Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 7, 2010
1:50:48 PM
Volume dropped on DVR

I called Uverse yesterday to get a confirmation number to return one of my STB's I'm not using anymore.  I received the number and then the person told me she was going to waive my $10 HD fee for 6 months.  I'm not sure why but I wasn't going to put up a fuss :smileyhappy:.  Later last night I turned everything on and the volume was down so low I could not hear anything.  I normally listen at about the -40dB range on my Yamaha.  I had to go up to about +10dB on the volume setting to be able to hear.  I NEVER go that high with the volume (normally).  I should have seen the furniture moving!   I checked the Moto DVR volume setting and it was still at the maximum setting of 25.  Rebooted the DVR - no change.  Rebooted the RG - no change.  Recycled the Yamaha - no change.  Checked other inputs (CD, PS3, etc) and volume was fine.  I changed the DVR from Surround to Stereo and the volume is normal again.  Normally, being in Stereo dropped the volume a few dB's from Surround.  Last night it was just the opposite, by a MUCH higher margin.

So, did something happen when I disconnected the unused STB?  Did my account get changed somehow at Uverse when it was changed by the Tech to de-activate the STB?  Is the DVR bad and the timing is just a coincidence?  I haven't called Tech Support yet - thought I'd ask here just in case I'd done something stupid. 

Any ideas on this one...? 

I called Uverse yesterday to get a confirmation number to return one of my STB's I'm not using anymore.  I received the number and then the person told me she was going to waive my $10 HD fee for 6 months.  I'm not sure why but I wasn't going to put up a fuss :smileyhappy:.  Later last night I turned everything on and the volume was down so low I could not hear anything.  I normally listen at about the -40dB range on my Yamaha.  I had to go up to about +10dB on the volume setting to be able to hear.  I NEVER go that high with the volume (normally).  I should have seen the furniture moving!   I checked the Moto DVR volume setting and it was still at the maximum setting of 25.  Rebooted the DVR - no change.  Rebooted the RG - no change.  Recycled the Yamaha - no change.  Checked other inputs (CD, PS3, etc) and volume was fine.  I changed the DVR from Surround to Stereo and the volume is normal again.  Normally, being in Stereo dropped the volume a few dB's from Surround.  Last night it was just the opposite, by a MUCH higher margin.

So, did something happen when I disconnected the unused STB?  Did my account get changed somehow at Uverse when it was changed by the Tech to de-activate the STB?  Is the DVR bad and the timing is just a coincidence?  I haven't called Tech Support yet - thought I'd ask here just in case I'd done something stupid. 

Any ideas on this one...? 

Volume dropped on DVR

252 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(252)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 4:28:49 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sad.  When I had the online chat with the support person they almost immediately acknowledged the issue as on their end.  Towards the end of the chat they indicated that it should be fixed by the end of the day.  Well, that was on Thursday and here we are still in the same situation on Sunday evening.  I guess that is more leverage for getting some kind of incentive from retention.

Sad.  When I had the online chat with the support person they almost immediately acknowledged the issue as on their end.  Towards the end of the chat they indicated that it should be fixed by the end of the day.  Well, that was on Thursday and here we are still in the same situation on Sunday evening.  I guess that is more leverage for getting some kind of incentive from retention.

Re: Volume dropped on DVR

31 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 4:38:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

For us it's not too low it's two high..........

Tuesday nigh while watching a recorded Dancing w/ the Stars the audio volume jumped up about 4 times normal and was distorted. Our normal listening volume is a setting of -25. I had to turn it down to -55 and it was still loud and distorted a bit.

I went to Menu/Options/Audio and it was set to Surround. Pressed OK anyway (to save settings although I made no change) and the volume went immediately back to normal. For about 10 minutes that is and then it jumped back up with the same distortion. Repeated the menu/Options/Audio/save again and sure enough, back to normal. Ten minutes or so later, volume jumped up, repeated the same process but this time NO change.

We couldn't stand the audio distortion and switched over to a recorded American Idol. Recorded the same night as Dancing. We had the same volume jumps and distortion. Then we switched to another recording of some movie I'd recorded at an earlier date and the volume was fine.

Sorta anxious to see if this happens again when recording those programs Monday night. No other instances of the volume jumps and we've not had any low volume issues on any channel.

Maybe this situation is somehow related to the low volumes others are experiencing.

Tuesday nigh while watching a recorded Dancing w/ the Stars the audio volume jumped up about 4 times normal and was distorted. Our normal listening volume is a setting of -25. I had to turn it down to -55 and it was still loud and distorted a bit.

I went to Menu/Options/Audio and it was set to Surround. Pressed OK anyway (to save settings although I made no change) and the volume went immediately back to normal. For about 10 minutes that is and then it jumped back up with the same distortion. Repeated the menu/Options/Audio/save again and sure enough, back to normal. Ten minutes or so later, volume jumped up, repeated the same process but this time NO change.

We couldn't stand the audio distortion and switched over to a recorded American Idol. Recorded the same night as Dancing. We had the same volume jumps and distortion. Then we switched to another recording of some movie I'd recorded at an earlier date and the volume was fine.

Sorta anxious to see if this happens again when recording those programs Monday night. No other instances of the volume jumps and we've not had any low volume issues on any channel.

Maybe this situation is somehow related to the low volumes others are experiencing.

32 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 6:27:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same issue - ever since about 2-3 months ago when AT&T pushed a new release of software this started happening.  My Surround sound takes 3-4 seconds to return after each channel change (but only on the HD channels that are pushing surround sound.  

Been through the ringer with tech support.   This week they will get a phone call telling them I will not be paying my bill until my issues are resolved.  

I have the same issue - ever since about 2-3 months ago when AT&T pushed a new release of software this started happening.  My Surround sound takes 3-4 seconds to return after each channel change (but only on the HD channels that are pushing surround sound.  

Been through the ringer with tech support.   This week they will get a phone call telling them I will not be paying my bill until my issues are resolved.  

33 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 7:06:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

innajnod wrote:

My wife was watching Amazing Race this evening. She started recording it and then started watching about 30 minutes into the program - short time later - bam the volume jumps up. Oddly, it sounded just fine on 1 of the STB's.

innajnod wrote:

My wife was watching Amazing Race this evening. She started recording it and then started watching about 30 minutes into the program - short time later - bam the volume jumps up. Oddly, it sounded just fine on 1 of the STB's.

34 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 8:13:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

For me its an dramatic audio increase.... so I'm sorry but not trying to hijack this thread. The issue might be related though. Tier2 said they had heard of both increased volume levels as well as decreased and there is known issue is with HDCP and HDMI cables. HDCP is the software used for copy protection. I use HDMI for video and optical for audio but TS said it can still occur. He suggested I switch to component for video cables or wait for a HDCP software update that may fix the problem. The only thing he knew to try is to disconnect the HDMI cable from the DVR, replace it and then do a hard reboot. He said sometimes that works.

Humm... We'll see I guess.

For me its an dramatic audio increase.... so I'm sorry but not trying to hijack this thread. The issue might be related though. Tier2 said they had heard of both increased volume levels as well as decreased and there is known issue is with HDCP and HDMI cables. HDCP is the software used for copy protection. I use HDMI for video and optical for audio but TS said it can still occur. He suggested I switch to component for video cables or wait for a HDCP software update that may fix the problem. The only thing he knew to try is to disconnect the HDMI cable from the DVR, replace it and then do a hard reboot. He said sometimes that works.

35 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 9:45:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

It seems a bit difficult to accept that explanation when the issue is only with HD local channels, while the remainder of HD and SD channels being fine.  Why are they unique compared to the rest of the HD channels?  Regular local channels are also ok.

When I talked with tech support they claimed it was some kind of netowrk issue just with the local channels. 

It seems a bit difficult to accept that explanation when the issue is only with HD local channels, while the remainder of HD and SD channels being fine.  Why are they unique compared to the rest of the HD channels?  Regular local channels are also ok.

When I talked with tech support they claimed it was some kind of netowrk issue just with the local channels. 

36 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 10:24:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

Banzai wrote:

Banzai wrote:

It's happened 3 times now. All were recorded programs. It's never happened with live TV on any channel. The 3 recorded shows were different channels but HD programming. I've watched a recorded program, recorded prior to this week and it was fine.

TS suggested unhooking the HDMI and I'm to do that to see what results I get. TS said a newer version of HDCP "may" have gotten pushed down recently and introduced the problem. So would that mean every provider, DTV, FIOS, etc. would also be experiencing the problem? TS said "yes" if they got the HDCP update. As far as this technician was concerned a remedy was not in UV's hands.

Not in their hands??!? That's what I find difficult to accept. I bet that if that's true then whoever the HDCP folks are they're working round the clock to fix that glitch.

We'll see I guess.

EDIT: TS suggested "googling" HDCP. Said you'll find info on the HDCP audio issue and HDMI.

Banzai wrote:

Banzai wrote:

It's happened 3 times now. All were recorded programs. It's never happened with live TV on any channel. The 3 recorded shows were different channels but HD programming. I've watched a recorded program, recorded prior to this week and it was fine.

TS suggested unhooking the HDMI and I'm to do that to see what results I get. TS said a newer version of HDCP "may" have gotten pushed down recently and introduced the problem. So would that mean every provider, DTV, FIOS, etc. would also be experiencing the problem? TS said "yes" if they got the HDCP update. As far as this technician was concerned a remedy was not in UV's hands.

Not in their hands??!? That's what I find difficult to accept. I bet that if that's true then whoever the HDCP folks are they're working round the clock to fix that glitch.

We'll see I guess.

EDIT: TS suggested "googling" HDCP. Said you'll find info on the HDCP audio issue and HDMI.

37 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2010 8:12:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

innajnod wrote:

Switching cables may help, but more than likely it will just give you more/different problems.  I'm using component and optical and have been for many months.  I'm the one that started this thread so you can see it didn't help me.  I had to make that cable switch when Uverse pushed some software update down that caused all of my SD channels to put out a loud high pitched tone with the normal audio.  It was something coming through the HDMI cable.   I began a thread on that issue and found many people started having the same problem at the same time I did.  It was only on SD channels.  HD was not impacted.  I had to completely disconnect the HDMI and go to component and optical.  That solved that problem but I still have the pops/clicks/dropouts that so many others are having.  Now this volume issue has come up.  Are we ever going to get service that doesn't have problems?

innajnod wrote:

Switching cables may help, but more than likely it will just give you more/different problems.  I'm using component and optical and have been for many months.  I'm the one that started this thread so you can see it didn't help me.  I had to make that cable switch when Uverse pushed some software update down that caused all of my SD channels to put out a loud high pitched tone with the normal audio.  It was something coming through the HDMI cable.   I began a thread on that issue and found many people started having the same problem at the same time I did.  It was only on SD channels.  HD was not impacted.  I had to completely disconnect the HDMI and go to component and optical.  That solved that problem but I still have the pops/clicks/dropouts that so many others are having.  Now this volume issue has come up.  Are we ever going to get service that doesn't have problems?

38 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2010 10:55:13 AM
(0)
Mentor

TS said HDCP sends a buggy command to the AV and so the AV is then the source of the audio issue. That's why they say UV's hands are tied waiting for a fix to HDCP.

For me this has only occurred 3 times and all with recorded programs. If it were happening with live TV as others are indicating then that would be more beliveable.

To speculate... perhaps there's an issue in the DVR and Moto's implementation (something in their chipset maybe) of HDCP/HDMI. Who knows. If the problem continues I'll ask for a replacement DVR.

TS said HDCP sends a buggy command to the AV and so the AV is then the source of the audio issue. That's why they say UV's hands are tied waiting for a fix to HDCP.

For me this has only occurred 3 times and all with recorded programs. If it were happening with live TV as others are indicating then that would be more beliveable.

To speculate... perhaps there's an issue in the DVR and Moto's implementation (something in their chipset maybe) of HDCP/HDMI. Who knows. If the problem continues I'll ask for a replacement DVR.

39 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2010 8:59:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just started happening to me on Friday.  Call tech support and the lady who took my call eventually told me that she would need to xfr me to the dept. that helps w/ 3rd party equipment, and charges for that service.  After eventually getting a supervisor, he dispatched a tech yesterday, who has dumbfounded at the problem...never seen anything like it.  Replaced the box in the hope that that was all it was, but it didn't help in the slightest.  Also, I was unable to retain my original DVR which had quite a few recordings with perfectly good DD audio that I was willing to lose if it fixed my problem. 

Customer service is very hit and miss w/ ATT.

Just started happening to me on Friday.  Call tech support and the lady who took my call eventually told me that she would need to xfr me to the dept. that helps w/ 3rd party equipment, and charges for that service.  After eventually getting a supervisor, he dispatched a tech yesterday, who has dumbfounded at the problem...never seen anything like it.  Replaced the box in the hope that that was all it was, but it didn't help in the slightest.  Also, I was unable to retain my original DVR which had quite a few recordings with perfectly good DD audio that I was willing to lose if it fixed my problem. 

Customer service is very hit and miss w/ ATT.

40 of 253 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2010 10:28:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

Experiencing the same thing after the recent upgrade.

All HD Local channels are distorted via HDMI or Toslink out to Pioneer AVR.   Pioneer Elite reports the signal as -27 which means it's way too low.

They are dispatching someone on Wed 4/14 to look at it, I doubt they'll be able to fix it, it's either a stream issue + codec issue or firmware issue.

All HD Local channels are distorted via HDMI or Toslink out to Pioneer AVR.   Pioneer Elite reports the signal as -27 which means it's way too low.

They are dispatching someone on Wed 4/14 to look at it, I doubt they'll be able to fix it, it's either a stream issue + codec issue or firmware issue.

41 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 7:26:45 AM
(0)
Expert

chadwhere wrote:

I'm having the similar problem in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. I have my DVR connected to a Pioneer AV Receiver via optical cable with the Dolby Digital output turned on. On all the local HD channels the audio is very distorted, but the volume is still high. If I turn off the digital audio output, the audio sounds just fine.  Audio is OK on all of the SD local channels and all SD and HD cable channels (Discovery, TLC, HGTV etc) I have also tried rebooting and switching to HDMI and that didn't fix anything.

drmosh wrote:

Mine is a Pioneer as well (VSX-1018AH-K).  I believe we've found a pattern.

The problem is as I've posted above ... their Dolby Digital encoders are not flagging the dialogue normalization value in the datastream, or are setting it to zero.  Both are incorrect and out-of-spec for a Dolby Digital stream.

drmosh -- the -27dB you're seeing is the "default" value for Dolby Digital dialnorm.  That is further proof that the stream hasn't set the value.

This missing dialogue normalization value causes this distortion on Pioneer receivers.  On other brands, it causes very low volume, as those receivers treat the value as 0, and then apply 31 dB of attenuation to the audio (as the Dolby specs say to).

This is a 2-minute change to the audio encoder at the local VHO to fix.  Of course, convincing AT&T of this will be harder than achieving middle East peace. :smileymad:

I'm going to contact David, since tech support doesn't have a clue, and the Networking team is no doubt baffled by their own stupidity.

chadwhere wrote:

I'm having the similar problem in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. I have my DVR connected to a Pioneer AV Receiver via optical cable with the Dolby Digital output turned on. On all the local HD channels the audio is very distorted, but the volume is still high. If I turn off the digital audio output, the audio sounds just fine.  Audio is OK on all of the SD local channels and all SD and HD cable channels (Discovery, TLC, HGTV etc) I have also tried rebooting and switching to HDMI and that didn't fix anything.

drmosh wrote:

The problem is as I've posted above ... their Dolby Digital encoders are not flagging the dialogue normalization value in the datastream, or are setting it to zero.  Both are incorrect and out-of-spec for a Dolby Digital stream.

drmosh -- the -27dB you're seeing is the "default" value for Dolby Digital dialnorm.  That is further proof that the stream hasn't set the value.

This missing dialogue normalization value causes this distortion on Pioneer receivers.  On other brands, it causes very low volume, as those receivers treat the value as 0, and then apply 31 dB of attenuation to the audio (as the Dolby specs say to).

This is a 2-minute change to the audio encoder at the local VHO to fix.  Of course, convincing AT&T of this will be harder than achieving middle East peace. :smileymad:

I'm going to contact David, since tech support doesn't have a clue, and the Networking team is no doubt baffled by their own stupidity.

42 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 8:01:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

I am experiencing the exact same promlem. HDMI cables from the DVR to receiver. The volume problems, only on HD from channels 1000-1099, and 1623 (which is CBS) have virtually no volume. It just started Saturday. Tech support is of no help. Has anyone found resolution?

I am experiencing the exact same promlem. HDMI cables from the DVR to receiver. The volume problems, only on HD from channels 1000-1099, and 1623 (which is CBS) have virtually no volume. It just started Saturday. Tech support is of no help. Has anyone found resolution?

43 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 9:43:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Pioneer Elite VSX 56txi here too. Are you saying your volume level goes up? Does it happen to you with live TV or just recordings? Mine is recordings only. At least so far. Switching the DVR to stereo doesn't fix it. Switching the AV to direct or stereo doesn't work either. Interestingly, it comes and goes during the same recording.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Pioneer Elite VSX 56txi here too. Are you saying your volume level goes up? Does it happen to you with live TV or just recordings? Mine is recordings only. At least so far. Switching the DVR to stereo doesn't fix it. Switching the AV to direct or stereo doesn't work either. Interestingly, it comes and goes during the same recording.

44 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 11:31:36 AM
(0)
Scholar

A new Pioneer Elite SC27 here as well.  Just put that in last Tuesday.  How long has this specific issue been present?  I didn't notice it until Thursday morning, but I may not have tested local HD channels and the problem might have been present from the moment I swapped receivers.  Prior, I was using an old Sony 5.1 AV receiver via optical without any audio issues.

A new Pioneer Elite SC27 here as well.  Just put that in last Tuesday.  How long has this specific issue been present?  I didn't notice it until Thursday morning, but I may not have tested local HD channels and the problem might have been present from the moment I swapped receivers.  Prior, I was using an old Sony 5.1 AV receiver via optical without any audio issues.

45 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 12:17:59 PM
(0)
Expert

innajnod wrote:

On mine, I get exactly the following symptom:

• The receiver lights up as Dolby Digital audio, 5.1.  It does not display the dialnorm value, as it usually does with other Dolby Digital sources.
  • The sound is approximately the correct volume, at least from the Front Right / Front Left / Surround Right / Surround Left / LFE speakers.
  • The Center channel volume is quite a bit lower than the other channels.
  • The Center channel is where all the distortion is.  Dialogue, which normally emanates from the center channel, is muffled, garbled, and generally unintelligible.
  • These symptoms are occurring regardless of whether the program is live or recorded, as long as it was after Thursday, the 8th.  Recordings I have from before then are fine.

These symptoms only occur when:

1. Local HD station

2. Surround sound setting set to surround

3. Optical or HDMI audio in use

Take away any one of those three and the bad audio goes away.

I send David a detailed e-mail this morning.  Hopefully he can get to the bottom of it.

innajnod wrote:

• The receiver lights up as Dolby Digital audio, 5.1.  It does not display the dialnorm value, as it usually does with other Dolby Digital sources.
  • The sound is approximately the correct volume, at least from the Front Right / Front Left / Surround Right / Surround Left / LFE speakers.
  • The Center channel is where all the distortion is.  Dialogue, which normally emanates from the center channel, is muffled, garbled, and generally unintelligible.
  • These symptoms are occurring regardless of whether the program is live or recorded, as long as it was after Thursday, the 8th.  Recordings I have from before then are fine.

1. Local HD station

I send David a detailed e-mail this morning.  Hopefully he can get to the bottom of it.

46 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 12:19:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

Banzai wrote:

For me it started about a week ago. Recorded material only. Is yours with recorded, live or both? BTW: Nice receiver!

Banzai wrote:

For me it started about a week ago. Recorded material only. Is yours with recorded, live or both? BTW: Nice receiver!

47 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 12:30:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

innajnod wrote:

1. Local HD station

I haven't listened to individual speakers so I don't know if it's the same as yours. For me it's recordings only. Does that of any significance? Older recording are okay as well as some more recent recordings but they were Showtime channels or SyFy. 

Not a lot of consistancy in findings so far. My nornal listening volume is from -27 to -20 depending on the source/channel etc. When audio jumps up I have to quickly reduce the volume to around -50 before blowing my ears or speakers.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

innajnod wrote:

1. Local HD station

I haven't listened to individual speakers so I don't know if it's the same as yours. For me it's recordings only. Does that of any significance? Older recording are okay as well as some more recent recordings but they were Showtime channels or SyFy. 

Not a lot of consistancy in findings so far. My nornal listening volume is from -27 to -20 depending on the source/channel etc. When audio jumps up I have to quickly reduce the volume to around -50 before blowing my ears or speakers.

48 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 12:31:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

SomeJoe, I'm going to have to send you some tuition money for all you teach me.  I saw the same -27 dB reference on my Yamaha receiver info screen when this all started.  I went through every setting on my unit to try and raise the level but could not find anything that would let me do that.  You just explained why.  I also saw a "dialnorm" message for a few seconds that I hadn't seen before.  With the DVR now set to Stereo I don't see the message anymore.  Tonight I'll take a second look at the message just so I'll know what is going on if something like this happens in the future.  Of course that's betting on the fact that they get this fixed in the first place.:smileymad: 

EDIT:  (Doh!!  Must run spellcheck, must run spellcheck, must run spellcheck... then hit Post!)

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

SomeJoe, I'm going to have to send you some tuition money for all you teach me.  I saw the same -27 dB reference on my Yamaha receiver info screen when this all started.  I went through every setting on my unit to try and raise the level but could not find anything that would let me do that.  You just explained why.  I also saw a "dialnorm" message for a few seconds that I hadn't seen before.  With the DVR now set to Stereo I don't see the message anymore.  Tonight I'll take a second look at the message just so I'll know what is going on if something like this happens in the future.  Of course that's betting on the fact that they get this fixed in the first place.:smileymad: 

EDIT:  (Doh!!  Must run spellcheck, must run spellcheck, must run spellcheck... then hit Post!)

49 of 253 (153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 1:29:21 PM
(0)
Scholar

Live or recorded does not matter for me.  The problem exists on either.  The same recordings played on a different STB that is only connected via RCA and set to stereo are fine of course.

I'll have to go back and test out older recordings if I can find any from pre 4/8 for any of the problem channels.  That would be a great test for me becaue it also would help eliminate the receiver as the cause on my end and points back to a change on 4/8 if older recordings of local HD channels do not exhibit the audio quality issue.

I'll like the new receiver a bunch more after this problem is gone.  I'm still doing some of the minor fine tuning, but the major setup hurdles have been tackled already.

Live or recorded does not matter for me.  The problem exists on either.  The same recordings played on a different STB that is only connected via RCA and set to stereo are fine of course.

I'll have to go back and test out older recordings if I can find any from pre 4/8 for any of the problem channels.  That would be a great test for me becaue it also would help eliminate the receiver as the cause on my end and points back to a change on 4/8 if older recordings of local HD channels do not exhibit the audio quality issue.

I'll like the new receiver a bunch more after this problem is gone.  I'm still doing some of the minor fine tuning, but the major setup hurdles have been tackled already.

50 of 253 (153 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 1:36:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just posted a new thread thinking I was the only one with this problem.  Happy I guess to see I'm not the only one.  Have a Pioneer VSX 919 with HDMI audio.   digital audio went to h**l on 4/7 or 4/8.  All recordings before then were fine.  Now happens on live or recorded HD, but I didn't think to check the non-local HD stations.  will have to do that tonight.  I had tech support at my house on Saturday and he swapped the box and the problem remained, so he said it was probably my equipment.  Knew that couldn't be the case given that recorded HD from before 4/7 worked fine, but until I read this thread didn't have any evidence to the contrary.

Suffering with "stereo" for now...  don't know what else to do.

I just posted a new thread thinking I was the only one with this problem.  Happy I guess to see I'm not the only one.  Have a Pioneer VSX 919 with HDMI audio.   digital audio went to h**l on 4/7 or 4/8.  All recordings before then were fine.  Now happens on live or recorded HD, but I didn't think to check the non-local HD stations.  will have to do that tonight.  I had tech support at my house on Saturday and he swapped the box and the problem remained, so he said it was probably my equipment.  Knew that couldn't be the case given that recorded HD from before 4/7 worked fine, but until I read this thread didn't have any evidence to the contrary.

Suffering with "stereo" for now...  don't know what else to do.

51 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 1:41:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

Have been frustrated by this too-- have Philips TV (have HDMI issue with dvr and that, but that would be a different thread) and Denon AVR 3300 Toslink from DVR to the Denon,  HDMI to tv, also component, (for when HDMI is not working) ---  the audio was working flawessly  a few weeks ago and then I lost Dolby digital capability --- so I had to switch to "stereo" mode---   they must have sent an update out to the boxes (we're a new customer) that got rid of this capability--- hope they fix it soon, it sucks watching premium movies in dolby pro logic...  

Have been frustrated by this too-- have Philips TV (have HDMI issue with dvr and that, but that would be a different thread) and Denon AVR 3300 Toslink from DVR to the Denon,  HDMI to tv, also component, (for when HDMI is not working) ---  the audio was working flawessly  a few weeks ago and then I lost Dolby digital capability --- so I had to switch to "stereo" mode---   they must have sent an update out to the boxes (we're a new customer) that got rid of this capability--- hope they fix it soon, it sucks watching premium movies in dolby pro logic...  

52 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 2:18:23 PM
(0)
Expert

All of you that are having problems, please call technical support at 1-800-983-2811 and report the problem.  Do not let them tell you that it's your equipment.  Your argument is as follows:

--> The problem only appears on local HD channels.  My equipment cannot "know" what channel I'm watching.  So if I get distorted or low volume audio on an HD local (for instance, my local FOX affiliate), and perfectly fine audio on a national channel (like ESPN), how can it be my equipment?

As has been discussed, tier 2 knows that this is a known problem and it is supposedly being worked, but AT&T needs to know how many people this is affecting.

All of you that are having problems, please call technical support at 1-800-983-2811 and report the problem.  Do not let them tell you that it's your equipment.  Your argument is as follows:

--> The problem only appears on local HD channels.  My equipment cannot "know" what channel I'm watching.  So if I get distorted or low volume audio on an HD local (for instance, my local FOX affiliate), and perfectly fine audio on a national channel (like ESPN), how can it be my equipment?

As has been discussed, tier 2 knows that this is a known problem and it is supposedly being worked, but AT&T needs to know how many people this is affecting.

53 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 5:25:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have logged two calls via the support online chat.  Does that still count since they collected and verify your account info before providing support?  Or do I need to make an actual phone call?

I have logged two calls via the support online chat.  Does that still count since they collected and verify your account info before providing support?  Or do I need to make an actual phone call?

54 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2010 7:08:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having this same problem with the low\distorted audio only on local hd channels.  goes away when i switch to stereo.  Called TS before finding this thread.  They said to use rca cables instead of hdmi as if there were no tradeoffs.  I have a pioneer vsx 919ah and i live in tx.

I am having this same problem with the low\distorted audio only on local hd channels.  goes away when i switch to stereo.  Called TS before finding this thread.  They said to use rca cables instead of hdmi as if there were no tradeoffs.  I have a pioneer vsx 919ah and i live in tx.

55 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 5:05:01 PM
(0)
Teacher

I noticed a lot of you are having problems with Pioneer receivers. Mine is a Yamaha. Anyone else have a Yamaha?

I noticed a lot of you are having problems with Pioneer receivers. Mine is a Yamaha. Anyone else have a Yamaha?

56 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 6:19:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

Add another user.  Local HD channels only.  Yamaha receiver here.

Add another user.  Local HD channels only.  Yamaha receiver here.

57 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 6:21:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

VSX1019ah

Recommend calling into billing, 800-288-2020, and requesting a credit on your account if you plan on staying w/ ATT after this fiasco.  Authorized giving me $10.00 off p/month for 6 months, as well as increasing my internet speed to the next level up at no additional charge.  Switching back to Cox Cable on Saturday, rates are less than ATT, and I've never had as much difficulty working with their tech support people as I have w/ ATT.  I may not see much savings over the next 3 days, but it's the principle of the matter.

VSX1019ah

Recommend calling into billing, 800-288-2020, and requesting a credit on your account if you plan on staying w/ ATT after this fiasco.  Authorized giving me $10.00 off p/month for 6 months, as well as increasing my internet speed to the next level up at no additional charge.  Switching back to Cox Cable on Saturday, rates are less than ATT, and I've never had as much difficulty working with their tech support people as I have w/ ATT.  I may not see much savings over the next 3 days, but it's the principle of the matter.

58 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 6:42:33 PM
(0)
Expert

I don't blame you.  This is extraordinarily irritating for me as well.  I'm going to give them some more time, but if it goes into the weeks/months and isn't fixed, I'm going to have to consider leaving myself.  I don't want to, because there's no good choice.  In Houston, we have Comcast which has really crappy HD and is expensive.  I could go back to DirecTV or Dish, but I hate the entire idea of the contract.

I don't blame you.  This is extraordinarily irritating for me as well.  I'm going to give them some more time, but if it goes into the weeks/months and isn't fixed, I'm going to have to consider leaving myself.  I don't want to, because there's no good choice.  In Houston, we have Comcast which has really crappy HD and is expensive.  I could go back to DirecTV or Dish, but I hate the entire idea of the contract.

59 of 253 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 6:46:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

I hope it gets fixed soon.  We don't want to see you leave.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

I hope it gets fixed soon.  We don't want to see you leave.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

60 of 253 (704 Views)