Uverse and Steam Games?

Contributor

Uverse and Steam Games?

Hello,

I've tried setting up a computer with DMZPlus and hosting a steam game. However I can not direct connect to it. I've hosted other apps / servers before and this wasnt a problem; anyone encountered this and know a workaround? Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
Scholar

Re: Uverse and Steam Games?

This game connection issue sounds very similar to the other post nearby.  Could you describe a little more what you mean by "direct connect"?  I suspect these both might have a similar issue / answer.

One thing I am curious about is if you place a machine in DMZPlus mode - do recall that it will be issued a 'public' IP address.

Hence if you try to connect to it from another machine on your home network - routing to that "public" IP address might be problematic. As the RG would have to essentially NAT your connection out and back in to itself.  Something makes me think this might not work too well.

Just curious how much snooping and testing you have done on this issue.

Message 2 of 7
Contributor

=====================================

This game connection issue sounds very similar to the other post nearby.  Could you describe a little more what you mean by "direct connect"?  I suspect these both might have a similar issue / answer.

One thing I am curious about is if you place a machine in DMZPlus mode - do recall that it will be issued a 'public' IP address.

Hence if you try to connect to it from another machine on your home network - routing to that "public" IP address might be problematic. As the RG would have to essentially NAT your connection out and back in to itself.  Something makes me think this might not work too well.

Just curious how much snooping and testing you have done on this issue.

===================================== 

I'll try and go into more detail. I set up an extra cp I have on my net as a DMZPlus machine, I want people to connect to it outside of my network. This has worked previously on other games hosting > 20 people at once, however steam games seem to not allow anyone to direct connect to it, nor allow me to connect to it on my home network. I have a feeling its the built in firewall not allowing incoming connections, i've turned pretty much every option I can off or on on the firewall setting page, yet It still shows on the 'special' view of certain incoming things being blocked:

Firewall Configuration
inbound KILL_HTTP, KILL_HTTPS, KILL_FTP, KILL_TELNET, KILL_SMTP, KILL_DNS, KILL_POP3, KILL_IMAP, KILL_NNTP, KILL_IRC, KILL_H323, KILL_NETBIOS, KILL_OTHER

I'm guessing its one of these, but can't get rid of those. Currently I'm not worried about connecting to the machine on my local network, if I could just get one person to connect to it from the outside I would be happy and be able to get the rest of it working.

Just a fyi - I also dyndns'ed my IP so people can use that to connect. I've tried connecting from work to home, home to home using both with the dyndns name and the IP; also have changed different ports to what I was running my last game on, but no go.

I've spent ~20 hours already on this.

Message 3 of 7
Contributor

Also, I'm able to vnc / remote into that computer at home and work using both type of ips. Just more info...
Message 4 of 7
Contributor

Now, my connection somehow keep getting disconnected (the light blinking red) every now and then while playing Counter StrikeSmiley Frustratedource.

I notice that almost everytime I play CSSmiley Frustrated for less than an hour or so, my connection seems hanging and then dropped, and there goes the red blinking again.

I notice this after 2-3 times playing CSSmiley Frustrated.  I thought the modem needs to be replaced "again". Calling 1-800 number it doesnt help at all.

From this experience I conclude that Uverse is definetely not for gamers.

Cheers. 

Message 5 of 7
Scholar

Just as an experiment I put up BF2 Server and had some folks connect to it. I had 32 on it and it was up for about 16 hours with no problems. What do the stats look like on the RG? If the red blinking is what I think it is, it is probably a connection problem between the RG and the VRAD, especially because you said they already replaced the RG. The stats page should give us more info.
Message 6 of 7
Guru

Do yourself a BIG favor... if you are a gamer and are either going to share the line while you are gaming or host games... get a router and use that. Connect your router (Linksys etc...) to your RG and then DMZ the router.

I have found that a real router does a MUCH better job for gaming verse the Uverse router.

With the uverse router, for example, I was fine when I was the only one using the line. When I added my sons 360 and ventrilo (voice) it went to pot. Same goes for hosting games.

Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support