Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 7, 2010
1:50:48 PM
Volume dropped on DVR

I called Uverse yesterday to get a confirmation number to return one of my STB's I'm not using anymore.  I received the number and then the person told me she was going to waive my $10 HD fee for 6 months.  I'm not sure why but I wasn't going to put up a fuss :smileyhappy:.  Later last night I turned everything on and the volume was down so low I could not hear anything.  I normally listen at about the -40dB range on my Yamaha.  I had to go up to about +10dB on the volume setting to be able to hear.  I NEVER go that high with the volume (normally).  I should have seen the furniture moving!   I checked the Moto DVR volume setting and it was still at the maximum setting of 25.  Rebooted the DVR - no change.  Rebooted the RG - no change.  Recycled the Yamaha - no change.  Checked other inputs (CD, PS3, etc) and volume was fine.  I changed the DVR from Surround to Stereo and the volume is normal again.  Normally, being in Stereo dropped the volume a few dB's from Surround.  Last night it was just the opposite, by a MUCH higher margin.

So, did something happen when I disconnected the unused STB?  Did my account get changed somehow at Uverse when it was changed by the Tech to de-activate the STB?  Is the DVR bad and the timing is just a coincidence?  I haven't called Tech Support yet - thought I'd ask here just in case I'd done something stupid. 

Any ideas on this one...? 

I called Uverse yesterday to get a confirmation number to return one of my STB's I'm not using anymore.  I received the number and then the person told me she was going to waive my $10 HD fee for 6 months.  I'm not sure why but I wasn't going to put up a fuss :smileyhappy:.  Later last night I turned everything on and the volume was down so low I could not hear anything.  I normally listen at about the -40dB range on my Yamaha.  I had to go up to about +10dB on the volume setting to be able to hear.  I NEVER go that high with the volume (normally).  I should have seen the furniture moving!   I checked the Moto DVR volume setting and it was still at the maximum setting of 25.  Rebooted the DVR - no change.  Rebooted the RG - no change.  Recycled the Yamaha - no change.  Checked other inputs (CD, PS3, etc) and volume was fine.  I changed the DVR from Surround to Stereo and the volume is normal again.  Normally, being in Stereo dropped the volume a few dB's from Surround.  Last night it was just the opposite, by a MUCH higher margin.

So, did something happen when I disconnected the unused STB?  Did my account get changed somehow at Uverse when it was changed by the Tech to de-activate the STB?  Is the DVR bad and the timing is just a coincidence?  I haven't called Tech Support yet - thought I'd ask here just in case I'd done something stupid. 

Any ideas on this one...? 

Volume dropped on DVR

252 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(252)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 10:55:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

redass1876 wrote:

Anyone notice the fix to come with a slight lip sync issue?

Watched a few shows that were recorded on Tuesday from my DVR (I'm in LA area BTW) & FX was still low in level.  Fox was okay for 75% of GLEE (first time it's worked in several weeks now).  BUT -

during a commercial break, my fast forward stuck, had to hit play, audio went to stereo from the 5.1 signal, then turned back into 5.1 when the show came on & audio was suddenly low again.  Also, audio drops were still present when audio was okay, but there seemed to be less of them. 

This issue, coupled with some of our favorite shows ending (24, LOST, possibly "The Office") may lead us to cancel after our 6month promo discount is over.  Too early to tell though.

redass1876 wrote:

Anyone notice the fix to come with a slight lip sync issue?

Watched a few shows that were recorded on Tuesday from my DVR (I'm in LA area BTW) & FX was still low in level.  Fox was okay for 75% of GLEE (first time it's worked in several weeks now).  BUT -

during a commercial break, my fast forward stuck, had to hit play, audio went to stereo from the 5.1 signal, then turned back into 5.1 when the show came on & audio was suddenly low again.  Also, audio drops were still present when audio was okay, but there seemed to be less of them. 

This issue, coupled with some of our favorite shows ending (24, LOST, possibly "The Office") may lead us to cancel after our 6month promo discount is over.  Too early to tell though.

Re: Volume dropped on DVR

211 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 12:39:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've had a couple more conversations with the AT&T engineering folks today.  I supplied them with some requested data from last night that helped them identify some of the problem areas still acting up.  They have completed what they believe is a fix for all the issues concerning the dialnorm problem.  I think they said it has been pushed to the Dallas/DFW area already and will attempt a nationwide push tonight during the normal maintenance cycle.  I really believe the folks I've been talking with are very concerned about us having a good signal.  I told them the feeling of hopelessness we get sometimes from dealing with the normal tech support people and how our frustration level can be so high.  I was told their department is going to monitor U-Talk from now on to try and get a better handle on things that are impacting all of us.  That's good news!! 

I've had a couple more conversations with the AT&T engineering folks today.  I supplied them with some requested data from last night that helped them identify some of the problem areas still acting up.  They have completed what they believe is a fix for all the issues concerning the dialnorm problem.  I think they said it has been pushed to the Dallas/DFW area already and will attempt a nationwide push tonight during the normal maintenance cycle.  I really believe the folks I've been talking with are very concerned about us having a good signal.  I told them the feeling of hopelessness we get sometimes from dealing with the normal tech support people and how our frustration level can be so high.  I was told their department is going to monitor U-Talk from now on to try and get a better handle on things that are impacting all of us.  That's good news!! 

212 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 2:43:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

Diamond_Jim wrote:

I'm still amazed at the number of T1, T2 and Prem Techs i've come across who have no idea that this forum or Uverseusers.com even exist.

Diamond_Jim wrote:

I'm still amazed at the number of T1, T2 and Prem Techs i've come across who have no idea that this forum or Uverseusers.com even exist.

The new forum sucks.

213 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 2:59:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

The engineering folks I've been talking with made it sound like someone just came in the office one day and said "Hey, guess what I found?"  They went to the forum and read where we were having the problems and then got started on fixing it.  That may not be exactly how it happened but I don't think I'm too far wrong.

Have you ever noticed that auto mechanics drive junker cars that belch oil and smoke?  Plumbers all have rusted leaking plumbing in their homes, doctors all have sick family members, and landscapers all have weed infested yards?  Well, AT&T can't communicate!!

The engineering folks I've been talking with made it sound like someone just came in the office one day and said "Hey, guess what I found?"  They went to the forum and read where we were having the problems and then got started on fixing it.  That may not be exactly how it happened but I don't think I'm too far wrong.

Have you ever noticed that auto mechanics drive junker cars that belch oil and smoke?  Plumbers all have rusted leaking plumbing in their homes, doctors all have sick family members, and landscapers all have weed infested yards?  Well, AT&T can't communicate!!

214 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 3:24:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yesterday I still had the surround sound volume issue on 1005 (NBC). Today 1005 is fine but 1151 (SyFy) is messed up. Actually the volume/distortion change took place after watching the channel for about half an hour. The random checking I did yesterday was to view a channel for maybe 1 minute. So now I'm wondering about the fix.

WORSE... Lip-Sync. It's worse than ever. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yesterday I still had the surround sound volume issue on 1005 (NBC). Today 1005 is fine but 1151 (SyFy) is messed up. Actually the volume/distortion change took place after watching the channel for about half an hour. The random checking I did yesterday was to view a channel for maybe 1 minute. So now I'm wondering about the fix.

215 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 4:46:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

San Antonio area here...Syfy channel is now having issues again.  It was just fine last night.  All the rest seem just fine.

San Antonio area here...Syfy channel is now having issues again.  It was just fine last night.  All the rest seem just fine.

216 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 29, 2010 10:57:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

Greater LA area:

CBS is still bad (low volume + distortion)

Have not checked all channels yet.  Many are better.

Did notice some minor lip sync issues.

Greater LA area:

CBS is still bad (low volume + distortion)

Have not checked all channels yet.  Many are better.

Did notice some minor lip sync issues.

217 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 7:22:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

I checked last and a large number of my channels are back to "normal' including the audio dropouts, but I still have a number of them with low volume. I live near Sacramento CA. I have not bothered to report this to customer service and get my blood pressure up. I don't want to be told:

1.We don't support Dolby Digital (really, I was told this)

2.Your audio equipment is bad

3 Your box is bad, blow away all your settings before we give you a new one

as I was told the last time I called in.

I checked last and a large number of my channels are back to "normal' including the audio dropouts, but I still have a number of them with low volume. I live near Sacramento CA. I have not bothered to report this to customer service and get my blood pressure up. I don't want to be told:

1.We don't support Dolby Digital (really, I was told this)

2.Your audio equipment is bad

3 Your box is bad, blow away all your settings before we give you a new one

as I was told the last time I called in.

218 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 9:21:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

innajnod wrote:

Forgot to mention that in my earlier post - terrible lip sync when watching a Fox show for the time it worked, so you're not alone.  I'd rather watch it in stereo mode than 5.1 with bad sync.

innajnod wrote:

Forgot to mention that in my earlier post - terrible lip sync when watching a Fox show for the time it worked, so you're not alone.  I'd rather watch it in stereo mode than 5.1 with bad sync.

219 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 2:36:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

chris_s_p wrote:

innajnod wrote:

I know. When I switched from DirecTV to U-verse, UV's package saved me about $30 a month. I'm starting to think it's worth $30 a month to rid myself of these issues, but mostly the frustration.

I just called and talked to a guy (David) in Escalations. He was familiar with the surround audio and lip-sync  issues. He said that in surround there is a delay between the audio and video, they're aware and working on it. He suggested going back to stereo to eliminate the lip-sync issue. He also waived the $10/mo. HD fee for 6 months. Wow, a whopping $60 bucks. I'm not sure if that's enough to make up for what's now 6 weeks of problems with no end in sight.

chris_s_p wrote:

innajnod wrote:

I know. When I switched from DirecTV to U-verse, UV's package saved me about $30 a month. I'm starting to think it's worth $30 a month to rid myself of these issues, but mostly the frustration.

I just called and talked to a guy (David) in Escalations. He was familiar with the surround audio and lip-sync  issues. He said that in surround there is a delay between the audio and video, they're aware and working on it. He suggested going back to stereo to eliminate the lip-sync issue. He also waived the $10/mo. HD fee for 6 months. Wow, a whopping $60 bucks. I'm not sure if that's enough to make up for what's now 6 weeks of problems with no end in sight.

220 of 253 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2010 9:43:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

On at least one channel I noticed lip sync issues on a setup running stereo on the STB which was connected to a receiver via RCA cables.  The STB was connected to the TV via HDMI.  Direct TV audio through HDMI was ok, but through the receiver via had lip sync issues.  We've not had that problem before.

On at least one channel I noticed lip sync issues on a setup running stereo on the STB which was connected to a receiver via RCA cables.  The STB was connected to the TV via HDMI.  Direct TV audio through HDMI was ok, but through the receiver via had lip sync issues.  We've not had that problem before.

221 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 6:12:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

Houston, Texas.  Watched all of my recorded Thursday shows last night (The Office, Parks etc) and it all seems to be perfect now, in fact the DD 5.1 sounds even better than before the problem started and no lip sync issues or drop outs whatsoever.  I called the billing department to be compensated for the loss of service I have experienced for the last 4 weeks and he gave me $15 a month off for the next 6 months.  He didn't even fight about it.  I am happy with that as I really do not want to get rid of U Verse.  I am still appalled at the Tier I "support", and I hope I don't have to contact them again for a very long time.

Houston, Texas.  Watched all of my recorded Thursday shows last night (The Office, Parks etc) and it all seems to be perfect now, in fact the DD 5.1 sounds even better than before the problem started and no lip sync issues or drop outs whatsoever.  I called the billing department to be compensated for the loss of service I have experienced for the last 4 weeks and he gave me $15 a month off for the next 6 months.  He didn't even fight about it.  I am happy with that as I really do not want to get rid of U Verse.  I am still appalled at the Tier I "support", and I hope I don't have to contact them again for a very long time.

222 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2010 10:17:50 AM
(0)
Tutor

Tier 2 was just as bad too

Tier 2 was just as bad too

223 of 253 (177 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 5:38:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

everything appears to be functioning normal since about last wednesday or thursday, I'm also not noticing any audio dropouts... however I have noticed a couple of freezes in the pictures on many of the shows I have watched from this past week (I generally watch TV on the weekend, so I catch up on all the weeks shows). So yea I don't remember this freezing issues before, but its rare and it doesn't seem to skip anything so that's okay I guess. Hope that isn't a constant problem. But at least all the 5.1 issues have been solved and no dropouts either.

everything appears to be functioning normal since about last wednesday or thursday, I'm also not noticing any audio dropouts... however I have noticed a couple of freezes in the pictures on many of the shows I have watched from this past week (I generally watch TV on the weekend, so I catch up on all the weeks shows). So yea I don't remember this freezing issues before, but its rare and it doesn't seem to skip anything so that's okay I guess. Hope that isn't a constant problem. But at least all the 5.1 issues have been solved and no dropouts either.

224 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 8:56:52 AM
(0)
Expert

I think all the low volume & distortion issues are gone, but I think the jury is still out on the dropouts.  We'll see what happens.

I think all the low volume & distortion issues are gone, but I think the jury is still out on the dropouts.  We'll see what happens.

225 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 8:58:33 AM
(0)
Scholar

SomeJoe,

How about any of the reported lip sync issues that were reported?

SomeJoe,

How about any of the reported lip sync issues that were reported?

226 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 9:01:52 AM
(0)
Expert

On the lip sync, I haven't noticed any in the past few days, but when I found some on Wed/Thurs they were only on some specific channels that I don't typically watch.

I'll go back and check those channels when I get a chance.

On the lip sync, I haven't noticed any in the past few days, but when I found some on Wed/Thurs they were only on some specific channels that I don't typically watch.

I'll go back and check those channels when I get a chance.

227 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 10:59:30 AM
(0)
Tutor

As some might have ready I posted a couple pages back that I terminated my Uverse TV service (I did retain the internet, which I love) Well a day after terminating the service I got one of those "How did your service appointment last Sunday go?" survey emails.. which I filled out....

So I get a call back on it this past Friday. Not sure what department the woman was from but she appologised that I was still having problems and the tech was unable to fix them and offered me 6 months free HBO/Showtime. I said "Thats great, could you let DirecTV know?"

She was like "Huh?..... long pause..... oh.... I see you already terminated service...."

I'm sorry, but thats just so funny I had to post it...

As some might have ready I posted a couple pages back that I terminated my Uverse TV service (I did retain the internet, which I love) Well a day after terminating the service I got one of those "How did your service appointment last Sunday go?" survey emails.. which I filled out....

So I get a call back on it this past Friday. Not sure what department the woman was from but she appologised that I was still having problems and the tech was unable to fix them and offered me 6 months free HBO/Showtime. I said "Thats great, could you let DirecTV know?"

She was like "Huh?..... long pause..... oh.... I see you already terminated service...."

I'm sorry, but thats just so funny I had to post it...

228 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 12:03:58 PM
(0)
Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

While I didn't have the low volume/distortion problems did have severe lip sync issues about the same time everybody else did. They are now back in sync.

Didn't move this post to the "5.1 audio drop outs" thread since wanted to make sure my audio drops were gone first. Well they are back now but few and far between. While I may receive only 1 or 2 an hour they are much longer in duration (1-2 secs). I've noticed that sometimes I don't receive any drops at all on programs with 5.1 audio. So maybe there has been some improvement but they are not gone completely from my system.

Seems like every weekend there is some type of change to my signal/audio/TV systems. Can't figure out if they are changing something, sending out updates, etc.. Last night went to change a channel and received a "H1005 error" which is failed HDCP/HDMI connection. Haven't seen this is over a year and  haven't made one change to my HDMI connection from STB to HDTV. Did a hard reboot of STB and everything went back to normal. This issue may be completely different than my 5.1 audio drops that come through my HDMI connection to the TV audio. Strange.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

While I didn't have the low volume/distortion problems did have severe lip sync issues about the same time everybody else did. They are now back in sync.

Didn't move this post to the "5.1 audio drop outs" thread since wanted to make sure my audio drops were gone first. Well they are back now but few and far between. While I may receive only 1 or 2 an hour they are much longer in duration (1-2 secs). I've noticed that sometimes I don't receive any drops at all on programs with 5.1 audio. So maybe there has been some improvement but they are not gone completely from my system.

Seems like every weekend there is some type of change to my signal/audio/TV systems. Can't figure out if they are changing something, sending out updates, etc.. Last night went to change a channel and received a "H1005 error" which is failed HDCP/HDMI connection. Haven't seen this is over a year and  haven't made one change to my HDMI connection from STB to HDTV. Did a hard reboot of STB and everything went back to normal. This issue may be completely different than my 5.1 audio drops that come through my HDMI connection to the TV audio. Strange.

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

229 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 8:53:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Ditto here - all audio now fine except for dropouts.  Watching TBS they had Talladega Nights on & some of the dropouts were TERRBILE.  At least 2 seconds in some instances.  Hope it's not like that when I get to watching "The Pacicif" from my DVR tonight.  At least the volume is fixed though.

You'r HDMI error - did that lead to a snowy screen?  I've had that happen twice.  The most recent time was yesterday.  It didn't give me an error message though.  I just turned it on & snow was on the screen.  Rebooted & it was fine.

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Ditto here - all audio now fine except for dropouts.  Watching TBS they had Talladega Nights on & some of the dropouts were TERRBILE.  At least 2 seconds in some instances.  Hope it's not like that when I get to watching "The Pacicif" from my DVR tonight.  At least the volume is fixed though.

You'r HDMI error - did that lead to a snowy screen?  I've had that happen twice.  The most recent time was yesterday.  It didn't give me an error message though.  I just turned it on & snow was on the screen.  Rebooted & it was fine.

230 of 253 (177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 11:21:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

From some checking I did last night I noticed that the dial norm setting on some channels varied from -4 to +3.  That showed up for channels that didn't instantly display dolby digital on my AV receiver.

From some checking I did last night I noticed that the dial norm setting on some channels varied from -4 to +3.  That showed up for channels that didn't instantly display dolby digital on my AV receiver.

231 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 11:25:49 AM
(0)
Master

chris_s_p wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yeah, my audio drops are back full bore now and happen real frequently. Watched 2 movies on TNT yesterday and they were coming through the TV sound, or Sony AV receiver, like crazy. They're on all 5.1 audio programs again. Have STB set to surround sound. I need to check the stereo setting because I was even receiving audio drops when using it.

Reminds me of last year when they did an upgrade and everybody's 5.1 audio drops went away completely is using HDMI or optical connection. Only lasted for 2-3 weeks and then right back to normal/regular audio drops.

What's strange is that when lots of users were having low volume on DVR, and distorted audio, my audio drops completely went away. I never did have those problems but as they fixed them my audio drops came right back. Go figure....

Yeah, my TV went to "snow screen" when I received the H1005 error code. Can't remember if it was before or after the reboot but it kicked the input on my TV up to TV instead of receiver (STB). Was probably searching for any type of signal. It should be noted that my Sony HDTV (KDS-60A3000) is HDCP compliant and doesn't have a problem with using HDMI. Could be they sent out an update right when I received the error code. Who knows but these problems are getting more frustrating all the time.

Uniblurb3

chris_s_p wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Yeah, my audio drops are back full bore now and happen real frequently. Watched 2 movies on TNT yesterday and they were coming through the TV sound, or Sony AV receiver, like crazy. They're on all 5.1 audio programs again. Have STB set to surround sound. I need to check the stereo setting because I was even receiving audio drops when using it.

Reminds me of last year when they did an upgrade and everybody's 5.1 audio drops went away completely is using HDMI or optical connection. Only lasted for 2-3 weeks and then right back to normal/regular audio drops.

What's strange is that when lots of users were having low volume on DVR, and distorted audio, my audio drops completely went away. I never did have those problems but as they fixed them my audio drops came right back. Go figure....

Yeah, my TV went to "snow screen" when I received the H1005 error code. Can't remember if it was before or after the reboot but it kicked the input on my TV up to TV instead of receiver (STB). Was probably searching for any type of signal. It should be noted that my Sony HDTV (KDS-60A3000) is HDCP compliant and doesn't have a problem with using HDMI. Could be they sent out an update right when I received the error code. Who knows but these problems are getting more frustrating all the time.

Uniblurb3

232 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 1:37:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

What started all of this was an attempt to upgrade the sound from Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital Plus. It was a joint project between AT&T, Dolby Labs, and AT&T's hardware vendors.  They all thought it was ready based on their lab and field tests.  As we all know it turns out there were unforeseen bugs in the integration.  A permanent fix is now in place and everyone should be getting DD+ now.  Go to this link to read about DD+: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/understand/playback/dolby-digital-plus-details.html .  This upgrade was not intended to fix the drop-out 5.1 problem.  That issue is still being worked.  I first thought this volume drop problem was from "someone" at AT&T messing around where they shouldn't be.  I now know they were trying to make improvements for us but it didn't go as planned.  In my line of work I can fully understand how that happens even after your best laid plans.  I give the engineers (AT&T, Dolby, etc) an overall B- grade on this.  It was a rocky start but it looks like we got there.  If the upgrade had gone as they planned they would have gotten an A+ with a little extra credit for good measure.

What started all of this was an attempt to upgrade the sound from Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital Plus. It was a joint project between AT&T, Dolby Labs, and AT&T's hardware vendors.  They all thought it was ready based on their lab and field tests.  As we all know it turns out there were unforeseen bugs in the integration.  A permanent fix is now in place and everyone should be getting DD+ now.  Go to this link to read about DD+: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/understand/playback/dolby-digital-plus-details.html .  This upgrade was not intended to fix the drop-out 5.1 problem.  That issue is still being worked.  I first thought this volume drop problem was from "someone" at AT&T messing around where they shouldn't be.  I now know they were trying to make improvements for us but it didn't go as planned.  In my line of work I can fully understand how that happens even after your best laid plans.  I give the engineers (AT&T, Dolby, etc) an overall B- grade on this.  It was a rocky start but it looks like we got there.  If the upgrade had gone as they planned they would have gotten an A+ with a little extra credit for good measure.

233 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 5:09:08 PM
(0)
Expert

Diamond_Jim wrote:

Very nice.  I don't want to ask, but I'll assume your source for this information is reliable since you've been contacted by some people the rest of us have not.

I knew that a back-end codec change had to be to blame.  I was assuming the codec would be AAC, since that's part of the MPEG-4 specification, and would match the video (H.264), DD+ didn't enter my mind.  DD+ is never used on Blu-Ray, if you want something better than standard Dolby Digital on a Blu-Ray, typically Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio is used, which are lossless.  But these are too high of a bit rate for use in broadcast TV or other bandwidth-limited environments.

DD+ was the primary codec used on HD-DVD, but even there it's bitrate was too high for use in a system like U-Verse.

But, using DD+, they can probably get DD 640kbps quality using DD+ at 320 kbps or even 256 kbps, thus saving a small amount of bitrate, consistent with the reductions I've seen.  This also improves the quality, and it means that the STB is transcoding the DD+ to DD as well.

Diamond_Jim wrote:

Very nice.  I don't want to ask, but I'll assume your source for this information is reliable since you've been contacted by some people the rest of us have not.

I knew that a back-end codec change had to be to blame.  I was assuming the codec would be AAC, since that's part of the MPEG-4 specification, and would match the video (H.264), DD+ didn't enter my mind.  DD+ is never used on Blu-Ray, if you want something better than standard Dolby Digital on a Blu-Ray, typically Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio is used, which are lossless.  But these are too high of a bit rate for use in broadcast TV or other bandwidth-limited environments.

DD+ was the primary codec used on HD-DVD, but even there it's bitrate was too high for use in a system like U-Verse.

But, using DD+, they can probably get DD 640kbps quality using DD+ at 320 kbps or even 256 kbps, thus saving a small amount of bitrate, consistent with the reductions I've seen.  This also improves the quality, and it means that the STB is transcoding the DD+ to DD as well.

234 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 5:39:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I hope what you are saying is accurate.  Not that I am saying it isn't the truth, but we I have read many posts of explanations and solutions in the past.  It does seem like something like that could have happened.  I guess the proof will be when people begin posting the volume drop issue is gone.

I hope what you are saying is accurate.  Not that I am saying it isn't the truth, but we I have read many posts of explanations and solutions in the past.  It does seem like something like that could have happened.  I guess the proof will be when people begin posting the volume drop issue is gone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

235 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 3:11:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

Diamond_Jim wrote:

You are being more generous than I would be with the B- which is a grade I would have given had all customers been notified of work in progress PRIOR to having issues and spending a WHOLE LOT of our own time trying to figure out what was wrong with our systems. My time is VERY valuable to me and I would have chosen to use it differently had I KNOWN about the possibility of issues ahead of time. I mean, really, they don't have a problem putting a frigging pizza ad up or a notice that there has been a new feature added so why not a notice that an issue is being worked on and problems COULD be experienced.

Diamond_Jim wrote:

You are being more generous than I would be with the B- which is a grade I would have given had all customers been notified of work in progress PRIOR to having issues and spending a WHOLE LOT of our own time trying to figure out what was wrong with our systems. My time is VERY valuable to me and I would have chosen to use it differently had I KNOWN about the possibility of issues ahead of time. I mean, really, they don't have a problem putting a frigging pizza ad up or a notice that there has been a new feature added so why not a notice that an issue is being worked on and problems COULD be experienced.

The new forum sucks.

236 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 7:58:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

Same here.

1 - They could have rolled back the change more immediately and then tried to replicate the issue in the lab instead of hosing their customers for the prolonged period of time.

2 - They could have given us proactive status information instead of forcing us to call iniitally, and then call again to check if any progress was made.

3 - They could proactively post upgrade info on a channel so we at least know what might be coming down the pipe.

4 - They need to keep their entire support organization more informed so we don't have to do that for them.  We should not need to spend 20 minutes convincing support that there is a known problem occurring each time we call back.  This one is really the deal breaker for the customer experience and should have been addressed a long time ago.

All combined.... a big F coming from a IT person who deals with the same kind of challenges for our own services to our user community.   Jobs would be lost if our UVerse experience was replicated at work.

I am happy that the major issue has been resolved... now if the dropouts can get fixed soon :smileywink:

Same here.

1 - They could have rolled back the change more immediately and then tried to replicate the issue in the lab instead of hosing their customers for the prolonged period of time.

2 - They could have given us proactive status information instead of forcing us to call iniitally, and then call again to check if any progress was made.

3 - They could proactively post upgrade info on a channel so we at least know what might be coming down the pipe.

4 - They need to keep their entire support organization more informed so we don't have to do that for them.  We should not need to spend 20 minutes convincing support that there is a known problem occurring each time we call back.  This one is really the deal breaker for the customer experience and should have been addressed a long time ago.

All combined.... a big F coming from a IT person who deals with the same kind of challenges for our own services to our user community.   Jobs would be lost if our UVerse experience was replicated at work.

I am happy that the major issue has been resolved... now if the dropouts can get fixed soon :smileywink:

237 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 8:31:35 AM
(0)
Mentor

Banzai wrote:

Same here.

I agree. Anyplace else and heads would have rolled as soon as replacements were found. I also wonder how much money this cost AT&T in concessions to the customers who DID call in.

Banzai wrote:

Same here.

I agree. Anyplace else and heads would have rolled as soon as replacements were found. I also wonder how much money this cost AT&T in concessions to the customers who DID call in.

The new forum sucks.

238 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 11:03:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yes, the source is very reliable and in fact is part of the team involved with the upgrade.  I told them I would not give a name or email because I knew they would be swamped with emails.  I can understand what happened with this upgrade because in my line of work the same things happens all too often.  Don't blame the engineering folks.  They never intended for this to happen and believed they had done enough tests to insure it wouldn't.  You can only do so many tests in the lab and with a small control sample.  If your "acceptance tests" all execute error free you have to assume its ready to push out to everyone.  When they learned there were problems they teamed up with their hardware and software vendors to work a fix.  I don't know if they contacted anyone other than me but they did get in touch with me.  I worked with them to tell them problems I was having which helped to track down the bugs and get them worked out.  That really boosted my opinion of them.  So, my B- grade for the engineers still stands.  But I also agree that a simple posting in the forum from someone in Customer Support briefly explaining what happened and that the issue was being worked would have done wonders.  Customer Support (or who ever) gets a grade of F and a week in detention.

Yes, the source is very reliable and in fact is part of the team involved with the upgrade.  I told them I would not give a name or email because I knew they would be swamped with emails.  I can understand what happened with this upgrade because in my line of work the same things happens all too often.  Don't blame the engineering folks.  They never intended for this to happen and believed they had done enough tests to insure it wouldn't.  You can only do so many tests in the lab and with a small control sample.  If your "acceptance tests" all execute error free you have to assume its ready to push out to everyone.  When they learned there were problems they teamed up with their hardware and software vendors to work a fix.  I don't know if they contacted anyone other than me but they did get in touch with me.  I worked with them to tell them problems I was having which helped to track down the bugs and get them worked out.  That really boosted my opinion of them.  So, my B- grade for the engineers still stands.  But I also agree that a simple posting in the forum from someone in Customer Support briefly explaining what happened and that the issue was being worked would have done wonders.  Customer Support (or who ever) gets a grade of F and a week in detention.

239 of 253 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2010 11:27:01 AM
(0)
Expert

Diamond_Jim wrote:

Yes, the source is very reliable and in fact is part of the team involved with the upgrade.  I told them I would not give a name or email because I knew they would be swamped with emails.  I can understand what happened with this upgrade because in my line of work the same things happens all too often.  Don't blame the engineering folks.  They never intended for this to happen and believed they had done enough tests to insure it wouldn't.  You can only do so many tests in the lab and with a small control sample.  If your "acceptance tests" all execute error free you have to assume its ready to push out to everyone. 

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that.

Black box testing should be part of a testing program, but by itself is insufficient.  Precisely because you can't test every possible audio receiver is why you can't rely on a small sample of receivers to ensure that your changes are ready.

Dolby has testing equipment that can certify that a Dolby Digital bitstream is 100% compliant with the specs.  One hookup to that testing device would have immediately red-flagged the missing dialnorm value and told everyone that the stream was out-of-spec.

The fact that this wasn't done is why the engineers also get an "F".

Diamond_Jim wrote:

Yes, the source is very reliable and in fact is part of the team involved with the upgrade.  I told them I would not give a name or email because I knew they would be swamped with emails.  I can understand what happened with this upgrade because in my line of work the same things happens all too often.  Don't blame the engineering folks.  They never intended for this to happen and believed they had done enough tests to insure it wouldn't.  You can only do so many tests in the lab and with a small control sample.  If your "acceptance tests" all execute error free you have to assume its ready to push out to everyone. 

Sorry, but I have to disagree with that.

Black box testing should be part of a testing program, but by itself is insufficient.  Precisely because you can't test every possible audio receiver is why you can't rely on a small sample of receivers to ensure that your changes are ready.

Dolby has testing equipment that can certify that a Dolby Digital bitstream is 100% compliant with the specs.  One hookup to that testing device would have immediately red-flagged the missing dialnorm value and told everyone that the stream was out-of-spec.

The fact that this wasn't done is why the engineers also get an "F".

240 of 253 (187 Views)