Ask a question

Posted Dec 11, 2010
4:59:13 AM
View profile
Uverse DVR and electrical interference

Hello all,

I need your assistance. I am a 5-month old uverse user. I have DVR-HD, 2 receivers, internet plus phone service. I also have a total home surround sound system..Mitsubishi 55 inch HD1080 with a Denon receiver with Subwoofer, B&W speakers plus DVD, VCR, Cassette and another Sony Audio/Video Control Center system for the speakers which are wired throughout the house (in other rooms). My problem began two weeks ago when all of my 70+ recorded shows were erased. I called support and was told that there was a system update which caused the blurp. They had me reboot the system and told me that if there was a problem - it would show itself in the next 3-5 days. Last night, my receiver went down causing all services to go down. The technician came and isolated the problem to the area in the family room where my home system is located. When the ATT Receiver or DVR(we exchange the systems to see if it was the DVR) is plugged in (along with the other electronics), the ATT receiver (Hub) goes down. I have several surge protectors and the ATT technician went out to his truck and brought in another surge protector which showed some kind of fault(a red light), but his tools showed that the wiring was grounded. Nevertheless to say, he left saying that it is an electrical problem and he's not an electrician. I asked him to call his boss who gave me an option: he could connect the receiver directly to my tv and disconnect all of my surround sound components. This doesn't work because the Denon is the brain and all component go through the Denon. That's how we change from TV, DVD, VCR, Wii etc. I opted to unplug the receiver in the family room until I can get a more logical answer and resolution. This surround sound setup is 10 years old, the ATT uverse receiver is 5 months old. So, worse case, I will go back to Comcrap for total home viewing. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I don't understand how something could work for 5 months and then blurp. Should I call an electrician? Is there some kind of shielding that ATT can provide for its system? thanks in advance.

Uverse DVR and electrical interference

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 6:30:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

Additional information: This morning, all receivers are working except the one with the family room. I plugged the coaxial cable from the wall to the ATT receiver next to the tv, (but didn't plug the electical plug of the receiver), and the ATT Gateway went crazy and failed. I unplugged the ATT receiver and all other services are working again. So, to me it seems to be something in the coaxial connection. This connection was a cable drop and ATT placed their uverse stuff inside the faceplate to make it work as ATT uverse.  Is there anything that can be done to the ATT uverse connection to allow this to work again?

Re: Uverse DVR and electrical interference

2 of 15 (2,614 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 7:19:15 AM
(0)
Guru

My guess would be that there is stray voltage on the coax line that terminates in your family room. This could explain why once it is connected to a device (whether the device is energized or not), it causes the gateway to crash. You could run a new coax, but an electrician would be best equipped to find the source. 

3 of 15 (2,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 10:43:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the information. I have an electrician coming tomorrow. Do you think ATT would run the new coaxial cable as a part of getting the system to run with my sound system. Or do I need to get the electrician to run a coaxial cable and then call ATT to come add the uverse stuff to the cable. I actually got it to work after fumbling with the coaxial cable in the wall. Thanks for your info.

4 of 15 (2,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 2:40:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

Update: I noticed that all of my Audio Theater Equipment had the heavy shielded coaxial cable attached where there was coaxial. So, I went to Radio Shack and picked up a quad shielded coax cable for the wall to the uverse receiver connection. I also put a choke core on the power cord for the uverse receiver. So far, I'm watching my tv with surround system.  I also noticed that I have a heavy coax to the tv from the uverse receiver plus a red, blue, green component cable (Pr,Py, Pb) running from the uverse receiver to the tv as well as the typical yellow, white, and red (audio/video component) running from the uverse receiver to the tv. Isn't that too much? Shouldn't I use the HDMI for high def? Wouldn't the number of cables have something to do with the amount of interference? I'm going to reserarch the best method for HD connection. Any thoughts?

5 of 15 (2,550 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 4:00:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Update: The gateway went down again. I unplug the coax from the wall to the att receiver and everything except the tv in the family room is working. I guess I will wait to see what the electrician says tomorrow. Not sure what the problem is.

6 of 15 (2,531 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 4:29:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Send David an email and give him all of the info you can.  Use the hyperlink in my sig and it will take you to his contact info.  David is a tier 2 tech who has helped many people with a wide variety of problems.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 15 (2,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 4:55:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you. Will do. Just had a thought...would Christmas lights in the neighborhood interfere? Yesterday and today, the uverse went out around 5:45-6:00 when all of my neighbor's Christmas lights come on..

8 of 15 (2,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2010 5:43:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I wouldn't rule that out completely.  You might want to try plugging in the RG to a line filtering ac power strip.  I have seen recommendations here in the forum but I don't know what it is called.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 15 (2,490 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2010 6:29:44 AM
(0)
Guru

I must say, it does seem you have a lot of unnecessary spaghetti between your DVR and TV. Assuming you want to use your Denon for audio, you only need an optical audio connection from the DVR to your Denon, and component video from the DVR to your TV. All those other SD and audio connections are superfluous, unless you sometimes want to watch TV without turning on the home theater, in which case you'd keep the direct audio connection. 

10 of 15 (2,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 12, 2010 2:49:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Junior Warrior!

Could you describe what the optical audio connection and the component video connection so I know for sure which ones are needed? My Denon actually controls whether we are viewing TV, DVD, VCR etc. Volume on TV is on zero. All volume comes through Denon and speakers. I am willing to try anything at this point. If the problem is on schedule, Uverse will go down in about an hour and I will have to unplug the receiver in the family and watch one of the other tvs in our bedroom. Right now, we are watching football in the family room. Yippee! thanks.

11 of 15 (1,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2010 3:03:21 PM
(0)
Guru

rojacks:

The best place to start would be the U-verse Installation Manual. Page 21 shows a typical home theater connection. You also want to study the manual that comes with your Denon. The possible connection scenarios are numerous, but the one you choose depends on your equipment and usage preferences. Then, if you have specific questions about digital vs stereo audio, or HDMI vs component, or anything else, post them here and help will be fast and furious.

I'm still concerned that you may have a ground fault issue in your home (many do; mine did) and the sooner you address it, the better. Something is crashing your gateway when you connect your coax, and you need to find out why.  

12 of 15 (1,436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 10:59:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ground fault sounds about right!

13 of 15 (1,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2010 6:14:36 PM
(0)
Tutor
The electrician said that there wasnt any noise or electrical interference in the electrical wiring or outside circuits. I have enjoyed 3 nights of tv in the family room. I will place a call to ATT and see if someone can come out and check the coax cable to the receiver. I'm just surprised that some nights it works and some nights it doesn't. I will keep you posted. Thanks all.

14 of 15 (1,377 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 9:40:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Have you used UVerse Realtime?  Can you post your screenshots?  http://uverserealtime.com/

15 of 15 (1,322 Views)