Uverse DVR not quite as good as Directv

Teacher

Uverse DVR not quite as good as Directv

I just got my Uverse HD Dvr installed, and while I'm pretty pleased, it doesn't seem to have quite the picture that my DTV dvr has: it seems a little less detailed, less "like looking through a window". Also, the 30 second skip isn't as good: it takes a second for the audio to resume, and it's not as instantaneous. I do like being able to watch the dvr from the other STB, though. We'll see.
Message 1 of 15 (446 Views)
Expert

Re: Uverse DVR not quite as good as Directv

Welcome to U-verse!

The U-verse HD picture quality is independent of the U-verse DVR.

Message 2 of 15 (446 Views)
Expert

Welcome to Uverse.  How do you have your tv connected to your stb?  Is it coax, component, composite, or hdmi?
Message 3 of 15 (446 Views)
Teacher

Do you feel that Uverse is not quite as good as Directv on picture quality?
Message 4 of 15 (446 Views)
Expert

It looks as good as DTV on my sets.  I have less pixelization with Uverse than I did with DTV.  I realize that there is such a thing as YRMV, but I would not go back to DTV.
Message 5 of 15 (446 Views)
Teacher

My STB is connected to my receiver with HDMI, then my receiver to the TV with HDMI: same setup as my DTV box. I guess I'm just being picky: it looks pretty good, just not quite up to the level of the DTV picture. I have them both connected, and I switch back and forth on the same material.
Message 6 of 15 (446 Views)
Teacher

Oh, and there's this: I heard the installer ask his supervisor over the phone if it was acceptable to use CAT3 to power a STB and then reply, "that's all I needed to hear". I asked him about this, and he said that it would make no difference between CAT3 and CAT5. Am I going to experience problems with CAT3 cable? My DTV install used coax.
Message 7 of 15 (446 Views)
Expert

Pipper wrote:
Oh, and there's this: I heard the installer ask his supervisor over the phone if it was acceptable to use CAT3 to power a STB and then reply, "that's all I needed to hear". I asked him about this, and he said that it would make no difference between CAT3 and CAT5. Am I going to experience problems with CAT3 cable? My DTV install used coax.

How is the Cat3 cable used?  What port of the RG and what port of the STB is that plugged into?

Message 8 of 15 (446 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Technically CAT3 can be used to run an STB as it only requires two of the three pairs to transmit signal on. I personally wouldn't do it but that is just me. I would either ask the tech to run a new CAT5 or COAX run, whichever he prefers.
Message 9 of 15 (446 Views)
Expert

Cat3 can only be used via HPNA over phone wire using a phone wire to coax balun at the STB.  The RG actually can do this, but it is only very rarely done.

Using Cat3 with RJ45 plugs on each end and plugging them into the Ethernet jacks of the RG and the STB is wrong.  Cat3 is out of spec for 100 Mbps Ethernet -- this will cause corrupted packets on the network, which will result in freezing and pixelation on the STB.

Message 10 of 15 (446 Views)
Teacher

I finally looked on the back of the dvr, and the only wire going in to the dvr is coax. CAT5e is going to the RG.

When watching recorded football, I see some "fuzziness" or small pixelization when the camera is panning on a player, for example, as he's jogging back to the huddle. DTV was rock solid smooth on movement like this. Also, when I press the 45 second skip button, it takes about 3 seconds for the audio to resume: DTV was instantaneous. Does everyone have this experience, or do I have an issue?

I miss the ability of the dvr to jump ahead in 15 minute increments, and the 30 second skip, too.

Message 11 of 15 (285 Views)
Expert

Pipper wrote:

I finally looked on the back of the dvr, and the only wire going in to the dvr is coax. CAT5e is going to the RG.

When watching recorded football, I see some "fuzziness" or small pixelization when the camera is panning on a player, for example, as he's jogging back to the huddle. DTV was rock solid smooth on movement like this. Also, when I press the 45 second skip button, it takes about 3 seconds for the audio to resume: DTV was instantaneous. Does everyone have this experience, or do I have an issue?

I miss the ability of the dvr to jump ahead in 15 minute increments, and the 30 second skip, too.

Some have posted that watching football games in hd was not the best.  I have seen ota, DTV, and Comcast hd and I saw the same problems.  Which leads me to think the problem is generated at the broadcast end of the chain.   This is why most of the hd will look great and other times it doesn't look as good.  Mainly when watching live events such as football games.  Others will be along to chime in and give suggestions/opinions though.  Some say having all Cat5 is better, others say they have coax with no issues, and still others say they have a Cat5 coax combination.

Message 12 of 15 (285 Views)
Teacher

I wonder, if I find uverse tv be unacceptable and cancel it, but keep uverse voice and internet, what it will do to my pricing?
Message 13 of 15 (285 Views)
ACE - Expert

If you have a bundle discount on TV and any other, you will lose it and just pay the current rates for

internet and phone. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 15 (285 Views)
Teacher

ugh, i was afraid of that.
Message 15 of 15 (285 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.