Using my own router with the Moto modem -- simplest setup ever, won't work!

Tutor

Using my own router with the Moto modem -- simplest setup ever, won't work!

Hi folks,

I thought this would be the easiest thing in the world, but I can't make it work and I'd kill for some advice.

Here are the basics:

I have U-verse internet only; no other features, no cable, no TV, no media devices, etc.  All I need is a simple wi-fi setup to cover my house.  I have a perfectly functional Linksys WRT54GL (running the great Tomato firmware from http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato), so when I signed up for U-verse, I ordered the less expensive Motorola 2210-02-1ATT instead of the 2Wire device, figuring I could just plug in my Linksys router and set up the wi-fi.

Having run through ATT's setup, my connectivity now works perfectly when the computer is plugged directly into the modem, but I can't figure out the router config settings to make wi-fi work.  I can connect my computer wirelessly to the router, but it doesn't have internet access.  The router is set to use DHCP and all the other settings are basically the defaults -- this seems like it should be so simple that I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting it.  Can you help?

Thanks so much.

Message 1 of 14
Tutor

Re: Using my own router with the Moto modem -- simplest setup ever, won't work!

Oh man... I thought this was going to be an easy one for y'all!

Just in case I didn't make any sense before, here's the deal: I got the Motorola modem from AT&T, not the 2Wire RG.  Maybe that was a dumb move, but I didn't need the router (or so I thought!) and I always prefer to have discrete modem and router for better control.  Also, if it matters: I have no features other than U-verse internet -- and only 3Mbit because that's the fastest they'll sell me.  Not sure why...

The modem works perfectly -- that's how I'm connected and typing this now.  But if I plug in my Linksys WRT54GL router, it's unable to connect.  Here are the router's settings:

Type: DHCP

MTU: Default (1500)

LAN:

-Router IP Address: 192.168.1.1

-Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

-Static DNS: 0.0.0.0 (listed 3 times!)

DHCP Server: Enabled

-Start: 192.168.1.100

-End: 192.168.1.149

-Lease Time: 1440 (minutes)

-WINS: 0.0.0.0

I'll gladly share any other settings if needed.

I'm dying here -- please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!  Thanks so much for your help...

Message 2 of 14
Mentor

Have you tried power-cycling the modem once you have the router plugged in?

I know many cable modems only allow a single device to connect and require a power cycle if you change the computer/router, maybe that's happenning here?

Alternately, if your router has an option to change the MAC address of its WAN port, try setting it the same as your computer's MAC address to fool the modem into thinking the computer is still connected.

Message 3 of 14
Tutor

Oh man, I *so* wish that was the problem!  Great suggestion, MCP, but I tried a power cycle and that doesn't seem to work.  Thanks for the thought.

Who else has a great idea for me!?

Many thanks for your help...

Message 4 of 14
Mentor

Could it be an issue with DNS settings?

What happens if you try to ping 69.16.169.95 ?

If that works, but you can't ping www.easynews.com, then your problem is with your DNS.

If it doesn't work, you still might get some information from the ping command that would help with the troubleshooting.

Also, when you have your router connected, does it have a web page that you can access to see what it's WAN port settings are?  If it's not getting a proper IP address, gateway, or other information from the modem, then that could cause problems.  Compare the settings the router gets from the modem to the settings the computer gets when it is connected directly to the modem.

Message 5 of 14
urd
Tutor

Try setting the Router IP Address to 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.2.1.  I originally ordered a Moto thinking about the same setup but got shipped a 2wire instead and would still like to get one if you can figure this out. The 2wire works fine incase you're wondering (just big and I have no need for the router functions) and you should still be able to get an exhange within 30 days.

Message 6 of 14
Tutor

MCP wrote:

Could it be an issue with DNS settings?

What happens if you try to ping 69.16.169.95 ?

If that works, but you can't ping www.easynews.com, then your problem is with your DNS.

If it doesn't work, you still might get some information from the ping command that would help with the troubleshooting.

Also, when you have your router connected, does it have a web page that you can access to see what it's WAN port settings are?  If it's not getting a proper IP address, gateway, or other information from the modem, then that could cause problems.  Compare the settings the router gets from the modem to the settings the computer gets when it is connected directly to the modem.

Thanks MCP -- more good suggestions, but no luck.  When plugged directly into the modem, I can ping both the IP address and the URL; running through the router, I can't ping either.

The computer and the router both get assigned IP address 192.168.1.64 when connected to the modem. Both see the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 and the DNS as 192.168.1.254 (the modem's IP).  It seems like a healthy connection in every way except that despite solid computer-router and router-modem connectivity, the computer simply can't talk to the modem or beyond.

It occurred to me that this could be the router's firewall preventing traffic from passing through, but I tried setting the router in DMZ mode (this lets all traffic pass through, right?) and it didn't help.

I'm still at a loss here; I'd welcome any further suggestions.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
Tutor

urd wrote:

Try setting the Router IP Address to 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.2.1.  I originally ordered a Moto thinking about the same setup but got shipped a 2wire instead and would still like to get one if you can figure this out. The 2wire works fine incase you're wondering (just big and I have no need for the router functions) and you should still be able to get an exhange within 30 days.

URD, I changed the router's IP address to 192.168.1.2 -- I could see the change reflected everywhere, but it had no effect.  I'm definitely considering returning this Moto modem and getting the 2Wire router -- or maybe even giving up and switching to Comcast -- but I really don't want to... nor does it feel like I should have to go to such lengths to make something so simple work.

Anybody else have ideas/suggestions?  With all the posts on people going to great lengths to plug a router into the 2Wire RG, I can't believe there aren't tons of people who have figured out how to solve this exact problem.  Please help!

Thanks..

Message 8 of 14
urd
Tutor

Some people seem to have luck using router ip address192.168.2.1 and unchecking "Yes, Use Public IP Address" option. Might also try to clone the MAC address of the modem.

Message 9 of 14
Mentor

Looking back through the posts, it appears that the modem is granting an IP address in the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, and your router is set to also grant IP addresses in the 192.168.1.xxx subnet.

Since both the LAN and WAN of the router are in the same subnet, maybe that is confusing it, and it doesn't know how to route messages between the computer and modem.

As others have suggested, try setting the router's LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1 and have it grant IP addresses in the 192.168.2.xxx subnet and see if that helps.

When you are trying to ping through the router, what sort of result do you get from ping?

'Request timed out' would indicate that the ping requests are being sent out properly, but the router may not be forwarding the ping replies.

'No route to Host' or 'Destination unreachable' indicates that the PC (or maybe router) cant figure out where to send the ping packets.

Since the router is able to get an IP address from the modem, I doubt cloning the PC's MAC address onto the router's WAN port will gain anything.

Message 10 of 14
Tutor

ZOMG, it works!  You guys were right -- it was the conflict in the 192.168.1.xxx range.  As soon as I changed the router's IP address to 192.168.2.1, everything is working properly.  I think we're in business.

Thanks so much for the help -- I can't tell you how happy I am to be up and running.

Message 11 of 14
Mentor

That's great.

Enjoy!

Message 12 of 14
urd
Tutor

Can you open some ports and test them at www.canyouseeme.org? Some people have reported that the Moto blocks any port forwarding and I would like to confirm before exchanging my 2wire for a Moto.

Message 13 of 14
Contributor

YES THIS WORKED for me also...

to reiterate...i had to change my linksys wireless router IP address.

the default it set to 192.168.1.1

i changed to 192.168.2.1

i left it on DCHP and money!!

thanks guys!

Message 14 of 14
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support