Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 16, 2011
8:56:57 PM
View profile
Very Specific Uverse Install Situation

I am schedule to have Uverse installed on the 8th of next month and I am very excited. I am moving into a new place and will be having two TVs hung on the wall (Bedroom and Living Room). The livingroom is fairly straight forward with a piece of furniture below it to hold the STB etc etc. However, in the bedroom, there is no place to put the STB b/c i don't want the STB visible. I want it remotely installed in the bedroom closet which is to the right of the wall the TV is going on. My question is how should I go about this to make sure everything is done correct and the way I want it done. Should I have to TVs mounted first then have the Uverse guy out to do the install or vise versa? Any input would be appreciated. Im the type of person that really isn't willing to compromose so if i can't have it done the way I want then id probably not do anything at all and continueusing nextflix and redbox. 

I am schedule to have Uverse installed on the 8th of next month and I am very excited. I am moving into a new place and will be having two TVs hung on the wall (Bedroom and Living Room). The livingroom is fairly straight forward with a piece of furniture below it to hold the STB etc etc. However, in the bedroom, there is no place to put the STB b/c i don't want the STB visible. I want it remotely installed in the bedroom closet which is to the right of the wall the TV is going on. My question is how should I go about this to make sure everything is done correct and the way I want it done. Should I have to TVs mounted first then have the Uverse guy out to do the install or vise versa? Any input would be appreciated. Im the type of person that really isn't willing to compromose so if i can't have it done the way I want then id probably not do anything at all and continueusing nextflix and redbox. 

Very Specific Uverse Install Situation

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 3:57:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I believe the expectation for a "standard " install is an easily accessible TV ( to assure exerything works), existing or easily accesible wiring access and line of sight positioning of the STB.

Deviation from this is going to trigger extra charges. Certainly it requires careful planning and execution to assure success. Which, you appear to be committed to.

So, you should have the TVs installed. If the connection cables are hidden, you should have them installed & readily available for connection OR you should expect a temporary connection that you can customize later.

The biggest thing is the hidden STB. I think it is a lot to expect the at&t tech to work with a hidden STB.

To hide just the STB you will need to buy the point anywhere remote (seperately from the installation).

BUT, if your hiding the STB, you probably will want to add more devices & require a more sophisticated and expensive IR repeater. Instead of the point anywhere remote. Be especially carefull with this. Check out this site -

http://www.nilesaudio.com/media/ir.php

Perhaps you should plan for a three step install -  TVs, U-verse (standard), customize to hidden.

Unless you are capable of doing the hidden devices your self, you may want to talk to a custom installer now & make sure he is a really good one. If not, he may not be able to make it work with U-verse.

I believe the expectation for a "standard " install is an easily accessible TV ( to assure exerything works), existing or easily accesible wiring access and line of sight positioning of the STB.

Deviation from this is going to trigger extra charges. Certainly it requires careful planning and execution to assure success. Which, you appear to be committed to.

So, you should have the TVs installed. If the connection cables are hidden, you should have them installed & readily available for connection OR you should expect a temporary connection that you can customize later.

The biggest thing is the hidden STB. I think it is a lot to expect the at&t tech to work with a hidden STB.

To hide just the STB you will need to buy the point anywhere remote (seperately from the installation).

BUT, if your hiding the STB, you probably will want to add more devices & require a more sophisticated and expensive IR repeater. Instead of the point anywhere remote. Be especially carefull with this. Check out this site -

http://www.nilesaudio.com/media/ir.php

Perhaps you should plan for a three step install -  TVs, U-verse (standard), customize to hidden.

Unless you are capable of doing the hidden devices your self, you may want to talk to a custom installer now & make sure he is a really good one. If not, he may not be able to make it work with U-verse.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Very Specific Uverse Install Situation

2 of 5 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 7:28:48 AM
(0)
Contributor
I really appreciate the quick reply.

Just to address a few issues. I really don't forsee needing anything else besides the STB to be placed in the closet. It's going to the TV in the bedroom which really wont even be used very much. My wife has a very defined design plan and it just doesn't allow for the STB to be placed on a piece of furniture or out in the open in the bedroom. The living space is much more straight forward and conventional. I expect to pay to have someone do what I want done the right way, I just dont know what ATT would charge (or even if they'd be willing/able to do what I need done). I have contacted a local installer for a quote, hopefully he'll get back to me.
I really appreciate the quick reply.

Just to address a few issues. I really don't forsee needing anything else besides the STB to be placed in the closet. It's going to the TV in the bedroom which really wont even be used very much. My wife has a very defined design plan and it just doesn't allow for the STB to be placed on a piece of furniture or out in the open in the bedroom. The living space is much more straight forward and conventional. I expect to pay to have someone do what I want done the right way, I just dont know what ATT would charge (or even if they'd be willing/able to do what I need done). I have contacted a local installer for a quote, hopefully he'll get back to me.

3 of 5 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 8:46:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same setup that you want in my bedroom and it works great. My TV is mounted on the wall and the STB is in a closet directly behind it on a wire shelf. I drilled a hole behind the TV and ran the power cable and the HDMI cable through that. I have the AT&T provided RF remote control which has a usb device that plugs into the front of the STB. It works great. It's supposed to cost $60 but I talked the installer out of it for free. You want to make sure you have power in your closet for the TV and STB. I just installed one off of the closest one in the bedroom.The installer shouldn't have any problem getting the neccessary wiring to the STB in the closet. Hope this helps.

I have the same setup that you want in my bedroom and it works great. My TV is mounted on the wall and the STB is in a closet directly behind it on a wire shelf. I drilled a hole behind the TV and ran the power cable and the HDMI cable through that. I have the AT&T provided RF remote control which has a usb device that plugs into the front of the STB. It works great. It's supposed to cost $60 but I talked the installer out of it for free. You want to make sure you have power in your closet for the TV and STB. I just installed one off of the closest one in the bedroom.The installer shouldn't have any problem getting the neccessary wiring to the STB in the closet. Hope this helps.

4 of 5 (240 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 10:27:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Since you only need to hide the STB, if you want to start with minimalist approach, you may want to consider using vecro or bungee cord to attach the STB to the back of the TV. Aim the front of the STB to either the ceiling or a side (maybe a dresser mirror). The STB will most likely respond to an IR signal bounced off the ceiling or side wall. If it does not, you can always add it later.

I did not know that installers had RF remotes, If you can get one for free, it would be great.

Since you only need to hide the STB, if you want to start with minimalist approach, you may want to consider using vecro or bungee cord to attach the STB to the back of the TV. Aim the front of the STB to either the ceiling or a side (maybe a dresser mirror). The STB will most likely respond to an IR signal bounced off the ceiling or side wall. If it does not, you can always add it later.

I did not know that installers had RF remotes, If you can get one for free, it would be great.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (231 Views)