Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 26, 2010
8:08:47 PM
View profile
Uverse and gmail

Has anyone suddenly been unable to receive pop email from their gmail accounts while on a uverse network?  Worked fine one day.  Wouldn't work the next.  Handheld worked fine on non-uverse network with no setting changes.

Has anyone suddenly been unable to receive pop email from their gmail accounts while on a uverse network?  Worked fine one day.  Wouldn't work the next.  Handheld worked fine on non-uverse network with no setting changes.

Uverse and gmail

30 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(30)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2010 8:56:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes - same thing happened to me.  After an hour of support they transferred me to the "highly trained customer support" who offered to fix this for a fee.  They changed the settings of their network, then they offered to charge me to fix it.  Great customer service.  Comcast here I come.  Hard to imagine that I would look forward to moving to a cable company.

Yes - same thing happened to me.  After an hour of support they transferred me to the "highly trained customer support" who offered to fix this for a fee.  They changed the settings of their network, then they offered to charge me to fix it.  Great customer service.  Comcast here I come.  Hard to imagine that I would look forward to moving to a cable company.

Re: Uverse and gmail

2 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2010 9:50:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

I am having the same problem too since this morning...seems to be triggerred by update firmware on my gateway

I am having the same problem too since this morning...seems to be triggerred by update firmware on my gateway

3 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 7:48:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm also having this problem.  Here's what I get when I ping pop.gmail.com:

Ping has started ...

PING gmail-pop.l.google.com (74.125.95.109): 56 data bytes

36 bytes from 151.164.99.141: Destination Host Unreachable

Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst

4  5  00 0054 3852   0 0000  39  01 dcbd 192.168.2.7  74.125.95.109 

I'm also having this problem.  Here's what I get when I ping pop.gmail.com:

Ping has started ...

PING gmail-pop.l.google.com (74.125.95.109): 56 data bytes

36 bytes from 151.164.99.141: Destination Host Unreachable

Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst

4  5  00 0054 3852   0 0000  39  01 dcbd 192.168.2.7  74.125.95.109 

4 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 8:28:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm having the same issue.  I have 5-6 pc's and macs which connect to my wireless network and gmail is not synching to any of my mail clients.  I use Outlook on the PC's and Apple mail on the Mac. 

I just got off the phone to UVerse and I don't think they have a clue about what is causing this, although they offereed a technician to remotely connect to one of my PC's for $29.95...something I think is ridiculous because this is obviously their issue and likely just an update to an SMTP port.  (not to mention I have 6 PC's on both windows and Mac which access my network). 

As far as I am concerned, they have about a week to make this right, or I'll jump to Charter.  It pains me to say that, but their speeds are faster and customer service has improved. 

Do the right thing, Uverse!

I'm having the same issue.  I have 5-6 pc's and macs which connect to my wireless network and gmail is not synching to any of my mail clients.  I use Outlook on the PC's and Apple mail on the Mac. 

I just got off the phone to UVerse and I don't think they have a clue about what is causing this, although they offereed a technician to remotely connect to one of my PC's for $29.95...something I think is ridiculous because this is obviously their issue and likely just an update to an SMTP port.  (not to mention I have 6 PC's on both windows and Mac which access my network). 

As far as I am concerned, they have about a week to make this right, or I'll jump to Charter.  It pains me to say that, but their speeds are faster and customer service has improved. 

Do the right thing, Uverse!

5 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 8:48:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just a quick follow up here as well.  I have a 3G wireless card for travel which allows me to synch my Outlook and Gmail Accounts properly.  Also, they are synching properly at work and at other wireless access points (airports, cafe, etc.).....obviously a problem with the UVerse software and/or firmware settings.....they need to get this fixed ASAP.  It's not like Gmail is some minor player in the email business.

Just a quick follow up here as well.  I have a 3G wireless card for travel which allows me to synch my Outlook and Gmail Accounts properly.  Also, they are synching properly at work and at other wireless access points (airports, cafe, etc.).....obviously a problem with the UVerse software and/or firmware settings.....they need to get this fixed ASAP.  It's not like Gmail is some minor player in the email business.

6 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 8:55:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was having issues with gmail a day or two ago but now its working again. What I am having problems with is accessing my igoogle page. I cannot access it from my home computer. I have no problem accessing it with my computer at work, though. This just happed a day ago. Very weird.

I was having issues with gmail a day or two ago but now its working again. What I am having problems with is accessing my igoogle page. I cannot access it from my home computer. I have no problem accessing it with my computer at work, though. This just happed a day ago. Very weird.

7 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 9:15:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

I think the problem is happening to all Google properties. I can't sign into GTalk and I occasionally have problems with news.google, Google Reader and google.com

I was using Google's DNS and that really slowed/killed my connection to almost everything. I had to disable it.

What's going on?

I think the problem is happening to all Google properties. I can't sign into GTalk and I occasionally have problems with news.google, Google Reader and google.com

I was using Google's DNS and that really slowed/killed my connection to almost everything. I had to disable it.

What's going on?

8 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 10:56:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Would have to ask all of you if you are using the RG for DNS (getting DNS automatically) or using a hard coded DNS server like Google, Open DNS or any others.  As the last poster related he is having trouble w/Google's DNS servers.  This just might be what is happening as when the new RG software is downloaded, it fixes the DNS by RG problem and may also be blocking other DNS access.  Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
I Call It Like I See It, Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Would have to ask all of you if you are using the RG for DNS (getting DNS automatically) or using a hard coded DNS server like Google, Open DNS or any others.  As the last poster related he is having trouble w/Google's DNS servers.  This just might be what is happening as when the new RG software is downloaded, it fixes the DNS by RG problem and may also be blocking other DNS access.  Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 11:39:01 AM
(0)
Contributor

I also have experienced the problem starting Friday, March 26.  I cannot access Google mail either through IMAP or POP3.  It also did not work through my iPhone, so at first I thought something was wrong with my Gmail settings.  Then it occurred to me to try turning off the iPhone's WiFi.  Using 3G, I can access the Gmail account fine (the iPhone uses IMAP).  When I go back to U-verse using WiFi, I get a message saying I cannot access the Google IMAP server.

So my conclusion is the protocol is being blocked.  I can't imagine why.

I also have experienced the problem starting Friday, March 26.  I cannot access Google mail either through IMAP or POP3.  It also did not work through my iPhone, so at first I thought something was wrong with my Gmail settings.  Then it occurred to me to try turning off the iPhone's WiFi.  Using 3G, I can access the Gmail account fine (the iPhone uses IMAP).  When I go back to U-verse using WiFi, I get a message saying I cannot access the Google IMAP server.

So my conclusion is the protocol is being blocked.  I can't imagine why.

10 of 31 (2,128 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 12:32:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've also been having problems the last 24 hours accessing any of the Google properties.  Gmail, iGoogle, Google's Blogspot, etc.  Strange thing is everything was working good until I got the 6.x software upgrade to my RG early yesterday morning.  I don't know if the upgrade has anything to do with problems accessing Google, but the timing is right.  Also I'm using the default RG DNS settings.  Nothing is hardcoded.

I've also been having problems the last 24 hours accessing any of the Google properties.  Gmail, iGoogle, Google's Blogspot, etc.  Strange thing is everything was working good until I got the 6.x software upgrade to my RG early yesterday morning.  I don't know if the upgrade has anything to do with problems accessing Google, but the timing is right.  Also I'm using the default RG DNS settings.  Nothing is hardcoded.

11 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 12:43:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Not having any problems getting to any google sites, actually went into sites at their 'tree' of sites and everything came up.  :smileywink:

Edit: Obviously use the RG for DNS and have the 6.1 upgrade.

Chris

Not having any problems getting to any google sites, actually went into sites at their 'tree' of sites and everything came up.  :smileywink:

Edit: Obviously use the RG for DNS and have the 6.1 upgrade.

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 1:06:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

had the same problem with my Outlook pop3 settings.  I changed gmail to googlemail and it worked.  More information here:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=21192054cf13cfe7&hl=en

had the same problem with my Outlook pop3 settings.  I changed gmail to googlemail and it worked.  More information here:

13 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 1:36:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

southlyonmark wrote:

Reading all the coments provided by the link from southlyonmark above, it seems like this is a at&t U-verse and at&t DSL problem.  TS is clueless as to what is going on appearently.

southlyonmark wrote:

Reading all the coments provided by the link from southlyonmark above, it seems like this is a at&t U-verse and at&t DSL problem.  TS is clueless as to what is going on appearently.

14 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 1:53:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

mibrnsurg: I have the older firmware (5.29.135.47). How do I upgrade to the newest one? The RG says there are no updates available.

Besides the custom DNS I had setup, which I've since removed, all of my settings are default. Based on the volume of posts I would say there is something else awry.

mibrnsurg: I have the older firmware (5.29.135.47). How do I upgrade to the newest one? The RG says there are no updates available.

Besides the custom DNS I had setup, which I've since removed, all of my settings are default. Based on the volume of posts I would say there is something else awry.

15 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 2:09:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes, changing the server from imap.gmail.com to imap.googlemail.com worked for me.  I reset my modem, but that didn't help -- I'll try unplugging it tonght.  Thanks for that link, Mark.

southlyonmark wrote:

Yes, changing the server from imap.gmail.com to imap.googlemail.com worked for me.  I reset my modem, but that didn't help -- I'll try unplugging it tonght.  Thanks for that link, Mark.

southlyonmark wrote:

16 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 2:15:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mr_tr0n wrote:

You can't do it by rebooting or unplugging/plugging in the RG.  It'll download when it does by the schedule ATT set, unknown to me. :smileywink:

Chris

mr_tr0n wrote:

You can't do it by rebooting or unplugging/plugging in the RG.  It'll download when it does by the schedule ATT set, unknown to me. :smileywink:

Chris

17 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 2:37:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

I tried unplugging the RG, waiting a few minutes and then plugging it back in.  Didn't fix anything.  So I went back to using hard coded DNS servers on my wireless interface and that seems to have fixed the problem, at least for now.

I tried unplugging the RG, waiting a few minutes and then plugging it back in.  Didn't fix anything.  So I went back to using hard coded DNS servers on my wireless interface and that seems to have fixed the problem, at least for now.

18 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 3:02:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm online chatting with Uverse tech support.  My issue seems to be blogspot.com, I don't use gmail or igoogle, reader is working okay.  I'm getting questions like "What's the error message?" or "How many computers are connected to the Uverse?" or "May I check your connection?"  The agent is claiming to know nothing about a possible routing issue with google services.  I've tracerouted and it stops at..

bb2-g2-0.wotnoh.sbcglobal.net (151.164.43.248)

We'll see what happens, still chatting Yay!

I'm online chatting with Uverse tech support.  My issue seems to be blogspot.com, I don't use gmail or igoogle, reader is working okay.  I'm getting questions like "What's the error message?" or "How many computers are connected to the Uverse?" or "May I check your connection?"  The agent is claiming to know nothing about a possible routing issue with google services.  I've tracerouted and it stops at..

19 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 3:27:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

This what you're having trouble with?  Came right up for me on FF 3.62, was checking Google websites earlier and this is one I reached w/no problems. :smileywink:

Chris

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/

This what you're having trouble with?  Came right up for me on FF 3.62, was checking Google websites earlier and this is one I reached w/no problems. :smileywink:

Chris

20 of 31 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 3:34:45 PM
(0)
Mentor

farmerd79 wrote:

blogspot.com was one of the sites that I could not reach either.  Kept timing out.  I hard coded my DNS servers to 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 and that fixed the problem for me.

Edit:  Seems like there is some discussion about this issue going on over at the DSLReports web site also. 

farmerd79 wrote:

blogspot.com was one of the sites that I could not reach either.  Kept timing out.  I hard coded my DNS servers to 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1 and that fixed the problem for me.

Edit:  Seems like there is some discussion about this issue going on over at the DSLReports web site also. 

21 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 4:06:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Finally! After two days I can now access the igoogle page.

Finally! After two days I can now access the igoogle page.

22 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 5:40:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Adding those DNS servers also seemed to do the trick for me. Is there anyway to set the RG to hand those out during a DHCP lease? I don't want to have to manually set those for everyone that uses my wireless :smileyhappy:

Adding those DNS servers also seemed to do the trick for me. Is there anyway to set the RG to hand those out during a DHCP lease? I don't want to have to manually set those for everyone that uses my wireless :smileyhappy:

23 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2010 5:51:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Actually the DNS is suppossedly fixed w/the 6.1 firmware download to the RG.  I actually got the fix about 2 months earlier when I switched from hard coded ATT DNS servers to check a link in the old firmware. It's worked flawlessly since that day (not the case when I originally hard coded almost immediately after I got installed 7/08).

If the RG is not giving out DNS correctly, have to hard code everything manually to get around it. :smileywink:

Chris

Actually the DNS is suppossedly fixed w/the 6.1 firmware download to the RG.  I actually got the fix about 2 months earlier when I switched from hard coded ATT DNS servers to check a link in the old firmware. It's worked flawlessly since that day (not the case when I originally hard coded almost immediately after I got installed 7/08).

If the RG is not giving out DNS correctly, have to hard code everything manually to get around it. :smileywink:

Chris

24 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2010 6:19:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

What ever happened, is fixed.  No changes at my end to any of my computers or iPhones....but it is fixed.  Thanks to everyone on this message board...we likely made them aware of it!

What ever happened, is fixed.  No changes at my end to any of my computers or iPhones....but it is fixed.  Thanks to everyone on this message board...we likely made them aware of it!

25 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 6:38:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Great, ATT must have done something again. I cant access gmail with outlook again.

Great, ATT must have done something again. I cant access gmail with outlook again.

26 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 7:59:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

I found the same issues this morning.  ATT not helpful at all wanted me to pay and would not guarantee they could fix it for the low price of $129.95.    Found this link in earlier postings on this thread. 

The fix is change to change the POP and SMTP from gmail to google mail;

pop.googlemail.com

smtp.googlemail.com

problem solved.

I found the same issues this morning.  ATT not helpful at all wanted me to pay and would not guarantee they could fix it for the low price of $129.95.    Found this link in earlier postings on this thread. 

The fix is change to change the POP and SMTP from gmail to google mail;

pop.googlemail.com

smtp.googlemail.com

problem solved.

27 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 9:37:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

That did the trick! Thanks

That did the trick! Thanks

28 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 11:49:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just this morning I have not been able to dowload pop mail from gmail.  I tried the suggested change from gmail.com to googlemail.com and it did not help. I had some chats with ATT but they said that no one else was having this problem. 

(I had the problems earlier, possibly it was 3/26 when the others had the problem, and spoke to the tech support who wasted a lot of time with my configuration and finally I told them, this is my gmail account and this is my ATT account, and they did something to make it work)

If anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

Just this morning I have not been able to dowload pop mail from gmail.  I tried the suggested change from gmail.com to googlemail.com and it did not help. I had some chats with ATT but they said that no one else was having this problem. 

(I had the problems earlier, possibly it was 3/26 when the others had the problem, and spoke to the tech support who wasted a lot of time with my configuration and finally I told them, this is my gmail account and this is my ATT account, and they did something to make it work)

If anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

29 of 31 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2010 2:10:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

It started to work again, with no change on my part, so I guess it was ATT screwing around with the servers.

It started to work again, with no change on my part, so I guess it was ATT screwing around with the servers.

30 of 31 (1,401 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments