Helpful Links

Uverse and Router

Tutor

Uverse and Router

I have a D-Link router connected to my Uverse RG. The internet works when connected to the router and we're able to watch TV normally through the main DVR unit connected to the dlink. The only problem is that the other receivers aren't able to connect to it and browse recordings. I've gone through the process of assigning DMZplus mode to the dlink and it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 8
Expert

Re: Uverse and Router

You must have the U-verse DVR and STB's connected to the U-verse RG not to the D-Link router.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Mentor

DVR & STBs do not work good behind a secondary ROUTER, if you are needing more connections you can put a switch between the 2wire and the boxes but AT&T does not like to do that.  The best for TV is directly to the 2wire, next is thru a switch.  2wire uses MAC addresses to assign network IP address and some routers will not pass mac addresses thru.

Message 3 of 8
Highlighted

Yep... keep all stbs on the uverse switch and let all your PCs and other networked devices be behind your DLINK router. One complication with this is if you use the media share feature... but that can also be solved by having a second NIC on your PC/device that contains the media, linked to the RG on its subnet.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 8
Tutor

Well what doesn't make sense is that this exact same setup (with an Apple Airport Extreme instead of DLINK) worked perfectly at our old place. We were able to access all recordings on the DVR on other TVs that were connected straight into the RG. Why would it work with one router and not the other? I did notice that the web interface for the RG is slightly different than our last one.

Tags (2)
Message 5 of 8
Tutor

Why would you even need a secondary router? The u-verse RG has a firewall in it.
Message 6 of 8
Guru

heybro wrote:

Well what doesn't make sense is that this exact same setup (with an Apple Airport Extreme instead of DLINK) worked perfectly at our old place. We were able to access all recordings on the DVR on other TVs that were connected straight into the RG. Why would it work with one router and not the other? I did notice that the web interface for the RG is slightly different than our last one.

Perhaps the Airport was smart enough to pass multicast packets; I don't know.  But the vast, vast majority of routers won't, so putting the set-top boxes behind a second router almost never works.

Tags (2)
Message 7 of 8
Guru

deichkorn wrote:
Why would you even need a secondary router? The u-verse RG has a firewall in it.

It's not very powerful or flexible, though.  It's decent enough for simple installs, but the wireless on it is so-so (IMO) and it has no provisions for QOS, tuning, etc.

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support