1 sounds even better than before the problem started and no lip sync issues or drop outs whatsoever.  I called the billing department to be compensated for the loss of service I have experienced for the last 4 weeks and he gave me $15 a month off for the next 6 months.  He didn't even fight about it.  I am happy with that as I really do not want to get rid of U Verse.  I am still appalled at the Tier I "support", and I hope I don't have to contact them again for a very long time.

Message 222 of 253 (210 Views)
Tutor

Tier 2 was just as bad too

Message 223 of 253 (210 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

everything appears to be functioning normal since about last wednesday or thursday, I'm also not noticing any audio dropouts... however I have noticed a couple of freezes in the pictures on many of the shows I have watched from this past week (I generally watch TV on the weekend, so I catch up on all the weeks shows). So yea I don't remember this freezing issues before, but its rare and it doesn't seem to skip anything so that's okay I guess. Hope that isn't a constant problem. But at least all the 5.1 issues have been solved and no dropouts either.

Message 224 of 253 (210 Views)
Expert

I think all the low volume & distortion issues are gone, but I think the jury is still out on the dropouts.  We'll see what happens.

Message 225 of 253 (210 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support