Posted Apr 7, 2010
1:50:48 PM
Volume dropped on DVR

I called Uverse yesterday to get a confirmation number to return one of my STB's I'm not using anymore.  I received the number and then the person told me she was going to waive my $10 HD fee for 6 months.  I'm not sure why but I wasn't going to put up a fuss :smileyhappy:.  Later last night I turned everything on and the volume was down so low I could not hear anything.  I normally listen at about the -40dB range on my Yamaha.  I had to go up to about +10dB on the volume setting to be able to hear.  I NEVER go that high with the volume (normally).  I should have seen the furniture moving!   I checked the Moto DVR volume setting and it was still at the maximum setting of 25.  Rebooted the DVR - no change.  Rebooted the RG - no change.  Recycled the Yamaha - no change.  Checked other inputs (CD, PS3, etc) and volume was fine.  I changed the DVR from Surround to Stereo and the volume is normal again.  Normally, being in Stereo dropped the volume a few dB's from Surround.  Last night it was just the opposite, by a MUCH higher margin.

So, did something happen when I disconnected the unused STB?  Did my account get changed somehow at Uverse when it was changed by the Tech to de-activate the STB?  Is the DVR bad and the timing is just a coincidence?  I haven't called Tech Support yet - thought I'd ask here just in case I'd done something stupid. 

Any ideas on this one...? 

252 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(252)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2010 8:48:55 PM
(0)
Contributor

Add me to the list- McKinney, TX. I've had the audio drop outs for about two or three years, and then a couple weeks ago the surround sound from the Yamaha amp dropped to nothing. Everything is set to stereo for the time being.

Two hours on the phone with Tier II and Retentions got me $10 off for six months and HBO for three months.

The Tier I guy of course had no idea of the problem, The Tier II guy was also just as useless-- I asked him to check out this thread and then he stopped asking me to reset my boxes, etc etc..

The Tier II told me that they have no access to a database of other customer's complaints, he can only do a neighborhood search to see if anyone close to me is having similar issues. What kind of support group doesnt share information with eachother?

I just received a call back from him after he spoke with his manager and he thinks the fix could be out next week, but seriously how many times did we hear that about the 5.1 drop outs?

Add me to the list- McKinney, TX. I've had the audio drop outs for about two or three years, and then a couple weeks ago the surround sound from the Yamaha amp dropped to nothing. Everything is set to stereo for the time being.

Two hours on the phone with Tier II and Retentions got me $10 off for six months and HBO for three months.

The Tier I guy of course had no idea of the problem, The Tier II guy was also just as useless-- I asked him to check out this thread and then he stopped asking me to reset my boxes, etc etc..

The Tier II told me that they have no access to a database of other customer's complaints, he can only do a neighborhood search to see if anyone close to me is having similar issues. What kind of support group doesnt share information with eachother?

I just received a call back from him after he spoke with his manager and he thinks the fix could be out next week, but seriously how many times did we hear that about the 5.1 drop outs?

Re: Volume dropped on DVR

121 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2010 2:15:56 AM
(0)
Guru

I'm using an Onkyo receiver and do not have this issue.  I am counting my blessings.....

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

I'm using an Onkyo receiver and do not have this issue.  I am counting my blessings.....

Sent from my iPhone 4

122 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 3:26:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

I also have an Onkyo receiver and experience the problem only on my rear surrounds and only while using the THX listening mode. When it first started, I thought I had blown my 2 rear speakers, but when I switched inputs, it was ok. I was watching Fox the first time I had the problem and for a day or two, that's the only place I encountered it. I started exchanging e-mails with the local Fox engineer and what was funny, they DID have a sound issue on the day I first noticed the problem. Something to do with their encoder doing a restart. Then I started to get the distortion on other stations. It is not there all the time, just when there is a lot of surround activity. Mostly action scenes and music. The worst is the Fox show Glee. They mix that with heavy rear sounds for some reason and it is really bad. Fortunately, I can just switch my mode and the distortion goes away, but it still doesn't sound like it did before. Balance and tone is way off. I'm just glad it's not my speakers.

I also have an Onkyo receiver and experience the problem only on my rear surrounds and only while using the THX listening mode. When it first started, I thought I had blown my 2 rear speakers, but when I switched inputs, it was ok. I was watching Fox the first time I had the problem and for a day or two, that's the only place I encountered it. I started exchanging e-mails with the local Fox engineer and what was funny, they DID have a sound issue on the day I first noticed the problem. Something to do with their encoder doing a restart. Then I started to get the distortion on other stations. It is not there all the time, just when there is a lot of surround activity. Mostly action scenes and music. The worst is the Fox show Glee. They mix that with heavy rear sounds for some reason and it is really bad. Fortunately, I can just switch my mode and the distortion goes away, but it still doesn't sound like it did before. Balance and tone is way off. I'm just glad it's not my speakers.

123 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 5:11:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello all,

thank goodness I found this thread, as I spent two evenings trying to troubleshoot this, thinking the dog bumped something on the receiver, and/or the STB went bad. (add me to the list of Pioneer VSX-1018AH)

My question is:  I'd really really prefer NOT to have to call AT&T to complain so I get some 6-month discount/credit.... can I be lazy and do the online chat and get someone that way to authorize this?

Thanks,

Brian

Hello all,

thank goodness I found this thread, as I spent two evenings trying to troubleshoot this, thinking the dog bumped something on the receiver, and/or the STB went bad. (add me to the list of Pioneer VSX-1018AH)

My question is:  I'd really really prefer NOT to have to call AT&T to complain so I get some 6-month discount/credit.... can I be lazy and do the online chat and get someone that way to authorize this?

Thanks,

Brian

124 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 8:09:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

The online chat folks are limited in what they can do in terms of credits.  You would need to talk to the retentions department who would deal with retention credits and not the technical issues themselves.   You could call the main cust svc number and then be asked to transfer to retentions.

The online chat folks are limited in what they can do in terms of credits.  You would need to talk to the retentions department who would deal with retention credits and not the technical issues themselves.   You could call the main cust svc number and then be asked to transfer to retentions.

125 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 8:13:18 AM
(0)
Scholar

Click_clack,

You might not be having it because your DVR or STB has its digital output set to stereo.   That is the temporary workaround for this issue anyways.  Check that setting.  You might be missing out on getting 5.1 output once the problem is fixed.

Click_clack,

You might not be having it because your DVR or STB has its digital output set to stereo.   That is the temporary workaround for this issue anyways.  Check that setting.  You might be missing out on getting 5.1 output once the problem is fixed.

126 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2010 8:43:46 AM
(0)
Guru

Banzai wrote:

Click_clack,

No, my DVR is set to surround.  I do get a bit of audio drop when it is dolby, not much to get my dander up, tho, or maybe I am just used to it.

What I replied to was that I did not get the volume drop on HD this thread is referring to.  And I am still counting my blessings on it.....

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

Banzai wrote:

Click_clack,

No, my DVR is set to surround.  I do get a bit of audio drop when it is dolby, not much to get my dander up, tho, or maybe I am just used to it.

What I replied to was that I did not get the volume drop on HD this thread is referring to.  And I am still counting my blessings on it.....

Sent from my iPhone 4

127 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 9:10:48 AM
(0)
Scholar

Based on the nature of this problem, we would not expect anyone to be ok unless they somehow were missed by the updates that may have caused the issue.  Hence the question about the digital output setting.  And you are connected via HDMI or optical for sound to your AV receiver?

Based on the nature of this problem, we would not expect anyone to be ok unless they somehow were missed by the updates that may have caused the issue.  Hence the question about the digital output setting.  And you are connected via HDMI or optical for sound to your AV receiver?

128 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 9:32:34 AM
(0)
Expert

Everyone's Dolby Digital stream is affected, on optical or HDMI.

The differences in what it sounds like depend on the AV receiver.  There are some AV receivers that will have distortion, others that will just have low volume, some that have both problems, and some that have neither problem.  It depends on how the DD decoder chipset in the AV receiver reacts when the dialnorm value is missing.

Regardless of that fact that there may be some AV receivers that aren't affected, the Dolby Digital specification requires the dialnorm value to be in the compressed audio stream.  If it isn't there, the stream is out of spec and non-compliant.

If worst comes to worst, I will register a complaint with Dolby.  Dolby Labs are ruthless when it comes to the licensing agreement for their double-D logo.  The Dolby Digital symbol/trademark is on the front of the Motorola VIP 1200/1216/1225.  If it's brought to Dolby's attention that the STB is putting out a non-compliant stream, Dolby will yank AT&T's logo licensing agreement quicker than a dropout occurs. :smileyhappy:

Everyone's Dolby Digital stream is affected, on optical or HDMI.

The differences in what it sounds like depend on the AV receiver.  There are some AV receivers that will have distortion, others that will just have low volume, some that have both problems, and some that have neither problem.  It depends on how the DD decoder chipset in the AV receiver reacts when the dialnorm value is missing.

Regardless of that fact that there may be some AV receivers that aren't affected, the Dolby Digital specification requires the dialnorm value to be in the compressed audio stream.  If it isn't there, the stream is out of spec and non-compliant.

If worst comes to worst, I will register a complaint with Dolby.  Dolby Labs are ruthless when it comes to the licensing agreement for their double-D logo.  The Dolby Digital symbol/trademark is on the front of the Motorola VIP 1200/1216/1225.  If it's brought to Dolby's attention that the STB is putting out a non-compliant stream, Dolby will yank AT&T's logo licensing agreement quicker than a dropout occurs. :smileyhappy:

129 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 23, 2010 11:07:13 AM
(0)
Guru

Banzai wrote:

FWIW (based on SomeJoe's reply) optical from dvr to AV receiver.

Banzai wrote:

FWIW (based on SomeJoe's reply) optical from dvr to AV receiver.

Sent from my iPhone 4

130 of 253 (174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 11:19:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

I didn't think about the possibility that some AV receivers would not have a perceptible issue.  If that is the case for you, then that is great.  I don't think my old AV receiver had significant audio drop out issues, but the new one (Pioneer) certainly has the current low volume/distortion issue.

I didn't think about the possibility that some AV receivers would not have a perceptible issue.  If that is the case for you, then that is great.  I don't think my old AV receiver had significant audio drop out issues, but the new one (Pioneer) certainly has the current low volume/distortion issue.

131 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 6:15:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

My pioneer is giving me issues as well.  Has to be a software issue.  It was working fine until about 3 weeks ago.

My pioneer is giving me issues as well.  Has to be a software issue.  It was working fine until about 3 weeks ago.

132 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 7:58:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

I also have this issue.

I finally decided to make a post (had to register with the forum) just to add in my comments. First, I watch a ton of HD content each week on ABC, CBS, etc. and of course cable type channels such as Syfy, Spike, etc.

I have a Samsung LED DLP and Yamaha surround receiver (very nice setup) and I love high quality sound. I used HDMI from my DVR to the TV and then optical for sound from the DVR to receiver. I noticed a few weeks ago that some of my DVR'd programs were having the extremely low drop in volume, virtually made me double check one of the early posters when he said he had yamaha receiver, etc. as it sounded as if I had typed it, lol. So anyways, yea at first I thought it was some crap to do with like CBS or NBC or something, then I noticed as I watched my DVR programs that is was across all the lower tier HD channels... and just like everybody else, a week or two ago now it spread to all the expanded HD channels =*(

When I first encountered the problem, I immediately went in and checked some items on the sound, like stereo and surround options and found that if I switched to 2.1 that sound was great. This let me know right away this was a problem with the 5.1 sound and not the receiver because switching streams on the DVR fixing the issue wouldn't mean my receiver suddenly went belly up on the dolby digital chip or something, haha. Another thing was that I had noticed in the past how the DVR menu sounds only show up in Stereo mode, I have no menu sounds in surround sound option, which I thought was strange. Finally, I also wanted to point out I've always had those drops outs everybody speaks of where I lose volume for a split second on live and DVR'd programs. I've had ATT u200 service for about 2.5 months now.

Hope this helps confirm what everybody here already knows, that this really sucks!!!! =*(

I also have this issue.

I finally decided to make a post (had to register with the forum) just to add in my comments. First, I watch a ton of HD content each week on ABC, CBS, etc. and of course cable type channels such as Syfy, Spike, etc.

I have a Samsung LED DLP and Yamaha surround receiver (very nice setup) and I love high quality sound. I used HDMI from my DVR to the TV and then optical for sound from the DVR to receiver. I noticed a few weeks ago that some of my DVR'd programs were having the extremely low drop in volume, virtually made me double check one of the early posters when he said he had yamaha receiver, etc. as it sounded as if I had typed it, lol. So anyways, yea at first I thought it was some crap to do with like CBS or NBC or something, then I noticed as I watched my DVR programs that is was across all the lower tier HD channels... and just like everybody else, a week or two ago now it spread to all the expanded HD channels =*(

When I first encountered the problem, I immediately went in and checked some items on the sound, like stereo and surround options and found that if I switched to 2.1 that sound was great. This let me know right away this was a problem with the 5.1 sound and not the receiver because switching streams on the DVR fixing the issue wouldn't mean my receiver suddenly went belly up on the dolby digital chip or something, haha. Another thing was that I had noticed in the past how the DVR menu sounds only show up in Stereo mode, I have no menu sounds in surround sound option, which I thought was strange. Finally, I also wanted to point out I've always had those drops outs everybody speaks of where I lose volume for a split second on live and DVR'd programs. I've had ATT u200 service for about 2.5 months now.

Hope this helps confirm what everybody here already knows, that this really sucks!!!! =*(

133 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2010 9:27:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have distortion but no sound level drop... Pioneer 1019AH-K

BTW... dont let them convince you on the $10/month x 6  + HBO... these are their regular promotions you can ask for every 6 months anyways

I asked for more and after speaking to a bunch of people, got significantly more... Make them understand that you do not pay ~$100 for SD and $10 for HD... you pay $110 for HD... nobody gives a crap about SD these days (at least not people with surround sound systems worth a darn)

I have distortion but no sound level drop... Pioneer 1019AH-K

BTW... dont let them convince you on the $10/month x 6  + HBO... these are their regular promotions you can ask for every 6 months anyways

I asked for more and after speaking to a bunch of people, got significantly more... Make them understand that you do not pay ~$100 for SD and $10 for HD... you pay $110 for HD... nobody gives a crap about SD these days (at least not people with surround sound systems worth a darn)

134 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 12:19:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am so thankful I found this forum and this topic. Driving me nuts for a week or so now. I am wondering if any of you guys with a Pioneer reciever (like me VSX-1019AH) have had the opportunity to swap it fout with another brand just to see if it changes anything. I have switched STB, cables (HDMI and Optical) to try and remedy and no change. However, my other set-up with an older Sony reciever and optical cable has no problems whatsoever in decoding 5.1. Both are set to "surround sound". Why is it only affecting my Pioneer system?? I am worried that this problem is more pronounced with certain brands of equipment (most of the folks jumping into this discussion have a Pioneer or Yamah). I am considering going to Best Buy today and purchasing (then returning) some other unit just to see what happens. Anyone out there try a different receiver yet??

Thanks so much for your info throughout this discussion.

I am so thankful I found this forum and this topic. Driving me nuts for a week or so now. I am wondering if any of you guys with a Pioneer reciever (like me VSX-1019AH) have had the opportunity to swap it fout with another brand just to see if it changes anything. I have switched STB, cables (HDMI and Optical) to try and remedy and no change. However, my other set-up with an older Sony reciever and optical cable has no problems whatsoever in decoding 5.1. Both are set to "surround sound". Why is it only affecting my Pioneer system?? I am worried that this problem is more pronounced with certain brands of equipment (most of the folks jumping into this discussion have a Pioneer or Yamah). I am considering going to Best Buy today and purchasing (then returning) some other unit just to see what happens. Anyone out there try a different receiver yet??

Thanks so much for your info throughout this discussion.

135 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 1:05:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Called uverse support, still not working, my details below:

Today I finally contact U-verse support, I explained EVERYTHING to them, haha, in detail and they eventually had somebody they were chatting with who was a 'specialist' and he wanted to me try not using HDMI for video... since U-verse is just 1080i, I figured no big deal, I'll switch it out with some high quality monoprice component cables I had laying around. Since this would take a few minutes, the tech support would let me go to help another customer and call back. When she called back, she let me know right away that she knew that it would not fix my problem as her and the specialist did research and found that 'hdmi and optical' + surround is one of the many 'known issues' affecting U-verse right now. I'd like to also add Component Video + Optical + surround sound mode is also an issue for me, haha.

I wanted to add that I called a friend of mine and I realize why this issue may not be as well known to most people. It seems that even though he is tech savy, his Sony reciever will do some auto-upconvert type thing with non-5.1 audio. So he was not aware of the digital sound option and switching it to surround. So he has always used it on stereo and received the 5.1 sound out since his receiver was doing the upconvert for him. Anyways, he went ahead and switched it over and got no sound on the HD channels. So now he is aware of the issue.

It sucks that when the installers come out and setup your Uverse that many aren't configure the advance options. I had a similar problem in the past when I first bought an HDTV and I had the 'white glove' installation service with Time Warner and their most advanced HD package... I thought things looked funny, but hey 67 inch tv maybe you will see a little fuze... after about 4-6 weeks I got the gumption to look into things as my TV always reported it was showing ???x480 resolution and I was like this can't be high-def... turns out you have to enable it similar to U-verse receivers and I had been paying about 100 a month for the cable tv portion of my bill and watching standard def the whole time... lol. Anyways, I wish these installers would enable the surround sound mode when setting it up for folks, we'd have a lot more people pissed off about now and maybe this issue would be fixed, hehe.

Called uverse support, still not working, my details below:

Today I finally contact U-verse support, I explained EVERYTHING to them, haha, in detail and they eventually had somebody they were chatting with who was a 'specialist' and he wanted to me try not using HDMI for video... since U-verse is just 1080i, I figured no big deal, I'll switch it out with some high quality monoprice component cables I had laying around. Since this would take a few minutes, the tech support would let me go to help another customer and call back. When she called back, she let me know right away that she knew that it would not fix my problem as her and the specialist did research and found that 'hdmi and optical' + surround is one of the many 'known issues' affecting U-verse right now. I'd like to also add Component Video + Optical + surround sound mode is also an issue for me, haha.

I wanted to add that I called a friend of mine and I realize why this issue may not be as well known to most people. It seems that even though he is tech savy, his Sony reciever will do some auto-upconvert type thing with non-5.1 audio. So he was not aware of the digital sound option and switching it to surround. So he has always used it on stereo and received the 5.1 sound out since his receiver was doing the upconvert for him. Anyways, he went ahead and switched it over and got no sound on the HD channels. So now he is aware of the issue.

It sucks that when the installers come out and setup your Uverse that many aren't configure the advance options. I had a similar problem in the past when I first bought an HDTV and I had the 'white glove' installation service with Time Warner and their most advanced HD package... I thought things looked funny, but hey 67 inch tv maybe you will see a little fuze... after about 4-6 weeks I got the gumption to look into things as my TV always reported it was showing ???x480 resolution and I was like this can't be high-def... turns out you have to enable it similar to U-verse receivers and I had been paying about 100 a month for the cable tv portion of my bill and watching standard def the whole time... lol. Anyways, I wish these installers would enable the surround sound mode when setting it up for folks, we'd have a lot more people pissed off about now and maybe this issue would be fixed, hehe.

136 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 2:38:12 PM
(0)
Expert

curtb wrote:

I am considering going to Best Buy today and purchasing (then returning) some other unit just to see what happens. Anyone out there try a different receiver yet??

At least one person in the thread reported that their Onkyo was not having any issues with the digital audio.

curtb wrote:

I am considering going to Best Buy today and purchasing (then returning) some other unit just to see what happens. Anyone out there try a different receiver yet??

At least one person in the thread reported that their Onkyo was not having any issues with the digital audio.

137 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2010 3:01:21 PM
(0)
Guru

I have an Onkyo and I do not have the volume dorp issue but I do have the split second drop issue but it does not bother me very much to be upset about it.  Wish it would work perfectly but does anything?  I do not know if the receiver is handling it better than others or I'm just used to it....FWIW.

I have an Onkyo and I do not have the volume dorp issue but I do have the split second drop issue but it does not bother me very much to be upset about it.  Wish it would work perfectly but does anything?  I do not know if the receiver is handling it better than others or I'm just used to it....FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone 4

138 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 3:09:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

I noticed over the past couple of weeks that I never get the split second drop over Stereo. My friend who thought his was on surround by default for HD and has been using Stereo was also unaware of the split second dropping of sound that has plagued me since day 1 and everybody else. I like others figured nothing is perfect so I never complained about the split second dropping but did mention it once I got fed up with the latest issue in sound.

As I said before, it makes me wonder how many even know about the surround sound option and just assume it is already working so they are experiencing none of these sound/audio issues that appear to plague EVERY u-verse customer, aka the split second sound dropping problem.

I noticed over the past couple of weeks that I never get the split second drop over Stereo. My friend who thought his was on surround by default for HD and has been using Stereo was also unaware of the split second dropping of sound that has plagued me since day 1 and everybody else. I like others figured nothing is perfect so I never complained about the split second dropping but did mention it once I got fed up with the latest issue in sound.

As I said before, it makes me wonder how many even know about the surround sound option and just assume it is already working so they are experiencing none of these sound/audio issues that appear to plague EVERY u-verse customer, aka the split second sound dropping problem.

139 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 4:55:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T is definitely doing something about this issue.  They're making it worse.  When it started a few weeks ago, I only had corrupted dialogue audio with surround sound on local HD channels.  Now, it's happening on every HD channel.

AT&T is definitely doing something about this issue.  They're making it worse.  When it started a few weeks ago, I only had corrupted dialogue audio with surround sound on local HD channels.  Now, it's happening on every HD channel.

140 of 253 (73 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 6:38:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

Same here Nathan.  My locals were the only ones giving me fits.  Now, it's all of the HD channels.  I hope they fix this soon!!!

Same here Nathan.  My locals were the only ones giving me fits.  Now, it's all of the HD channels.  I hope they fix this soon!!!

141 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 6:52:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It really looks like some kind of rollout is being released regionally.  I would imagine that the fix will rollout regionally as well. 

Has anybody, mainly those who experienced the problem in the beginning, heard any improvements in your audio levels? 

It really looks like some kind of rollout is being released regionally.  I would imagine that the fix will rollout regionally as well. 

Has anybody, mainly those who experienced the problem in the beginning, heard any improvements in your audio levels? 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

142 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 7:21:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi guys,

I too am glad I found this thread.  I found out about the audio drop out problem shortly after getting Uverse and now I too have the low volume/distortion problem that has only just shown up in the last couple of weeks.  I too am using a Pioneer SC-05 receiver.  The tech support guys keep trying to get me to use RCA cables instead of hdmi or optical.. that's really making me mad that they don't know what they are talking about.  Also, I have noticed no improvement/difference with hdmi vs. optical.  I really don't think that $10 a month is going to cut it for having to deal with this nonsense.  Why have you guys stuck with Uverse??

Hi guys,

I too am glad I found this thread.  I found out about the audio drop out problem shortly after getting Uverse and now I too have the low volume/distortion problem that has only just shown up in the last couple of weeks.  I too am using a Pioneer SC-05 receiver.  The tech support guys keep trying to get me to use RCA cables instead of hdmi or optical.. that's really making me mad that they don't know what they are talking about.  Also, I have noticed no improvement/difference with hdmi vs. optical.  I really don't think that $10 a month is going to cut it for having to deal with this nonsense.  Why have you guys stuck with Uverse??

143 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2010 11:06:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

When I go to a Dolby 5.1 HD channel my Yamaha Reciever displays -27dB Dial Normal.  On an old HD recording it Displays -2dB Dial Normal so someyhing has changed I can run full volume and it is just loud not blow you out the doors loud as it should be.  Hope they fix it soon until it is I will only watch movies on my blu-ray player.

Dennis

When I go to a Dolby 5.1 HD channel my Yamaha Reciever displays -27dB Dial Normal.  On an old HD recording it Displays -2dB Dial Normal so someyhing has changed I can run full volume and it is just loud not blow you out the doors loud as it should be.  Hope they fix it soon until it is I will only watch movies on my blu-ray player.

Dennis

144 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 6:30:10 AM
(0)
Contributor
Add me to the list of frustrated Uverse customers. Last week AT&T must have changed something in the Detroit market. I have a pioneer vsx-9040thx and it has been working great for 2 months, until last week. I was watching a recorded HD show, surround sound was working, I switched back to live HD signal and got the low volume high distortion issue many others are reporting. Since then the problem is constant on HD channels. I switched to stereo mode for now but this is rediculous.
Add me to the list of frustrated Uverse customers. Last week AT&T must have changed something in the Detroit market. I have a pioneer vsx-9040thx and it has been working great for 2 months, until last week. I was watching a recorded HD show, surround sound was working, I switched back to live HD signal and got the low volume high distortion issue many others are reporting. Since then the problem is constant on HD channels. I switched to stereo mode for now but this is rediculous.

145 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 6:33:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes,I have the same problem . ATT came and replaced the box and the optical cable ,no help.

Last night the audio returned to normal ,I had surround Sound. Wow problem sloved.Not so fast ,Got up this morning and turned on the TV and my problem has returned,No Surround Sound.

Called ATT Tech Support and now they tell me the have a Revision C box that should solve the problem.

I told them my box was replaced with no help ,they stated that their records do not show what Revision letter my box was replaced with.

This is my last try and if this does not work I am going back to Comcast, It worked fine for years on Comcast .

Yes,I have the same problem . ATT came and replaced the box and the optical cable ,no help.

Last night the audio returned to normal ,I had surround Sound. Wow problem sloved.Not so fast ,Got up this morning and turned on the TV and my problem has returned,No Surround Sound.

Called ATT Tech Support and now they tell me the have a Revision C box that should solve the problem.

I told them my box was replaced with no help ,they stated that their records do not show what Revision letter my box was replaced with.

This is my last try and if this does not work I am going back to Comcast, It worked fine for years on Comcast .

146 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 6:33:43 AM
(0)
Contributor
Also I can verify that optical vs hdmi makes no difference and swapping stb's doesn't help. It must be a global firmware change as it affects all 4 of my stb's.
Also I can verify that optical vs hdmi makes no difference and swapping stb's doesn't help. It must be a global firmware change as it affects all 4 of my stb's.

147 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 7:56:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, i really wish ATT could spread the word.. It should be known this is:

a nationwide problems

effects only some receiver models due to different decoding,

HDMI and Optical both have the problem

This is a firmware issue; not a STB issue, not a Receiver issue, not a Hookup issue. ATT should be responsible for any additional cables purchased or use of their service Connect Tech (if they advised that when you call into tech support) A single tech wide  memo is not a difficult concept but there is no communication involved in this company.

The reason i stay with Uverse for now, is beacause DirecTV has even worse customer service... And i refuse to have a contract again for TV... my only other option is Time Warner Cable.. after talking to uverse for a while (spoke to probably 15-20 people) i finally got someone to credit my account with what i agree to be an acceptable adjustment (not that $10x6 or any of that garbage)

Yeah, i really wish ATT could spread the word.. It should be known this is:

a nationwide problems

effects only some receiver models due to different decoding,

HDMI and Optical both have the problem

This is a firmware issue; not a STB issue, not a Receiver issue, not a Hookup issue. ATT should be responsible for any additional cables purchased or use of their service Connect Tech (if they advised that when you call into tech support) A single tech wide  memo is not a difficult concept but there is no communication involved in this company.

The reason i stay with Uverse for now, is beacause DirecTV has even worse customer service... And i refuse to have a contract again for TV... my only other option is Time Warner Cable.. after talking to uverse for a while (spoke to probably 15-20 people) i finally got someone to credit my account with what i agree to be an acceptable adjustment (not that $10x6 or any of that garbage)

148 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 11:49:06 AM
(0)
Teacher

RCSMG wrote:

No improvments here for me in CA - all HD channels still low in level (not noticing much distortion, just the volume is too low).  Just like the others - I experienced it immediately after the system update with the local HD channels, then later in the month with all HD channels being affected.

RCSMG wrote:

No improvments here for me in CA - all HD channels still low in level (not noticing much distortion, just the volume is too low).  Just like the others - I experienced it immediately after the system update with the local HD channels, then later in the month with all HD channels being affected.

149 of 253 (75 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2010 12:32:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

No improvements here for me  in Knoxville TN.

No improvements here for me  in Knoxville TN.

150 of 253 (75 Views)