Uverse DNS

Uverse DNS

I know I can't change the external DNS on the router due to the IPTV, but I'm having major slowness related to the uverse dns.  When I run full DHCP on my laptop the internet lags, but when I change my DNS to opendns everything loads instantly.  Is this a known issue?  Any way to fix this other than set per laptop?  I have a Mac Server on my network that I could setup as a DHCP server, just trying to figure out what's wrong with the uverse dns.

Thanks,

Tim

Message 1 of 7
Expert

Re: Uverse DNS

The U-Verse RG has a known issue with slow DNS lookups.  Using OpenDNS is a great workaround, but requires entering the OpenDNS entries on each computer individually.

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Mentor

I work from home and am on the internet about 12 hours a day for work.  I have noticed that about half of noncached dns lookups are timed out/404.  This to me is not an acceptable success/fail rate.  It would be great to see this at the top of the bug list.
Message 3 of 7

The need to use their DNS for the iptv makes sense, but they should allow us to change the dns that is used with the dhcp scope for all computers in the house.  They give the option to turn off dhcp, so i might just setup my own dhcp server...
Message 4 of 7
Expert

linedpaper wrote:
The need to use their DNS for the iptv makes sense, but they should allow us to change the dns that is used with the dhcp scope for all computers in the house.  They give the option to turn off dhcp, so i might just setup my own dhcp server...

The STBs use DHCP to configure themselves.  If you set up your own DHCP server, you will need to specially program it so that the information handed out to the STBs is identical to what the RG would give them.

Alternatively, you can put your own router into the network and put your computers behind that router.  That way you can program your own router to hand out any DNS you want to your computers, and the STBs will remain connected to the RG and get their DHCP info from there.

Message 5 of 7
Professor

If you wanted to you could, in theory, set up your own DHCP server and use the Moto/Cisco (depending on brand of STBs used) MAC OUI/vendorclass to give different information via DHCP than your other hosts...

Edit: Guess I basically just restated what SomeJoe said, but it should work just fine either way.

Message Edited by Koolkid1935 on 11-26-2009 02:44 AM
Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

loki_racer wrote:
I work from home and am on the internet about 12 hours a day for work.  I have noticed that about half of noncached dns lookups are timed out/404.  This to me is not an acceptable success/fail rate.  It would be great to see this at the top of the bug list.

According to dnsguy at dslreports.com, it is the 2wire RG w/dns problems. A good work around is to

hard code the ATT DNS servers in your connections wired/wireless in the lower right corner of your

Windows taskbar (could also go in through Network Connections, right click on the connection,

choose 'properties').

Double click the wired (do the wireless one next if installed and active) connection, click 'properties',

double click 'internet protocol (TCP/IP)', leave 'obtain IP address' alone. chose 'use the following dns

servers' , plug in 68.94.156.1 and then 68.94.157.1, then click 'ok', then 'ok' again and 'close'.

For good measure bring up a command prompt and run 'ipconfig /flushdns' then press 'enter', you

should be good to go w/o any page load or graphic load problems or 'looking up...' waiting times.

I had tried openDNS, but ended up having these same problems and went back to ATT DNS servers

and have had no problems since then. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 7
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support