Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

The only mute button on the remote I can see controls the TV remote function.  My girlfriend and I have noticed that on several occasions when trying to use the remote in the dark that somehow the STB goes into remote mode.  We have no idea how this happens or how to undo it without having to get up and reset the STB!

 

Other than that, everything works just fin for the most part.  I'd like to know what the deal is with the mysterious mute though.

 

thanks for any thoughts.

 

 

Message 1 of 17 (20,482 Views)
Expert

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

I have read posts where people have had the stb muted.  Take a look at the link below for some of the posts.  I usually get a channel description that I can't find a way to get to when the lights are on.  I have gotten several times when working the remote in the dark though.

 

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=13943&query.id=2815...

 

Message 2 of 17 (20,482 Views)
Mentor

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow


jackasspenguin wrote:

The only mute button on the remote I can see controls the TV remote function.  My girlfriend and I have noticed that on several occasions when trying to use the remote in the dark that somehow the STB goes into remote mode.  We have no idea how this happens or how to undo it without having to get up and reset the STB!

 

Other than that, everything works just fin for the most part.  I'd like to know what the deal is with the mysterious mute though.

 

thanks for any thoughts.

 

 


Join the club.  There are numerous complaints of this happening.  See here

 

Basically, it's because the STB is sensitive to the light given off by features of the television.  There is no fix that I know of, but the workaround is to disable such controls on the TV.  The links I provided will give you all the info you need.  Unfortunately for me, my TV isn't LCD, and I have disabled all of these features and still have the problem.  It's frustrating.

Message 3 of 17 (20,482 Views)

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

Well from actually watching the STB go into mute instantaneously I know that somehow it has that function!  During normal operation the mute button on the remote, controls the TV, not the STB!   So, somehow, the STB is getting the info from the heavens or whatever to go into mute. I know this because it states MUTE on the TV and produces no sound thereafter.

 

It's no big deal though.  I've figured you can restart or reset the box with the remote control.  It's just a strange happening. it doesn't happen so often I can't deal with it.

 

Thanks:smileywink:

Message 4 of 17 (20,482 Views)
Mentor

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow


jackasspenguin wrote:

Well from actually watching the STB go into mute instantaneously I know that somehow it has that function!  During normal operation the mute button on the remote, controls the TV, not the STB!   So, somehow, the STB is getting the info from the heavens or whatever to go into mute. I know this because it states MUTE on the TV and produces no sound thereafter.

 

It's no big deal though.  I've figured you can restart or reset the box with the remote control.  It's just a strange happening. it doesn't happen so often I can't deal with it.

 

Thanks:smileywink:


I found it amusing that there was no way to take it out of mute.  Perhaps if the television was never programmed into the remote, the mute button would control the STB.  While you are correct that it's not that big of a deal to reboot the STB, you probably won't be too happy when it happens as you are recording a program.  That has happened to me twice, and I end up with my recorded program being split into two files and several minutes missing.  

Message 5 of 17 (20,482 Views)

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

yeah, probably so.  I think I'm just going to be a bit more conscience about handling the remote as to not piss it off and send the STB into mute or whatever.  My cat likes to step on it and change channels or a host of other apps.  Oh, the other thing that irritates me about the remote is that it's black on the bottom. So, if you have black sheets and the remote is up side down, it's quite a challenge to fine the darn thing.  I guess I'm going to have to bust out the white electrical tape and customize it somehow.  I just got the safety orange Dare cover for my phone and that seems to help.  We just spent the entire evening and morning looking for the other bedroom remote and was finally found after my girlfriend mistakenly put it in her purse of all places. :smileywink:
Message 6 of 17 (20,482 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

Next time it happens, follow the instructions here and you can umute the Uverse box and relink the

TV to the remote:

 

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&view=by_date_ascending&message...

 

I've had it happen a couple of times and this works great.  By the way it's nothing you did that caused

it to mute, just one of Uverse's quirks, just like the other day when pressing FF on a recording and the

VOD blue screen came up. :smileyvery-happy:

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 17 (20,482 Views)

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

that didn't work. There is no enter key and I used the OK key instead.  It just froze for a second and returned to it's normal function.  I couldn't get it to work the STB mute or volume.
Message 8 of 17 (20,482 Views)
Contributor

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

I asume you have a very nice High Def Tv. It is known Fact that a UF Remote with get interfernce from the light that comes out of your tv. What is happening is the light in the tv is so bright it scrambles the Remtoe signal and causes delays and weird  things to go on. Get real close to the box and see if it stops. But if it does mute just go to menu and to restart from the remote control. The only fix for your problem will be a RF Remote about 60 on the ATT store. I have one and have had the same issues. Hope This helps you. Thanks

Message 9 of 17 (20,482 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

'Enter/Zoom' key is lower right on the Uverse remote. :smileyvery-happy:

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 17 (20,482 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow


kzaha wrote:

I asume you have a very nice High Def Tv. It is known Fact that a UF Remote with get interfernce from the light that comes out of your tv. What is happening is the light in the tv is so bright it scrambles the Remtoe signal and causes delays and weird  things to go on. Get real close to the box and see if it stops. But if it does mute just go to menu and to restart from the remote control. The only fix for your problem will be a RF Remote about 60 on the ATT store. I have one and have had the same issues. Hope This helps you. Thanks


Generally only on LCDs and I'd advise you check for these settings on your advanced settings on the

menu: Dynamic Contrast, Auto or Ambient Brightness, Energy Saver or Auto Iris. If you have any of

them or similar ones try turning them 'off' one by one until you find the culprit, then turn the non-offending

ones back on to double check. All of these can cause Uverse remote problems w/an LCD. :smileywink:

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 17 (19,601 Views)
Mentor

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow


mibrnsurg wrote:

Next time it happens, follow the instructions here and you can umute the Uverse box and relink the

TV to the remote:

 

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&view=by_date_ascending&message...

 

I've had it happen a couple of times and this works great.  By the way it's nothing you did that caused

it to mute, just one of Uverse's quirks, just like the other day when pressing FF on a recording and the

VOD blue screen came up. :smileyvery-happy:

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

This may not be a "fix", but it sure beats the alternative.  Thanks for pointing us to this.  

Message 12 of 17 (19,601 Views)

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

Awesome! That works great.  I guess the next time it happens I have the power to conquer.  Just remember 955 and a few steps to rix it.

 

Great! Thanks!

Message 13 of 17 (19,601 Views)
Contributor

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

I have had the same issue with the remote being slow to respond and the mysterious mute. My TV is an lcd connected with component cables. I put a blanket over the tv and the remote responded quickly and no mute. So obviously there was some interference from the light emitting from the tv. But then I connected the HDMI cable instead of the component cables and the remote worked perfectly....so this just makes it a little more confusing...the hdmi solved this problem for me

Message 14 of 17 (19,601 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Uverse Remote goes into mysterious mute somehow

Use my link above for the mute problem and for the LCD check for these settings on your advanced settings on the menu: Dynamic Contrast, Auto or Ambient Brightness, Energy/Power Saver or Auto Iris.


If you have any of them or similar ones try turning them 'off' one by one until you find the culprit, then turn the non-offending ones back on to double check. All of these can cause Uverse remote problems w/an LCD.  Good luck :smileywink:


Edit: Changing from compomemt to HDMI will not fix the LCD/remote problems, so use the info here when the problems resurface.

 

Chris

______________________________________________________________________

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 17 (19,601 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.